Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important changes at RapidShare.com

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

jeffk wrote: »
    Im 25 days into a year account and im VERY strongly thinking of getting out, as a poster said this is the time to do it and youll get all but the time since you bought it back.

Ive already asked a bit about hotfile in the new downloader site thread. Seems everyone is using hf.

You paid e54 for RS for the 12 months which works out e4.50 a month so you should get nearly e50 refund. Hotfile is e46 for a year. The majority of sites now have HF links as alternative links. I would be extremely tempted if I was you.

Anyone else getting "Invalid request" when they try to log into their RS account?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

AntiRip wrote: »
    You paid e54 for RS for the 12 months which works out e4.50 a month so you should get nearly e50 refund. Hotfile is e46 for a year. The majority of sites now have HF links as alternative links. I would be extremely tempted if I was you.

Cheers, ive emailed rs for the refund and as soon as thats sorted ill get the hf one. A tenner cheaper for a better service, wish i seen this 25 days ago lol.

Anyone else getting "Invalid request" when they try to log into their RS account?

Not for me, maybe you bookmarked it and the location changed with the new rules etc?

jeffk wrote: »
    Not for me, maybe you bookmarked it and the location changed with the new rules etc?

You're dead right ;)

Was using a bookmark, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I only used to pay per month and now this is what they have for my account now

picture.php?albumid=942&pictureid=6686

Does this mean I can only now download 1Gb per day, and if I want to download more I have to change the account to use more rapids. Or is this done automatically if I exceed 1gb. I am still very confused by all this

• Registered Users Posts: 28,745 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I still can't make sense of this crap.. on the old system I paid my €15 (or whatever) for 3 months and could download whatever as I wanted.

There was plenty of days I'd download nothing, and others when I'd hit the daily limit, but to me it was a "pay and forget" system that worked very well for me.

Now we have "rapids" and a convoluted and cryptic new download/pricing policy that to me seems to be a thinly veiled attempt to extract more money from customers.

I won't be renewing when it runs out next month... oh and i just received this email:
    Dear User, Since you have exceeded either your storage volume of 10 GB or your daily traffic volume of 1 GB you have been automatically upgraded from your RapidSmall to a RapidMedium account.

Your total storage space is now 50 GB and you dispose of a daily traffic volume of 5 GB. Furthermore, you will now be able to access our additional feature ?Folder Management? which gives you the opportunity to create your own folders and subfolders. In case of a downgrade your folders will not be deleted. The RapidMedium account costs 20 Rapids per day.

Thank you for using RapidShare. We hope you are happy with our service. Best regards
    Your RapidShare team

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Rapidshare responded to my email of protest.
    Here is their response:
    Hello,

kindly note only the pricing and product model is changing. Instead of selling
    accounts with valid time, we now sell hosting packages with storage and
    download capacity. The usage of our service it self is identical.

Newly you will purchase a flexible amount of Rapids which will be credited to
    your account.

Let us assume that you have an account which runs on the RapidSmall package.
    Then our system will deduct 4 Rapids every day. If on one day your up- or
    download needs change, you can easily switch to a different package. If you
    switch for example to RapidBig, then our system will deduct the difference
    between the two Packages, with other words further 74 Rapids. After the
    upgrade is complete your account is credited with the storage and traffic
    difference of the two packages. In this example additional 199GB storage and
    19GB traffic. If your needs only require a single day of the bigger package,
    you can easily switch back to a smaller package. Kindly note that the smaller
    package comes the next day in affect (24:00 CET).

Since RapidShare Premium account now never expire, only the Hosting-Package
    features will be unavailable when you run out of Rapids.

If you have further question on how to use the new created Hosting-Packages do
    not hesitate and let us know.

Best regards,

Sascha
    RapidShare Support

I still confused as hell.

I was quite happy with the "pay and go" service previous - not this UTTER confusing schite.
    Like I previously said, Hotfile your becoming my main service from now on.

I still haven't got a mail from them after 3.5 days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

As most days I download nothing or less than a gigabyte and it's only every 3 -4 days that I might download more, this new system could work out cheaper. However the inconvenience of having to manage which download package I subscribe to on a daily basis is more than a little annoying. Hopefully JDownloader can come up with a plugin that will automatically change your account to a lower level if it is inactive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

As sink said it could work out cheaper if you remeber to put your package back to rapidsmall everyday you're not downloading.

I had 12 days left on my account and now I have 513 rapids. That's not too bad. Even on medium it would last a month. If they let you carry over some of your rapidsmall traffic then I this would be a LOT cheaper for me.

My main issue is still the withdrawal of a reward scheme which means I may not be able to find files as easy as I use to.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Rapidshare decided to delete my 70gig trafficshare I paid for for no apparent reason? Theyve certainly f*cked up majorly with this one, I have sent a email requesting €7 compensation, I think this is fair as I was not able to use a service I paid for, I'll let you know how it goes,

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

yoyo wrote: »
    Rapidshare decided to delete my 70gig trafficshare I paid for for no apparent reason? Theyve certainly f*cked up majorly with this one, I have sent a email requesting €7 compensation, I think this is fair as I was not able to use a service I paid for, I'll let you know how it goes,

Nick
    Unused Trafficshare was converted into rapids, 5 per GB.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Unused Trafficshare was converted into rapids, 5 per GB.

I really havnt a clue whats going on, maybe its coz I've had a drink but even yesterday sober I couldnt get my head around it, instead of your default daily limit ie 5 gig going over then traffic share being used does traffic share count as your daily rapids or something? Why rapidshare did this I don't know, I cant get my head around it :(

Nick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    I still haven't got a mail from them after 3.5 days
    Took them a good few days to get back to me.

I suspect that they are dealing with that many complaint emails that in an effort to try and hold on to some custom, they are replying (eventually) to them all.

I bet you will hear from they yet!

They really could do with posting some simple plain English instructions, I still only half think I know what they mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Just went looking for something on a very popular and reliable site and could find on RS links just Hotfile and a few others. Just signed up for a Hotfile account now. 7 euro for 30 days and it's as fast as RS is and I can find what I want.

May be the new one. But i'll have RS for a little while too.

yoyo wrote: »
    I really havnt a clue whats going on, maybe its coz I've had a drink but even yesterday sober I couldnt get my head around it, instead of your default daily limit ie 5 gig going over then traffic share being used does traffic share count as your daily rapids or something? Why rapidshare did this I don't know, I cant get my head around it :(

Nick

Trafficshare is gone now, it doesnt exist. They converted whatever trafficshare you had left into Rapids (5 per GB).

If you're on Rapidsmall you get 1GB per day, and if you go over that, you get automatically bumped up to Rapidmedium (5GB per day) and 20 Rapids get taken from your total. There's no carryover any more.

Trafficshare is gone now, it doesnt exist. They converted whatever trafficshare you had left into Rapids (5 per GB).

If you're on Rapidsmall you get 1GB per day, and if you go over that, you get automatically bumped up to Rapidmedium (5GB per day) and 20 Rapids get taken from your total. There's no carryover any more.

do you stay at rapidmedium after that or do you automatically go back to rapidsmall the next day?

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    do you stay at rapidmedium after that or do you automatically go back to rapidsmall the next day?

You stay at Rapidmedium. You have to manually set it back every time :rolleyes:

Also the bit/byte thing has caught some people out, so if you are trying to cut it fine make sure you know which units your download manager is using.

• Advertisement

You stay at Rapidmedium. You have to manually set it back every time :rolleyes:

Also the bit/byte thing has caught some people out, so if you are trying to cut it fine make sure you know which units your download manager is using.

Ah to be honest it is not worth the hassle anymore I am going to get rid of my account. Now just have to figure who to go with this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I think it might be time to get over my fear of newsgroups.
    I'd love to look over the shoulder of someone who knows what they're doing regarding newsgroups for 20mins.

SickBoy wrote: »
    I think it might be time to get over my fear of newsgroups.
    I'd love to look over the shoulder of someone who knows what they're doing regarding newsgroups for 20mins.

I actually thought newsgroups was very very complicated but trust me it isn't. Try astraweb with SABnzb+ (it's abit like utorrent without the uploading). You just fill in the settings you get from astraweb and just load the nzbs.

But tbh, I've tried it for awhile and for some reason I just didn't take to it. I find the hosting sites much easier and found RS speeds as quick as newsgroups. You should try out the newsgroups though, just to have that extra option.

This RS system may shaft me though as I share the account with another person, so one of us will forget to manually reset the Rapids. We'll see how it goes..

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭theothers108

Well guys just only found out about these new rates very pissed off, what would u guys recommend as alternative hot file ,megaupload etc????

Well guys just only found out about these new rates very pissed off, what would u guys recommend as alternative hot file ,megaupload etc????

Hotfiles umlimted, costs a 10er less an most file are on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

My account expires on July 18 , as of now I have 669 "rapids" and by default on rapidsmall 1gb perday 4 rapids a day , I would generally float between 1-5 gb a day, so now if i need to go over 1gb I have to go on the site switch to rapidmedium and then remember to switch back later that day :mad:

Edit : I just noticed this on the site "As an added feature, users will have the ability to sell their own files via the Licence Manager."
    Not discouraging to pirates at all , just discouraging to the "scene"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I didnt even get an email about these changes, and only stumbled across them because of this thread. Definitely closing my account now, as i'm mightily confused by some of those changes.

calex71 wrote: »
    so now if i need to go over 1gb I have to go on the site switch to rapidmedium and then remember to switch back later that day :mad:

Do you not automatically go up a level when you go over 1gb and then have to switch back manually yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Do you not automatically go up a level when you go over 1gb and then have to switch back manually yourself?

Yes quiet right, sorry my mistake.

• Advertisement

On a positive note, happy hours still works, scheduled some d/ls last night to test it.

For those who don't know, it means whatever you download between 2am and 10am CET is only counted at 10% of the size. So you could download 10GB on the RapidSmall account (1GB limit normally) before getting shunted to the RapidMedium. And you could download 50GB on RapidMedium instead of 5GB etc.

Thats fine by me. I can stay on the RapidSmall account most of the time, and it'll wind up costing me about €15 per year instead of €55 previously. Big saving. Just means I have to schedule my downloads instead of grabbing them immediately but I can live with that most of the time.

Advertisement