Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important changes at RapidShare.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭corny

If we enter into a contract with them in the first place don't they need our consent to make changes to said contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dizzy_davidh

corny wrote: »
    If we enter into a contract with them in the first place don't they need our consent to make changes to said contract?

In most cases continuing to use their service is agreement enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

I just mailed them to complain...well that's already been done, rather to tell them in no uncertain terms that the new price model sucks.

Sent the link to this thread also.

Mine expires in a month. Think I'll download the rest of the Sopranos now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I mailed them because I must have been served a cached version of the news page and I read that they were offering 10 rapids per day for every day left of premium membership, when the equivalent package (RapidMedium) is 20/day.

It's a shit change. Incredibly convoluted, overlooks a major part of their userbase (downloaders who don't store files) because I'm sure the xGB storage costs RS money, therefore it costs you "rapids" ... Where's the 10Gb/day, 1gb storage package? Want to save some Rapids? Welcome to Account Micromanagement. Now that it's costing you 20 rapids per day as opposed to a yearly fee, there should be no accumulation limit of unused traffic e.g. You take a week's holidays, Day 6 and 7 are costing you 20 rapids/day(on the RapidMedium package) but you reached your 25GB accumulation limit (5 days x 5GB/day) then you shouldn't be charged Rapids for 6 and 7 because now it's a daily fee, not a yearly one.

See? Useless, complicated a bit load of w*nk. Another load of crap is people who already have paid memberships thinking RS has just robbed them - they haven't. Once the change happens, swap packages to RapidMedium and you get the exact same as your current premium account. What's a ripoff is how the charges work out once your premium account is finished, I'll be moving in January unless something drastic changes my mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Well coming up 72 hours since I sent them an email and still no response from them
    Same here. No reply back - not that I'm expecting one to be honest.
    Bye bye Rapidshare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Well its D-day, no news yet. I understand the new system kicks in at 23:00

It kicks in on July 1st, not tonight at 23:00.

I received a reply to my email this morning, they skipped over every one of my points and reiterated what I already gathered - efficient or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

I only got an account around a month ago and I’m wondering can/will they change from the 5GB a day account type to the new ones.

I wasn’t sure @ the start, I assumed you pay for it and use it, no limits, well keep it under the 250 GB to keep Eircom of your back. But now this talk of points and new download system, all I wanted was download full speed with no waiting times.

I’m wishing I went hofile as we speak.

jeffk wrote: »
    I only got an account around a month ago and I’m wondering can/will they change from the 5GB a day account type to the new ones.

Yes.
    They have a bloody cheek. The least you should get, is the service you exactly paid for.

If I was working for the company at lower level, to be honest I'd start worrying.
    If users are going to dump this service (and the indication is that many, many are) to some good extent and move to another then eventually a knock-on of this will be that the company will have to let folk go due to a downturn in revenue/use of their services.

If I was still working for Rapidshare, I'd start now sending out my CV again to other businesses for future jobs just in case.

I no its been said, but surely this is breach of contract and in turn we can claim a refund.

I mean look @ the stink most of us kicked up with Eircom when we didnt get what we paid for. Has anyone enquired about cancelling ?

• Advertisement

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.rapidshare.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Yeah Rapidshare site is now down

SO even if we wanted to see about cancelling after they changed the rules we cant.
    I knew this was to good to be true when I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I no its been said, but surely this is breach of contract and in turn we can claim a refund

Going to fire off an email once I see the detailed article on their site. They've been taking the piss over the last while anyway introducing the daily download limit first and now this.

I've read it a few times and still can't quite get my head around it due to the way its phrased.

Got a megaupload account instead and if the uploaders move to hotfile ill get an account there too. Rapidshare on the other hand will never see another cent from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Just got this email after I sent an email of complaint.
    Hello,

Kindly note only the pricing and product model is changing. Instead of selling
    accounts with valid time, we now sell hosting packages with storage and
    download capacity. The usage of our service it self is identical.

Newly you will purchase a flexible amount of Rapids which will be credited to
    your account.

Let us assume that you have an account which runs on the RapidSmall package.
    Then our system will deduct 4 Rapids every day. If on one day your up- or
    download needs change, you can easily switch to a different package. If you
    switch for example to RapidBig, then our system will deduct the difference
    between the two Packages, with other words further 74 Rapids. After the
    upgrade is complete your account is credited with the storage and traffic
    difference of the two packages. In this example additional 199GB storage and
    19GB traffic. If your needs only require a single day of the bigger package,
    you can easily switch back to a smaller package. Kindly note that the smaller
    package comes the next day in affect (24:00 CET).

Since RapidShare Premium account now never expire, only the Hosting-Package
    features will be unavailable when you run out of Rapids.

If you have further question on how to use the new created Hosting-Packages do
    not hesitate and let us know.

c - 13 wrote: »
    Going to fire off an email once I see the detailed article on their site. They've been taking the piss over the last while anyway introducing the daily download limit first and now this.

I've read it a few times and still can't quite get my head around it due to the way its phrased.

Got a megaupload account instead and if the uploaders move to hotfile ill get an account there too. Rapidshare on the other hand will never see another cent from me.

Yeh im lost, more so than when i started using it and found out there are limits to downloading.

My payment was only on June the 5th, wonder if i open a dispute with paypal claiming I paid for a service that has been changed without prior knowledge or consent on both sides.

webmaster@rapidshare.com is listed on the paypal transaction if people need a point of contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭budhabob

I'm slightly less confused now, but i think its an extremely complicated method of change, and will push customers away while confusing any possible new users. Are the alternatives similar to use? I was introduced to rapidshare a few years ago, and have continued to use that (with flashget).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Yeh im lost, more so than when i started using it and found out there are limits to downloading.

My payment was only on June the 5th, wonder if i open a dispute with paypal claiming I paid for a service that has been changed without prior knowledge or consent on both sides.

You can cancel the rapidshare account and get a refund for whatever months you have left. You have to do it within 4 weeks of receiving the e-mail outlining the changes, if not, it is taken that you agree to the new T&Cs.

You can cancel the rapidshare account and get a refund for whatever months you have left. You have to do it within 4 weeks of receiving the e-mail outlining the changes, if not, it is taken that you agree to the new T&Cs.

Pity the site is down and I didn't read this before i sent this...

"To whom it concerns,

I am writing concerning the change in the terms and conditions of an account I purchased on the 5TH of June. At the time of purchase there was no information forthcoming on the changes that where to be implemented less than a month later. Surely if you where selling a product that was to be in use for 12 months and less than a month into this contract the product has changed, you should have told people before they decided to invest in a yearly account.

As we speak I feel cheating and am very upset , also the terminology and style of writing used to explain the changes is confusing in its very essence. I point you towards the following hyperlink where there are people who feel the very same.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055951489

I am now wondering, since the trust barrier has been broken, where can we go from here. Personally I would prefer to cancel my account, because again I feel I am not getting what I have paid for and as if I am not getting value for money.

I hope to hear from you soon and look forward to a speedy resolution to this issue,

Jeff"

• Advertisement

That's the exact same email I get sent too, it addresses none of my concerns.

Biggins wrote: »
    Yes.
    They have a bloody cheek. The least you should get, is the service you exactly paid for.

That is what he will get. 20 Rapids/day for the remaining days on the premium account. The 5GB/50GB storage package (RapidMedium) costs 20 Rapids/day. It's the exact same.

The only difference now is when renewal time comes it'll cost more than €55.

The site is back up, anyone know where the cancel your account part is?

To cancel your account you need to email them - support@rapidshare.com or webmaster@rapidshare.com which is the contact for the paypal receipt.

Outline that you want a pro-rate refund based on the days left (and TrafficShare left if you purchased some of that).

I think cancelling your account is a bit much at the minute though, the changeover isn't screwing existing premium account holders, it's the same thing.

To cancel your account you need to email them - support@rapidshare.com or webmaster@rapidshare.com which is the contact for the paypal receipt.

Outline that you want a pro-rate refund based on the days left (and TrafficShare left if you purchased some of that).

I think cancelling your account is a bit much at the minute though, the changeover isn't screwing existing premium account holders, it's the same thing.

The reason i want to cancel is because from what I can grasp is there is no incentive for people to upload to rs and in turn everyone will move away from using them.

I'm waiting for the RS links to start disappearing, I'm not into speculation - especially when the new reward system isn't announced nor are the other details to this change (that announcement is due today some time)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

They will loose everyone with this system.

Uploaders are totally screwed by the storage limitations. The majority of uploaders who used Rapidshare in the past to get rewards would have way in excess of 50gb uploaded to RS. Which means they'll get bumped to 78 rapids (rapidbig) a day assuming they have uploaded less than 200gb on the system. Rapidbig costs 270 odd euro a year!

I saw this posted on a board....continuing to have this account with in excess of 1200gb storage would cost 1550 euro. Yikes...

57961231.png

So are most people going to cancel or feel cancelling is the best option?

So are most people going to cancel or feel cancelling is the best option?
    Going to use it until my account expires.
    If they cut me off in the meantime for using up my daily/weekly limit etc, I'm just switch in the meantime to downloading/uploading with a different service during the same period.

Stuff them. Their loss in the long run - and by god, according to all user complaints so far, they are going to lose BIG time.

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Going to use it until my account expires.
    If they cut me off in the meantime for using up my daily/weekly limit etc, I'm just switch in the meantime to downloading/uploading with a different service during the same period.

Stuff them. Their loss in the long run - and by god, according to all user complaints so far, they are going to lose BIG time.

Im 25 days into a year account and im VERY strongly thinking of getting out, as a poster said this is the time to do it and youll get all but the time since you bought it back.

Ive already asked a bit about hotfile in the new downloader site thread. Seems everyone is using hf.

Advertisement