Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheating in the Leaving Cert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Cheating doesn't have many implications for english, history, etc, but science? It takes ages to learn off definitions etc when someone could easily have it in their sock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dublin4Life

An email to the Irish independent with your information might make you some handy cash

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

To be honest if anyone I knew snitched on people who were cheating, I would never be able to be friends with them again.

Judging from peoples reaction, it's clear most people are totally against cheaters and are deeming it completely unfair - which it is. However, if you snitch on these people you are potentially ruining their lives, they won't be able to repeat these exams for 7 years which means some of them could be 25/26 before doing anything progressive with their lives.

Now I know some of you may be saying "yes but if they cheat us out of a place in college they're also ruining our lives", wrong. I'm presuming the people who are complaining about the cheating are people who have worked hard over the years and aiming for a college course with reasonably high points - if you dont get into it your life will not be ruined, you'll still get into a good course and if you're determined enough you will still live the same succesful life that you're chasing.

And as many people have said, the people who do cheat are more than likely just aiming to pass, so most of you will probably not be effected whatsoever by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'm no snitch, but Samskeyti is cheating:P

Meh, wouldn't rat them out. Wouldn't even mention it, but thats just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've noticed that actually, if I wanted to cheat it would be easy, the supers are so lax. For instance, every single person I saw had their calculator covers with them with instructions label intact. This is illegal in the rules but they didn't give a rats ass. Also, two days in a row a girl beside me is still writing five minutes after they call stop, he has to wait for both days and yet doesnt even reprimand her?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

To be honest if anyone I knew snitched on people who were cheating, I would never be able to be friends with them again.

Judging from peoples reaction, it's clear most people are totally against cheaters and are deeming it completely unfair - which it is. However, if you snitch on these people you are potentially ruining their lives, they won't be able to repeat these exams for 7 years which means some of them could be 25/26 before doing anything progressive with their lives.

If they go into state exams cheating, knowing it's against all the rules and get caught, that's their own fault. There's no other way about it. There's a reason that the penalty for cheating in state exams is what it is. They decided to cheat, So it's not the person who tells on them ruining their lives, it's them ruining their own lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

If they go into state exams cheating, knowing it's against all the rules and get caught, that's their own fault. There's no other way about it. There's a reason that the penalty for cheating in state exams is what it is. They decided to cheat, So it's not the person who tells on them ruining their lives, it's them ruining their own lives.

COULD NOT AGREE MORE! If they are cheating, surely they should face the consequences if they are caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭luv-eirexx

A lot of people on this thread are saying that the cheaters are probably just aiming to pass the lc and just let them at it because they won't be taking your college course but how do you know??
    The cheaters in the lc could be very good students, capable of getting a B and they are just cheating so that they will get an even higher grade than that to maximise their points.
    I'm doing the lc now and if I ever found out that anyone in my year was cheating like that I'd be very angry, it's just not fair. People saying that you should just leave them aren't the ones who will have to hear them telling you how they are soo happy with their 400 (dishonest) points on august 18th!!

I wouldn't tell the supervisor at first because they could get into a lot of trouble but tell one of your teachers/principal before an exam and get them to have a "word" with the cheaters. If they continue to cheat then maybe then tell your supervisor!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dublin4Life

Salman Hamid......hahahah!!!!!!............that was two years ago on bebo, you would probably find him on face book now too;)

• Advertisement

If they get caught then yes it's completely their own decision to take that risk, but I'm saying if someone rats on them.

I'm sure most of you know people who have taken drugs, this is also against all the rules and the penalty for being in possession of drugs is what it is (I'm not sure exactly what mind you), would youse feel the temptation to tell the gardaí that their taking drugs just because its wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If they get caught then yes it's completely their own decision to take that risk, but I'm saying if someone rats on them.

I'm sure most of you know people who have taken drugs, this is also against all the rules and the penalty for being in possession of drugs is what it is (I'm not sure exactly what mind you), would youse feel the temptation to tell the gardaí that their taking drugs just because its wrong?

You make doing the right thing sound so bad. Shame, really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

'I aint taking it ya cheater'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭luv-eirexx

I get what your saying but for a lot of people the leaving cert is the biggest exam of their life and I know that I've been told for the past year that I'm in competition with everyone else in the country. So you wouldn't be telling on them just because it's wrong . .

I'd do it because why should they so unfairly have such an advantage over everyone else?? I put in the work and effort and I would just be so put out by someone getting good (or better ;)) grades than me by cheating.

It's not really the morally right reasons for snitching but it's the truth ...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Them taking drugs would not in any way affect me, or take away from the fact I did not. Where as cheating could affect my college place and take away from my hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 swabby

I honestly cannot believe there are so many people here, who think it would be a great idea to rat out someone for cheating in the lc. Seriously, these people will in no way affect your grade. there is simply no way that any student who is aiming for medium to high marks is going to cheat.
    We all know the type of people who are going to cheat, are the students who have done nothing all year and most of them are panicking now because they want a simple pass in the leaving cert, for employment or fas course, not for college.
    I think its time for everyone to climb down off there high horses! I know the leaving cert seems like the most important thing in the world to all of ye now, trust me, its not and soon you will be longing for the days when it was, no point ruining someone elses life because they hid a few cheat notes in their socks to help dem pass!
    Remember, these people are probably not as smart as you or havent put the same amount of work in as you, for various reasons.
    Stop whinging, get on with your own work and you will be fine!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

swabby wrote: »
    I honestly cannot believe there are so many people here, who think it would be a great idea to rat out someone for cheating in the lc. Seriously, these people will in no way affect your grade. there is simply no way that any student who is aiming for medium to high marks is going to cheat.
    We all know the type of people who are going to cheat, are the students who have done nothing all year and most of them are panicking now because they want a simple pass in the leaving cert, for employment or fas course, not for college.
    I think its time for everyone to climb down off there high horses! I know the leaving cert seems like the most important thing in the world to all of ye now, trust me, its not and soon you will be longing for the days when it was, no point ruining someone elses life because they hid a few cheat notes in their socks to help dem pass!
    Remember, these people are probably not as smart as you or havent put the same amount of work in as you, for various reasons.
    Stop whinging, get on with your own work and you will be fine!:P

Have you actually read the whole thread? Did you see any of the posts explaining the bell curve?

In my opinion I would actually say its the opposite way around, I know plenty of people who just couldn't be bothered what there results are, they just plan to be a bum for a few years or just do a fas course, these people couldn't be bothered cheating because they do not really care too much for their results.
    From my experience anyways I know a girl who cheated for nearly every exam during school including the mocks, teachers think she is an absolute brainbox, she is quite smart and does a lot of work and im sure could do well without cheating. She isin't cheating for the LC, but im sure there are plenty of people just like her that need 550+ points for veterinary, medicine or dentistry, and would take the risk in hope of going from an A2 to a A1.

Just to add my 2 cents, I would report them but be extra careful to remain anon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ah yes, Mr. Cartman, a hero for the modern age ... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Don't be a dirty ****ing rat!!!why would you willing go about to ruin someones whole life??are you really that sad? does it bother you that much?.Ya people cheat,people in my centre cheat but why care unless they're actually interferring with your exam.It's there lives their risking.If you do snitch tho I can quarantee you karma will follow you for the rest of your life and you will NEVER get laid!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irondragons

gant0 wrote: »
    you will NEVER get laid!!!:eek:

Hard facts, right here, guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

gant0 wrote: »
    Don't be a dirty ****ing rat!!!why would you willing go about to ruin someones whole life??are you really that sad? does it bother you that much?.Ya people cheat,people in my centre cheat but why care unless they're actually interferring with your exam.It's there lives their risking.If you do snitch tho I can quarantee you karma will follow you for the rest of your life and you will NEVER get laid!!!:eek:

I suspect we may have found a cheater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

slasher_65 wrote: »
    I suspect we may have found a cheater.

I'm starting to think that those defending the cheaters are the ones actually cheating. Really hope they all get found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 shi7zman

We had someone cawt for cheatin in our school last yr. all that happened was the exam he did it in got cancelled. the rest didnt get touched. you dont get a ban or anything. he got cawt as a parent of another student rang the commission and the supervisor was told by them.
    next exam he was checked and notes were found in his pencil case. he could still sit the rest of his exams.
    if you are going to report it there are ways of doing it anon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ Peyton Huge Pointer

I'm sure rules and the penalty for being in possession of drugs is what it is (I'm not sure exactly what mind you), would youse feel the temptation to tell the gardaí that their taking drugs just because its wrong?e most of you know people who have taken drugs, this is also against all th
    Same thing, they know there's the possibility of getting caught / someone alerting the examiner. Too bad for them if they get caught, I hope they all get kicked out of the exams. We have all worked hard and spent time slaving over books and notes, to try and do well in the exams. Why should they be able to do nothing all year and then come out with the same/better grades? That's a load of b*llocks.
    I can't believe some of the people on this calling it snitching and crap. The facts are, some people are cheating for high points they wouldn't get otherwise, they will affect your results, and they will take a college place, if not yours then someone like you in another part of the country has missed out on their course because of a dirty cheating scumbag.

People taking drugs won't affect you in any way. That's not an accurate analogy. If there was someone assaulting you in the street, would you report it to the gardai? Oh wait, I forgot, that's 'snitching' isn't it? :rolleyes:

LadyGaga! wrote: »
    I'm starting to think that those defending the cheaters are the ones actually cheating. Really hope they all get found out.

For one I do not particularly like being called a cheater. I wouldn't cheat in these exams, partially for the fear of getting caught, but also because if I was so determined to do well in my exams I would have worked a bit harder over the past 2 years. Cheating is wrong and personally I wouldn't do it, but I also believe getting someones exams cancelled is wrong, and I wouldn't do that either.
    Same thing, they know there's the possibility of getting caught / someone alerting the examiner. Too bad for them if they get caught, I hope they all get kicked out of the exams. We have all worked hard and spent time slaving over books and notes, to try and do well in the exams. Why should they be able to do nothing all year and then come out with the same/better grades? That's a load of b*llocks.
    I can't believe some of the people on this calling it snitching and crap. The facts are, some people are cheating for high points they wouldn't get otherwise, they will affect your results, and they will take a college place, if not yours then someone like you in another part of the country has missed out on their course because of a dirty cheating scumbag.

People taking drugs won't affect you in any way. That's not an accurate analogy. If there was someone assaulting you in the street, would you report it to the gardai? Oh wait, I forgot, that's 'snitching' isn't it? :rolleyes:

Okay sorry, just couldn't think of a better word than snitching, if you have any suggestions I'll edit my posts. I just do not see it worth ruining another persons life for this, the fact that everyone wants to do it anonomously is perhaps suggesting that you know it's wrong and don't want to be caught for doing it (but I am probably jumping to conclusions).

Also, big difference in cheating and assaulting someone on the street. It's more like if you saw a dodgey looking character on the street, would you ring the gardai? As they could potentially harm you or others.

And btw, I'm not trying to cause uproar or get this thread closed or anything, so if we can keep this as a discussion it would be nice (which most of you are).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Don't worry too mch about the test results, just wait a few years. At the current rate of simplification the exams will be dumbed down so much that you'll be certain to get 500 points just for keeping the crayon inside the lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ Peyton Huge Pointer

Okay sorry, just couldn't think of a better word than snitching, if you have any suggestions I'll edit my posts. I just do not see it worth ruining another persons life for this, the fact that everyone wants to do it anonomously is perhaps suggesting that you know it's wrong and don't want to be caught for doing it (but I am probably jumping to conclusions).

Perhaps just call it informing the authorities? :rolleyes:
    The thing is, they're the ones getting their exams cancelled and ruining their lives, not you. They know the rules and are prepared to take the risk. It doesn't matter how they're caught. People want to do it anonymously for fear of a retaliation from the person caught cheating / their peers. People in Ireland seem to have this thing about keeping their mouths shut in situations like this, say nothing and pretend it never happened, and that's something that needs to change IMO.
    Also, big difference in cheating and assaulting someone on the street. It's more like if you saw a dodgey looking character on the street, would you ring the gardai? As they could potentially harm you or others.

Not really a big difference. Much less than your comparison anyway. A cheater in the LC is hurting your chances of getting your college course. A person assaulting you is physically hurting you. In either case it should be reported to the authorities. A cheater is not going to "potentially harm you" as you so lightly put it, they will harm you.

• Advertisement

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you still get the college course you want, are they still harming you? And how?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement