Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating in the Leaving Cert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I sat the Leaving Cert last year, the main issue in the school I was in was trying to calm the sudden influx of nerves/tears as oppossed to all-out cheating. While I understand that from what the OP said it's very apparent that in their school there's a lot of cheating, I just want to let other LC students reading this know that there's always an ejit or two who claims to have cheated by running into the bathrooms and take a look at their notes - chances are they're just trying to sound "deadly", take no notice as they're probably lying.

Otherwise, cheating in the Leaving Certificate is a very serious thing, it affects everyone else in the country who's sitting the exams. Even if I had wanted to I couldn't have cheated in my LC - where's the sense of achievement and accomplishment in doing that? And, chances are, you'll get accepted onto a course that's way out of your depth and you'll regret it. The strict points system is there for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Cheating shouldn't be condoned..
    I'm not condoning cheating.I'm condoning reporting someone for a bogus reason.Come on the percent of cheaters has to be very low with most of those barely aiding their grade.Think of it this way,most cheaters are people who really wouldn't be aiming very high in the Leaving and just wanna pass so if you're going for high points you really shouldn't worry.I couldn't think of anyone who would possibly work hard all year and then risk throwing that all away for what an extra 5 points.Bottom line 99% of cheaters will NOT effect your chance of getting your course in college.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

gant0 wrote: »
    I couldn't think of anyone who would possibly work hard all year and then risk throwing that all away for what an extra 5 points.
    What about the bright people who sat on their laurels all year because it was "easy" for them, and suddenly realised that the time was upon them and they hadn't the work done?

Or the people that seem to think it's cooler to use their intelligence to think up ways to cheat than to do the actual work?

And I would be really interested in an answer to the question I posed to you above. :)

What about the bright people who sat on their laurels all year because it was "easy" for them, and suddenly realised that the time was upon them and they hadn't the work done?

Or the people that seem to think it's cooler to use their intelligence to think up ways to cheat than to do the actual work?

And I would be really interested in an answer to the question I posed to you above. :)
    Ah but you fail to see that I said "anyone that's worked hard all year".....people who are smart but have sat on their laurals don't fall into that catagory and as for people that use their "intelligence" to come up with ways to cheat ,well I couldn't think of many of those.Most people cheat by just having notes in their pockets etc....most of those fancy cheating stories are just urban myths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 watevertrevor

Hah ya ok I cheated because I think it's wrong to purposfully RUIN someones life.And no I didn't cheat I think it's just retarded.Would never risk it for what a few extra marks???it's too much of a risk but I just think you have to be a sad individual to report someone if they didn't personally interfere with your exam.However if they kept bothering you and distracting you then ya fine.I'd have no problem reporting someone if they may lead to me not getting my course.

These people could WELL interfere with you getting your course? Do you not understand the bell curve idea... This is the whole point of this thread. The people who cheat could be ruining the lives of the honest people who don't by taking their place in college. If even one single person fails to get into college because of a cheater then its appalling. ALL cheaters should be punished.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

double GG wrote: »
    In the leaving cert?? :O
    Yeah,he did quite well and ended up in trinity which really got my goat.
    He used to sit there with his head resting on his hand,listening to recordings of his essays and write them word for word.If I remember he even had different tapes for different questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

If I'd cheated in the LC, I wouldn't have been able to take the guilt or enjoy my results or take any pride in them after doing that. It would have felt false - even if it was only one formula that I looked at in the bathrooms - so how do some of these people do this and think it's OK?

Ah but you fail to see that I said "anyone that's worked hard all year".....people who are smart but have sat on their laurals don't fall into that catagory and as for people that use their "intelligence" to come up with ways to cheat ,well I couldn't think of many of those.Most people cheat by just having notes in their pockets etc....most of those fancy cheating stories are just urban myths.
    I didn't fail to see it at all, I postulated that there were other groups apart from the one you mentioned.

And see the post two below yours.

Oh, and I guess you're intent on ignoring the question I asked you, so i won't bother asking again. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

Ammonite wrote: »
    If I'd cheated in the LC, I wouldn't have been able to take the guilt or enjoy my results or take any pride in them after doing that. It would have felt false - even if it was only one formula that I looked at in the bathrooms - so how do some of these people do this and think it's OK?
    Probably because it is.
    It's a test,the only thing that matters is the result unfortunately.

I didn't fail to see it at all, I postulated that there were other groups apart from the one you mentioned.

And see the post two below yours.

Oh, and I guess you're intent on ignoring the question I asked you, so i won't bother asking again. :)
    What question??I answered the one about people who were smart but cheated because theu're lazy and the one about intelligent cheaters.Is there anyother question that I fail to see in your post??

• Advertisement

What question??I answered the one about people who were smart but cheated because theu're lazy and the one about intelligent cheaters.Is there anyother question that I fail to see in your post??
    Post 178, lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

If you cheat in the Leaving Cert., and succeed in getting into college, and continue to cheat and lie etc., you are eventually going to get caught or get caught out, somewhere along the line. People that cheat in exams are either desperate, who I kinda have sympathy for, or they are the cheating/no manners/no respect/user type of people. And I don't have time for them and neither should anyone else or the country for that... College has no use for them either. But thats the way society is going. Just look at TV. The cheat, the liar and the idiots get everything.

So OP report the FU/CK outta these people, their scum and thats all.

Summer/Winter exams ok, but LC? No way...
    Report them, but just cover yourself, and don't be specific.

And I hope yopu do well in your LC, you sound like you worked for it :)

Post 178, lad.
    Ah right that one.Well technically I'd hate them but there is absolutly no way to know if the reason you didn't get in was because of them cheating.You'd never find out so you wouldn't know about the truth so you'd just think you didn't get in because you didn't get enough points.Basically I'm saying if a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it,it never fell,I ya get what I mean.I'd never know that I ddn't get in because of cheaters so I wouldn't be angry at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I personally wouldn't cheat but this thread has got me thinking of 2 such methods from which a student could, which makes you think, Probably thought of before though...

First is to write all the answers on your body then go to the toiled once to look over everything.

Second is sneakier, You get couple of rubbers, Write small answers or on each side so thats like 6 sides on a couple of rubbers...when your down with the answer rub them out so evidence is gone.

As I said, I wouldn't but this thread got me thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Cyzrane

Cheating should absolutely be reported and expunged under any circumstances; I can't think of one situation that justifies it. People might denounce the Leaving Cert, citing its often cruel and unforgiving nature, but that argument becomes immediately fallacious and circular in this case since its proponents are the very ones unbalancing it.

Yes, the Leaving Cert is not a 100% fair test of your "ability" per se. But the only way it can be in any way fair as a benchmark is if all of its applicants are subjected to its rules equally.

The punishment for being caught cheating in the exams may be excessive and therefore the authority might be loath to actually follow up alleged cheating; still, it becomes impotent if present in name only. Therefore, it must be enacted in some shape or form. If this requires making an example of the few to force respect on the many, then so be it. That may all seem dogmatic, but I'm not cheating in these exams, my conscience is clear and therefore I can support the rules absolutely, and most people are in the same boat as me.

As a measure of work, the Leaving Cert functions. The only ones who "need" to cheat (if such a thing can even be a necessity) are the ones who didn't work.

^^^last one is quite genius really.Our examn=iner on the first day was as you'd expect telling us about cheating etc.He told us of a genius story of how 12 guys cheated together in one exam.One guy got a tennis ball and slit it open an hid stuff in it.When he was done with it he rolled it to the next guy and etc etc.Ofcourse they were caught but I thought it was a great way for the examiner to break the ice:D

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

Crow92 wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't cheat but this thread has got me thinking of 2 such methods from which a student could, which makes you think, Probably thought of before though...

First is to write all the answers on your body then go to the toiled once to look over everything.

Second is sneakier, You get couple of rubbers, Write small answers or on each side so thats like 6 sides on a couple of rubbers...when your down with the answer rub them out so evidence is gone.

As I said, I wouldn't but this thread got me thinking.

*takes down jocks*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ Peyton Huge Pointer

I've had a few good ideas too.

One of the best ones I thought of, I had written out here, but I thought I'll wait till the exams are over because it's one that would be easily pulled off and I'm not happy with people doing it :p.

Another one I had wouldn't apply to any on here I'd say. <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Ha, love the melodramatics in this thread. Relax guys the leaving cert means diddley squat in the real world.
    As for the guys cheating, i say fair play if they get away with it and get what they want out of it. It shows that a person is resourceful and willing to take whatever steps are necessary to get the job done. Would be an asset to any employer.
    Best of luck with the rest of the exams kids.

Basically I'm saying if a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it,it never fell,I ya get what I mean.
    Except when you walk into the forest the next day, lo and behold, the tree is on the ground!
    Mr Cawley wrote: »
    *takes down jocks*
    0_o

Duuuudddde!

Ladies present!!
    It shows that a person is resourceful and willing to take whatever steps are necessary to get the job done. Would be an asset to any employer, get him into the commercial courts before you know it!
    FYP! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Just write answers on your eyelids and close your eyes pretending to think...quite simple really. :-|

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

Except when you walk into the forest the next day, lo and behold, the tree is on the ground!

0_o

Duuuudddde!

Ladies present!!

edit: takes down jocks to transcribe notes onto himself

Mr Cawley wrote: »
    edit: takes down jocks to transcribe notes onto himself
    Ladies STILL present!!

And I hope tf you don't feel the need for more space! >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Ladies STILL present!!

And I hope tf you don't feel the need for more space! >.<

* takes down jocks*

... We are getting frisky right...?

fufureida wrote: »
    * takes down jocks*

... We are getting frisky right...?
    Well, if you're wearing jocks, woman, frisky doesn't begin to describe it!! :P

Ya that might work for something physical like a tree but you can't find out if someone cheated.That's like me guessing what colour tshirt you're wearing,if any;)....my guess is as good as anyones but there is no way to know until you tell us.No way to know if someone cheated you out of a place unless they tell you and quite frankly if they we're smart enough(stupid enough) to cheat and get away with it they're gonna go around telling people,unless ofcourse your name is salaman:Dhaha

I think you're missing the point ... regardless of whether anyone heard it fall or not, the tree is still on the ground; regardless of whether they were caught or not, the cheaters have still cheated and they have still gotten an unfair advantage by doing so.

Why is "it's ok once you don't get caught!" so much part of the Irish mentality?!

I'm beginning to think that we deserve our Charlie Haugheys and his ilk!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

As for the guys cheating, i say fair play if they get away with it and get what they want out of it. It shows that a person is resourceful and willing to take whatever steps are necessary to get the job done. Would be an asset to any employer.

Because that's why so many of them get hired when they get caught, and banned from state exams. Employers just love finding out they have no LC because they were caught cheating sure. It's just a way of telling everyone how resourceful and whatnot they are :rolleyes:

Because that's why so many of them get hired when they get caught, and banned from state exams. Employers just love finding out they have no LC because they were caught cheating sure. It's just a way of telling everyone how resourceful and whatnot they are :rolleyes:
    In fairness, he did say "if they get away with it".

I may not agree with him, but his post did make more sense than you're allowing him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Ha, love the melodramatics in this thread. Relax guys the leaving cert means diddley squat in the real world.
    Best of luck with the rest of the exams kids.

Wow, if a 'thumbs down' icon existed, I'd press it for your post....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement