Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating in the Leaving Cert

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

kylerr wrote: »
    the peeps who need to cheat are prob just lookin for a pass... therefore not gona be much of a threat to your college place

You obviously haven't heard of Salman85 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irondragons

10 minutes is more than enough when you know exactly what answers you need.

derp.

Well, I'm guessing you have experience in this field, so I'll take your word for it, champ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

It's not right that people are cheating in your centre, or any other centre.
    These people are just cheating college places off you, but the odd 60,000 others of us sitting exams this year.

Why should these people be allowed to cheat, when the rest of us have had to work really hard for the last few months...

Also, think about it for one second.. If it comes out about these people cheating, and that you knew and said nothing how's that going to look for you?
    Maybe they'll think you were too if you don't say anything.

Someone in your centre needs to stand up for the rest of us honest people and tell the true.

Good Luck with the rest of you exams btw, and don't stress about this cheating going on around, you've done nothing wrong and there's no reason to not tell the true, besides the Debs you mightened see half of those people again after the LC

:)

derp.

Well, I'm guessing you have experience in this field, so I'll take your word for it, champ.

I'm not proud of it, but I like many others have cheated in xmas and summer tests.
    However I take pride in the fact that I didn't even consider it for the JC or LC, and frankly I am disgusted at the people trying to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

It is also important to note that due to the harsh penalty for cheating, many supervisors are unwilling to report or note the incident.*
    Finally - there is a limit to the amount of advantage you can gain by cheating. So, you might have the textbook in the bathroom. In reality - you can only spend a couple of minutes in the bathroom away from authority. You might pick up one definition or one formula. That won't carry a C3 student to an A1.*Try to be rational and gain a measure of perspective.

Someone I know for a fact is cheating. He went to the bathroom 4 times in one exam. And goes quite often in the rest. That could mean a difference of 20+ points. It could mean a B1 instead of a B3. He carries notes in the hood of his hoodie; I know this for a fact. Rational measure? Pffft ...*

I can't believe people are saying not to care. What is it with people not speaking out against wrongs? This decision of not telling could effect everyone in the end. And it's simple not fair! It's the leaving cert not shorty mock exams where no one cares. This can actually make a difference!

The reason I said he should tape it is because HOW will he prove it if he does tell?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 watevertrevor

Admittedly my use of the word snitch was a bit harsh and I apologize for it. However, I still feel you shouldn't expose the cheating by your fellow peers. It is not your responsibilty that they are cheating. I wouldn't be able to expose my friends and fellow peers if I was aware that they were cheating. I feel that the risk they take by cheating is wreckless and that somewhere down the line the cheater's faults will be exposed.

yeah... if the OP does the responsible thing and expose them!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

This makes me really angry and upset to hear... some of us (myself included) have been working really hard all year, to hear this makes me depressed that some people can do as well without the same effort... Please please report it, although it's probable that it goes on in a lot of places around the country :(

I'm not proud of it, but I like many others have cheated in xmas and summer tests.
    However I take pride in the fact that I didn't even consider it for the JC or LC, and frankly I am disgusted at the people trying to justify it.

Eh. Let's leave it there then.

Cheating is undeniably immoral, and I'm not trying to justify cheating at all. I'm just trying to help the OP cut the cheater some slack. The cheaters are obviously not very intelligent and they're clearly not aiming very high.

Although, we can agree that Ireland would be a much better place full of cheaters with a sub-par Leaving Cert, than an Ireland full of cheaters with absolutely no qualifications. Unless you consider moral obligation worth more than a steady economy.

Eh. Let's leave it there then.

Cheating is undeniably immoral, and I'm not trying to justify cheating at all. I'm just trying to help the OP cut the cheater some slack. The cheaters are obviously not very intelligent and they're clearly not aiming very high.

I mean, we can agree that Ireland would be a much better place filled with a bunch of cheaters with a mediocre Leaving Cert, than an Ireland filled with a bunch of cheaters with absolutely no qualifications. Unless, you know, you consider moral obligation worth more than a steady economy.

um hello? Did you hear of the guy who cheated, told everyone about it, and got 500 plus points?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

imo, it's the old adage, "it's the principle of the matter".

I never bothered cheating on tests, because although it may have been handy for summer/xmas results to bring home nice results to the parentals, it was only myself I was cheating. I knew my possibilities if I studied, and my limits if I didn't, and I opted to limit myself by not studying-c'est la vie.

It showed when I did my LC, and only studied (ie re-read my books & notes the week before) for the exams I wanted, and therefore failed several subjects. I knew I was screwed in at least 2 of them, and could've tried to wrangle some magic way of cheating, but why would I bother? That was my choice then.

The LC is a rite of passage growing up, for some it leads to college, for others it leads to their life. It's not the be all & end all it's made out to be, and you will go through far harder "tests" in your life.

Cheating is a part of life. Seeing as it's World Cup time, let's reference Henri**. He had a choice to accept the cheating, or call on it, not once, but twice in a matter of moments. He chose not to call it until long after it mattered. These cheaters may look back in 10+ years time as I'm doing, and wonder about the choices they made a decade ago. They may not. But if they're called on it, it's a lifelong lesson. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't.

These kind of choices are in front of everyone at some point in their life. The cheaters have chosen to cheat, it's up to others whether they want to accept that cheating, and let it slide or not, and Samskeyti doesn't want to let it slide. Kudos to her for that choice.

**can so see this becoming the Irish Godwin's Law....:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Samskeyti

fufureida wrote: »
    Someone I know for a fact is cheating. He went to the bathroom 4 times in one exam. And goes quite often in the rest. That could mean a difference of 20+ points. It could mean a B1 instead of a B3. He carries notes in the hood of his hoodie; I know this for a fact. Rational measure? Pffft ...*

I can't believe people are saying not to care. What is it with people not speaking out against wrongs? This decision of not telling could effect everyone in the end. And it's simple not fair! It's the leaving cert not shorty mock exams where no one cares. This can actually make a difference!

The reason I said he should tape it is because HOW will he prove it if he does tell?

I noticed that there's people ADMITTING to cheating in the Leaving Cert on their facebook, maybe some of the people you are on about might be doing the same. Screenshots could work here

itac wrote: »
    imo, it's the old adage, "it's the principle of the matter".

I never bothered cheating on tests, because although it may have been handy for summer/xmas results to bring home nice results to the parentals, it was only myself I was cheating. I knew my possibilities if I studied, and my limits if I didn't, and I opted to limit myself by not studying-c'est la vie.

It showed when I did my LC, and only studied (ie re-read my books & notes the week before) for the exams I wanted, and therefore failed several subjects. I knew I was screwed in at least 2 of them, and could've tried to wrangle some magic way of cheating, but why would I bother? That was my choice then.

The LC is a rite of passage growing up, for some it leads to college, for others it leads to their life. It's not the be all & end all it's made out to be, and you will go through far harder "tests" in your life.

Cheating is a part of life. Seeing as it's World Cup time, let's reference Henri**. He had a choice to accept the cheating, or call on it, not once, but twice in a matter of moments. He chose not to call it until long after it mattered. These cheaters may look back in 10+ years time as I'm doing, and wonder about the choices they made a decade ago. They may not. But if they're called on it, it's a lifelong lesson. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't.

These kind of choices are in front of everyone at some point in their life. The cheaters have chosen to cheat, it's up to others whether they want to accept that cheating, and let it slide or not, and Samskeyti doesn't want to let it slide. Kudos to him for that choice.

**can so see this becoming the Irish Godwin's Law....:D

Thank you, and it's a she btw :p lol

Although, we can agree that Ireland would be a much better place full of cheaters with a sub-par Leaving Cert, than an Ireland full of cheaters with absolutely no qualifications. Unless you consider moral obligation worth more than a steady economy.

Eh, no. If people succeed in cheating their Leaving Cert what's to stop them committing acts of fraud etc. in the workplace? Our government, banks etc. are already full of cheaters, and look how that turned out. Hardly a steady economy is it? Covering up cheating is not the answer, they need to be exposed immediately IMO.

Also, I wouldn't advise recording conversations to the OP. Firstly, if they were ever shown the evidence they'd immediately know it was you. Secondly they could just say they were acting cool / trying to wind you up or whatever. The only way to get them is to catch them red handed.

Eh, no. If people succeed in cheating their Leaving Cert what's to stop them committing acts of fraud etc. in the workplace? Our government, banks etc. are already full of cheaters, and look how that turned out. Hardly a steady economy is it? Covering up cheating is not the answer, they need to be exposed immediately IMO.

Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Jack Leahy

Samskeyti wrote: »
    They're not 'peers' or 'friends' of mine. I don't see why I should protect them, I owe them nothing. They could be exposed but I believe it'll be too late, maybe when they take the places of people who actually worked. So I'm going to put a stop to this before they wreck our futures by taking our places in college.

"all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that a few good men do nothing"

As it is, I'm trying to contact the SEC about this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Thank you, and it's a she btw :p lol
    ooops!:o Was still working on the assumption that you were the facebook page I saw, sorry! Had that problem myself a few times, doh to non-gender specific usernames:D

Jack Leahy wrote: »
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that a few good men do nothing"

As it is, I'm trying to contact the SEC about this post.

Already emailed them with the link to it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

the SEC have procedures and they will Not compromise themselves.

they would not admit they're not in contol!

join the cheaters or else focus on yourself.

if you get every definition correct Nobody can take an A away from you.

only you can get the required points,

2% of cheaters will not increase the points entry for a course significantly,

good luck everyone

Just contacted the SEC and gave them a link to this thread. :D This kind of behaviour cannot go unchecked.

Just contacted the SEC and gave them a link to this thread. :D This kind of behaviour cannot go unchecked.

Thanks for helping to stop this cheating :D

• Advertisement

I just had an epiphany, guys.

Playing the devil's advocate has just wasted me 3 hours of precious studying time.

God dammit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭FyeaG

...I see my class mates goin to toilet, and u kno for what, like 3 times in the exam, and the examiners just laughs, thinkin they need just for a piss, also some got notes und whiler the jumpers or in socks, examiner turns away, they put the notes on tabble between the papers, and here u go, at the end they just put it in the pocket while she again not lookin, also some use phones in the back, but thats risky, some got new tattoos on hands, if u kno what i mean :D while me, i wont cheat, i rather fail bein fare than act tough while u dumb...

FyeaG wrote: »
    ...I see my class mates goin to toilet, and u kno for what, like 3 times in the exam, and the examiners just laughs, thinkin they need just for a piss, also some got notes und whiler the jumpers or in socks, examiner turns away, they put the notes on tabble between the papers, and here u go, at the end they just put it in the pocket while she again not lookin, also some use phones in the back, but thats risky, some got new tattoos on hands, if u kno what i mean :D while me, i wont cheat, i rather fail bein fare than act tough while u dumb...

Same thing is happening in my school...

I just had an epiphany, guys.

Playing the devil's advocate has just wasted me 3 hours of precious studying time.

God dammit.

You're right. Nothing more can be said or done now. Although i urge everyone who wants to put a stop to this cheating to contact the SEC themselves as a sort of petition if you like. The more voices there are, the more action will be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Mr Cawley wrote: »
    2% of cheaters will not increase the points entry for a course significantly,
    If those who cheat take so much as one place off an honest student, then IMO its a disgrace and the SEC have failed.

The people who cheat are cheating us all due to the bell curve and the distribution of college places.

Hopefully, the SEC will put additional measures in at your school and any other which cheating could be taking place..
    No one will know who done it and cheating will be prevented:)
    Its not about concentrating on yourself as others have said, these are national exams, these guys are ****ing us all over:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭FyeaG

Same thing is happening in my school...

But u waist alot of time by doin so, and u can get caught + u can wont find what u need or lookin for to answer, so i just play this fair and square :D

Please refrain from using txtspit, thanks! - Mod.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'm logged in on this account but this isn't my account, so I doubt you know what school I'm talking about but to be honest I have no problem with saying what school it is because it's a lousy one that only cares about its reputation, not the students who go there.

- Don't mention details on the internet.

- Do remember that the account you are using may be known to others, and that person may get some of the backlash.
    Jack Leahy wrote: »
    Longfellow, good to see someone knows a few poets not on LC course.
    Already emailed them with the link to it ;)
    That's not going to do much good, they need specifics.

The section which deals with exam centres is at this email: user.super@examinations.ie

Email them the relevant details re: school etc., you don't necessarily need to name names if you don't want to, they will hopefully ensure that the supers get a kick up the arse and wake up.

If you wish, you can do so anonymously, it takes 2 minutes to set up a new email on yahoo or whatever.

Then put it out of your head and concentrate on your own work.

And those of you who are saying "sure, what harm, no-one gets hurt?" ... *

When these people cheat in the LC, and get away with it, what lesson do they learn?

That it's ok to cheat in life, and to hell with who gets hurt.

So they go ahead to cheat in business, in politics, in life, and to hell with who gets hurt.

It could be you, your family, your friends ...

Is that really the kind of world you are happy to grow up in, silently, without lifting one finger in defense of honesty, of integrity, of honour?

* They do actually, btw ... even 5 extra points gained by cheating could easily knock someone out of a college place. And it is not just those afraid of failing who attempt to cheat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 xMeganx

Its not so bad to do it for a christmas or summer exam but for the LC! a state exam like! thats really unfair on other people cos the person who cheated would end up getting a place in the collage when they dont even deserve it!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 XXRachelXX

About time to close the thread now I'd say, people are starting to get distracted from studying and arguments are starting to break out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

XXRachelXX wrote: »
    About time to close the thread now I'd say, people are starting to get distracted from studying and arguments are starting to break out
    Then people need to learn to take responsibility for their own actions, whether it's their study or what they do when people around them are cheating ... :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement