Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Cheating in the Leaving Cert

  • #1
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 ✭✭✭ Samskeyti


    There's cheating happening in my school, the majority of students use the fact that the toilets are in our P.E hall and that the superintendents have no reason to follow them in. The students hide notes written from before the exam in their socks and pants and some even got away with having a phone on their lap for an entire paper and reading saved messages from it. Others used the bathroom to call students from other schools and got full answers on questions.

    Our principal is a complete waster as students were caught cheating in the L.C.V.P exam and nothing was done about it. I thought if you were caught cheating that you couldn't sit another state exam? Should I inform the superintendents of how stupid they're being or e-mail the State Examinations Commission? I know for definate that Irish will be the exam that most will cheat on because of learning notes off by heart will prove too much effort for them. Help??:confused:


«13456743

Comments



  • Don't be a snitch. Concentrate on your own performance in the exams.




  • Oh my, that's awful. You should inform the superintendent - remember cheating affects us all, yourself included.

    How does the superintendent not notice if it's on their lap?? Surely they'd see them looking down all the time!?

    You'd think ours have sand in their pants, they never sit down!




  • Samskeyti wrote: »
    There's cheating happening in my school, the majority of students use the fact that the toilets are in our P.E hall and that the superintendents have no reason to follow them in. The students hide notes written from before the exam in their socks and pants and some even got away with having a phone on their lap for an entire paper and reading saved messages from it. Others used the bathroom to call students from other schools and got full answers on questions.

    Our principal is a complete waster as students were caught cheating in the L.C.V.P exam and nothing was done about it. I thought if you were caught cheating that you couldn't sit another state exam? Should I inform the superintendents of how stupid they're being or e-mail the State Examinations Commission? I know for definate that Irish will be the exam that most will cheat on because of learning notes off by heart will prove too much effort for them. Help??:confused:

    I know how your feeling. Sure it's happening in my school and it's not fair. If I were you go talk to these people who you are gonnna cheat and ask them if tge cheated and if they will continue to cheat. Tape the entire conversation. Then inform the super intendant but do so anonymously you don't want people to find out you told... Good luck.




  • At the end of the day it's not going to affect your results so why bother worrying about it? Concentrate on yourself I'd say!




  • fufureida wrote: »
    I know how your feeling. Sure it's happening in my school and it's not fair. If I were you go talk to these people who you are gonnna cheat and ask them if tge cheated and if they will continue to cheat. Tape the entire conversation. Then inform the super intendant but do so anonymously you don't want people to find out you told... Good luck.
    lol, you want him/her to ask people if they have cheated or if they intend to cheat and then bring a taped conversation to the principle?

    What exactly do you think will happen when these same people are punished? 2+2=?

    OP, just tell a superintendent or email whoever will do something about it.


  • Advertisement


  • M&S* wrote: »
    At the end of the day it's not going to affect your results so why bother worrying about it? Concentrate on yourself I'd say!

    Actually, it might. Due to the bell curve they want every year, if loads of people cheat, the marking scheme becomes much harder for those who don't, making it unfair for them.

    Also, They could also be cheating someone else out of a fair, deserved college spot.

    So yes, at the end of the day, it affects everyone else. Report the ***** and I hope every single one is banned from state exams.




  • Actually, it might. Due to the bell curve they want every year, if loads of people cheat, the marking scheme becomes much harder for those who don't, making it unfair for them.

    Also, They could also be cheating someone else out of a fair, deserved college spot.

    So yes, at the end of the day, it affects everyone else. Report the ***** and I hope every single one is banned from state exams.

    If I could thank twice, I would. :)




  • Actually, it might. Due to the bell curve they want every year, if loads of people cheat, the marking scheme becomes much harder for those who don't, making it unfair for them.

    Also, They could also be cheating someone else out of a fair, deserved college spot.

    So yes, at the end of the day, it affects everyone else. Report the ***** and I hope every single one is banned from state exams.

    I agree with this so much. People don't even realise that it indirectly affects them. If you feel the need to cheat, then you shouldn't be sitting the Leaving Cert.




  • Don't be a snitch. Concentrate on your own performance in the exams.

    So I shouldn't be a "snitch", I should just let people who do **** all work during school then do great in the most important exam of our lives get away with it? Why do people see it as snitching? Everyone needs to grow a pair and stamp out low lives like these, not just let them on with cheating and thinking they don't count when it comes to playing by the rules. So with all do respect I don't believe you calling me a snitch is helpful, ta.

    Concentrating on my own exams is good advice but it's very difficult when this issue is such an annoyance.




  • If I were you, I would stop focusing on this, and concentrate on my own efforts. Control the controllables.

    The more time you spend complaining on a forum, the less time you are spending at study.

    I also wouldn't have this conversation on the internet. If you feel there is a problem with cheating in your school, raise it with, and only with, the school authorities and the superintendent. It is a private disciplinary matter for the school, not a public forum.


  • Advertisement


  • you should DEFINITELY report it. the people who have'nt cheated like me and you will be the ones who suffer because of the dishonest people who do. i haven't worked my as* off for somebody else who's lazy to take my place in college. its not fair.
    people like them should be BANNED from sitting the exams and i hope they are. dont listen to the people who say not to be a snitch. stand up for yourself and all of us and do whats right.




  • OFC "snitch" on them.

    Lets take it into perspective.

    A guy who puts in 5 hours of study a day for the last 5 months.

    A guy who did nothing for the last 2 years and cheats.

    The guy who cheats, gets the final college place instead of the other guy, which could possibly be me or you ;)

    Its pretty awful, that people would even cheat in it. I hope they do get caught, and can't repeat for 7 years I think it is. You may aswell, perhaps privately pass on a letter to the supervisor and/or teachers etc. They will obviously follow the patterns of these lads going to the toilet. Do tell, dont keep it quiet anyhow. ;)




  • i think its best you find some way of reporting this - but use someone you know you can trust
    - hate to say it -
    but its not beyond the bounds of reason for the invigilators to be paid off to turn a blind eye but knowing full well whats going on .

    what youare describing sound like a pre arranged setup to me .

    the leaving cheater goes on to cheat in college , then cheat in work
    they get found out in the end , but alot of people suffer long the way




  • Samskeyti wrote: »
    So I shouldn't be a "snitch", I should just let people who do **** all work during school then do great in the most important exam of our lives get away with it? Why do people see it as snitching? Everyone needs to grow a pair and stamp out low lives like these, not just let them on with cheating and thinking they don't count when it comes to playing by the rules. So with all do respect I don't believe you calling me a snitch is helpful, ta.

    Concentrating on my own exams is good advice but it's very difficult when this issue is such an annoyance.

    Admittedly my use of the word snitch was a bit harsh and I apologize for it. However, I still feel you shouldn't expose the cheating by your fellow peers. It is not your responsibilty that they are cheating. I wouldn't be able to expose my friends and fellow peers if I was aware that they were cheating. I feel that the risk they take by cheating is wreckless and that somewhere down the line the cheater's faults will be exposed.




  • Snitch on them! this isnt fair!

    I know its happening in our school but i don't know of it tbh
    Although i think the SEC should see this post and do something about i.. Not that they can really do much?




  • Admittedly my use of the word snitch was a bit harsh and I apologize for it. However, I still feel you shouldn't expose the cheating by your fellow peers. It is not your responsibilty that they are cheating. I wouldn't be able to expose my friends and fellow peers if I was aware that they were cheating. I feel that the risk they take by cheating is wreckless and that somewhere down the line the cheater's faults will be exposed.

    They're not 'peers' or 'friends' of mine. I don't see why I should protect them, I owe them nothing. They could be exposed but I believe it'll be too late, maybe when they take the places of people who actually worked. So I'm going to put a stop to this before they wreck our futures by taking our places in college.




  • Admittedly my use of the word snitch was a bit harsh and I apologize for it. However, I still feel you shouldn't expose the cheating by your fellow peers. It is not your responsibilty that they are cheating. I wouldn't be able to expose my friends and fellow peers if I was aware that they were cheating. I feel that the risk they take by cheating is wreckless and that somewhere down the line the cheater's faults will be exposed.


    But why give them the confidence to continue cheating by letting the see they can get away with it? if it i reported now their faults will be exposed now instead of later. They deserve punishment for what they are doing.




  • Snitch on them! this isnt fair!

    I know its happening in our school but i don't know of it tbh
    Although i think the SEC should see this post and do something about i.. Not that they can really do much?
    Not really sure what they can do, I think they have to investigate it and isolate the people accused with another exam or something. Either way they can't turn a blind eye to this if it's put into their faces.




  • It is also important to note that due to the harsh penalty for cheating, many supervisors are unwilling to report or note the incident.

    Finally - there is a limit to the amount of advantage you can gain by cheating. So, you might have the textbook in the bathroom. In reality - you can only spend a couple of minutes in the bathroom away from authority. You might pick up one definition or one formula. That won't carry a C3 student to an A1.

    Try to be rational and gain a measure of perspective.




  • Samskeyti, firstly delete all your private info off your profile on here-I now know who you are and what school you're talking about!

    Imo, you've a few choices now that you've made this public....

    1) Send a link to this page to several newspapers, maybe dropping another hint or few as to where the school is, and then let nature run it's course...they may pick up on it any way, remember last year's fiasco!

    2) If you think talking to the supervisors will work, try it. But remember, you're basically going to be telling them they're crap at what they're doing. If they bring it to the attention of the SEC, it could end up with them being fired, so tis doubtful whether they'll report it.

    3) Email the SEC yourself, (anonymously if you want) and let them know.

    4) Keep the head down, say nowt and finish the exams hoping you never have to work/see the cheaters again.

    It's a seriously sh** situation to find yourself in, don't envy you whatever you decide. Best of luck with your exams though, hope you get what you worked for, irrespective of those muppets.:)


  • Advertisement


  • reporrrrt them! it's not just you its affecting, but us too! it mightnt bring them from a C3 to an A1, but it certainly could from a C3 to a C2 or C1 which might be enough of a points increase for the cheater to get into college..to take one of OUR places!




  • itac wrote: »
    Samskeyti, firstly delete all your private info off your profile on here-I now know who you are and what school you're talking about!

    Imo, you've a few choices now that you've made this public....

    1) Send a link to this page to several newspapers, maybe dropping another hint or few as to where the school is, and then let nature run it's course...they may pick up on it any way, remember last year's fiasco!

    2) If you think talking to the supervisors will work, try it. But remember, you're basically going to be telling them they're crap at what they're doing. If they bring it to the attention of the SEC, it could end up with them being fired, so tis doubtful whether they'll report it.

    3) Email the SEC yourself, (anonymously if you want) and let them know.

    4) Keep the head down, say nowt and finish the exams hoping you never have to work/see the cheaters again.

    It's a seriously sh** situation to find yourself in, don't envy you whatever you decide. Best of luck with your exams though, hope you get what you worked for, irrespective of those muppets.:)

    I'm logged in on this account but this isn't my account, so I doubt you know what school I'm talking about but to be honest I have no problem with saying what school it is because it's a lousy one that only cares about its reputation, not the students who go there.




  • Samskeyti wrote: »
    I'm logged in on this account but this isn't my account, so I doubt you know what school I'm talking about but to be honest I have no problem with saying what school it is because it's a lousy one that only cares about its reputation, not the students who go there.


    Well for their sake, clear the info, or else make it very clear that you're posting as someone else, not them, as it could land them in a heap of crap!:D

    I would say get in touch with the SEC then, say you're certain that there's cheating going on at your centre, and see how it proceeds from there....fair play to you for taking a stand, and best of luck with it either way!




  • itac wrote: »
    Well for their sake, clear the info, or else make it very clear that you're posting as someone else, not them, as it could land them in a heap of crap!:D

    I would say get in touch with the SEC then, say you're certain that there's cheating going on at your centre, and see how it proceeds from there....fair play to you for taking a stand, and best of luck with it either way!

    How can I contact them? I'm scared to talk to them on the phone :P




  • I say rat them out, no reason they should do well or pass because they cheated. It's so easy to cheat and it's not fair on people, like me, who don't. Like others have said, they might cheat someone else out of a place in college, remember it's going to be tough this year, they say there's 2 students applying for every place this year.

    I'm studying my balls off and I still might not manage to get into college and you don't see me cheating. I don't think I'd be happy if I got into a college by cheating.




  • itac wrote: »

    1) Send a link to this page to several newspapers, maybe dropping another hint or few as to where the school is, and then let nature run it's course...they may pick up on it any way, remember last year's fiasco!
    :)


    I agree with itac here!

    I's so unfir if someone in ur school doesnt get their place in college and one of the cheaters do and then realise they arent able for it coz they cheated their way through the Leaving and drop out leaving the person who is able for it out of college of repeating...

    Its honestly not fair!




  • If someone goes to the effort of orchestrating an attempt at cheating, I'd say let them get away with it.

    "Really Now? But what about morals and justice?"

    One must ask themselves why they are going to snitch on someone : Is it for self-satisfaction? Some skewed self-righteous ideal? The possibility that they did better than you?

    I'd put my money on it that it's one of the above, and of course, neither of those things are very moral.

    However. If you're mortal enemies with someone you suspect is a cheater, I wouldn't even blink at the opportunity of ratting them out.




  • As I warned above, DO NOT name your school on the internet. Don't do anything that could be construed as libelous. Remember - the alleged cheating has not been proven or investigated. If anybody is caught in the act, they deserve a fair hearing before "cheating" has been established.

    I think it may be time for a moderator to take charge of this thread.




  • Samskeyti wrote: »
    How can I contact them? I'm scared to talk to them on the phone :P

    Google is your friend :cool:
    http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=co&sc=ct

    Email/Fax details are also there....just incase you might want to send them a link to this thread... ;)


  • Advertisement


  • Guys this thread really isn't going to do anyone any good, I think the Mods should lock it before things get out of hand, get back to study and focus on your own exams


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement