Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Africa Day, Iveagh Gardens Dublin 16th May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

One person asked if anybody is going to Africa Day and the reply was St patrick day, Racism, jews, Illegals, Tax payer, go back to where you come from etc etc etc. Some people who replied to all this stupid things which are not related to the topic i think should get themselves educated and learn more about what is being asked and reply according to it. At least something is being organise in this country to make the irish people discover other culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Kivaro wrote: »
    It sounds like you're changing your tune coz it's real easy to scream racism for effect and then quietly retract it later. Posters should be allowed to complain about how their tax money is spent and just because non-nationals are involved it does not mean that they are from Stormfront or whatever its called.
    Kivaro wrote: »
    Looked like a blanket statement to me. Maybe he should have been more specific as it's very easy to label a whole group 'racist', but it's really difficult to argue that you're not (after the accusation) because of the connotation associated with it.
    segaBOY wrote: »
    That was my exact problem. Blanket statements shouting racism aren't easy to fight when i is such an emotive term. Anyway she seems to have clarified it somewhat.
    WindSock wrote: »
    Everyone was happy and not a sour faced racist protesting about wasting our taxes etc in sight :pac:

Yes, you are right actually, it did look a bit like a blanket statement. I didn't mean it to come across as anyone who only wishes to protest be deemed a racist, I just threw it in there more as a tongue-in -cheek post (hence the pacman smiley) and also the sentance had a nice ring to it. (I just added 'faced' as it has an even better ring to it :cool:) Also, the etc bit implies that they would be gabbelling on about more than funding.

But I still hold the belief that there are those who will complain about these things regardless of who is funding it, they will try to find some fault or another in the event. Even though looking at the website there, much of the funding seems to have come from private businesses. / further clarification
    Is Windsock not a "she" by the way?

Yup :)

segaBOY wrote: »
    Tbh I think it's more of a situation where people with genuine concern are railroaded with the "racist" label because they disagree with someone else's viewpoint. It's an easy way out to try and win an arguement. Noone who is not a racist wants to be called a racist (because it is a disgusting term) and when that label is thrown at them they tend to back down incase people begin to believe it.

It just shows the people incorrectly using this term up for what they are, narrow minded and intolerant of other people's views.

The real racists just damage their own arguements by shouting outlandish comments which result in them getting a well deserved ban. They are a disgrace to themselves and their country.

To be honest the whole word has been abused so much now that it has become a ridiculous watered down term. I don't really even use it for what it is now, I just argue the point. I do use it as a joke, rightly or wrongly but I use it with sarcasm to point out the propesterousness of it being used in a serious context very wrongly.

ie - 'Sorry, the shops are closing now you have to get out'
    - 'Racist'

I do this as I have given up arguing with those who bandy it about easily, I often ask why or how something is racist and they seem to have difficulty grasping the term. In fact, I think a lot of people do. Do you know what makes me laugh? the 'Love Music, Hate Racism' event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Nodin wrote: »

...yet that hasn't happened here.

Are you saying this post isn't racist?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65907849&postcount=12

That's not one bit racist at all :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm going to fess up: my mouth curls in an involuntary snide chuckle when I see an event like 'Africa Day'. I then immediately visualize an earnest white person in one of those ethnic skull-cap thingies.

It's wrong, I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Great day, took ages to get in q was long but once inside is was great.
    Sun, music, food really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Went there twice, once at about 3.00, huge queues to get in, went to the pub, watched a match and tried to get in again about 4.30. Again huge queues so I left it.

I suppose the nice weather got a lot of people out and its good to see it was oversubscribed rather than otherwise. Heard from a few people that it was very good.

I suppose its up to the organisers what to do next year, either two days in the same venue or a bigger venue like the Phoenix Park.

I think the venue is good, easily reachable by public transport from all directions. Iveagh Gardens is a seriously underused part of Dublin too I think.

Well done to all who organised it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

stovelid wrote: »
    I'm going to fess up: my mouth curls in an involuntary snide chuckle when I see an event like 'Africa Day'. I then immediately visualize an earnest white person in one of those ethnic skull-cap thingies.

It's wrong, I know.

There was a lot of that actually!
    And lots of big groups of white hippies dancing and hugging to 'African' drums (all played by white people) - I feel bad that it makes me cringe, but it does!

But I thought it was a really fun day, really good atmosphere, there's no other day where you'll see so many people of different ages and nationalities in one place enjoying themselves. I think it's nice when there's an event that successfully mixes 'family day out' with 'day out boozing with buddies in the sun'. Shame about the big queues though, dunno what they can do about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

stovelid wrote: »

It's wrong, I know.

I feel the same, I imagine it was full of sandal-wearing ecomentalists wanting to feel all smug & multicultural for a day, of course, none of them live near Africans and would do everything to send their children to different schools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

parasite wrote: »
    I feel the same, I'd like to imagine it was full of sandal-wearing ecomentalists wanting to feel all smug & multicultural for a day, of course, none of them live near Africans and would do everything to send their children to different schools

..FYP

• Advertisement

Well I stood outside Harcourt Garda Station for about 15 minutes waiting for a couple of people, we went to the Bleeding Horse for a pint as the queues were so big and went to look at the queue later. A number of people asked me the way to the Gardens and I also had a good chance to look at who was going in. Yes I was expecting the stereotypical ethnic-huggers or whatever you want to call them but I was faily surprised at the cross section of Irish people who went in there. Sure there were more younger "ethno" types but people from all social groups and areas of Dublin and the country were there. Bit surprised to be honest but no bad thing either.

Incidentally public "parties/events" like this are the norm in other large cities across Europe. I suppose for some people it goes against the new idea that weekends should be spent in the hallowed confines of Dundrum Shopping Centre or whatever other new temple of mammon we have here, but the more of these things we can have the better, be it Dun Laoghire Culture Festival, Docklands Festival or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I like events like this - there is a large African population, it's a rich culture. Some people are genuinely interested in it, they're not trying to be all right-on... I appreciate there is bound to be an element of the latter though, which yeah, is kinda funny.

Kooli wrote: »
    And lots of big groups of white hippies dancing and hugging to 'African' drums (all played by white people) - I feel bad that it makes me cringe, but it does!

Yeah, I hate when the hippies jump in to things like this. I wanted to see a bit of African culture, from various African nationalities, not a bunch of crusty burlap sack wearing hippies being so 'free spirited'
    Gosh Fintan, this reminds me sooo much of Botswana.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,874 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I reckon we're so ****ing 'involved' and keen to help freaking Africa that we my as well adopt the whole continent, lock, stock and barrell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

So did anyone forget to observe African cultural norms and actually wear a condom yesterday?

No. we all got infected with AIDs on the way out as a souvenier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

walshb wrote: »
    I reckon we're so ****ing 'involved' and keen to help freaking Africa that we my as well adopt the whole continent, lock, stock and barrell

What a balanced, sensible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

rovert wrote: »
    What a balanced, sensible idea.

+1. For once, a great idea from walshie regarding Africa.

Kudos. I never thought I'd say it, but kudos. You're elected goodwill ambassador to Africa (yes, all of it). Get your passport and your jabs.
    So did anyone forget to observe African cultural norms like and actually wear a condom yesterday?

What? Africans engage in unprotected sex? OMG, no. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

You might want to check out why they celebrate St Patrick's day in Martinique.

The slaves chose that day to have their uprising, because they knew that all their Irish slave masters would be rolling around drunk. The uprising failed, but it is still commemorated.

I call "shenanigans" on this story.

1) martinique was a french colony

2) st.pattys day celebrations are a fairly recent phenomenom, originating from the Irish community in the US.

and as an afterthought.. the only time you WOULDN'T want to take on a bunch of Irishmen is when they are drunk :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

orourkeda wrote: »
    When are we having a go back to Africa day?
    Bloody hell. That's a terrible post. I hope they aren't your genuine feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I call "shenanigans" on this story.

1) martinique was a french colony

2) st.pattys day celebrations are a fairly recent phenomenom, originating from the Irish community in the US.

and as an afterthought.. the only time you WOULDN'T want to take on a bunch of Irishmen is when they are drunk :-)

It was Montserrat.

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/slavery/montserrat.htm
    The Irish planters brought African slaves to work their sugar cane fields. Soon the slaves outnumbered them 3-to-1 and began rebelling.

By the way, the British ruled Martinique from 1793 to 1802 and from 1809 to 1814.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

theboxer wrote: »
    Just as random as yours.

What have illegal paddys in America got to do with the discussion?

Just the irish way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

thanks for the clarification
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    It was Montserrat.

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/slavery/montserrat.htm

By the way, the British ruled Martinique from 1793 to 1802 and from 1809 to 1814.
    Tourism officials trying to bolster the island's battered economy have
    been promoting the celebration in Europe in hopes of luring visitors from
    Ireland.

``It's all fun,'' Castle said. ``There are no hard feelings between the
    cultures. What happened way back in history is past for us.''

sounds like the Montserrat celebrations are as modern a phenomenon as the Irish-American and the Irish celebrations..

give me those over the Orange marching season anyday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

Dont be giving people ideas.:)

theboxer wrote: »
    Africa day 16th May - 30th May. If the africans want to celebrate their culture, let them foot the bill.

Pages and pages of posts, but this one nails it.

Fat chance though. You can bet it's the Irish who are plugging
    this day and forcing this day, the Africans couldn't care less.

Pages and pages of posts, but this one nails it.

Fat chance though. You can bet it's the Irish who are plugging
    this day and forcing this day, the Africans couldn't care less.

...and if they were, sure you'd be complaining anyway. But at least you're consistent.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...and if they were, sure you'd be complaining anyway. But at least you're consistent.

If they were what, paying for it? You're having a laugh, right?

If they were what, paying for it? You're having a laugh, right?

Yeah, thats your usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

What a great day it was yesterday. Felt like the start of the summer. I cant understand why people would think its anything but a great idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement