Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Africa Day, Iveagh Gardens Dublin 16th May

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Well, just home, spent about 3-4 hours in Iveagh Gardens.

Really nice day, nice atmosphere, gorgeous weather, great food!
    My daughter loved it, she made tribal masks, learned to play african drums, danced, ate lamb curry from Timbuktu, beef stew from.... (somewhere else :o)
    All in all, really great day out.

I left about 4.50 and the queues to get in were all the way down Harcourt st. Successful day all round I would say.

Sounded like a really nice day, glad you enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Well, just home, spent about 3-4 hours in Iveagh Gardens.

Really nice day, nice atmosphere, gorgeous weather, great food!
    My daughter loved it, she made tribal masks, learned to play african drums, danced, ate lamb curry from Timbuktu, beef stew from.... (somewhere else :o)
    All in all, really great day out.

I left about 4.50 and the queues to get in were all the way down Harcourt st. Successful day all round I would say.

I arrived around 3:15 and the queue went down Harcourt st almost to St Stephen's Green, and they were saying it was at least an hour to go in. Loads of people gave up and left (including myself). I guess with the good weather, more people showed up than they expected. It was a nice afternoon to be out and about though.

I arrived around 3:15 and the queue went down Harcourt st almost to St Stephen's Green, and they were saying it was at least an hour to go in. Loads of people gave up and left (including myself). I guess with the good weather, more people showed up than they expected. It was a nice afternoon to be out and about though.

Yeh that's pretty much where it was when I left. I'm not sure what the point of queuing at that stage was though as it was over at 6 I think. Thankfully I arrived about 1 o'clock and strolled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

We arrived at 1, no queuing thankfully! The food was great, I hadn't eaten Nshima or Boerwurst or Piri Piri chicken in years so I made a pig of myself. :)

We left around 4, I couldn't believe how many were outside waiting to get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Went at around after 2ish, queued (sp?) for around 10 mins and thought ah feck, too many people etc. Got in and it was great. Lovely atmosphere and the sun was out. The music when we got our food was hideous, not African but wailing off key Yankee stuff, but we went elsewhere after food bit to look around and it was great. Singing and dancing and drumming etc. The clothes were cool, everyone was happy, saw lots of mad stuff, Iveagh gardens are lovely. Everyone was happy and not a sour racist protesting about wasting our taxes etc in sight :pac:
    Came back out then to see we were very lucky with the queue as it was all the way down Harcourt St at that stage and an hours wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Just back home. Went around 2 so didn't have to queue for more than 5 minutes.

Good food, music, weather, a good atmosphere, good craic altogether. And free drinks :D Did anyone try the vodka+honey thing from Kenya? Smashing

Barna77 wrote: »
    And free drinks :D Did anyone try the vodka+honey thing from Kenya? Smashing

em, no :eek:
    I got a free biscuit from morocco though :pac:

WindSock wrote: »
    not a sour racist protesting about wasting our taxes etc in sight :pac:

Just because some people believe it is a waste of Irish Aid money doesn't mean they are racist.

Glad everyone who went had a good day, seemed funky!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

when the irish aid budget is spent in Africa they complain
    when the Irish aid money is spent in Ireland they still complain

jesus some people are never happy.

when the irish aid budget is spent in Africa they complain
    when the Irish aid money is spent in Ireland they still complain

jesus some people are never happy.

For the record I disagree with the recent cut in the Irish Aid budget. I think it has done some brilliant work in developing nations and should continue to do so.

But I do not like when this money is wasted-particularly after their already slim budget was cut. Spending the money on the said event is a waste of money that could be better spent in the developing world and in my view such a waste is wrong.

But all in all now that the day is over I'm glad people had a good day and hopefully this will bring some good out of it and encourage people to do more work for the developing world.

I don't think that point of view is irrational or racist but some people here seem to want to paint it in that light.

• Advertisement

segaBOY wrote: »
    But I do not like when this money is wasted-particularly after their already slim budget was cut. It's a waste of money that could be better spent in the developing world and in my view such a waste is wrong.

I'm not sure if you were there today or not, but there were many many people signing up to sponsor a child and to donate money. There were also stands where people could get info holidaying to africa so I think it really did help raise awareness and get more money into the continent :)

I'm not sure if you were there today or not, but there were many many people signing up to sponsor a child and to donate money. There were also stands where people could get info holidaying to africa so I think it really did help raise awareness and get more money into the continent :)

Well that's great news and I cannot find fault with that. But I am generally scepticle of Government spending in such events and quangos.

I cannot comment fully as I do not know how much this event cost-v-the actual economic benefit to the developing world from it, but, if the money pledged to charities through fundraising at the event and heightened awareness outweighs Government spending then it was a great day.

However, just because someone doesn't agree on Government spending on said event does not make them racist, and that is my biggest gripe with this thread. Memebers of my family have worked directly in Africa and I have helped fundraise for projects in the developing world through private agencies and I am proud of that.

To label someone who thinks that Irish Aid money could have been better spent elsewhere racist is just narrowminded and wrong. Anyone who throws that label around so freely should be ashamed of themselves. It is bloody hurtful when your point of view is railroaded and labelled racist just because it doesn't agree with someone elses.

However, just because someone doesn't agree on Government spending on said event does not make them racist, and that is my biggest gripe with this thread. Memebers of my family have worked directly in Africa and I have helped fundraise for projects in the developing world through private agencies and I am proud of that.

To label someone who thinks that Irish Aid money could have been better spent elsewhere racist is just narrowminded and wrong. Anyone who throws that label around so freely should be ashamed of themselves. It is bloody hurtful when your point of view is railroaded and labelled racist just because it doesn't agree with someone elses.

I wasn't commenting at all on the racism accusation, just to clarify.

I wasn't commenting at all on the racism accusation, just to clarify.

I know you weren't and I agree with what you say:

1) I'm glad it was a good day and showcase of African culture
    2) I'm glad it heightened awareness.

However, I feel the accussations of racism need to be dealt with. Such narrow mindedness by other posters in relation to those who question the spending of Irish Aid money doesn't do anyone favours. If anything, it stiffles the development of a more efficient and transparent system which deals with the way Irish money is spent on aid and it creates resentment among those who wish to question this as they are incorrectly labelled racist, and thus it does more harm to Irish aid contributions than good.

That's just my 2c on the matter, not aimed at you whoopsadaisydoodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The French worked with the Irish government to organize a cultural festival that lasted for three days,

Southsiderosie,was that the 2009 French Food Festival way out west in Galway ?

This attracted the attention of our Food Safety Authority which despatched an operative armed with a shiny new diploma in food science or some such who promptly shut half the outlets down cos they had stuff like raw meat and cheese on display...FRENCH stuff at that !

I heard a Radio interview later on with one of the French farmery types who was hugely miffed that after several generations of selling produce and managing to amass a large (living) customer base he was now effectively being told he had got it all wrong.

It was pointed out that the FSA`s eagerness to coat stuff in plastic wrapping had little real science behind it either,but then our woeful adult health stats made that point somewhat better and in stark contrast to the rather better general health and longetivity of the bloody French and their preference for fresher produce.

Hopefully the FSA were kept well to fluckk away from Iveagh Gardens today as the sight and smell of naked Yams might cause an International incident should they decide to wrap them in clingfilm !

On another line altogether,Ive just watched a trailer for some documentary coming along on Channel 4 (?) and it featured no less an African than Sir Bobert Mugabe saying that no White Man could be an African (Which I suppose is reasonable enough given that we can`t dance)....However this should not be taken as a racist comment surely...was`nt oul Bob a true freedom fighter n all that ?

Was there a Zimbabwean Cuisine stand there today ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Nobody was labelled racist because they questioned the money spent, they were labelled racist because of this
    The same state turned our national day, a religious feast day for Catholics and Anglicans, into a multiculti propaganda fest of 'New Irish' floats while banning any references to Christianity in the Dublin parade.
    So go along, and celebrate the only culture our state agencies don't actively wish to destroy - the non-indigenous cultures of a far-off continent with little in common with Ireland, few historical connections relatively speaking, and slender achievements.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65907849&postcount=12

Nodin wrote: »
    Nobody was labelled racist because they questioned the money spent, they were labelled racist because of this

I beg to differ Nodin, you even thanked the post.
    not a sour racist protesting about wasting our taxes etc in sight :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I beg to differ Nodin, you even thanked the post.

That presumes that he meant people were racist for complaining, as opposed to what he said about racists complaining.

You were whinging about people being unfairly labelled racist long before that post was made.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65909857&postcount=111

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65909755&postcount=95

..and that despite the clearly racist post that the argument was about, which for some reason you didn't bother to refer to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Southsiderosie,was that the 2009 French Food Festival way out west in Galway?...

No, it was a literary festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

went along to this late ish, we got there around half four and the queue to get in, ended up just going to see the ducks instead in Stephen's green.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Nodin wrote: »
    That presumes that he meant people were racist for complaining, as opposed to what he said about racists complaining.

You were whinging about people being unfairly labelled racist long before that post was made.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65909857&postcount=111

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65909755&postcount=95

..and that despite the clearly racist post that the argument was about, which for some reason you didn't bother to refer to.

+1

Definately anyone who wishes to complain about the aid being better spent is not a racist, and I agree it is a word bandied about far too often, it also annoys me a lot that it is.
    My post was aimed at those who are complaining about there being an Africa Day in the first place, the ones who don 't seem to bat an eyelid at any other multicultural festivals but jump on the hate Africa float and sure 'it's a complete waste of money' when clearly it wasn't as it proved extremely popular.
    Apologies if my post was taken up wrongly, as I don't like to label all voices of dissent as racist. /clarification

+1

Definately anyone who wishes to complain about the aid being better spent is not a racist, and I agree it is a word bandied about far too often, it also annoys me a lot that it is.

Thanks for the clarification WindSock, I agree with you.
    My post was aimed at those who are complaining about there being an Africa Day in the first place, the ones who don 't seem to bat an eyelid at any other multicultural festivals but jump on the hate Africa float and sure 'it's a complete waste of money' when clearly it wasn't as it proved extremely popular.
    Apologies if my post was taken up wrongly, as I don't like to label all voices of dissent as racist. /clarification

Ok, well I'm not in that brigade (and I don't think the majority of people posting here, for/against are) and I see where you are coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

+1

It sounds like you're changing your tune coz it's real easy to scream racism for effect and then quietly retract it later. Posters should be allowed to complain about how their tax money is spent and just because non-nationals are involved it does not mean that they are from Stormfront or whatever its called.

It's good to hear the event was enjoyed by the indigenous folk: That's what multiculturalism is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Kivaro wrote: »
    It sounds like you're changing your tune coz it's real easy to scream racism for effect and then quietly retract it later. Posters should be allowed to complain about how their tax money is spent and just because non-nationals are involved it does not mean that they are from Stormfront or whatever its called.

It's good to hear the event was enjoyed by the indigenous folk: That's what multiculturalism is all about.

I believe Windsock was complaining about the two posters who were banned for racism as were a lot of the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

Millicent wrote: »
    I believe Windsock was complaining about the two posters who were banned for racism as were a lot of the rest of us.

Are you a clairvoyant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Looked like a blanket statement to me. Maybe he should have been more specific as it's very easy to label a whole group 'racist', but it's really difficult to argue that you're not (after the accusation) because of the connotation associated with it.

Looked like a blanket statement to me. Maybe he should have been more specific as it's very easy to label a whole group 'racist', but it's really difficult to argue that you're not (after the accusation) because of the connotation associated with it.

That was my exact problem. Blanket statements shouting racism aren't easy to fight when i is such an emotive term. Anyway she seems to have clarified it somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

theboxer wrote: »
    Are you a clairvoyant?

Did I not start that with "I believe"?! :P

And I understand where you're coming from and it is a horrible thing to be accused of in the wrong. I think (and I'm speaking from my opinion here) that the two undeniably racist posts had me on edge from the start of this thread and when your back's up like that, it's easy to misconstrue other posts. But agree 100% with the connotations behind "racist".

Is Windsock not a "she" by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

I think (and I'm speaking from my opinion here) that the two undeniably racist posts had me on edge from the start of this thread and when your back's up like that, it's easy to misconstrue other posts. But agree 100% with the connotations behind "racist".

But not a whimper out of you when this was posted(Nodin thanked it).
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    White Europeans don't need work permits to enter Africa. They just waltz in, rape the women, take what they want, and leave with slaves

Substitute white with black, european with african and you would have been up in arms. As I said yesterday, its double standards.

• Advertisement

theboxer wrote: »
    But not a whimper out of you when this was posted(Nodin thanked it).

Substitute white with black, european with african and you would have been up in arms. As I said yesterday, its double standards.

I actually found the post you are referring to extremely insulting as a White European. I'm Irish, all of my ancestors are Irish, we didn't go to Africa at any stage, we played no part in their colonisation or exploitation of their people or what have you. To tar all White Europeans with such blanket statements is blatant racism.

+1 on your observation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement