Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Africa Day, Iveagh Gardens Dublin 16th May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

walshb wrote: »
    Pages and pages of posts, but this one nails it.

Fat chance though. You can bet it's the Irish who are plugging
    this day and forcing this day, the Africans couldn't care less.

Right. So who pays for the Paddys Day parades in New York, Chicago, San Francisco and all the other cities worldwide. The Irish? And what kind of chaos does a 4 hour parade cause in New York every year, most of the time on a weekday at that.

FFS lighten up, its only a free day out in the sun for the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Nodin wrote: »
    ...and if they were, sure you'd be complaining anyway. But at least you're consistent.

Since you're the expert on the supporters of Africa Day perhaps you could enlighten us as to what proportion of funding for this came from Africans?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

bijapos wrote: »
    Right. So who pays for the Paddys Day parades in New York, Chicago, San Francisco and all the other cities worldwide. The Irish? And what kind of chaos does a 4 hour parade cause in New York every year, most of the time on a weekday at that.

FFS lighten up, its only a free day out in the sun for the family.

What has Patrick's day in the U.S. got to do with anything?

Also, what is free about Africa day? It's a promotional exercise to generate
    yet more cash for the continent and for the NGOs who are over there being the big
    white chiefs.

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    What a great day it was yesterday. Felt like the start of the summer. I cant understand why people would think its anything but a great idea.

What is great about the idea?

Yeah, thats your usual.

So, you were having a laugh, thought so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Since you're the expert on the supporters of Africa Day perhaps you could enlighten us as to what proportion of funding for this came from Africans?

No idea. Not that you or your fellow travellers give a rats ass how much did come from Africans, because your problem isn't with the funding. That much was clear from your early post.

And of course, you're unable to posit a guess as to why the RBS or Diageo is listed as a "supporter".

You never got back to me on a few things - Why is the "state" trying to destroy Irish culture, for instance. Thats one I'm dying to know

If you believe that removing overtly catholic iconography from a parade is one of the methods they're using to do this, are you saying that one can only be Irish if one follows a certain religion?

What is great about the idea?

What's so bad about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

The strain of argument here appears to be if people of Irish origin have a festival in their respective nations, non Irish nationals must have their own festivals in Ireland at the Irish taxpayers expense There are 40-50,000 illegals in America, ergo, we should open up our borders to all and sundry. Irish people commit crimes in other countries this must be balanced by non nationals coming to ireland and committing crimes here.

And so on.....

Hmm, RBS and Diageo; getting involved with publicity and advertising? Why would they be doing this? That's a tricky one....

What's so bad about it?

Hey, I never said there was anything bad. The poster (Andy-Pandy) said it was a great idea, I'd like him/her to tell me why.....

• Advertisement

You are complaining that Africans supposedly did not pay for the festival yesterday. My point is we don't pay for Paddys Day parades abroad so there isn't much point complaining about this.

Also, what is free about Africa day? It's a promotional exercise to generate
    yet more cash for the continent and for the NGOs who are over there being the big
    white chiefs.

So if I decide not to give anything to the NGO's seems it would be a free day out.

theboxer wrote: »
    The strain of argument here appears to be if people of Irish origin have a festival in their respective nations, non Irish nationals must have their own festivals in Ireland at the Irish taxpayers expense There are 40-50,000 illegals in America, ergo, we should open up our borders to all and sundry. Irish people commit crimes in other countries this must be balanced by non nationals coming to ireland and committing crimes here.

And so on.....

A classic example of the excuse that passes for logic in some peoples minds....I've bolded the funniest part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Where's my Europe day :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

No idea. Not that you or your fellow travellers give a rats ass how much did come from Africans, because your problem isn't with the funding. That much was clear from your early post.

I'm very keen to know howw much did come from Africans, having previously established that I and every other taxpayer are picking up the bulk of the tab for this.
    I suspect very little or nothing was contributed by Africans to this. That's why I'm asking.

Hmm, RBS and Diageo; getting involved with publicity and advertising? Why would they be doing this? That's a tricky one....

Well, apparently cavehill can't figure it out....his mind goes black every time, so to speak.

You are complaining that Africans supposedly did not pay for the festival yesterday. My point is we don't pay for Paddys Day parades abroad so there isn't much point complaining about this.

So if I decide not to give anything to the NGO's seems it would be a free day out.

No no no, never free. Irish Aid are heavily involved too. That is my tax money.

The government decides, not you.

I'm very keen to know howw much did come from Africans, having previously established that I and every other taxpayer are picking up the bulk of the tab for this.
    I suspect very little or nothing was contributed by Africans to this. That's why I'm asking.

I'll give you a guesstimate and say zilch

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Where's my Europe day :confused:

Reading the thread or using a search engine might help there.

Reading the thread or using a search engine might help there.

I read half the thread and then I got tired of reading your posts, insinuating that everyone who doesn't agree with Africa Day is a racist

• Advertisement

When you actually sit back and think about it. Ireland, a ****ing tiny insignificant country with a population of about 4.5 million people and we are falling over ourselves to promote and "help" and "give" to the worlds second largest continent, with a population of close to 1 Billion people. You couldn't make it up.

Ask a Dublin City councillor if you want a full break down, and while your at it ask how much the Germans paid for the Oktoberfest and Christmas Market in Georges Dock last year. Do you want them banned as well? Ban the Festival of World Cultures as well cos no foreigners paid for it, ban the Docklands festival cos you don't sail so why should you pay for it, ban the Strret Performers festival cos your not a street performer, ban the Phoenix Park races cos you don't like motor sport and so on.

FFS, if it costs money to go to something in this city its whinge whinge whinge, if its free its whinge whinge whinge.

I read half the thread and then I got tired of reading your posts, insinuating that everyone who doesn't agree with Africa Day is a racist

I never said any such thing. Obviously reading comprehension isn't your forte.

Nodin, it is hard to ignore, but every time someone says something against
    this you seem to wanna' label them a racist. Poor reflection on you really.

Ban 'em all, Ban 'em all to hell!

When you actually sit back and think about it. Ireland, a ****ing tiny insignificant country with a population of about 4.5 million people and we are falling over ourselves to promote and "help" and "give" to the worlds second largest continent, with a population of close to 1 Billion people. You couldn't make it up.

Yeah, same as the EU giving us billions of aid over the years, couldn't make it up either.

Yeah, same as the EU giving us billions of aid over the years, couldn't make it up either.

No, not really the same. The same would be a country like Iceland or Switzerland falling over themselves to give and give to Africa, but guess what, they aren't.

The ordinary African paid about the same amount as the ordinary Irish paid for a Paddys day parade in any city on the planet. i.e. Zilch. Fair swop?

It passed the one billion mark in November 2009. There were no celebrations. No "Africa Day - Yay, we passed the one billion mark". Just embarrassed silence.

• Advertisement

Do you disgruntled racist types c&p your whines from some central site?

Not at all. It's perfectly possible to question Government spending on any number of issues without being racist. You being a racist, however, obviously haven't taken that route.

Here's two posts where you called people racist for no apparent reason

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement