Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe winter storm- Severe Blizzards and Heavy Snow this evening/night - Take Action

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Beautiful snowy bedlam here in North Tipp!

Horizontal blizzard - almost total whiteout, drifting wherever it can, with flakes the size of snowballs thrashing the side of our cottage.

Can barely see out of the north-east facing windows, and here's why:

15011_412695775711_622940711_5032414_6667549_n.jpg
    Taken less than half an hour ago!

On a more serious note, I've got a hospital appt tomorrow morning, and its kind of important to be there....much as I hate to ask (as a bona fide snow-addict!) is there a chance this will have cleared by the morning?

That is a seriously cool pic, i never had anything like that even here in the mountains.
    Hope its all ok for you tomorrow.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

RobitTV wrote: »
    More reports of Power Outages Across Munster and Leinster

Reports where?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

For those who love snow enjoy the night :)

For those who hate it dont fret, March 31st wont be an ice day and it will thaw fast. ;)

result for all :cool:

Gets better, according to aertel bayern won with a 90th minute goal.
    Now i know i cant trust aertel but.....:D:D:D:D:D

yes indeedy that was nice. pangea must have gone outside so the rain would mask his tears:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Ok guys i have the full report from AA Roadwatch....

*CONDITIONS* Hazardous conditions in parts of Counties Cavan, Donegal, Leitrim, Longford, Monaghan, Offaly and Westmeath due to sleet, snow and high winds. Further snow is expected overnight in the East, Northeast and Midlands. Allow extra time for journeys in the morning. *M6/WESTMEATH* The M6 Galway/Dublin Rd has reopened westbound at J8 Athlone Bypass following an earlier incident which has been cleared. Continue to take extra care both ways at the Athlone Bypass due to excess surface water. *N4* Care is advised both ways on the N4 (Dublin/Sligo Rd) Mullingar Bypass and on all adjoining roads due to slushy conditions. *OFFALY* Sleet and slushy conditions around Tullamore. Extreme care advised. *LAOIS* The Moanbaun/Mountrath Rd (R430) is blocked at Moanbawn due to a fallen telegraph pole. *N55/CAVAN* No further reports of a fallen tree on the Ballinagh/Kilnaleck (R154).Conditions are poor around the county with slush. Gardai advise against travel unless necessary.

* Barrack Hill should be avoided due to heavy snowfall. * Gardai are advising extra care on the N16/A4 Blacklion/Enniskillen Rd due to sleet and snow. *N55/LONGFORD* Poor driving conditions due to snow around Granard and Edgeworthstown on the N55. Road conditions are very poor overall with snow and high winds. Drive with extreme care. *MEATH* The Kells/Oldcastle Rd (R154) is closed at Patrickstown due to flooding and snow on the road. *MONAGHAN* Slushy conditions around Co. Monaghan; drive with extreme care. *DONEGAL* Take care on higher ground around Letterkenny following earlier snow. *WICKLOW* Gardai say the Sally Gap and Wicklow Gap are impassable due to snow and ice. Areas of high ground should be avoided. *ROSCOMMON* Excess surface water on the N61 Boyle/Roscommon Rd.Drive with extra care.

*CITIES* *GALWAY* Rainy conditions around the city centre but traffic is moving well at this time. *LIMERICK* No problems for Limerick city centre traffic this evening; road conditions are wet however so drive with extra care. *WATERFORD* Waterford city centre traffic is moving well at this time. Drive with care due to wet road conditions. *CORK* Cork city centre traffic is moving well at this time. *DUBLIN* See the Dublin Summary. *ROADWORKS* *WICKLOW* On Wed 31st March the Level Crossing at the Murrough on the Wicklow/Rathnew Rd (R750) will close. Diversions will be in place.
    *M8/TIPPERARY/CORK* The M8 Dublin/Cork Rd is closed southbound from J11 Cahir South (Tipperary) to J12 Mitchelstown (Cork) until this Friday (2nd) for works. Diversions are in place. *N7/TIPPERARY* Traffic lights are in operation 24/7 on the N7 Dublin/Limerick Rd at Ballywilliam, south of Nenagh, until approx Mon 12th April. *M7/LAOIS* Further north, the M7 Dublin/Limerick Rd is closed at Clonkeen until late May, with traffic both ways diverted onto the Portlaoise Link Rd (R445). A stop/go system is in place on the Portlaoise Link Rd until approx. 5pm Wed 31st.

*N13/DONEGAL* A stop/go system is in place on the N13 Letterkenny/Newtown Cunningham Rd between Moyle and Newtown Cunningham from 9am to 4pm daily until this Thursday (1st). *MEATH* The Duleek/Kilmoon Cross Rd (R152) is closed for works until this Friday (2nd). Diversions are in place via Balrath Cross (R150) & the N2. Bus Éireann Route 103 services are affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

stormy here now. the light are flickering all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

sdonn wrote: »
    Reports where?
    Went off for about 3 sec.. then back on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

sdonn wrote: »
    Bloody wet in the city now. Cold and miserable outside, I wanna go home (albeit to Malahide where there probably wont be any feckin leccy).

What about the N18/M18, M6, WRC Galway to Limerick open now?

Can't believe I'm defending Biffo. I must be mad.

Neither can I. Galway-Limerick just opened now? Big wow, it is supposed to be 2010. N17 falling to bits. Roads around the county more like the surface of the moon. Co Councils claiming they have no money yet still overcharge on car tax.

FFF ;)

Ooh! Feck my Light just flickerd for longer then usual

The radar images are not to be trusted, here is snowing like its going out of fashion and there is not even a light blue overhead on the radar, yet earlier we were supposed to be uinder heavy precip and the roads were drying out.
    Tis wild out altogether, great stuff.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Heavy snow again in Dublin 15 around Blanchardstown and Castleknock and starting to stick once again. Has been snowing here for most of the day. Surprised to hear there was some sleety snow in Waterford as from my experience it never snows there.:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

good man DE bang on, as for today 22 billion to anglo jesus wept:( the fecking country could go under tonight its gone under economically ale will be had, enjoying weather though..

Hey Black Briar, are ye not tempted to go for a spin in your 4x4 , conditions are perfect for a suicidal spin up the mountains! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Neither can I. Galway-Limerick just opened now? Big wow, it is supposed to be 2010. N17 falling to bits. Roads around the county more like the surface of the moon. Co Councils claiming they have no money yet still overcharge on car tax.

FFF ;)

Roads with no N attached to them are Co Council responsibility and I'm quite aware how Galway Co Co are a shower of eejits ;)

I'll agree with you though - the N17 is a complete and utter death trap, ESPECIALLY in weather like this.

Supercell wrote: »
    The radar images are not to be trusted, here is snowing like its going out of fashion and there is not even a light blue overhead on the radar, yet earlier we were supposed to be uinder heavy precip and the roads were drying out.
    Tis wild out altogether, great stuff.

I agree SC, raining here, albeit lightly for much of the day yet nothing overhead on the radar. Dosen't seem to be working right over the last couple of days at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Lights flickering like mad in Dublin too, but it's not very windy out at all :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭RockPaper

Ooh! Feck my Light just flickerd for longer then usual
    RobitTV where in Waterford are you? I'm in the city centre and there's no sign of any white stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Just having a a look at the Met reports at 10,very windy right across the place at the moment,lights flickering again in Castlebar,was ok there for about an hour.rain/sleet has cleared but blustry showers have now arrived.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just started snowing here again! hopefully there will be a few hours of the stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Still raining here but if the temp continues falling at the rate it may begin to look more hopeful! Down to 3.3C/1.9C now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

It's getting worse here Nacho - and I'm presuming what I'm getting is heading your way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

*N55/LONGFORD* Poor driving conditions due to snow around Granard and Edgeworthstown on the N55. Road conditions are very poor overall with snow and high winds. Drive with extreme care.

Anyone around Longford, the Ardagh area is very bad also, as well as the Edgeworthstown to Ballinalee stretch. Visibility is very bad, <50m in exposed areas

RockPaper wrote: »
    RobitTV where in Waterford are you? I'm in the city centre and there's no sign of any white stuff..

Im out in the Waterford road I Heard there was heavy stuff in waterford earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

RockPaper wrote: »

Stopped at the moment but there was a bit of a blizzard earlier.

Winds decreasing all the while here to your south. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Not wrote: »
    Lights flickering like mad in Dublin too, but it's not very windy out at all :confused:

Yes it is! Where are you?

Stopped at the moment but there was a bit of a blizzard earlier.

In tramore its just a hurricane its crazy out here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Anyone around Longford, the Ardagh area is very bad also, as well as the Edgeworthstown to Ballinalee stretch. Visibility is very bad, <50m in exposed areas

Is any snow sticking there, or is just very bad due to visibility ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

I bet you that the Claremorris-Tuam-Galway line will not be opened as promised in 2011. More FF soft soaping is my guess, this government has done nothing for the west, and I can't see that changing very much.

Couldn't agree more... I expect that new modes of transport will have been invented before anymore of that rail line opens, if it ever does.

More chance of us getting the winter olympics.

Winds are very strong 53 Km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

With all the talk of electrickery outages I'm imaging I'm seeing the lights flickering here in West Limerick.

Not particularly windy or wet here, occassional blustery showers would best describe the conditions.

Looking forward to curling up in bed, listening to the wind :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement