Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Olympics on TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

4 man bob sleigh really is the business, so exciting. Those dudes are absolute monsters, built like tanks the lot of them. Cant wait for the last two runs.
    So its Canada vs USA in the hockey final. Who do you think will come out on top this time? Should be a classic.
    Cant believe its almost over though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Canada will win, no doubt! As much as I'd love an American win, Canada will not allow the Americans to beat them twice on home soil. Hopefully, it will be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,720 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have been watching some of the action on the BBC HD satellite channel on a 50" plasma. The picture quality, when it isn't snowing, is fabulous and makes it such a joy to watch.

Thank you BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Shane O Connor is going in the mens Slalom tonight

Bib Athlete
    1 SUI ZURBRIGGEN Silvan
    2 CRO KOSTELIC Ivica
    3 AUT RAICH Benjamin
    4 FRA LIZEROUX Julien
    5 AUT PRANGER Manfred
    6 AUT HIRSCHER Marcel
    7 AUT HERBST Reinfried
    8 ITA MOELGG Manfred
    9 SLO VALENCIC Mitja
    10 SWE HARGIN Mattias
    11 FRA MISSILLIER Steve
    12 SWE MYHRER Andre
    13 ITA RAZZOLI Giuliano
    14 CAN JANYK Michael
    15 GER NEUREUTHER Felix
    16 USA LIGETY Ted
    17 USA MILLER Bode
    18 NOR MYHRE Lars Elton
    19 CAN COUSINEAU Julien
    20 SWE BAECK Axel
    21 MDA IMBODEN Urs
    22 USA COCHRAN Jimmy
    23 SUI GINI Marc
    24 ITA THALER Patrick
    25 SLO VAJDIC Bernard
    26 ITA DEVILLE Cristian
    27 JPN SASAKI Akira
    28 CAN SPENCE Brad
    29 CZE TREJBAL Filip
    30 SWE BYGGMARK Jens
    31 NOR JANSRUD Kjetil
    32 SUI BERTHOD Marc
    33 BUL ALBRECHT Kilian
    34 CZE KRYZL Krystof
    35 CAN WHITE Trevor
    36 SLO SKUBE Matic
    37 CZE BANK Ondrej
    38 FRA MERMILLOD BLONDIN Thomas
    39 JPN MINAGAWA Kentaro
    40 NOR KARLSEN Truls Ove
    41 FRA TISSOT Maxime
    42 NOR HAUGEN Leif
    43 CRO ZRNCIC-DIM Natko
    44 CRO SAMSAL Dalibor
    45 SLO DRAGSIC Mitja
    46 USA KASPER Nolan
    47 SUI VILETTA Sandro
    48 CZE VRABLIK Martin
    49 ISL BJOERGVINSSON Bjoergvin
    50 RUS HOROSHILOV Alexandr
    51 KOR JUNG Dong-Hyun
    52 FIN ROMAR Andreas
    53 GBR RYDING David
    54 RUS MAITAKOV Sergei
    55 KOR KIM Woo-Sung
    56 BUL GEORGIEV Stefan
    57 BEL MOLLIN Bart
    58 MDA ROUX Christophe
    59 ISL SIGURGEIRSSON Stefan Jon
    60 RUS ZUEV Stepan
    61 CRO MARINELLI Danko
    62 GRE DIMITRIADIS Vassilis
    63 BEL VAN DEN BOGAERT Jeroen
    64 GEO ABRAMASHVILI Iason
    65 ARG SIMARI BIRKNER Cristian Javier
    66 SVK BABUSIAK Jaroslav
    67 IRI SAVEH SHEMSHAKI Porya
    68 AND VIDOSA Roger
    69 IRI SAVEH SHEMSHAKI Hossein
    70 ROU NAN Ioan-Gabriel
    71 GBR NOBLE Andrew
    72 GRE TSIMIKALIS Stephanos
    73 MKD RISTEVSKI Antonio
    74 ISR RENZHIN Mykhaylo
    75 BIH RUDIC Marko
    76 LAT ZVEJNIEKS Kristaps
    77 ARG TORRES Agustin
    78 BRA LONGHI Jhonatan
    79 MNE KOSIC Bojan
    80 HUN BENE Marton
    81 EST OPRJA Deyvid
    82 LIB ACHI Ghassan
    83 UKR FESHCHUK Rostyslav
    84 TUR TURKSEVER Erdinc
    85 LTU RUMIANCEV Vitalij
    86 GEO GELASHVILI Jaba
    87 ARM NERSISYAN Arsen
    88 KAZ ZAKURDAEV Igor
    89 IRL O CONNOR Shane
    90 UZB SHAMAEV Oleg
    91 CYP PAPAMICHALOPOULOS Christopher
    92 TJK DRYGIN Andrey
    93 DEN KILSGAARD Markus
    94 AZE NOTZ Cedric
    95 ALBTOLA Erjon
    96 SEN SECK Leyti
    97 PER OETTL REYES Manfred
    98 MAR AZZIMANI Samir
    99 MEX VON HOHENLOHE Hubertus
    100 KGZ TRELEVSKI Dmitry
    101 CHN LI Lei
    102 GHA NKRUMAH-ACHEAMPONG Kwame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Your man from Ghana's a legend!
    "Do you mind being compared to Eddie The Eagle ?"
    "Yes I mind it a lot!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

I saw the snow leopard's run, I reckon Eddie the Eagle with his big boards would have been faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,081 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

that was one of the most farcical things i've ever seen.

that poor Russian, though he's taking it brilliantly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

He did take it very well, although the replay of him falling over the gate was very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Well done to Shane O Connor 46th out of 108 Starters in the Olympic Slalom.

A great result for a home grown Skier

Correction 45th one was Disqualified

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

did anyone see the race for i think it was 5th/6th one racer pulled out as it was pointless and they made the other guy start if he wanted an official place instead of a dns classiffication

he just went threw the gate held onto the wall and took off his board funny stuff

felt bad for the russian pretty unfair but seriously good run from anderson to take it even with the no sound start

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

In the womens snowboard cross, I think it was, there was someone that was injured and just left the gate for the small final and then walked off before the first jump. It was just because of the places counting for world cup points that made it worth ensuring the lower places, not sure if they counted for the PGS so that could be why they didn't even bother turning up at the gate to start.

Good God what is with the bbc show presenter not wearing any make up and a woolly fleece?

Edit: oh i just heard her cough as they cut out - I reckon she has a cold or something. Fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

This mens 50k cross country is a beast of a discipline. Hopefully Lukas Bauer can take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

If you love sport dont miss this !!
    Canada v US in ice hockey final
    Going to be fantastic and brutal, real sport played by hard men.
    Dont miss it, you've been warned :D

On BBC 2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

How come three of the four officials are Canadian?!

Aidric wrote: »
    This mens 50k cross country is a beast of a discipline. Hopefully Lukas Bauer can take it.

I'm guessing he's Jacks long lost brother?

Nah....cousin!

God that puck just stopped dead on the line!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The Ice Hockey final was a bit disappointing until now, glad the USA scored to send it into overtime - might get more interesting.

Although I know less than nothing about Ice Hockey, something feels wrong about watching a 1500m runner, a downhill skier and a rower chat about it.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Although I know less than nothing about Ice Hockey, something feels wrong about watching a 1500m runner, a downhill skier and a rower chat about it.

Very true, you would think The BBC could have found someone who has played a bit of Ice Hockey to drop in.

Almost as odd as having Paula Radcliffe share her thoughts on Curling with us a few nights ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Well done Canada. It's their national sport and I'd say if they were only to get one gold in the whole Olympics, this would be the one they'd have wanted.

What a finish to the games!!!!

I don't think the final could have been scripted any better than the game going to overtime in the last 30 seconds, and then the poster boy of Canadian Ice Hockey steps up for the first time in three games....wow!

Great games, really got into it, shame its only kind of every 4 years its possible to follow all different disciplines in one place!

Congrats to all involved, and thanks for the memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Exciting end to the Ice Hockey. Well done Canada, I thought the States were going to take it after equalising in the dying seconds of the 3rd quarter. Liked the Eurosport commentators, really knew there stuff, even gave a shout out to a few Irish viewers who emailed them.

It looks like Canadas own the podium came true though, 14 golds and 26 in total. The States won the most with 37 (9-15-13) followed by Germany with 30 (10-13-7) and the Canadians 3rd with 14-7-5.

On the whole really enjoyed the Games, highlights for me were the Cross Country, Biathlon, Bobsleigh, Luge and Alpine events. Who was the athlete of the games?

Bjoergen with her 3 golds in Cross Country? Neuner in the Biathlon, Amman with his two golds in the Ski Jumping. Tonnes of great performances. Maybe Madic in the cross country, medaling with broken ribs or the Canadian skater medaling 3 days after her mothers death?

^ Madjic from the cross country gets my vote.

Although special mention for the Canadian skater, and the Georgians for just turning up at the opening.

Shaun White was probably the Star of the Games for me.

He took his Sport to new levels, truely an epic performance.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Meng Wang needs to get a mention there... won everything except the 1,500m in short-track speed skating. Also Peter Northug in cross-country skiing, and that's partly due to the fact that he's absolutely nuts.

A degree of nuttiness is needed for pretty much all sports in the winter games. You don't need to have the same number of loose screws to do most sports in the summer games.

PErhaps Bode Miller deserves mention ?
    robinph wrote: »
    A degree of nuttiness is needed for pretty much all sports in the winter games. You don't need to have the same number of loose screws to do most sports in the summer games.

Lol. Let me at it !! Love to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

does anyone know how/when they will decide if ski cross will be kept?

and does anyone think if it is that it is something countries like us could get decent at? as far as the ski events go i think its structure could definitely allow a country like ours to compete

Advertisement