Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Olympics on TV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I'm impressed by Rhona Martin and Steve Cram's commentary on the Curling on BBC2.

Rhona obviously knows her stuff, she won a Gold Medal in 2000, and she explains the technical stuff nicely in accesible language so that the armchair 'once every 4 years' viewer can follow what's going on.

Steve Cram must have done some serious research on Curling because he sounds (to me anyway) like an expert. I've only heard him commentate on Athletics before now, he is displaying previously hidden talents.

Unlike some of the BBC commentators, he keeps an objective tone on the British competitors. He's not afraid to call it when someone messes up a shot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Agree with that, Cram does seem to have converted to commentary pretty well and sounds well able to cover sports you'd not expect him to. Middle distance running is not an obvious preparation for Curling commentary.

It doesn't take much for anyone to be better than so Ohh, Ahh, Eeek, Sorry I Was Looking Out The Window woman who was doing the snowbarding. I guess we'll have her back for the skier cross tomorrow though. :(

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

couple of nasty crashes in the 2 man bobsleigh. Bit unluck for GB that because one of them came flying out of the sled they are out and can't run again. Liechtenstein get to go again as they went down on their side and crossed the line together. Wonder did their crash mess up the track for the GBers one run later..

copacetic wrote: »
    couple of nasty crashes in the 2 man bobsleigh. Bit unluck for GB that because one of them came flying out of the sled they are out and can't run again. Liechtenstein get to go again as they went down on their side and crossed the line together. Wonder did their crash mess up the track for the GBers one run later..

I saw that, It looks like no-body was seriously hurt, thankfully

Just glad the Skeleton events have been completed without any more casualties. One of the BBC commentators went down it on a Skeleton with a helmet camera. My stomach was churning just watching it, had to switch it off.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

SkidMark wrote: »
    One of the BBC commentators went down it on a Skeleton with a helmet camera. My stomach was churning just watching it, had to switch it off.
    Ditto, stomach-turning stuff! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Where can i get video highlights of the days events?
    Seems most sites only allow pictures, or non-event videos, like interviews.

Sorry i meant Online.
    I don't own a tely.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

robinph wrote: »
    Getting confused with all the different names of the alpine events. The easy ones are:

Downhill = straight line it, turning is for chickens
    Slalom = short run with a bunch of sticks in the way to hit you in the face

But what order do the GS and Super G fit in between those two as far as speed/ turns they stick in the course?
    Super G is the faster of the two and has fewer, less sharp turns, basically a twistier version of the downhill. GS is a large scale version of the normal slalom, slower by quite a margin than Super G, but faster and more spread out than slalom.

So in decreasing order of speed, and increasing order of twistiness, it's :

Downhill
    Super G
    GS
    Slalom

Agree with that, Cram does seem to have converted to commentary pretty well and sounds well able to cover sports you'd not expect him to. Middle distance running is not an obvious preparation for Curling commentary.

It doesn't take much for anyone to be better than so Ohh, Ahh, Eeek, Sorry I Was Looking Out The Window woman who was doing the snowbarding. I guess we'll have her back for the skier cross tomorrow though. :(

Someone in the BBC had a bit of sense and replaced her with Graham Bell :p

This skier cross is another winner, Enjoying it so far.

Fast, dangerous, unpredictable - The only thing this Sport needs is a James Bond style parachute finish (Edit, Can't see the IOC agreeing to letting the athletes have guns, unfortunately!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

The Mens Ski Cross is very very good !!! Takes some balls to ski that close at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

The Mens Ski Cross is very very good !!! Takes some balls to ski that close at speed.

Fantastic !!
    Would watch that all day :D:D

Next up Canada v US in the Hockey, real grudge match :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

keving wrote: »
    Fantastic !!
    Would watch that all day :D:D

Next up Canada v US in the Hockey, real grudge match :D

Yes, I think the Canadians would give up every medal to win the Gold in the Hockey. Really looking forward to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Ski Cross was epic! Mens super combined was amazin Bode showing what a great all round skier he is and to top it off Canada - V - USA tonight Go Canada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

i like making snow men

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Sorry i meant Online.
    I don't own a tely.
    Yeah I have that same issue, and the EBU site won't work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Wow, what a great game between the US and Canada! Brilliant performance by the Americans; I don't think anyone actually expected them to win. The last time the US beat the Canadians in an Olympic hockey match was 1960. Well done, boys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

And another fan of ski cross here, I found it the most enjoyable event to watch so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Not the biggest fan of ski cross tbh. The men's super combined was exciting stuff last night. Bode Miller put in a stunning balls out performance in the slalom to take the gold, he's had a stellar games. Even if Svindal had stayed on course I don't think he would have snatched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Wow the ski cross was top stuff, carnage from the word go. Brilliant final, Chris delbosco is an absolute lunatic. He went for it big time and ended up crashing out head first in a ball of arms, legs, skis and ski poles. Brilliant. And his back story makes him even more interesting. Thrown off the American squad for getting locked and smoking weed. He's been in jail for DUI and he fell down a revine and broke 2 of the veterbrae in his back, out of his box on booze and grass at the time. He didnt leave anything on the table and just went for it, couldve had a bronze had he played it safe. But you tell by him that it was gold or nothing. Legend.

Delighted for Bode Miller. I really liked his reaction when he won.........No reaction at all, just gracefully shook hands with his opponents and walked off. No jumping around shouting like a dope. Class all the way.
    Best bit of it all and a highlight of the whole olympics so far is the bloke employed by the US ski squad whos sole job it is to just shout at the american skiers at the starting gate. I think his name is Hughie and he really lost the plot encouraging Bode miller last night. Come on bode miller!! COME ON BODE MILLER!!!! Brilliant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That shouting guy is cool. Delighted that Bode finally got his gold, and in the combined is the appropriate event for him.

No beeb2 program again this evening, and I sacrificed staying up to watch the bob and ice hokey last night because I had to be up and sane this morning, then that reason was cancelled. :(

When is the next bit of skier cross on? Thought that may have been today, but cannot see it in the coverage tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

tunguska wrote: »
    Best bit of it all and a highlight of the whole olympics so far is the bloke employed by the US ski squad whos sole job it is to just shout at the american skiers at the starting gate. I think his name is Hughie and he really lost the plot encouraging Bode miller last night. Come on bode miller!! COME ON BODE MILLER!!!! Brilliant.

:eek:.....whadda ??? .......this is a job ????? why did my career councillor mention this ??????

• Advertisement

That shouting guy is cool. Delighted that Bode finally got his gold, and in the combined is the appropriate event for him.

No beeb2 program again this evening, and I sacrificed staying up to watch the bob and ice hokey last night because I had to be up and sane this morning, then that reason was cancelled. :(

When is the next bit of skier cross on? Thought that may have been today, but cannot see it in the coverage tonight.

Womens Ski cross is on BBC2 tomorrow night(tuesday 23rd)at 9pm. Id say it'll be even more demolition derby than then mens. Just hope Hughie is there, although I dont think he's allowed to shout at the women.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Despite what the BBC says that is not Hughies only Job he is a coach with the US team and does do other things although his voice is probably his best talent

Regulary heard being shouted at various racers in the start gate at the club races in Kilternan

The Danish Women Curlers are on Eurosport at the moment, couple of sisters in the team by the looks of it as well. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

This Winter Olympics has been the first time I've made real use of the red button. It's the perfect platform for an Olympic Games and to the BBC's credit their coverage has been routinely excellent.

It was funny listening to the commentators trying to pronounce 'Andreas ****''s name during the team Ski-Jumping.

Congratulations to Herr ****, who won a Silver medal for Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

The Skip for GB Womens Curling last night....pwarr!!!

I give you Eve Muirhead....
    muirhead_585_688393a.jpg

....only 19!

kmart6 wrote: »
    The Skip for GB Womens Curling last night....pwarr!!!

I give you Eve Muirhead....
    muirhead_585_688393a.jpg

....only 19!

Shes Ok. No Lindsey Vonn though........

SI%20Vonn.jpg

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

SkidMark wrote: »
    It was funny listening to the commentators trying to pronounce 'Andreas ****''s name during the team Ski-Jumping.

Congratulations to Herr ****, who won a Silver medal for Germany.

Good ol' Andy ****, did better than the Austrian luger Manuel Pfister. :pac:

Tonight it's the womens bobsled:

That is the British team who are currently ranked no1, the Irish team are also in action tonight despite the protests from the Aussies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

tunguska wrote: »
    Shes Ok. No Lindsey Vonn though........

Yeah....but you expect the Americans to be decent looking....this one's Scottish for crying out loud....makes her ten times better!!

Advertisement