Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Olympics on TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

they were showing 'eggheads' instead of the downhill leg of super combined....just shows their commitment to coverage! If you don't have eurosport you're stuck with live streams on http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/olympics/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They should really have done the womens halfpipe the day before the mens, it just looks so tame compared to what they were showing yesterday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A big lead for the UK skeleton slider Amy Williams at half way through that event, well big in that 0.3 is the largest gap between any of the sliders in the top of the table. New track records ahead of the Canadians in the process as well. A couple more safe slides this evening and that should be a medal, hopefully Gold. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Just watching some skeleton right now.
    oh my god are these people insane ????? What would posess anyone to do this sport?

I mean the clue is in the name ffs!!!!! THey are sliding on a tea tray at 80mph inches from the ground!! If you come acropper the closest part of you to the ground is your chin!!!

The lot of them should under go psych eval!!!

They definately have a screw or three loose. I was looking for something about the protest the US made about the UK sliders helmet earlier and came across an article about the designs they all get painted on their lids. The Irish chap has a picture of the Grim Reaper aparently after he survived a major crash last year I think it was. Can't link as i'm on the phone right now but think it was a US news article.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    They definately have a screw or three loose. I was looking for something about the protest the US made about the UK sliders helmet earlier and came across an article about the designs they all get painted on their lids. The Irish chap has a picture of the Grim Reaper aparently after he survived a major crash last year I think it was. Can't link as i'm on the phone right now but think it was a US news article.

haha thats just taunting Death now isn't it ?

Why are the Brits so good at this sport ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

robinph wrote: »
    They should really have done the womens halfpipe the day before the mens, it just looks so tame compared to what they were showing yesterday.

Shaun White was amazing in the halfpipe. I have watched this sport before and dismissed it as a bit of a holiday activity, but not any more.

Some of those moves White pulled were amazing athletic feats, as good as any gymnastics floor routines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

What is the story with the BBC not showing the womens downhill event? Did I miss something and they did actually show it? Im loving the other events but I was looking forward to the skiing most of all.

And shes back! Miss Monotone, the commentator who doesnt actually commentate. She was commentating on the half pipe the other night. It was hilarious, Ed leigh sounded like he was about to have a heart attack with the excitment and she was her usual comatose self. Although afterwards the camera showed her and Ed talking(mostly Ed)and she actually pretty Hot. So That kind of excuses the bad commentry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

tunguska wrote: »
    What is the story with the BBC not showing the womens downhill event? Did I miss something and they did actually show it? Im loving the other events but I was looking forward to the skiing most of all.

And shes back! Miss Monotone, the commentator who doesnt actually commentate. She was commentating on the half pipe the other night. It was hilarious, Ed leigh sounded like he was about to have a heart attack with the excitment and she was her usual comatose self. Although afterwards the camera showed her and Ed talking(mostly Ed)and she actually pretty Hot. So That kind of excuses the bad commentry.

mmmmm....yea...oh what, I was just looking out the window...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

i like snow!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Exciting mens super-g at the moment. Miller fancied he had the gold I reckon, some ski from Svindal to snatch it.

Aidric wrote: »
    Exciting mens super-g-string at the moment. Miller fancied the other men i reckon, some tong on Svindal.

wtf?

haha thats just taunting Death now isn't it ?

Why are the Brits so good at this sport ?

I think they were the crazy people who initially came up with the idea of making a sport out of sliding down a mountain on a tray in St. Moritz. I do remember something about them having a start training track in Bath, but there is more to it than just the start so not sure how they get to be so consitantly near the top overall.

After the first 3 sliders down on the third run and the gold could already be in the bag. :D
    Track record on Amy Williams 1st run and then another on the 3rd run, nobody else even coming close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Holy sweet mother of God :eek:
    I've never seen the skeleton before.
    They all clearly have a death wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

melissa hoar is fairly hot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Gold for Amy Williams in the skeleton. Well deserved, she led from pillar to post and no-one seriously threatened her.

First GB Gold in 30 years, they must be pleased with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

skeleton, 160km/hr+.... on a tea tray.... head first....

:eek:

well done amy, rather you than me

SkidMark wrote: »
    Gold for Amy Williams in the skeleton. Well deserved, she led from pillar to post and no-one seriously threatened her.

First individual gold in 30 years, they have had curling and pairs ice dancing inbetween. They have only had golds on ice rinks indoors before though so the first outdoors winter gold for them.

Sursprised how much of a lead she had all the way through. The places behind were all a lot closer and all changed around in the last slide.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭RocketRonnie

SkidMark wrote: »

Yea, fair play to her... really enjoyed it, she'd get one aswell!!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Where can i get video highlights of the days events?
    Seems most sites only allow pictures, or non-event videos, like interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Where can i get video highlights of the days events?
    Seems most sites only allow pictures, or non-event videos, like interviews.

Today at 12pm on BBC2. Highlights from yesterday.

Just watching some womens curling (yes I'm tht bored). Anyhow, what is with all the pron-style peri-orgasmic shouting ??? Are they attempting to sex up curling ???

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Are they attempting to sex up curling ???
    privivkova.jpg

Not just attempting, succeeding!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭RocketRonnie

privivkova.jpg

Not just attempting, succeeding!

What a sport, British skip not to bad either!!

p102friday_585x350_655195a.jpg

Just watching some womens curling (yes I'm tht bored). Anyhow, what is with all the pron-style peri-orgasmic shouting ??? Are they attempting to sex up curling ???

Hey back off man!! Curling is the greatest(&most pointless sport) in the entire world!!

Noone really gets the point in it but you can watch it for ages in a trance like state!!

I heard that Calsberg made it.... cause its the best sport in the world!!!

wooooooo woooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Curling is awsome spent every night last March watching the Briar while skiing in Canada. The winners are now representing Canada in the olympics

Womens GS was amazing today with some incredible skiing

Ski Cross tomorrow oh yeah bring the NOISE

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Hornd

Super G even!

Getting confused with all the different names of the alpine events. The easy ones are:

Downhill = straight line it, turning is for chickens
    Slalom = short run with a bunch of sticks in the way to hit you in the face

But what order do the GS and Super G fit inbetween those two as far as speed/ turns they stick in the course?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Isn't Super-G closer to downhill, and GS is tighter and more technical but not as tight as slalom?

Advertisement