Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Olympics on TV

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Think someone asked a page or so back about the speed differnce between the boarders and skiiers on the cross course:
    Boarders Qualifying times
    Skiers Qualifying Times

The course is aparently a Boarder Cross one though as a specific Skiier Cross course would have a different profile to the jumps etc from what they were saying the other day in the commentary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The women look to be struggeling with getting enough speed for clearing the jumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

what time are the irish girls on tv?

what time are the irish girls on tv?

The bob starts at 1am I think they said on the last link segment on Beeb2. They run in order of world ranking on the first day so will be GB first and the Irish will be right near the end, then a short time later (30mins?) the second run will start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

tunguska wrote: »
    Shes Ok. No Lindsey Vonn though........

In fairness Vonn is not that amazing looking. Too much American teeth if you as me.

I will say this. Skiiercross is f**king awesome. I wanna try it!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Wouldn't mind seeing the Bobsleigh later because Aoife is from my hometown, but really need to sleep tonight...too much college work:(

Christ - jsut saw the last few runs of mens' GS. Carlo Janka is bloody amazing. Technique is unreal - just seems a league better than everyone else.

Why are the blue jacketed officials handing the skier crossers advertising skis when they cross the line? It's pretty normal to hold your skis up to get a bit of TV time for your sponsor when you cross the line in skiing, but the officials seem to be taking their skis off them, and then handing them another single ski from a different manufacturer to hold up for the cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

hey the women's bobsleigh is on. when's the irish birds up?

scratch that. just went in 1st heat; 55.04. not good

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Star Bingo wrote: »
    hey the women's bobsleigh is on. when's the irish birds up?
    They were just on, they're in last place. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

yeah, got it. just edited ;-

They were just on, they're in last place. :(

I thought the Irish bob had a cleaner run than both the Aussies and Japan teams, they lost it in the start I think. The driver seemed to load a lot sooner than any of the others were doing. Think they said she was the tallest in the competition, so surely should be using more of that to their advantage in the start rather than hopping in early.

The Japanese team were very lucky not to crash as well, the driver disappeared from view for a turn as she thought they were about to go over, but they are only tiny so much harder for them to push start a heavier sled.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Unfortunately, latter stages of second run and the IRL1 team did not run when other teams around them have already gone.

Both BBC and Vancouver2010 don't have the 2nd run time at the moment for IRL1.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Aoife Hoey and Claire Bergin went last after the front-runners. they improved .55 secs on their first run. An amazing improvement and have already gone above the Russia2 team.

They have reason to improve again as they are only .02 secs behind their nemesis AUS1.

Vancouver 2010
    http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-bobsleigh-schedule-results/
    (Bobsleigh women Feb 23 Heat 1 and Heat 2)
    Heat 3 and Heat 4 to be run Feb. 24

BBC Winter Olympics, Bobsleigh start list
    http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-bobsleigh-schedule-results/

I thought they had missed the Irish bob on the Beeb coverage as well, but they had their run at 21st, after the Canadians who were rank 1 going 20th. It's down to the Aussies being the extra team but they only do the fastest 20 teams in reverse order, then the teams from 21st on, but becasue there should only have been 20 teams anyway the 21st team is out on their own at the end.

The Irish team have moved up a place to 20th ahead of the Russians after the second run. They definately have a chance to top the Aussies, and the Japanese if they have a really good run. Their second run was quicker than both of the Japanese and Aussie teams runs, they just lost a lot of time on run 1.

robinph wrote: »
    Why are the blue jacketed officials handing the skier crossers advertising skis when they cross the line? It's pretty normal to hold your skis up to get a bit of TV time for your sponsor when you cross the line in skiing, but the officials seem to be taking their skis off them, and then handing them another single ski from a different manufacturer to hold up for the cameras.

Didn't notice this but i did notice one of those guys bitching out one of theskiiers for moving from the line they stand in when they were waiting along time for a result. I thought it was bad form actually to be bitching out the athletes.
    I thought the Irish bob had a cleaner run than both the Aussies and Japan teams, they lost it in the start I think. The driver seemed to load a lot sooner than any of the others were doing. Think they said she was the tallest in the competition, so surely should be using more of that to their advantage in the start rather than hopping in early.

Really? I thought they stayed out much longer!

Strange thing about the running order ? Surely going last is disadvantageous to the Irish girls ?

Edit: when are the Irish Alpine competitors going ?

Didn't notice this but i did notice one of those guys bitching out one of theskiiers for moving from the line they stand in when they were waiting along time for a result. I thought it was bad form actually to be bitching out the athletes.

They were a lot more regimented in the finish are for the skiers than they had been for the boarders for some reason. All the skiiers made to stand in a line holding sponsors skis up, the boarders just got to the finish and went "woop" then walked off.
    Really? I thought they stayed out much longer!

Strange thing about the running order ? Surely going last is disadvantageous to the Irish girls ?

It was very am when watching it so I guess my perception was a bit dodgy at the time. Seems they were not quite as slow at the start as I first thought though:
    Run 1 split times

As fort the start order, they always go in revers ranked order on the later runs which means that the no1 ranked team goes last and potentially has the worst conditions. Because there is an extra team though it would be unfair on the no1 team to have had 20 teams use the ice before them rather than the normal 19, so the 21st team goes after 1st.

They do the same with the various skiing events as well so that the top people get a fairer run with 30th-1st place going first followed by 31st-??th who are well out of contention by then anyway.
    Edit: when are the Irish Alpine competitors going ?
    Womens GS starts at 6pm today which I think Ireland has the one entrant in if I'm remembering correctly which ones she's doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Just got this from the wall street journal.Typical yanks i guess.Just shows that it is a bigger world out there.
    Not much of a mystery to me anyway lol.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704188104575084093472505542.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines

Anyway not the best olympics for Norway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Good ol' Andy ****, did better than the Austrian luger Manuel Pfister. :pac:

I thought you were making that name up!

Manuel Pfister came 10th in the Luge. Maybe **** and Pfister should get together and ..... nah maybe not!

^ That article seems a bit bitter from the Americans, how dare a country with a lot of snow beat us in snow based events. :mad:

They should maybe have written about Netherlands doing so well in the speed skating events, or the UK in the skeleton over the years.

• Advertisement

There were two Pfisters in the Luge.

Couldnt agree more.

No Norwegian lived here since 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

^ That article seems a bit bitter from the Americans, how dare a country with a lot of snow beat us in snow based events. :mad:

They should maybe have written about Netherlands doing so well in the speed skating events, or the UK in the skeleton over the years.

I didn't get that at all from the article. They seemed to be celebrating Norwegian achievement in the Winter Olympics and explained some of the factors that go into that achievement. It reminds me of gymnastics. During the 1970's and 80's, women's gymnastics was dominated by the Soviet Union, and the only country that could challenge them was Romania, a tiny country by comparison, with far fewer resources.

It's easy for countries like the US, China, Russia to be dominate in the Olympics because they have huge populations and lots of resources. But when a smaller country maintains that same dominance, it's far more interesting because the reasons for their success go far beyond how many people and how much money they funnel into sports.

At least, that's how I interpreted it. :)

?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

?

+1

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Womens Ski cross was brilliant, apparently there were some serious crowds out for it yesterday and the whole place in general has gone ski cross mad. It is an exciting event but not for the faint of heart. That poor russian girl in the first heat came down badly, they reckon she did her ACL. Funniest moment of all though was when in a quater final one of the girls who had stalled at the first wu-tang tried to catch up with the other two and came flying over the last hill and crashed in spectacular fashion. Actually crashed and fell over the finishing line and proceeded to entertain the crowd by doing a starfish. Top class.

Womens Giant slalom tonight at 9pm. Hopefully Hughie will be there.

I think that was in relation to a previous post about the Pfister brothers and the luge, which came after another post about a Herr **** in the ski jumping.

• Advertisement

I think that was in relation to a previous post about the Pfister brothers and the luge, which came after another post about a Herr **** in the ski jumping.

Yeah i see it now lol sorry about that just new to this:)

Advertisement