Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Olympics on TV

Options
  • 06-02-2010 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Just wondering if anybody knows if the winter olympics will be shown on terestrial television? I know RTE wont so forget about that, but what about the BBC? Even a highlights show at night? Love the winter Olympics but I dont have digital TV so I fear I may miss out, got a bad feeling its all gonna be on eurosport.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

BBC are saying they'll have full coverage but best bet will probably be eurosport. Checked the RTE website and it doesn't mention any vancouver coverage...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

RTE and Eurosport are showoing everything! All the main Alpine events will be on between 6-9 Irish time which is awsome!

Bobsled and Freestyle Events will be on allot later as they are on at approx 9 Canada Time.

RTE Have the rights to show it and they did some coverage of Turin so we can live in hope

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

Thats great if RTE are showing them, b

Like the OP I'm in the same boat but I signed up to Europsports online service. It'll set you back €4.90 for a month and its 24/7 coverage!

Good news on RTE coverage, was considering upgrading upc so I have eurosport on the digibox for late night events but might stick with rte and bbc now....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Wow!! I am absolutley stunned RTE are showing any of the winter olympics. Truly shocking stuff. I suppose the fact that we have a few athletes competing has made RTE take a little notice. Im so looking forward to this, I become a complete winter olympics nut job though, staying up til all hours, even watching feckin' curling.

• Advertisement

its amazing what you end up watching....i've become strangely addicted to Biathlon

its amazing what you end up watching....i've become strangely addicted to Biathlon

Yeah the Biathlon is mesmirizing stuff alright. Although whoever came up with the idea of combining cross country skiing and shooting is either a complete genius or a certified lunatic.
    My peronal favoutrite event is cross country skiing. Apparently cross country skiers are the fittest athletes in the world. Well it'd be more accurate to say that they have the highest Vo2max values.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

staying up til all hours, even watching feckin' curling.

Was skiing for a month in Canda last year while the Tum Hortons Briar was on in Calgary. Was hooked on the Curling and have no idea why even found myself shouting at the TV when they where brushing the stones

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Here is a listing of search results for what the Beeb will be showing, it only searches two'ish weeks in advance though so it's not quite complete for the duration:
    Radiotimes Search

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

tunguska wrote: »
    Wow!! I am absolutley stunned RTE are showing any of the winter olympics. Truly shocking stuff. I suppose the fact that we have a few athletes competing has made RTE take a little notice. Im so looking forward to this, I become a complete winter olympics nut job though, staying up til all hours, even watching feckin' curling.
    More to do with the fact that rights to Olympics are bought in bundles I'd say!

• Advertisement

Anybody catch Michael Johnson's piece on ski jumpers last night on the bbc? Was great stuff. Those lads are brave as hell, also a bit crazy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Damn it, I forgot that it was on. :(

robinph wrote: »
    Damn it, I forgot that it was on. :(

Hate to rub it in, but it was top stuff. Absolutely fascinating characters, worthy of a pyschological study all by themselves. Well worth trying to get your hands on that documentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭hk797

If you enjoy the Winter Olympics checkout a recently released movie on iTunes called Truth in Motion. It follows the US ski teams buildup to Vancouver. Runtime is 43 mins with a regular (628mb) and HD (1.38gb) download for free.

Hate to rub it in, but it was top stuff. Absolutely fascinating characters, worthy of a pyschological study all by themselves. Well worth trying to get your hands on that documentary.

My usual source for getting the UK TV programs I've missed doesn't seem to have this up, iPlayer doesn't have it either for some reason if I were able to get that, but it does look like they will be showing it again nest Saturday at 1pm:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qtrjv

I'll be out racing at that time though. :(

Just found this schedule on the Irish Olympic Council web page which give the Vancouver times and dates for when the various Irish competitors should be in action:

Irish Teams Schedule

Those times are 8(?) hours behing GMT.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

hk797 wrote: »
    If you enjoy the Winter Olympics checkout a recently released movie on iTunes called Truth in Motion. It follows the US ski teams buildup to Vancouver. Runtime is 43 mins with a regular (628mb) and HD (1.38gb) download for free.

How did you get that to work? I cant seem to download movies from my itunes.

Just managed to find a copy of this and it is definately worth a watch. Was thinking it may be good viewing for people who answered "no" in the helmet threads, but there was a few too many helmets popping off in the crashes they showed. :D

It's on BBC 1 again on Saturday at 1pm. Shame we didn't get to see Michael Johnson actually skiing in it though, maybe he just crashed himself but he did look terrified at the top of the run that Bell brought him to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭hk797

How did you get that to work? I cant seem to download movies from my itunes.

Downloaded it without a problem while skiing in US. Trailer and clips on YouTube here.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

hk797 wrote: »
    Downloaded it without a problem while skiing in US. Trailer and clips on YouTube here.
    ah ok- itunes is restricted in Ireland. Will keep looking to see if i can get it.

• Advertisement

Just found this schedule on the Irish Olympic Council web page which give the Vancouver times and dates for when the various Irish competitors should be in action:

Irish Teams Schedule

Those times are 8(?) hours behing GMT.

Great stuff Robin. So are they 8 hrs behind or ahead of us? Sorry Im not great at deciphering the old time zones. So if somebody is going at 18:00 does this mean they'll be on at 2am or 10am our time?

Great stuff Robin. So are they 8 hrs behind or ahead of us? Sorry Im not great at deciphering the old time zones. So if somebody is going at 18:00 does this mean they'll be on at 2am or 10am our time?

They are behind us, but add 8 hours to those times to get the time to tune in over here. For 18:00 on a Friday you'll need to tune in at 2am on the Saturday.

They are behind us, but add 8 hours to those times to get the time to tune in over here. For 18:00 on a Friday you'll need to tune in at 2am on the Saturday.

Perfect. It may be strange but I prefer watching big events like the olympics in the middle of the night. This probably comes from the time when I was 9yrs old and being allowed stay up to watch John Treacy win a silver medal at the 1984 summer olympics. Amazing night.

I think I've got this list right with changing to GMT for the times that we'd need to tune in to watch.

13/2
    01:45 - Opening Ceremony
    15/2
    20:30 - PJ Cross Country
    19/2
    02:30 - Pat Skeleton 1st
    03:45 - Pat Skeleton 2nd
    20/2
    02:20 - Pat Skeleton
    03:30 - Pat Skeleton
    18:00 - Kirsty Super G
    24/20
    01:00 - Aofie & Claire Bob 1st
    02:00 - Aofie & Claire Bob 2nd*
    18:00 - Kirsty GS 1st
    21:15 - Kirsty GS 2nd
    25/2
    01:00 - Aofie & Claire Bob 3rd*
    02:00 - Aofie & Claire Bob 4th
    26/2
    18:00 - Kirsty Slalom 1st
    21:15 - Kirsty Slalom 2nd
    27/2
    18:00 - Shane Slalom 1st
    21:45 - Shane Slalom 2nd
    1/3
    ??:?? - Closing Ceremony **

* Not the same times as on the OCI page, but I think they got the spreadsheet out of order.
    ** Cannot find the actual program time for this yet, but will be very AM I suspect.

As far ahead as I can look in the BBC schedules they will be having a "live" program on during the evening when a lot of the 1st runs of some events are taking place, some days they may not still be on during the 2nd runs though. Their Red buttons will more than likely cover those times. Eurosport will no doubt be covering stuff all the time, but no telling what they will have on. I cannot find anything in the RTE schedules about their coverage.

All the bob and skeleton runs will almost certainly be covered live on the BBC as they have competitive entrants in all(?) of those events, just if they keep the coverage running long enough to see the Irish teams as well as they may switch to things like the skating instead which I think are on around the same times.

I think I've got this list right with changing to GMT for the times that we'd need to tune in to watch.

13/2
    01:45 - Opening Ceremony
    15/2
    20:30 - PJ Cross Country
    19/2
    02:30 - Pat Skeleton 1st
    03:45 - Pat Skeleton 2nd
    20/2
    02:20 - Pat Skeleton
    03:30 - Pat Skeleton
    18:00 - Kirsty Super G
    24/20
    01:00 - Aofie & Claire Bob 1st
    02:00 - Aofie & Claire Bob 2nd*
    18:00 - Kirsty GS 1st
    21:15 - Kirsty GS 2nd
    25/2
    01:00 - Aofie & Claire Bob 3rd*
    02:00 - Aofie & Claire Bob 4th
    26/2
    18:00 - Kirsty Slalom 1st
    21:15 - Kirsty Slalom 2nd
    27/2
    18:00 - Shane Slalom 1st
    21:45 - Shane Slalom 2nd
    1/3
    ??:?? - Closing Ceremony **

* Not the same times as on the OCI page, but I think they got the spreadsheet out of order.
    ** Cannot find the actual program time for this yet, but will be very AM I suspect.

As far ahead as I can look in the BBC schedules they will be having a "live" program on during the evening when a lot of the 1st runs of some events are taking place, some days they may not still be on during the 2nd runs though. Their Red buttons will more than likely cover those times. Eurosport will no doubt be covering stuff all the time, but no telling what they will have on. I cannot find anything in the RTE schedules about their coverage.

All the bob and skeleton runs will almost certainly be covered live on the BBC as they have competitive entrants in all(?) of those events, just if they keep the coverage running long enough to see the Irish teams as well as they may switch to things like the skating instead which I think are on around the same times.

Wow! Cheers Robin, that'll make things a lot handier. Yeah I couldnt find anything on RTEs schedules either. To be honest, Id rather watch it on the BBC, classier outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,996 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Here is the BBC interactive schedule if you can get it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/bsp/hi/winter_olympics_2010/epg/html/epg.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

I Don't see any listings on my sky box for RTE it just has Euronews through the night for the whole of next week is it deffo on RTE? I've only got a set of ears in the TV upstairs so was hoping to watch it in bed (the missus would sleep through an earthquake so its happy days )

I Don't see any listings on my sky box for RTE it just has Euronews through the night for the whole of next week is it deffo on RTE? I've only got a set of ears in the TV upstairs so was hoping to watch it in bed (the missus would sleep through an earthquake so its happy days )

Yeah I didnt see any listings for RTE either. Im afraid you'll have to watch it downstairs Raptor.
    Cant wait, opening ceremony tonight. Get in there!!!! And then the rugger tomorrow. And the FA cup. My God this is what its all about, a glorious orgy of sport to fill the weekend.

The unfeasibly skinng and young looking chaps are about to throw themselves off the normal hill in the ski jump qualifying. Eurosport and BBC2 red button.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 fergalmejergal

Anybody got any links to watch this online ?

Advertisement