Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Olympics on TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

This is how I have been watching so far... http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/olympics/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

opps, just seen this, mods you can merge my new thread with this if you wish

:o

was going to say http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/olympics/ as well

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Fair play to Georgia for turing up for the opening ceremony there.

Also just remembered that the entire Columbia winter team, of one, was hanging out in Queesntown when I was there during the summer/ winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

robinph wrote: »
    Fair play to Georgia for turing up for the opening ceremony there.

+1. Fair play to them.

Im not one for opening ceremonies but that was pretty spectacular. The whole stadium was lit up amazinlgy. And you could just feel the atmosphere, could only imagine what it was like to have been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Does anyone know with Eurosports online if you can watch the events at a later time or if you have to watch them live. Would really love to watch the aerial skiing and ice skating but don't really want to stay up till all hours.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I was pretty impressed with the floor and the way they did the display onto it, and then all sorts of thing coming up out of the stage as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

The Irish team jackets were really nice, anyone know if replicas are available anywhere?

Forgot what a good singer KD Lang was....loved the killer whale bit too!

....loved the killer whale bit too!
    Yeah, the killer whale thing was cool, and when they had the ice bergs breacking up and the people jumping between them. I'm easily impressed at that hour in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

tunguska wrote: »
    I suppose the fact that we have a few athletes competing has made RTE take a little notice.
    We have the League of Ireland going on every year and they had to be blackmailed into showing it by the FAI.

Glad it's being shown, I don't have Eurosport, but I used to watch winter sports all the time years ago when I did.

Watch the short track speedskating if you get the chance. Great sport to watch, lots of pushing and falling over on a very short, and very busy track. As for the team realy on the short track that adds in another level of confusion with twelve(?) skaters on the track at a time and intentional pushing between teammates for the hand over. No idea what was going on, but looked good.

• Advertisement

In one of the Beeb "guide to..." segment they said that Luge was the fastest of the sliding events. How is the Skeleton not quicker than Luge though as a running start should surely be faster than pushing off a bar and some spiked gloves?

Cant say that I'm overly keen on any of the judged events, although the ski jumping and moguls and pipe type things do look very impressive they don't quite fit the Citius, Altius, Fortius.

Was good watching the Mens Moguls yesterday though, and was much more impressive than the Womens event. Couldn't get my head round some of the scoring in the womens event, the US woman who won did look the best to me, but the Canadian in Silver didn't even seem to be the best Canadian, but it's a judged event so no telling how they figure these things out.

Delighted that Canada got their first Gold on home soil though and that guy did look to have the best run to me, and was glad that Dale Begg Smith didn't win after I read a bit on where he made his millions out of dodgy internet dealings...allegedly.

Canada Post are quick off the mark with a new stamp being issued today to commemorate their Gold medal:
    http://www.ctvolympics.ca/freestyle-skiing/news/newsid=42077.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

The Moguls last night was unreal....had never really watched it before, and couldn't get over the pace and movement in it!!!

There was a very fine line between them putting in loads of very quick turns and just straightlining it and falling over. Apart from in the slo mo's I'd not really have been able to tell the difference, but the BBC commentator seemed to just say that everyone was putting in great turns regardless of how they were actually doing. :D

13/2
    01:45 - Opening Ceremony
    15/2
    20:30 - PJ Cross Country
    19/2
    02:30 - Pat Skeleton 1st
    03:45 - Pat Skeleton 2nd
    20/2
    02:20 - Pat Skeleton
    03:30 - Pat Skeleton
    18:00 - Kirsty Super G
    24/20
    01:00 - Aofie & Claire Bob 1st
    02:00 - Aofie & Claire Bob 2nd*
    18:00 - Kirsty GS 1st
    21:15 - Kirsty GS 2nd
    25/2
    01:00 - Aofie & Claire Bob 3rd*
    02:00 - Aofie & Claire Bob 4th
    26/2
    18:00 - Kirsty Slalom 1st
    21:15 - Kirsty Slalom 2nd
    27/2
    18:00 - Shane Slalom 1st
    21:45 - Shane Slalom 2nd
    1/3
    ??:?? - Closing Ceremony **

* Not the same times as on the OCI page, but I think they got the spreadsheet out of order.
    ** Cannot find the actual program time for this yet, but will be very AM I suspect.

15/2
    20:30 - PJ Cross Country

No programs look to be on BBC2 during this, although they may well have it if you have the RED button. BBC3 will be showing Snowboard Cross at the time.

Eurosport is the channel you'll want this evening:
    Radiotimes wrote:
    Live Winter Olympic Cross-Country Skiing

Monday 15 February
    8:30pm - 10:00pm
    Eurosport

Coverage from the 2010 Winter Olympics from Vancouver, featuring action from the 15km individual event.

Loving it so far. The mens Luge was great stuff altogether. A bit of a downer at the start though due to that poor Georgian lad losing his life. But bit by bit I got into it. Theyre absolute lunatics, brave as hell. Was a great competition. That guy loch is a beast, only 20 years old and he comes away with a gold medal in a sport where experience is usually the deciding factor. Takes years to learn how to read the ice apparently but this guy has been sliding since he was 3!

The womens mogul was brilliant entertainment, felt really sorry for that Canadian girl who was pipped at the post by the american.

The highlight of the weekend had to be the womens 3000m relay speed skating. Now when it comes to sports Im most defintely a purist and I get pissed off when female friends of mine only watch rugby to look at the lads. Absolute disgrace. Anyway I sat down to watch the womens relay with the purist of intentions, to watch a sporting spectacle and nothing more. However Im afraid all that changed on saturday night/sunday morning. The first thing I noticed was that there were a few real lookers in the bunch. Then I noticed the skin tight lycra. Then to seal the deal, they started touching each others butts. Obviously it was a bloke who came up with this particular spin on the sport.........This should come with a fire warning becasue the womens relay speed skating is hot stuff!! A cheap thrill on a saturday night.

Really enjoying the whole thing so far and the downhill stuff hasnt even started yet. Ice hockey tomorrow night which by all accounts will be something to see.
    Absolutley knackered, staying up to 5:00am every night........worth it though.

+1 on the womens relay speed skating. Didn't have a clue what was going on, but that hardly matters.

Just seen the Snowboard Cross finals which was pretty good races, people falling over all over the shop and ballings things up on the last jumps makes for exciting viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

The snowboarding was great. The canadian lad was unlucky in the final. Still doesnt compare to the womens final in Turin, Lindsey Jacobilis snottin herself at the last jump.... classic.

Just watching the replay of it now on Beeb2 and that woman they got to join Ed Leigh in the commentary is starting to annoy me now. She's just going "ooo", "ahh" and "eek" a lot. :)

The Canadian was unlucky alright, Jacobillis was just showing off. As this course shows, it's not over until you crosS the line.

Do the skiers and women go on the same course or did they have enough spare snow and bales of hay to make other courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just watching the replay of it now on Beeb2 and that woman they got to join Ed Leigh in the commentary is starting to annoy me now. She's just going "ooo", "ahh" and "eek" a lot. :)

The Canadian was unlucky alright, Jacobillis was just showing off. As this course shows, it's not over until you crosS the line.

Do the skiers and women go on the same course or did they have enough spare snow and bales of hay to make other courses?

i think they do go over the same course, was watching it on line and one of the offical olympic graphics came up discribing it as 'ski and snowboard cross stadium'

was great to watch, although may have to start rationing my viewing as its not good for my download limit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Just heard her go "Ooh, look at that guy!" during a replay, followed by an awkward pause and then she says "Sorry, I was looking out the window at something else".

I've never seen this Sport before but I still reckon I could commentate on it better than she can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Looking forward to the short-track speed skating, anyone know when it's on? Think it was in the last games, don't think it was the final though, when the all but the guy in last took each other out coming out of the last bend and he went from last to first, brilliant.

SkidMark wrote: »
    Just heard her go "Ooh, look at that guy!" during a replay, followed by an awkward pause and then she says "Sorry, I was looking out the window at something else".

I think that was the fourth placed guy in one of the races who fell over at the bottom of the last jump, as the others were celebrating I spotted him having walked up to the top of the jump and looking over the edge. I think he must have then decided to jump down and then put his board back on to cross the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I think that was the fourth placed guy in one of the races who fell over at the bottom of the last jump, as the others were celebrating I spotted him having walked up to the top of the jump and looking over the edge. I think he must have then decided to jump down and then put his board back on to cross the line.

Ah, that could have been it, thanks.

Love the Winter Olympics all the same, I wouldn't normally see much of these Sports. That Snowboard Cross was very exciting.

amacachi wrote: »
    Looking forward to the short-track speed skating, anyone know when it's on? Think it was in the last games, don't think it was the final though, when the all but the guy in last took each other out coming out of the last bend and he went from last to first, brilliant.

I thought it was the last games, seems it was 2002 though:

Stephen Bradbury - Wikipedia

There was some short track on the other day and there is some more due tonight, not sure what time it's on though due to BBC NI showing something else during the first part of tonights show before switching to the Olympic coverage..

SkidMark wrote: »

I've never seen this Sport before but I still reckon I could commentate on it better than she can.

+1. Whoever she is shes shocking! Worst commentator ever. I mean she literally goes ohh ahh, this is a really great race and thats it. Poor Ed leigh is commentating his heart out trying to compensate for her. Worst than sean kelly's commentary at the tour de france(breaks my heart to say that, sean you were a beast on the bike but most of the time I cant understand a word youre saying).
    Seriously exciting competition though, both the mens and womens. Looking forward to the ice hockey tonight.

I've lost access to the TV with Eurosport on it today as someone else is off work sick, but just been watching the streams on the EBU site and the Curling is surprisingly captivating. Must be something about a bunch of Scottish lad shouting "HARD" at each other, and other random words which I'm sure mean something.

It is a very tactical game though despite the fact I've still not fully decoded the scoring yet.

I've lost access to the TV with Eurosport on it today as someone else is off work sick, but just been watching the streams on the EBU site and the Curling is surprisingly captivating. Must be something about a bunch of Scottish lad shouting "HARD" at each other, and other random words which I'm sure mean something.

It is a very tactical game though despite the fact I've still not fully decoded the scoring yet.

Yeah curling has a strange compelling force alright. Absolutely bonkers sport, has no business being in anyway interesting, but I cant help but watch. Hiliarious aswell, what the hell do they be shouting at each other?

The Snowboard Cross finals are not being shown live on either Beeb2/3 or Eurosport by the looks of it, and even the highlights will be missed due to stupid NI scheduling again. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Your one during the male snowboarding was really getting on my nerves....wasn't contributing, just making random sounds!

Advertisement