Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion cont: Tuesday, Wednesday - more heavy snow risk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

This is looking very similar to the event that finished the last cold spell in January. 15th of the month, I think. We got over a foot of snow then. Wicklow could be plastered again tomorrow evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Anfield Road

arctictree wrote: »
    This is looking very similar to the event that finished the last cold spell in January. 15th of the month, I think. We got over a foot of snow then. Wicklow could be plastered again tomorrow evening...

yeah was thinking about that myself, what a crazy day that was, non-stop snow from midday till midnight almost totally unexpected, we actually thought that was it and what fell on top of what was already on the ground was unreal. Thing is, I think the forecast did say snow for our area that day just not so much. I am not rushing out to get supplies in but I have to go to Blanchardstown tomorrow and won't be leaving until around 4pm so hope we don't get a nasty surprise until I am in the door home!. I hate driving that road home in the snow, not good for the nerves!:D

arctictree wrote: »
    Yup!
    Thats my thinking exactly.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if in the micro climates of the high ground in Wicklow that this ends up a mostly if not all snow event.
    I would get to the shops early tomorrow if you haven't already done so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I wonder really is it me with snide remarks & issues?
    As for Met eireann they are professional people paid by the tax payers so we are entitled to comment on performance, as we do on our ministers.
    By the way there are many on here share my view of them including 2 mods!
    As for my forecast no snow South of a line from Galway to Dublin, Northern midlands yes. In fact look at the charts on the beeb and as per usual they have it spot on!!

By the way are you Joan Blackburn in disguise:D

That seems a vague forecast. You are saying it will snow in the N midlands only? Galway, Mayo, Dublin are not in the midlands. How dare you...:p

Ev on TV now. Will she stick to her snow guns?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Hot dang. Our last chance of seeing snow for a while according to RTE will be tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

i was just about inside that snow line!!! (i think . . .;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well 3 hours pass and a totally different forecast.
    Now much more realistic, snow for a short while and then getting less cold.
    A spot on forecast this evening, which makes the 7pm one look even more absurd! Still a correction that is welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Disappointing when she said the snow probably wouldn't last for long - but still something to look forward to.

Well 3 hours pass and a totally different forecast.
    Now much more realistic, snow for a short while and then getting less cold.
    A spot on forecast this evening, which makes the 7pm one look even more absurd! Still a correction that is welcome!

And who are you to judge it is correct, or more correct than the last one? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

By the way there are many on here share my view of them including 2 mods!

Don't by any means want to start an argument:), but I'd just like to point out that i think the met generally are very good actually and that they get a lot of unjustified stick on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Very disappointing 18z GFS, i was hoping to see
    that small central [ressire that develops above
    the main low become smaller but it has infact become
    larger pushing the mild air further north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Such a dramatic change over a few hours surely makes it entirely possible for an upgrade in the next run. Hopefully :( How frustrating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

:owinter is over:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Very disappointing 18z GFS, i was hoping to see
    that small central [ressire that develops above
    the main low become smaller but it has infact become
    larger pushing the mild air further north.

Yes things have gone down hill today

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

this was always the danger. it's just very rare that we get the optimum conditions... so it's looks as if winter will go out meekily. if i wasn't resigned to things going pear shaped over the last couple of days i'd be throwing a lot of toys around..:o:

we've been so close to major snow fall this year but we've just been extremely unlucky with the track of lps:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Judging by yr.no Wednesday night is our last chance for more snow, the rain should hit us some time that night so if its still cold enough we should get some

If, and it is a big if, this band of rain was to turn to snow, even briefly as it pushes north, we could see blizzard type conditions developing as the wind will be quite blowy as the band of prep arrives. The last blizzard we had here in Feb 07 (or was it 06, I can't remember) came from a set up not dissimilar to what is forecast for tomorrow night. I have resigned myself however to expect nothing more than the odd fleck of light rain here as the front moves in. That way, I won't be disappointed. I will be, but I'll pretend that I won't be because I foresaw it all...:D

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Such a dramatic change over a few hours surely makes it entirely possible for an upgrade in the next run. Hopefully :( How frustrating!

if only. you can be almost guaranteed downgrades when it comes to charts showing heavy snowfall but never the reverse after a major downgrade. near misses has been the recurring theme of this winter so i'm immune to the disappointment at this stage. i hope others are too. if not hold your tears until the rain falls;)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Lets be honest , winter is over :D

However its been a blast particularly in Dublin - the canals froze over, temps dipped to around -11oC, - 12oC with windchills of -16oC!! Decent heavy snow showers from Dec 31st through to Jan 9th ensured we had over ten days of lying snow in part of Dublin. Icy footpaths we would all rather forget. Dublin airport closed a couple of times to clear the runway of snow. That guy from RTE news wearing that ridiculous hat. Countless frosty nights and icy conditions noting a low only last night in Dublin of -6oC! Oh and that surprise snowfall on Saturday night just gone that caught both me and the other half out (we were walking the dogs and covered in the stuff by the time we got home). A reminder that in Ireland we do get snow and sub zero temperatures.

We have been spoiled this winter, what a cold blast ! So what if tomorrow is rain instead of snow! We have had our fill. Roll on the Spring and temps of +14oC and brighter evenings for St Patrick's Day :)

Derek

• Advertisement

derekon wrote: »

However its been a blast particularly in Dublin - the canals froze over, temps dipped to around -11oC, - 12oC with windchills of -16oC!! Decent heavy snow showers from Dec 31st through to Jan 9th ensured we had over ten days of lying snow in part of Dublin. Icy footpaths we would all rather forget. Dublin airport closed a couple of times to clear the runway of snow. That guy from RTE news wearing that ridiculous hat. Countless frosty nights and icy conditions noting a low only last night in Dublin of -6oC! Oh and that surprise snowfall on Saturday night just gone that caught both me and the other half out (we were walking the dogs and covered in the stuff by the time we got home). A reminder that in Ireland we do get snow and sub zero temperatures.

We have been spoiled this winter, what a cold blast ! So what if tomorrow is rain instead of snow! We have had our fill. Roll on the Spring and temps of +14oC and brighter evenings for St Patrick's Day :)

Derek

so it doesn't make you feel sad that it could be nine months before we see snow again. perhaps i need to check into a snow addiction clinic:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We could still see some snow showers in March! but as soon as daylight hits the snow vanishs:)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Although I didn't see a whole lot of snow where I live, I definitely have had enough of the cold now - only so much of the cold one can take when there is no snow to go with it!

Yes I am looking forward to a summers* evening - BBQ heating with some nice tunes in the background and several cans of beer in the fridge... smell of freshly cut grass blending with the summer evening air.

*assuming we get one of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

derekon wrote: »

Derek
    that's easy for you to say, at least you got some snow:mad:

so it doesn't make you feel sad that it could be nine months before we see snow again. perhaps i need to check into a snow addiction clinic:pac:

Nacho, we have a season of thunder coming up till then. Snow cannot match the awesome power of a good summer lightning storm. Forget your lust for snow, and enjoy the possibilities ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I don't think winter is over just yet somehow. still think it will be cold from next weekend on and the 18z gfs is always a bit extreme judging from before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Well I have never seen the rte forecast were it had snow sympols surrounding my location in a very long time, they seem quite confident, but I won't get my hopes up yet, lets hope there right though because this could be our last chance for some decent snow untill next winter.

Latest HI Res update (6hr rain total) for tomorrow night:

105937.jpg

band pushing a little more north than earlier runs, and a slight bit more intense looking. Tense times ahead.

Nacho, we have a season of thunder coming up till then. Snow cannot match the awesome power of a good summer lightning storm. Forget your lust for snow, and enjoy the possibilities ahead!

i'm too far gone like gollum. i can never have enough of the precious:D

looking ahead, thunderstorm like we got in May 2001 would be good. those came all the way up from Biscay. the lightning was spectacular- intense fork lightning in multiple directions at the peak of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

I don't think winter is over just yet somehow. still think it will be cold from next weekend on and the 18z gfs is always a bit extreme judging from before.

The words "clutching" and "straws" comes to mind :)

Derek

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement