Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion cont: Tuesday, Wednesday - more heavy snow risk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

beco wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

How accurate are these fellows?

i find them to be fairly accurate. they seem to reflect the latest predictions from met eireann as well. it'll be interesting to see just how much snow people in the north of the country get. i just hope there's a foot of snow here before it turns back to rain:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Not looking good. Just had a quick glance at my cat's paw. Long range cat paw reading suggest a mild, wet winter next year but this is subject to change. Will wait for the next cat paw run at 00z hrs to see.

Again, this sounds like another crow's arse story to me !!! :pac:

Not looking good. Just had a quick glance at my cat's paw. Long range cat paw reading suggest a mild, wet winter next year but this is subject to change. Will wait for the next cat paw run at 00z hrs to see.

speaking of which Ken Ring hasn't been on here in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Didn't he predict a mild end to the winter? I can't be sure. But then again, so did I in the competition thread, and that went titicus verticus as well.

Didn't he predict a mild end to the winter? I can't be sure. But then again, so did I in the competition thread, and that went titicus verticus as well.

he predicted the peak of the cold for the end of January, with a cold start to February then milder until the last week in Feburary

• Advertisement

wow Thomas Schafenacker(?) delivered a glorious forecast for the week if you live in the north. Snow on and off for the guts of three days up there!
    if his forecasts verifies there is going to be a serious dumping up north!! regarding tuesday's possible snow event, it looks good for the west and midlands, before the snow turns back to rain in the early hours of Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

wow Thomas Schafenacker(?) delivered a glorious forecast for the week if you live in the north. Snow on and off for the guts of three days up there!
    if his forecasts verifies there is going to be a serious dumping up north!! regarding tuesday's possible snow event, it looks good for the west and midlands, before the snow turns back to rain in the early hours of Wednesday.

Mr. SwiffyNiffy is wrong... 4 day polar low over Naas :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

not questioning you're cat,but my two dogs are running around in circles anti-clockwise and barking in a strange northern accent,reminds me of someone from Coleraine area,definitely means snow for meath :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Even if this does not give snow to some places there are more opportunities right through to the weekend and possibly beyond. I don't think the models have this tracked accurately yet though. Still some small differences that make a big difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

darkman2 wrote: »
    Even if this does not give snow to some places there are more opportunities right through to the weekend and possibly beyond. I don't the models have this tracked accurately yet though. Still some small differences that make a big difference!

The crucial difference will be that we hope it will have a tighter packed gradient on its northside than the GFS op shows.

OP run

gfs-0-48.png?6

Better scenario (One of GFS ensembles)

gens-7-1-48.png?6

• Advertisement

I can go one better. DWD;)

gme-0-54.png

gme-1-54.png

well, as was said some places will see snow this week others not. whoever does get snow this week enjoy it boys and girls because who knows next winter could be a real stinker that is dominated by mild south westerlies throughout. even though the snowfall returns could have been a lot better, this has been an exceptional winter that will be remembered for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

well, as was said some places will see snow this week others not. whoever does get snow this week enjoy it boys and girls because who knows next winter could be a real stinker that is dominated by mild south westerlies throughout. even though the snowfall returns could have been a lot better, this has been an exceptional winter that will be remembered for years to come.

It will not go into the history books if next winter is colder but as part of a run of cold winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

My feeling so far is...

Take out your atlas boys and girls... look at the N52 road that divides this beautiful isle. If you are north of it, expect snow more than rain, south of it, expect rain more than snow. I think the front will only make it as far north as a line from Sligo to Belfast with areas N of here staying dry.

Joe Public wrote: »
    It will not go into the history books if next winter is colder but as part of a run of cold winters.

well, the duration of the cold is exceptional. it will take something special to rival it. it is the type of winter we rarely get. i doubt many here can remember a winter with such sustained cold, where the jet stream was kept so far to the south of Ireland for so long. it would be brilliant if it turns out, as you say, to be a cold winter in a run of many but somehow i doubt we'll see a winter like this for a long time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

12z GFS slight movement in good direction, less development of that secondary centre to the low but still there, if the trend continues in the 18z then who knows, other runs will be interesting.

12z GFS slight movement in good direction, less development of that secondary centre to the low but still there, if the trend continues in the 18z then who knows, other runs will be interesting.

Posters from Ulster won't be complaining!

Literally just the smallest chages required. It is an improvement in that it is colder when the precip arrives and the -5 850 isotherm is a smidgeon further South. UKMO next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Real snow risk does not kick in until Thursday and Friday as far as I can see.

I do agree though that subtle changes over the next 24hrs can have a huge bearing on matters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

well, the duration of the cold is exceptional. it will take something special to rival it. it is the type of winter we rarely get. i doubt many here can remember a winter with such sustained cold, where the jet stream was kept so far to the south of Ireland for so long. it would be brilliant if it turns out, as you say, to be a cold winter in a run of many but somehow i doubt we'll see a winter like this for a long time again.

For me it has being a cold winter but a disappointing winter with regards to snow, all we got was one day of snow, I remember the 70's and 80's where we would get more snow in March than we did this winter.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lucky OwenC is on a ban! Wouldn't bet on it if he was here. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Lets just say the tiger at Auckland zoo didn't take too kindly to having his palm read and being told that the weather would remain 'cool for cats'. :eek:

tiger_jumping.jpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

:D
    I still think the Irish Sea may ruin things this close to the east coast but I have to admit that the prospects for snow this week are mouthwatering!!

Id consider the UKMO 12z a slight improvement aswell in that the snow potential is a bit further South.

Is this scenario the one most likely to produce snow for lower lying areas?
    PPVK89.png

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Id consider the UKMO 12z a slight improvement aswell.

It is indeed Darkman. The main area of low pressure does not make as much northward progress as was indicated on the 00Z Evolution.

Mountainous regions & areas from the central midlands Northwards are currently at risk of sustained snowfall, with significant snowfall in excess of 10CM now quite likely across several areas above 200M-300M in the south, and in areas at much lower elevations further north.

The latest NAE 12Z Guidance is indicating fairly widespread snowfall from the Central Midlands Northwards @ T+36. Snowfall is also possible in areas at elevation across Southern areas for a time tomorrow afternoon.

10022400_2212.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Snowaddict wrote: »
    It is indeed Darkman. The main area of low pressure does not make as much northward progress as was indicated on the 00Z Evolution.

Mountainous regions & areas from the central midlands Northwards are currently at risk of sustained snowfall, with significant snowfall in excess of 10CM now quite likely across several areas above 200M-300M in the south, and in areas at much lower elevations further north.

The latest NAE 12Z Guidance is indicating fairly widespread snowfall from the Central Midlands Northwards @ T+36. Snowfall is also possible in areas at elevation across Southern areas for a time tomorrow afternoon.

10022400_2212.gif

i want it further south! still open to change i suppose - these things rarely work out as planned or predicted. what is later in the week looking like?

SA, I am not in habit of asking the generic boards weather question, but what do you think my chances are of seeing snow? I am 450-500ft asl, 12 miles inland from west coast. When giving forecasts it is somewhat hard to call your own forecast. Sorry for question

Owenc & members from parts of Galway, Mayo and counties further North will be very happy if the evolution develops as modelled on the 12Z NAE Guidance - it's indicating significant snowfall across these areas at T+42:

10022406_2212.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Owenc & members from parts of Galway, Mayo and counties further North will be very happy if the evolution develops as modelled on the 12Z NAE Guidance - it's indicating significant snowfall across these areas at T+42:

10022406_2212.gif

:eek::eek: Stunning! If only that would actually happen!!

• Advertisement

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    SA, I am not in habit of asking the generic boards weather question, but what do you think my chances are of seeing snow? I am 450-500ft asl, 12 miles inland from west coast. When giving forecasts it is somewhat hard to call your own forecast. Sorry for question

Hi WolfeIRE,

At the moment, they are at 50% or lower, with your location further south being the issue.

It's very difficult to call, I would say impossible even because it all depends upon the exact track of the area of low pressure and as to how much less cold air becomes embedded within the mix. You may well see transient snowfall for a time, but the chances of seeing prolonged snowfall at the moment appear to be low.

Again, any small changes will have a significant bearing on the nature of the precipitation, but transient snowfall followed by sleet/cold rain looks likely for your location at the moment. This is as ever, even at this very close timeframe, subject to change, however significant changes are unlikely at this stage.

SA :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement