Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion cont: Tuesday, Wednesday - more heavy snow risk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Tbh another example of Met Eireann using old out of date charts
    The forecast had 00z ECM written all over it, whereas updated models this evening are showing a trend of less cold conditions developing.
    She actually said a polar front, perhaps they have to use up their allocated "snow" words before the Winter is up.
    Hillarious and innaccurate yet again imo

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

I think they just like to err on the side of caution. Can you imagine the backlash if they forecast rain and it turned out to be a widespread blizzard????:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

The forecast had 00z ECM written all over it, whereas updated models this evening are showing a trend of less cold conditions developing.
    She actually said a polar front, perhaps they have to use up their allocated "snow" words before the Winter is up.

It is not so much the charts she uses, but on how she reads them. Forecast seem alright to me, although she may well be over doing the snow element to it. We will see. I am not expecting too much of precipitation here locally at least, as the front does not look that strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

JanuarySnowstor,

Evelyn was referring to the PFJ - Polar Frontal Jet that is, so cut out the snide remarks. You seem to have a persistent issue with Met Eireann & yet if it was up to you to do the forecast, what would you run with? It's only a few evenings ago you were on here posting a Winter is Over type post followed by a Snow for Cork post within a few minutes of each other.

Evelyn has referred to this several times over the past few weeks as the cold weather has persisted. I don't know how you think the forecast had ECWMF 00Z written all over it, because she never went past the events of tomorrow really & gave a very decent overview of what we can expect in the coming days.

I do however, think that the overall forecast for snowfall was a bit on the optimistic side. That said, it's better to warn of a risk that could occur than not to warn at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Wow there are some serious issues here. It used to be a good place to get an idea of what weather was around the corner. Now its a place for peeps to really get stuck into each other. WTF happened? Can you all not just accept each others different views and move on already?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Well regardless of the true result, treasure these pictures that i've taken from my TV,might not see those graphics again for a long time.

105907.jpg

105908.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

redsunset wrote: »
    Well regardless of the true result, treasure these pictures that i've taken from my TV,might not see those graphics again for a long time.

105907.jpg

105908.jpg

if only it were true. I think I might book Wednesday off work just incase!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

redsunset wrote: »

excellent. TY Red. Missed the weather. That is a great sight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It looks like it could snow for a long time here tomorrow. It's bound to, like Saturday night, Tipperary v Kilkenny in Thurles tomorrow night at 8pm, just calling out for another snow event to cancel it for a second time.

Owen wouldn't be happy with those charts, I didn't mind him, ok he wants cold, I want mild to warm, dry weather.
    On Owen's behalf regarding those charts..... ugggghhh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

[ing]http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gfs/run/gfs-2-36.png?12[/img]

It could snow really anywhere indicated there. No point in getting into specifics till it is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Since I'm originally from Derry maybe I could take OC's place. :) am I going see any snow in my part of the Irish Free State??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

defo game over for the East, roll on summer is all i can say:)

Snowaddict wrote: »
    JanuarySnowstor,

Evelyn was referring to the PFJ - Polar Frontal Jet that is, so cut out the snide remarks. You seem to have a persistent issue with Met Eireann & yet if it was up to you to do the forecast, what would you run with? It's only a few evenings ago you were on here posting a Winter is Over type post followed by a Snow for Cork post within a few minutes of each other.

I wonder really is it me with snide remarks & issues?
    As for Met eireann they are professional people paid by the tax payers so we are entitled to comment on performance, as we do on our ministers.
    By the way there are many on here share my view of them including 2 mods!
    As for my forecast no snow South of a line from Galway to Dublin, Northern midlands yes. In fact look at the charts on the beeb and as per usual they have it spot on!!

By the way are you Joan Blackburn in disguise:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Perhaps an over reaction for your locationg gonzo.

I think the met forecast gave a good idea perhaps push the area 30 miles further north, ulster is gonna get plummelled, I would draw a line from drogheda to portlaoise to loughrea north. Probably retreating to Dundalk- mullingar- Roscommon notthwards by pm weds

changes of 25-50 miles of this line possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Min wrote: »
    It looks like it could snow for a long time here tomorrow. It's bound to, like Saturday night, Tipperary v Kilkenny in Thurles tomorrow night at 8pm, just calling out for another snow event to cancel it for a second time.
    at least there is free entry to see the snow this time.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

WolfeIRE wrote: »

was think the same myself wolfe!

amazing how for once it seems met eireann are overplaying the snow potential! have to say though it was january-cold like here today and it worked out well back then when the front pushed up north if not nowfrom the cold continent.

you never know we maybe surprised people.

WolfeIRE wrote: »

lol true, mabe we could settle the match with a snowball fight or just get some snow, flatten it, shine it, get some sweeping brushes and we could have some curling instead of hurling, Semple stadium might be more fit for that.....

Min wrote: »
    lol true, mabe we could settle the match with a snowball fight or just get some snow, flatten it, shine it, get some sweeping brushes and we could have some curling instead of hurling, Semple stadium might be more fit for that.....

at least tipp might beat kilkenny that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

was think the same myself wolfe!

amazing how for once it seems met eireann are overplaying the snow potential! have to say though it was january-cold like here today and it worked out well back then when the front pushed up north if not nowfrom the cold continent.

you never know we maybe surprised people.

I'm with Munsterlegend. I know that on the models Cork has no chance tomorrow but it feels just like it did on 10 Jan when we got 11 hrs of snow (admittedly v light). It was bitter today - coldest day since 11 jan definitely. I have a sneaky feeling we are all in for a very pleasant surprise!

We were a shoe in for precipitation (whether rain or snow) on Sat night, right up to Sat night in fact, and we saw nothing so it just shows that sometimes its all about the nowcast. One way or other, I'll get the front before the rest of you in the morning so I promise to keep you posted.

• Advertisement

I'm with Munsterlegend. I know that on the models Cork has no chance tomorrow but it feels just like it did on 10 Jan when we got 11 hrs of snow (admittedly v light). It was bitter today - coldest day since 11 jan definitely. I have a sneaky feeling we are all in for a very pleasant surprise!

We were a shoe in for precipitation (whether rain or snow) on Sat night, right up to Sat night in fact, and we saw nothing so it just shows that sometimes its all about the nowcast. One way or other, I'll get the front before the rest of you in the morning so I promise to keep you posted.

i am surprised judging by Miss Cusack's forecast why there is no weather warning in place on the website.

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/default.asp?areaname=&AT=&area=&lang=&Country=&ShowDate=tomorrow

the above shows a warning for ulster and connacht.

Sadly snow for Cork from a Southeasterly is impossible.
    The snow in January came from a Northeasterly off a cold land.
    Very different this time around!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

It is I !! The Kildare correspondent :D

Looks like I might get something out of this by the met forecast... opinions ?

If you say yes I'll go buy a floppy hat and post video forecasts ! :pac:

Sadly snow for Cork from a Southeasterly is impossible.
    The snow in January came from a Northeasterly off a cold land.
    Very different this time around!

do you mean all of cork or just cork city given its coastal location?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

aeras furthest away from the wind track are in the optimum position for snow. so people in the north west of the country and ulster are best placed...

I would rule out all of Munster, though Evelyn seems to think Limerick will get a pasting.
    Perhaps Joan Blackburn will give us an update later on rte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

at least tipp might beat kilkenny that way!

about the only way they could!!! i hope it comes a bit further south than expected . . .

if there is a lot of snow up north, do you think it will have melted by the weekend??? i'm due to go up for a canoeing race on friday night, hope ite not cancelled . . .

I would rule out all of Munster, though Evelyn seems to think Limerick will get a pasting.
    Perhaps Joan Blackburn will give us an update later on rte

north cork is not too far from limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Anfield Road

So is Wicklow/Rathdrum not going to get a hammering this time??. Pity it was great fun in January and the kids want it back!:D
    Doesn't look to promising on the forecasts earlier...anyone optimistic about our chances here?. It is very cold out there!

• Advertisement

north cork is not too far from limerick!

Try Athlone, am sure it will snow there!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement