Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US/IRL] 6x04 - "The Substitute" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I want to know where Eloise and Widmore fit into all this.
    Yeah I wonder what the story is with Eloise. In the season 5 finale, Richard knocked her out and took her somewhere (probably the temple). When the bomb went off how come she wasn't transported to 2007 along with Richard and everyone else on the island? Maybe he got her on the sub somehow, and she goes off the island to give birth to Faraday. I don't know how Widmore will fit in to this again, he seemed really important in the grand scheme of things but not so much lately, same with Ben.
    thought the guy that delivered the lost luggage was gona be walt
    I thought it really sounded like Michael delivering the luggage. Was his name in the credits?
    Nothing really to add to the discussion, but I love the little touches in the show. When Locke was lying on the lawn and the sprinkler came on; wasn't there another episode with Locke standing on the island just enjoying the rain?
    Yeah I liked that too. In season 1 Locke and Boone were out in the jungle somewhere and Locke stopped to say it would rain in one minute, and it did, and he just smiled up at the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I wonder what the story is with Eloise. In the season 5 finale, Richard knocked her out and took her somewhere (probably the temple). When the bomb went off how come she wasn't transported to 2007 along with Richard and everyone else on the island? Maybe he got her on the sub somehow, and she goes off the island to give birth to Faraday. I don't know how Widmore will fit in to this again, he seemed really important in the grand scheme of things but not so much lately, same with Ben.

Richard wasn't transported to 2007. Neither was anyone else except Jack, Juliet, Kate, Hurley, Sawyer, Jin, Miles and Sayid (ie. the people who actually went back in time).

Richard is ageless, as shown how he was in 1954 and looked the same, but he didn't know John Locke, even though he had met him in 2004 before the time flashes started. For some reason, he doesn't get any older. Eloise does, so after The Incident in 1977 when Richard knocks her out, she leaves the island somehow and raises Daniel. And she gets older as time goes on.

So after The Incident, only the people who went back in time were transported to 2007. Richard, Eloise etc stayed in their own time and lived for about another 25 years before Oceanic 815 crashed on the island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Not to sure on the Saywer con man idea as I think the reason he saw the kid and Richard didn't is because he is on Flockes side were as Richard clearly isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

If anything that episode makes the numbers more mysterious, but thankfully people seem to think thats answered so hopefully we can all move on.

The Hurley scene was kind of cool but the Rose one really seemed tacked on, I hope there is a point to these coincidences and they are not just excuses to revisit all the old characters. As I'm really liking the flashsideways for the most part.

But it was Bens scene that was really interesting. This confirms the island did not end up at the bottom of the ocean as a result of the bomb. It happened sometime later, as Ben was still been held by the Others in the Temple. And Ben seemed alright in the flashsideways despite Richards warning that he would never be the same after they took him. So what did happen to Ben as a result of been healed? What is the real reason he became a psycho if he is indeed normal in the flashsideways? And what event happened on the island to force someone to move the island to the bottom of the ocean or for it to sink?

Lapidus was funny as usual but I really don't see the point of him as a character unless, unfortunatly, its for cannon fodder reasons. Jin and Sun have been so marginalised for the last two seasons it'll be hard to care for their big reunion, shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

But it was Bens scene that was really interesting. This confirms the island did not end up at the bottom of the ocean as a result of the bomb. It happened sometime later, as Ben was still been held by the Others in the Temple. And Ben seemed alright in the flashsideways despite Richards warning that he would never be the same after they took him. So what did happen to Ben as a result of been healed? What is the real reason he became a psycho if he is indeed normal in the flashsideways? And what event happened on the island to force someone to move the island to the bottom of the ocean or for it to sink?

But if Sayid never went to the island, then he never shot Ben to begin with.

The island underwater scene showed the Dharma Barracks. Perhaps, since Faraday never went to the island in this timeline, Jughead exploded some time before Ben got to the island, perhaps shortly after the Dharma folk built the barracks. This could explain why Ben is relatively normal (apart from seeming like the guy everyone in work hates :D)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Re: the island being underwater

Does anyone else think there's some connection between this and the fact that Dharma used a submarine to get to/from the island? In "One of Us" Richard/Ethan described the trip as being "bumpy" and "intense" and insisted that Juliet be asleep for the ride. I always thought there was something to this.

Later on, we saw people came to/from the island quite easily using rafts, helicopters, etc. Why a submarine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

But if Sayid never went to the island, then he never shot Ben to begin with.

I know what you're saying......but.......
    For the first time in 6 seasons I can truly say I'm really confused.

Surly for the alt timeline to exist the Losties would have had to detonate the bomb? Therefore they were on the island and Ben was shot etc... Its only different after 1977. No....

Edit. Okay I think I've got it. The losties always went back in time but in this alt timeline the losties were never on the island to go back in time in the first place so you are right, Ben never would have got shot. Right....? Lost broke my brain there for a sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Does anyone else think there's some connection between this and the fact that Dharma used a submarine to get to/from the island? In "One of Us" Richard/Ethan described the trip as being "bumpy" and "intense" and insisted that Juliet be asleep for the ride. I always thought there was something to this.

Later on, we saw people came to/from the island quite easily using rafts, helicopters, etc. Why a submarine?
    i thought it could be something to do with the time bearing, like in the Constant? or it might be something to do with stealth too, the submarine would get into the island unseen, whereas a boat or plane wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 joyle

Did anybody find it weird that Ben was in Locke's flashsideways?
    Ben would have been on the island regardless of weather the plane crashed or not!
    So is there no "island" in the flashsideways?
    just a little observation i had!:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

joyle wrote: »
    There is, you just need to hold your breath on it. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 joyle

There is, you just need to hold your breath on it. :p
    ah sure ive been holding my breath for 6 seasons.. i think i can hold on i lil longer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Draupnir wrote: »
    One other thing, when the boy told MIB "you can't kill him". I thought that he was talking about Sawyer, so I personally feel that MIB/Smoke monster can't kill candidates.

From that, I'm thinking that the times we saw him appear to people and "judge" them he was checking to see if they were candidates, going back to their most vulnerable times and checking to see if they had met Jacob. Once he had figured out if they were candidates or not, he could kill them or not, seems to fit for Eko maybe?

Would explain why he killed the pilot but not Charlie, Jack or Kate in the Pilot episode. Would also explain why he let Locke live too.
    I really like this theory. Would really explain why Smokie didnt kill them.

Im not one to complain when we get answers, but I thought that the whole numbers relating to the candidates was just an easy way for the producers to explain the numbers. Saying that, Id rather them being explained and I really like it, even if it was just the producers taking the easy route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I'm starting to come around to this line of thinking

also, chooooooooooooon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Very interesting. This would explain why he didn't turn into smoke to chase after the kid. Might also add some credence to the idea that he was once held captive in the cabin while still being able to roam the island as the smoke monster.

I like this. I was thinking something similar.

If what Draupnir said about Smokey not being able to kill candidates is correct, then perhaps the initial "lists" of people which the Others captured were non-candidates - people not safe from Smokey. The Others took them to the Temple to protect them.

I really like all this.

I have this warm fuzzy feeling inside that the show is really starting to come together. There is a sense that all 6 seasons have a purpose. Flocke said the most important question is why are they on the island. Of course to us it's are they making it up as they go along. I am really hopeful now about that.

Amazing the difference 1 episode makes hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

joyle wrote: »

just a little observation i had!:)

there is an island in the flash sideways
    its just underwater thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Good episode, not amazing though.

My first problem is with the numbers. They didn't explain them they just designated a name to them. What I want to know is how are those numbers the most important when there were clearly dozens up on the wall of the cave, yet the 6 numbers were the ones that Hurley won the lottery with, that were part of the beacon, hatch numbers etc... why not the other ones?

Secondly, the flash sideways all seems to be a little contrived imo. It's as if the writers are just shoe horning characters into roles in the alt reality to take away from the fact that the story is going no where (or at least appears to be going no where). Perhaps they are looking at the possibility of a spin off alternate reality show... :rolleyes: cause at the rate they are travelling they have a lot to tie up in both dimensions!

Really looking forward to seeing what Richard does... he's becoming one of my favorite characters and I hope he has a bigger role in things to come - kill off Kate if needs be!!!

I never really thought of the Submarine having a connection to the island being underwater but I did think that there was some connection with the underwater station (where Charlie died).

Dman001 wrote: »
    I never really thought of the Submarine having a connection to the island being underwater but I did think that there was some connection with the underwater station (where Charlie died).
    Yeah I meant to mention that as well. The underwater station was called the "The Looking Glass", which my if memory is correct is a reference to the portal Alice used to get to Wonderland. The station had a sub dock as well. I always thought there was something significant about this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

How does Jacob get to and from the island? Is it because he's magic or does he have his own personal yacht or something?

Dubs wrote: »
    How does Jacob get to and from the island? Is it because he's magic or does he have his own personal yacht or something?
    Well when Ben turned the wheel he was "teleported" to the real world so Im sure Jacob has some telepoter on the island. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

It could be something to do with the electromagnetism, but on a show with time travel and smoke monsters, you have to suspend your belief a fair bit. While the producers try to explain lots of things, there will be some things that you just have to go with

Absolutely, i have no problem with the suspension of disbelief , but does
    the island move physically as well as through time ??

I always had a thought about this since season 1/2 when the plane from
    Nigeria was found .... way out of range, I always though the island
    was in the Indian ocean and not the pacific...

seems if it does move physically at one stage it was in the indian, as well as the far far north (since Polar bears are on it ... )

the_monkey wrote: »
    Absolutely, i have no problem with the suspension of disbelief , but does
    the island move physically as well as through time ??
    Yeah, "the island" is physically moving all the time. We learned this from Miss Hawking last season. It seems the wheel just gives some (unpredictable) control over that movement.

I'm not sure the island if moves in time though. Or least we've never seen it do so. Ben moved it in 2004. Ajira 316 lands on it in 2007. 3 years had passed both on island and off. Richard confirmed this. We still don't really know what was the story with the shifts through time that the survivors experienced.

As for why the island moves: the wormhole theory provided the perfect explanation imo. However, I think the island being underwater in the ALT kinda messes that theory up now.
    the_monkey wrote: »
    , as well as the far far north (since Polar bears are on it ... )
    No, Dharma brought the bears to the island. The implication (which is unlikely to be expanded on) is that they used them to turn the wheel.

Just thinking about the end of Season 4 when Ben turned the Wheel and they all went back in time. The island disappeared. Could it be that the island didn't disappear but is just underwater as we have seen in the Season 6 opener.

Ben turned the wheel, which brought the Losties back to 1973, who then brought the bomb to The Swan, which (I belive) blew up and somehow caused the island to "sink".

Fastforward to 2004 when the kate, Jack and Hurley are on the plane they look back and the island "disappears" but it is actually a underwater.

Yeah, Cusick is no longer a series regular, so we are probably going to see even less of him than we did last season. He was technically a guest star in the premiere.

But how come he is still listed as a series regular in the credits?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭blue_steel

Having watched the episode for a third time it is definitely in my top 5 of all time if only because it has the eeriest atmosphere since "the man behind the curtain".
    However, I do think it’s amusing that so many people have taken the allocation of the numbers to six random characters as an "explanation" of anything.
    Don't get me wrong, I loved the scene (imho a nod to Plato's essay about reality being as ephemeral the flickering of a fire on the walls of a cave) but it presents so many problems:
    1. Jacob gives Kate a lunchbox and Sawyer a pen and somehow that is enough to guide them to the island 20 years later?
    2. Jacob didn't even visit Hugo until after he'd left the island so how does that bring him to the island?
    3. Even if Jacob's allocation of the numbers to the candidates is valid why are they later (or earlier?) used by Dharma as the code to dissipate the electro-magnetic energy?
    But at least now I have hope that we will get satisfaction on all of this. After the first three episodes I was starting to panic a bit but I'm now looking forward to the rest of the season with gusto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

Imo, assigning names to the numbers has confused things further rather than providing any kind of answer whatsoever!

cooker3 wrote: »
    But how come he is still listed as a series regular in the credits?
    I don't really know why tbh. But they've often listed people in the main credits who technically weren't regulars. Davies and Leung were listed as "staring" in the credits of season 4 despite the fact that they were both actually guest stars at the time. (They didn't get regular status until season 5).

It was the same with Nikki and Paulo in season 3. In fact the perception that they were regulars was what provoked a lot of the controversy around them. They were always guest stars.

The press releases are a more accurate indicator of who is a regular and who isn't. And Cusick isn't listed on any of them this season. All this really means though is that he's only getting paid for the episodes he appears in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The current explanation of the numbers is very weak imo

I hope that there is a deeper meaning than any of the characters ever thought.

Smoke Monster being anchored onto transformation is a very good point and so is the point about Sawyer being played just like Ben.

Jacob and MiB seem to want to stand to their beliefs (black and white theme) but in the current artistic climate I feel that it will come down to, one set of ideals vs. another set of ideals, both which the audience will agree with but cannot decide which they'd want more.

Just thinking. I wonder are they following the template of season 1. The pilot was 2 hours long and flashbacks for everyone. Episode 3 was Kate centric and of course Episode 4 was Walkabout.
    If they are then next up would be a Jack centric episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

If there was no Alternative Timeline in this seasons episodes i would be much happier TBH. One thing about the flash backs was how the characters were linked in certain ways is carried into the Alt timeline where there seems to be IMO either no island or no jacob to influence them to come to it, but is looking more and more like "fan" episodes were we are supposed to get a kick out of Ben being a teacher and Ethan being a doctor etc etc. The numbers explanation was fairly poor but overall a good episode (apart from the alt timeline storyline which is mostly filler and going absolutely nowhere).

Advertisement