Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US/IRL] 6x04 - "The Substitute" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

thought the guy that delivered the lost luggage was gona be walt

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭redpanda26

well I for one thoroughly enjoyed that episode. loved the lapeidus line of " this is the weirdest damn funeral I've ever been to". great stuff. I also really enjoyed the "alt timeline" or what i like to call opposite world. :)

I also really liked the scene where richard comes running towards sawyer in the jungle all scared and shook up and then goes scampering off again as soon as he hears flocke. makes me wonder how truely dangerous flocke really is?

not really sure what to make of the story to do with the numbers and names scratched on the wall of the cave yet, wil just have to wait and see. anyway I look forward to next weeks episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Artfully Dodgin

the young boy was Aaron and the number was neither jin or sun, its their child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Artfully Dodgin

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    I think sawyer could be setting fake locke up for a long con..
    I think your right. Grieving or not he's way to cute to walk into a trap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

the young boy was Aaron and the number was neither jin or sun, it was for their unborn child.

unborn?

Ji Yeon is born and with Sun's mother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

Loved it. Only gave it an eight because I'm leaving my nines and tens for the rest of the season.

Nothing really to add to the discussion, but I love the little touches
    in the show. When Locke was lying on the lawn and the sprinkler
    came on; wasn't there another episode with Locke standing on
    the island just enjoying the rain?

And the music for the smokie cam and when Locke calls to see Sawyer -
    Search and Destroy by Iggy Pop and the Stooges. Which is what Smokie
    usually does, and I presume what Esau is planning to do to the Island and
    the inhabitants of the temple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Loved it. Only gave it an eight because I'm leaving my nines and tens for the rest of the season.

Nothing really to add to the discussion, but I love the little touches
    in the show. When Locke was lying on the lawn and the sprinkler
    came on; wasn't there another episode with Locke standing on
    the island just enjoying the rain?

And the music for the smokie cam and when Locke calls to see Sawyer -
    Search and Destroy by Iggy Pop and the Stooges. Which is what Smokie
    usually does, and I presume what Esau is planning to do to the Island and
    the inhabitants of the temple.

I agree, but I have to add the shot of the crab running off Lockes head and also Ben as a Teacher as being good touches, not to mention Bens short eulogy at the graveside, acted with true emotion form Michael Emerson.

I like the side flashes ( I know there is a thread) because you can look at the life Locke, for example, should have had, compared to the rotting corpse on the beach. Years ago I posted here that he was my favourite character because I felt here was a broken man who would find some answers to his life. We we expecting to find that he was brought to the Island for a reason, and that the sadness and frustration and the sheer arbitrary meanness of fates role in his life would come to something. But, it did not. Maybe flocke is right, maybe Locke was manipulated all his life by the man we always perhaps thought was the good guy -Jacob. But in the end, he ended up a rotting crab abode. This makes his alternative time line all the more interesting, the one without Jacob, and makes Jacob perhaps more black than white all along.

Now.... why is flocke basically trapped on the island, we know Jacob can get off of it. Why not him. Was Jacob his jailer??

Its getting better isnt it...:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

qz wrote: »
    Just remembered there, the noise of AR Locke's alarm clock is the exact same as the noise of the hatch countdown alarm when the numbers weren't entered in time!
    I believe the time on the clock was 8:15 too but I could be worng.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Is this the first episode thread were noone has said 'was just a filler episode' or 'the writers are making it up as they go along'.

I gave it a solid 10. It was brilliant in everyway.

The acting was fantastic.

Loved both the island and alt timeline scenes.

In typical Lost fashion we got answers but left with so many questions.

Biggest one is who is the boy. I don't think it's Jacob as he's already reappeared to Hurley as himself. Could be Aarron but I doubt it.

Really wondering about the blood on his arms, and the 'What Kid?' comment from MIB was strange.

All great stuff, and I really love Lost....will miss it when it's gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

I wasn't expecting the numbers in the cave. It seems too simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

One thing confused me though. Randy said that Locke was saving his weeks vacation for October, for his wedding. But last week, when Claire had the ultrasound done, the date was October 22nd. But the time between Kate, Claire and Locke getting off the plane and Claire having the ultrasound taken seemed pretty short. Production error or something else?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Production error. This was confirmed by Greg Nations during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Maybe Jacob is like the warden. So "protecting" the island may be about keeping MIB on it.

I like this idea, so basically when MIB says that "it's just an island" he's not lying, essentially what makes the island special is the game between MIB and Jacob. What makes the island special is that it's the only place that MIB can be kept to protect the world?

Production error. This was confirmed by Greg Nations during the week.

Wow. And after so much being read into it since it was spotted :D

One other thing, when the boy told MIB "you can't kill him". I thought that he was talking about Sawyer, so I personally feel that MIB/Smoke monster can't kill candidates.

From that, I'm thinking that the times we saw him appear to people and "judge" them he was checking to see if they were candidates, going back to their most vulnerable times and checking to see if they had met Jacob. Once he had figured out if they were candidates or not, he could kill them or not, seems to fit for Eko maybe?

Would explain why he killed the pilot but not Charlie, Jack or Kate in the Pilot episode. Would also explain why he let Locke live too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

i noticed that smokey doesn't seem to be able to travel from one location to another. he seems to project himself around the island but is anchored to where he initially turns into the monster. An example of this is when we see him search the Dharma village for Sawyer yet he returns to where he left his blade only to reform as Locke and head off to the village himself. Another example is when he kills the guys in the statue. The smoke monster somes out from a passage way, does the killing and then returns to the passageway before Locke can reappear.

if this is the case then i would imagine that where ever this "anchor" is at the time he turns into smokey is in fact his most vunerable point and may be exploited in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I think the kid saying you can't kill him was referring to Jacob - as in he couldn't just kill Jacob and that would be the end of it.

Of course this implies that they are bound by rules laid down by someone else.

It seems like a God/Devil type scenario in some ways. Jacob trying to prove that there are good people out there, people capable of taking over his role and Smokey trying to prove him wrong.

But Smokey doesn't seem to want part of it anymore. If Jacob found a suitable candidtate would he and Smokey be released? Smokey thought this would never happen and looked for the loophole to end the game prematurely.

Now he seems to need recruits to help him off the island? Or is he merely lying and using them for something else.

Is Smokey actually evil or is it Jacob that's been destroying people for his own gain?

In Locke's ALT timeline he's a much happier, more accepting man. Has he forgiven his father for pushing him out the window? Did this even happen? Jacob visited him right after he fell from the window but if there were no visits from Richard in his youth did Locke's life pan out the same way.

So, is Jacob's quest to find a suitable candidate laying waste to people's lives as Smokey suggested? Or, is there a greater good that he is trying to serve?

Interesting that when the Others made their lists and took survivors, none of them were candidates. What did they base their list on?

Draupnir wrote: »
    One other thing, when the boy told MIB "you can't kill him". I thought that he was talking about Sawyer, so I personally feel that MIB/Smoke monster can't kill candidates.

From that, I'm thinking that the times we saw him appear to people and "judge" them he was checking to see if they were candidates, going back to their most vulnerable times and checking to see if they had met Jacob. Once he had figured out if they were candidates or not, he could kill them or not, seems to fit for Eko maybe?

Would explain why he killed the pilot but not Charlie, Jack or Kate in the Pilot episode. Would also explain why he let Locke live too.

I was thinking the same about Eko. After Eko refused to ask forgiveness (for whatever it was Yemi was talking about, can't really remember), Jacob must have decided that Eko was not a suitable candidate. So Smokey was then allowed to kill him

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Interesting that when the Others made their lists and took survivors, none of them were candidates. What did they base their list on?

I guess those people were deemed to not be suitable to replace Jacob, so Jacob gave the list of their names to Richard/The Others so those people would be protected from Smokey.

I don't think you actually have to die to be crossed off the candidate list, just if they don't think you're worthy of replacing Jacob

• Advertisement

Interesting point. I didn't realise Charlie had been a candidate. I still think the kid was referring to Jacob when he said "you can't kill him". Although perhaps Smokey thought now with Jacob gone he could kill candidates.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    i noticed that smokey doesn't seem to be able to travel from one location to another. he seems to project himself around the island but is anchored to where he initially turns into the monster. An example of this is when we see him search the Dharma village for Sawyer yet he returns to where he left his blade only to reform as Locke and head off to the village himself. Another example is when he kills the guys in the statue. The smoke monster somes out from a passage way, does the killing and then returns to the passageway before Locke can reappear.

if this is the case then i would imagine that where ever this "anchor" is at the time he turns into smokey is in fact his most vunerable point and may be exploited in the future.

Another interesting point. Perhaps why Smokey seemed to 'live' in or under the Temple.

I'm wondering how Ben 'summoned' Smokey to clear out the mercenaries. How did he know he could do that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hyzepher wrote: »

Very interesting. This would explain why he didn't turn into smoke to chase after the kid. Might also add some credence to the idea that he was once held captive in the cabin while still being able to roam the island as the smoke monster.
    I like this. I was thinking something similar.
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    If what Draupnir said about Smokey not being able to kill candidates is correct, then perhaps the initial "lists" of people which the Others captured were non-candidates - people not safe from Smokey. The Others took them to the Temple to protect them.

I was thinking the same about Eko. After Eko refused to ask forgiveness (for whatever it was Yemi was talking about, can't really remember), Jacob must have decided that Eko was not a suitable candidate. So Smokey was then allowed to kill him

It's all about choice. Smokey couldn't make Richard come with him last week, and couldn't/wouldn't kill him (although I don't think Richard is a candidate) and had to talk Sawyer into it. He essentially tricks or forces candidates hands and if they fail he is then permitted to kill them.

I guess those people were deemed to not be suitable to replace Jacob, so Jacob gave the list of their names to Richard/The Others so those people would be protected from Smokey.

I don't think you actually have to die to be crossed off the candidate list, just if they don't think you're worthy of replacing Jacob

Interesting. I never thought of it that way. Although the Others seemed to enjoy an odd relationship with Smokey. They needed to be protected from him but Ben used him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Some very solid-sounding theories here. I especially like the one about Smokey having to use Sawyer to kill off the candidates before he can return home.

The whole angle of Jacob manipulating everyone's lives to get them to the island also gives so much more meaning, in hindsight, to the flashbacks of earlier series. From the time he met them, everything that occured was a ploy to land them all on Oceanic 815. This would fly in the face of Jacob's 'free will' philosophy and hint at him not being everything that he claims to stand for.

Great episode.

leggo wrote: »
    The whole angle of Jacob manipulating everyone's lives to get them to the island also gives so much more meaning, in hindsight, to the flashbacks of earlier series. From the time he met them, everything that occured was a ploy to land them all on Oceanic 815. This would fly in the face of Jacob's 'free will' philosophy and hint at him not being everything that he claims to stand for.
    Yeah, Jacob's dodgy notion of free will also fits very well with the Others' behaviour over the seasons. Ben always wanted people to choose/want to do something, even though the idea to do it usually originated with him. As Alex said, you think it's your idea but it's really his. Juliet seemed to have some understanding of this when she complained about free will in 3x01.

Tbh while I think Jacob still essentially represents good, him and MIB are probably as bad as each other. The series will probably end with our characters telling them both to f**k off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

ok go with me here what if the 'kid' is like a game/rule keeper. He appears as a kid 'cause this is what flocke recognises, and kids generally stick to the rules of a game(if you can remember back to your youth). I'm assuming that Sawyer saw him 'cause he is a candidate, possible the other candidates will see him in future episodes.

As for an Ilana or Richard fashback. I wouldn't expect them till nearer the end of the season. As I'm sure they may be used as a BIG reveal.

I'm wondering why Smokie didn't materialise as Locke at the Dhrama Camp?

If what Draupnir said about Smokey not being able to kill candidates is correct, then perhaps the initial "lists" of people which the Others captured were non-candidates - people not safe from Smokey. The Others took them to the Temple to protect them.

I think we could really be on to something here, what a fantastic storyline that would be too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

IF it's just an island how does it move ?

it seems to move physically as well as through time ? correct ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Just watched the episode this morning, very interesting. Although I didn't find the flash sideways to be as interesting as Kate's.

I'm glad Lost has gotten back to being great, I personally found season four and five very disappointing, but I'm hooked again! :D

• Advertisement

the_monkey wrote: »
    IF it's just an island how does it move ?

it seems to move physically as well as through time ? correct ??

It could be something to do with the electromagnetism, but on a show with time travel and smoke monsters, you have to suspend your belief a fair bit. While the producers try to explain lots of things, there will be some things that you just have to go with

Advertisement