Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US/IRL] 6x04 - "The Substitute" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

the_monkey wrote: »
    well i watched it earlier , i was sleepy..... ill watch it again later ...

I did like the off island stuff, but on island ... ???

maybe i missed it ... but i didn't feel any big reveals like i did last week...

I'll post back after watching again later with the girlfriend...

do i've watched it twice it's very good

big reveal, we found out why they were all "brought" to the island

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Holy cripes. THAT was the reason we watch lost and got hooked on it.

Amazing episode.

"why don't we get my parents and your dad and get married in Vegas"

So he has a good relationship with his father.

You know when Jack gave him the card I can't help but think he fixes Locke's spine and that's why he could walk after the crash, it has to be connected in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Excellent episode. The reason we watch lost. I cant believe someone prefered last weeks. Each to their own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Excellent episode, smokey-cam being one of the highlights for me. I am going to guess is that flockes plan is to make sawyer the new jacob, the idea being that the only way for flocke to leave the island is if jacob leaves with him. Also I am going to go out on a limb and say the kid is Aaron. Now to see just how wrong I got it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Really good episode about the first 3 wet fish ones,
    Delighted to find out about the numbers-even if thats only one reason for em which will no doubt be turned on its head
    Child must be Aaron-why would they go to the trouble of casting another blonde boy...to confuse us....probably so

Interesting that Rose still has her terminal illness
    Interesting that when Flocke and Richard were together only Flocke could see the child
    But when Sawyer decides to go with Flocke, they both see the child.....

Richards backstory next please, plus Flocke is right when he told Richard what sorta fools would blindly follow someones orders if they didnt know what they were for
    Nice touch throwing in the white rock to the sea-and the shot of Flocke in front of the white one, and Sawyer in front of the black rock

I think we are in for some entire off island episodes to speed up the alt-flash sideways arc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Really cool episode. So much to think about, lots of stuff revealed about the smoke monster, the numbers, must watch it again. The acting and script was great throughout, really liked all the scenes with Locke in his alt reality and between Sawyer and fake Locke. Surprised that Sawyer was told the answer to why they came to the island in this episode, usually we would have to wait a few more episodes.

Fake Locke seemed scared when he saw that kid tell him he can't break the rules (how did he trip over by the way, seemed like a clumsy thing to do). It also appears he doesn't want to go home to the temple, but the real world, unless he is just tricking Sawyer. Illana's comment that he can no longer take on the appearance of anyone else too. Lots of little reveals of information like that.

Lapitus's "weirdest funeral" remark was hilarious.

Solid episode, hope they can keep to this standard up now for the rest of the season.

Saw this on another site:

The known survivors and corresponding numbers are:
    4: Locke
    8: Reyes
    15: Ford
    16: Jarrah
    23: Shephard
    42: Kwon

Also easily legible are the following (amongst many more names not yet deciphered).
    10: Mattingley
    222: O'Toole
    233: Jones
    291: Domingo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

This is the standard Im expecting for the rest of the season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

me thinks the kid is some incarnation of aaron

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Really good episode. FLocke not knowing everything is interesting. Aaaron was left in the states right?

Nice that Sun was the one who thought of giving John a proper burial.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

Great episode! This season has been brilliant so far imo.

I'll second that. It's really gathering momentum towards what I expect will be an epic finale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Good episode. It's strange seeing the new skittish Richard with his permanent look of pure terror. He must have some serious bad blood with fake Locke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nirvana0506

the_monkey wrote: »
    im surprised ... i gave it a 5 ....

I liked the off island stuff but nothing much revealed on island,
    you can see the writers thinking of more secluded places ....

"just stick a cave in the cliff...."

+ the numbers ,, don't think it really explains them ...

they were still the numbers on the hatch and the numbers that
    needed to be entered ever 108 minutes....
    don't see the connection ....

gave it a 5 ...

actually thought last weeks was a lot better...

no ya have it the wrong way around. stuff happend on the island, notting much in the flash sideways. and if the flash sideways dont go anywhere we are gonna be left with 2 endings to the same show.

the numbers were on the hatch because the hatch brought flight 815 to the island and the people 4,8,15,16,23,42 were on flight 815.

so now do u see the connection??

and again wrong with sayin last week was better cos it wasnt. no way! notting major happened untill the last 10mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

i kinda wish i gave it a 10 now... been thinking about it all day.. I'm seriously going to miss this show.

Something I'm really looking forward to now is if we'll see Christain anymore. A lot of people believed he was MIB tooo but since he can't change this will either confirm he is or isn't.

i've seen a lot of theorys that Aaron is the boy but at the moment i seriously can't see how thats the case. I'm just going to stick with a new character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

The two stones on the scales brought me right back to the first series, in fact I think it was the Pilot Part 2? Locke showing Walt the backgammon pieces and talking about how it was a game between light and dark.

Epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Draupnir wrote: »
    The two stones on the scales brought me right back to the first series, in fact I think it was the Pilot Part 2? Locke showing Walt the backgammon pieces and talking about how it was a game between light and dark.

Epic.

Two players, one is light, one is dark.

b9vfl4b63nhar7k2OIyV7yajo1_500.jpg

Superb stuff, this is why I watch this show. Fond memories of 2004-2010.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent episode and I like the fact we're getting some more concrete information (as much as you ever do in "Lost").

Regarding the numbers though - umm is it really as simple as seat numbers? Wasn't there a lot more to them and why they added up to 108?

Wondering now if !Locke (I hate the name Flocke) was telling us that this isn't about "good vs evil" when he threw the white rock away as an "inside joke". Maybe it's deeper, presumably to do with choices (hence "you cannot tell me what to do").

ixoy wrote: »
    Regarding the numbers though - umm is it really as simple as seat numbers? Wasn't there a lot more to them and why they added up to 108? .

Don't think it's as simple as purely seat numbers anyway, Jack sat in row 23 (corresponds with the number in the cave), but Locke sat in 24D (in the cave he was 4), while Reyes sat in 20G and 20H (in the cave he was 8). Source.

From Lostpedia
    It has been revealed in The Lost Experience that these six numbers are the core values of the Valenzetti Equation, a mathematical formula designed to predict the end of humanity. The numbers in actuality are said to represent human and environmental factors in the equation (given numerical form), though their precise meaning is uncertain. One purpose of the DHARMA Initiative was to change the factors leading to humanity's demise, which will be indicated by an alteration in at least one of the human/environmental factors - i.e. the numbers. However, in all its years of research, the Initiative failed to reach its goal. Despite much research and manipulation of the equation's values, the end result was always the numbers.

In an interview with E! in 2009, Damon stated the following in regards to the Numbers: "Here's the story with numbers. The Hanso Foundation that started the Dharma Initiative hired this guy Valenzetti to basically work on this equation to determine what was the probability of the world ending in the wake of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Valenzetti basically deduced that it was 100 percent within the next 27 years, so the Hanso Foundation started the Dharma Initiative in an effort to try to change the variables in the equation so that mankind wouldn't wipe it itself out."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

what was the reason Des was late in pushing the buttons? Was it the time he followed the other guy outside and killed him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

what was the reason Des was late in pushing the buttons? Was it the time he followed the other guy outside and killed him?

Yes.

Just remembered there, the noise of AR Locke's alarm clock is the exact same as the noise of the hatch countdown alarm when the numbers weren't entered in time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

abelard wrote: »
    Locke: "John Locke, substitute."

Now you've highlighted it that line appears far more significant!
    rpo wrote: »
    A young Jacob ?

Is Kate the only one Jacob appears to in the flashbacks that doesn't seem to be a candidate ?

I think so...and probably cos she is a thieving bast*rd.

I think the kid is Jacob too......or Matt Damon.

I think so...and probably cos she is a thieving bast*rd.
    Well, Sayid & Sawyer have killed people as has Kate. I don't think their criminal records come into it.

I'm still trying to get to grips with a theory I'm attempting to formulate to connect the keying in of the numbers and their repective connections to the numbers assigned to the characters.

And failing miserably, I might add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I thought that was great. Waaaaaaaaaaaay better than the last episode. I love this show. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Well, Sayid & Sawyer have killed people as has Kate. I don't think their criminal records come into it.

I'm still trying to get to grips with a theory I'm attempting to formulate to connect the keying in of the numbers and their repective connections to the numbers assigned to the characters.

And failing miserably, I might add.

Didn't Locke tell Sawyer that Jacob manipulated their lives to get them to the island?So Jacob assigns them numbers(for whatever reason) and everything else is based on that.Because Jacob just has that kind of power?Plus he is sh*t cool.

The Kate/bast*rd comment was a throwaway jokey one....probably not best placed in a Lost thread.

Didn't Locke tell Sawyer that Jacob manipulated their lives to get them to the island?So Jacob assigns them numbers(for whatever reason) and everything else is based on that.Because Jacob just has that kind of power?Plus he is sh*t cool.
    I get that he has assigned them numbers. But why are these the same numbers typed into the computer to diffuse the electromagnetic energy?
    Why did they win Hurley the lottery?
    etc.

edit: I hate Kate. She adds nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Interesting that they buried Locke beside the remains of his old sweat lodge.

I took this photo in August as filming was restarting - great to see it feature again in S6! :D The mounds of earth were there allright - no crosses that time though.

MtM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

tok9 wrote: »
    i kinda wish i gave it a 10 now... been thinking about it all day.. I'm seriously going to miss this show.
    QUOTE]

Don't worry ... there will be plenty of spin offs....

like Star Trek there will be new seasons with new characters....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

That was awesome. I could have predicted as much just going by the previous on Lost alone.

I loved the panning scene from Smokeys pov. I think SP is right, there is definitely elements of Locke coming through. The numbers reveal is interesting to say the least. What about those such as Kate who isn't on the list. How did Dharma know about them?
    Oh, I also loved the scene with the stones, "inside joke" lol nice.

On the alternative timeline. They are still aren't really doing it for me. I know Darlton hate the alt word as they don't want any idea that this timeline is any less important, but of course it absolutely is. We have spent 5 years dedicated to one timeline and 3-4 episodes on the other. It just not going to matter as much. Now, in saying this I did enjoy this one much more but I just wanted to go back to Esau. It was very poignant seeing Locke smiling in staff room while getting buried. He thought he would be happy on the island, if only he knew.

1 other point. I'm really pissed about the lack of Desmond. He has had about 5 scenes in the last 12 episodes, so criminally underused. I am not quite sure how he can be used in the main story either.

Still, despite complaints. It's well worthy of a 9.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

cooker3 wrote: »
    1 other point. I'm really pissed about the lack of Desmond. He has had about 5 scenes in the last 12 episodes, so criminally underused. I am not quite sure how he can be used in the main story either.
    Yeah, Cusick is no longer a series regular, so we are probably going to see even less of him than we did last season. He was technically a guest star in the premiere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Solid 9 from me, I like the Flash sideways bits as we still have the original Locke that we all loved, I suppose we will see how he ended up in the wheelchair in a future episode and he will hook up with Jack.

Advertisement