Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Correct!

HTC has had this rom for a while now. (nexus one). This gives them a time advantage over other Manufacturers .

The Sense UI has been already leaked.

So....its just a matter of sticking these two together & putting it on their website i think, unless they are bound but some agreement. Then again is is open source. Anyone can do what they like with it now.

I would be surprised if they havent got the final release candidate tested already.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

iknorr wrote: »
    Correct!

HTC has had this rom for a while now. (nexus one). This gives them a time advantage over other Manufacturers .

The Sense UI has been already leaked.

So....its just a matter of sticking these two together & putting it on their website i think, unless they are bound but some agreement. Then again is is open source. Anyone can do what they like with it now.

I would be surprised if they havent got the final release candidate tested already.

rumours it is due today - others say January 22nd.

I wonder where u got those rumours from ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Probably from some spotty teenagers blog... or else from the blog that the teenager got it from...

Oh tis urself at it again....

• Advertisement

Something I've discovered recently is the lack of euro symbol on the keyboard... has effected me in a few different apps...

i think theyr working on a new keyboard, not sure of any details of symbols but the input method (option) will be different from what we are using now. I also dont know if it will be out with 2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭breeno

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Something I've discovered recently is the lack of euro symbol on the keyboard... has effected me in a few different apps...

On the keyboard press the '12#' button on the bottom row

Then on the bottom row towards the left press the '1/2' button beside the space bar and you'll find € there and Robert is your mothers brother
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

right so I chanced my sim card from o2 in my Hero (which is on meteor) yesterday and it came up no bother, calls and txts I can make no hastle. Yet, it doesnt allow me to access the internet?

Is there anyway I can get around this? Do I have to get it unlocked? how much would it cost if I do?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

thehamo wrote: »
    right so I chanced my sim card from o2 in my Hero (which is on meteor) yesterday and it came up no bother, calls and txts I can make no hastle. Yet, it doesnt allow me to access the internet?

Is there anyway I can get around this? Do I have to get it unlocked? how much would it cost if I do?

Cheers.

if you dont change the APN settings to match your carrier I doubt it will ever work..

• Advertisement

are the apn settings not just for wireless? I thought since its 3g prepay (on 02) that it would just be under mobile network data settings and make sure the network provider is o2 ireland? no?

Cheers.
    You just need to download the O2 APN, if your O2 sim is working,then your phone id not locked.

are the apn settings not just for wireless? I thought since its 3g prepay (on 02) that it would just be under mobile network data settings and make sure the network provider is o2 ireland? no?

nope sorry

sweet got that working there. Happy days, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ornir

I'm looking to buy the Hero on Meteor prepay. The lads in the Meteor store were saying that some of the apps automatically update from the internet, even when you're not in range of Wi-fi, and that there's no way to turn this off. Is this true? Or were they just trying to get me onto a contract with a data add-on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

You can stop any apps from auto-updating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Ornir wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy the Hero on Meteor prepay. The lads in the Meteor store were saying that some of the apps automatically update from the internet, even when you're not in range of Wi-fi, and that there's no way to turn this off. Is this true? Or were they just trying to get me onto a contract with a data add-on?
    It's true. Ish. There's an app you can get on the market called APNDroid that will turn off mobile data, so the apps can't update themselves. I use my Android phone on prepay, just switch on data when I want it (which is rarely)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Nice one! Cheers! Didn't want to get tied up in another contract with them. Happy days! :D

You can stop any apps from auto-updating.
    Not really. If you download an app which asks for full network access, runs in the background, and doesn't provide an option for turning off updates, there's no way to block it without disabling mobile data completely. Maybe with a firewall app, if there's one for Android

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    It's true. Ish. There's an app you can get on the market called APNDroid that will turn off mobile data, so the apps can't update themselves. I use my Android phone on prepay, just switch on data when I want it (which is rarely)

hold on hold on.
    when an app has an update in the market it will tell you with an icon on the notification bar.
    NOTHING will UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY.
    you have to go in the market app and start the update.

the only updates that are deployed automatically after you ignore them for a certain amount of time are the system updates deployed OTA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

you don't even need to download an app to turn off mobile data, you can do it from the settings and/or using the HTC "mobile network" (data on/off) widget on your home screen.

nmesisca wrote: »
    hold on hold on.
    when an app has an update in the market it will tell you with an icon on the notification bar.
    NOTHING will UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY.
    you have to go in the market app and start the update.

the only updates that are deployed automatically after you ignore them for a certain amount of time are the system updates deployed OTA.
    Update is the wrong term, I just used it as that's what Ornir used, to make it clear to them. It was meant in the 'Sync' sense, as in the data associated with the app can update automatically, not the app itself

IH77 wrote: »
    you don't even need to download an app to turn off mobile data, you can do it from the settings and/or using the HTC "mobile network" (data on/off) widget on your home screen.
    My bad, don't have the Hero (have the Samsung Galaxy Spica), so no HTC goodness, just the base Android system

Update is the wrong term, I just used it as that's what Ornir used, to make it clear to them. It was meant in the 'Sync' sense, as in the data associated with the app can update automatically, not the app itself

Yeah, I meant sync as opposed to update. The lads in the shop were basically saying that if I bought the Hero on prepay, my credit would be eaten up with apps synching.

Ornir wrote: »
    Yeah, I meant sync as opposed to update. The lads in the shop were basically saying that if I bought the Hero on prepay, my credit would be eaten up with apps synching.

we are really talking KB though.. your credit wont be going anywhere for that only..

PS im on vodafone prepay 3G all day long. and i can quantify in cents.

we are really talking KB though.. your credit wont be going anywhere for that only..
    Depends on the app. And on prepay it's 1 cent per KB (up to 99KB, then free up to 50MB), so you could easily be using 99c a day

PS im on vodafone prepay 3G all day long. and i can quantify in cents.

Cool, I'll go ahead with that so. Plus Meteor don't charge more than 99c per day for data usage for X amount of MB so It wouldn't affect me all that much. I reckon they were just trying to get a contract outta me.

Cheers:)

Depends on the app. And on prepay it's 1 cent per KB (up to 99KB, then free up to 50MB), so you could easily be using 99c a day

no it doesnt depend on the app at all.
    all synch does is saying 'this app has an update available' be it Copilot or tellyzap.

i use more about 5MB per day. and deffo not spending 1euro per day.

there is an option to turn off the auto sync anway so it doesnt automatically sync anything. in the sttings-data synchronization

• Advertisement

no it doesnt depend on the app at all.
    all synch does is saying 'this app has an update available' be it Copilot or tellyzap.

i use more about 5MB per day. and deffo not spending 1euro per day.
    Yes it does, you're not understanding what we're talking about. It's not about checking whether there is a new app version available. Take the Gmail app for example. If you allow it to sync in the background, it will check your gmail account, and download any new emails it finds. Obviously, the amount of data it will download will depend on how many new emails it is syncing. And different apps will have different requirements for how much data they will need.

Link to Vodafone's pricing: Vodafone Mobile Internet.
    You can get Mobile Internet and email at our standard rate of €0.99 per day, whether you're on Prepay or Pay Monthly. And if you use less than 0.5MB, you only pay for the pages you use.
    You either have a data add-on, or you're talking about Prepay Mobile Broadband, which is a different issue

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement