Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Monday 11th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

By the way Cork Airport was shut until 2pm today yet it didn't even get a mention on the rte news (I mean the dublin news)

Yes it did. :rolleyes: They were reporting on Cork Airport for about 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

MB1380 wrote: »
    Heres a few pics from macroom this morning. Headed to work in cork then where the sun was shining all day. Back home and there is a thick fog which hasent lifted all day.
    [IMG]http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm475/MNCchop/DSCF0222 copy.jpg[/IMG]

DSCF0202.jpg
    DSCF0183.jpg

excellent shots, of some very familiar spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Morelike, Risque de pluie :(
    ou risque du frustration

By the way, the GFS indicates that Galway/Mayo (inland) are most likely to see snowfall for the longest period tomorrow.

Either way wherever snow falls tomorrow, in the main it will be shortlived and replaced by sleet/rain. The issue really is the flood risk: the impact of heavy rain falling on frozen surfaces in south, and heavy rain coupled with a thaw in areas that have experienced heavy snow in recent days. Driving conditions may very well be precarious tomorrow morning in the south and people need to be prepared for localised flooding and/or black ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MB1380

GavinH wrote: »
    excellent shots, of some very familiar spots.

Thanks, conditions werent the best with the fog. heres one of the square.
    DSCF0222copy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Ok, here's my forecast for tomorrow.
    Carlow, Portlaoise, Kildare will all have lying snow for at least an hour tomorrow.
    Dublin will see at least falling snow for an hour, though it pbly wont lie.

And yes SA Cork will see rain and likely floods, though I would add at least another day before the flooding risk as ground frozen a foot down wont thaw that quickly. Wednesday will be the flood day after the rain has passed

What you must consider JS is that rainfall will not be able to soak downwards into the soil tomorrow because it is so frozen. Therefore, with percolation not very possible, ponding and surface water pooling will be more significant than usual, with flooding occuring more easily & rapidly than usual because of this.

• Advertisement

11 January 2010 16:59

Today Any remaining showers will die out this evening with clear spells following.
    Tonight

Temperatures will fall to between +2 and -2 degrees early tonight with frost and icy patches inland. Any frost will be gone by morning as wet and windy weather extends from the southwest. hr.gif

Tomorrow

Heavy rain tomorrow over Munster and south Leinster with some local flooding and winds gusting to 100 km/h. Highest temperatures here 5 to 8 degrees. Cold, cloudy and windy elsewhere tomorrow with scattered outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow and highest temperatures only 1 to 4 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

Is there any truth that Trent killed the snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Snowaddict wrote: »
    What you must consider JS is that rainfall will not be able to soak downwards into the soil tomorrow because it is so frozen. Therefore, with percolation not very possible, ponding and surface water pooling will be more significant than usual, with flooding occuring more easily & rapidly than usual because of this.

True, that's a good point

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

By the way Cork Airport was shut until 2pm today yet it didn't even get a mention on the rte news (I mean the dublin news)

You're mad! They had the chief exec of Cork Airport on the news and talked about it (Cork Airport) for a few minutes. What more do you want?

Your problem isn't altitude there, it's attitude.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    You're mad! They had the chief exec of Cork Airport on the news and talked about it (Cork Airport) for a few minutes. What more do you want?

Your problem isn't altitude there, it's attitude.

I see must have missed it so, sorry

• Advertisement

Temperature didn;t rise above freezing today. However, there was a slight thaw but nothing significant

It was overcast all day.

I doubt that there was anywhere below 300 metres today that did not see a thaw. Thankfully it is a slow thaw so far as this diminishes the risk of flooding. The worrying thing is that 45-55mm forecast for tomorrow will lead to serious localised flooding in places, irrespective of a thaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Graphics fail there with Gerry Murphy.

Sounds like the apocalypse is coming for the south and south east.

Poor Gerry. I have done some graphics up from him for the nine o'clock weather just in case their commodore 64 computer system is still broken.
    weather_chart13.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

MB1380 wrote: »
    Thanks, conditions werent the best with the fog. heres one of the square.
    DSCF0222copy.jpg

Yes had recognised it too. Don't know why it didn't show in my reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Graphics fail there with Gerry Murphy.

Sounds like the apocalypse is coming for the south and south east.

Met Eireann would be more reliable if they had no graphics, weather stations, sats, and staff on an ongoing basis.

Murphy (the donkey) and his severe flooding. We'll see.

Met Eireann would be more reliable if they had no graphics, weather stations, sats, and staff on an ongoing basis.

Murphy (the donkey) and his severe flooding. We'll see.

the poor fellow. he did very well to carry that off. I would guess the graphics went just seconds before he went live. He was very professional. Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Seems a lot of things are breaking at the moment, the cold weather, the Shannon radar constantly and now the Met Eireann TV graphics.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    the poor fellow. he did very well to carry that off. I would guess the graphics went just seconds before he went live. He was very professional. Fair play to him.

I just still havn't got over yesterday. From a Dublin perspective if we hadn't got the Saturday night snow (which ME hadn't spotted), and then suffered yesterdays disaster, it would have been too much!

You can't build up hops like they did.

I just still havn't got over yesterday. From a Dublin perspective if we hadn't got the Saturday night snow (which ME hadn't spotted), and then suffered yesterdays disaster, it would have been too much!

oops hopes.

they are not in the business of building up one's hopes. I think you are confusing them with the Samaritans.

But you are right about them getting things somewhat wrong for the east coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Looks like there has been a Big thaw in the Wicklow mountains, I just saw it on Nationwide... something about Wicklow emigrants who had returned to live on islands in the Mountains... some Dublin guy was looking after them.

Anyone down that way know how they are getting on with the cold snap?

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    they are not in the business of building up one's hopes. I think you are confusing them with the Samaritans.

But you are right about them getting things somewhat wrong for the east coast.

It's all about the perception of the recipient of the forecast in my view:)

snow ghost wrote: »
    Looks like there has been a Big thaw in the Wicklow mountains, I just saw it on Nationwide... something about Wicklow emigrants who had returned to live on islands in the Mountains... some Dublin guy was looking after them.

Anyone down that way know how they are getting on with the cold snap?
    Ask supercell about the thaw up there :)
    There was a slight thaw on croghan mtn today alright I'm told but it's still several feet deep up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Ask supercell about the thaw up there :)
    There was a slight thaw on croghan mtn today alright I'm told but it's still several feet deep up there.

Does supercell live on one of those islands Black Briar? :D

The back roads are lethal in cork tonight - loads reporting on local radio station.
    Frozen solid here aswell on foot, ther could well be a period of freezing rain in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Well the thaw in south Meath has ended abruptly and the cold spell is back with a vengence. Little did I expect to come out of the office at 7pm to find all the remaining deep slush frozen solid and to have to hack away at ice on the car. The N3 is covered in black ice, it's the worst I've seen this winter, and Lucan village is so bad it's difficult to get traction to get moving. I dont know where all that cold air came from all of a sudden. In contrast here in Terenure it 1.3 degrees, the roads appear to be fine, and everyone is saying to me 'Ice, what ice? Haven't you noticed the thaw, are you going mad..'

I fancy there could be a bit of snow in Meath when the storm from the south meets this sudden balst of cold air :)

BB, SA any thoughts on when your thaw is coming?
    NRA.ie is showing vast majority of roads freezing hard.
    2 serious crashes on previously gritted main roads here tonight, one near Mallow & one near Watergrasshill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

2 serious crashes on previously gritted main roads here tonight, one near Mallow & one near Watergrasshill

Most of the roads I drove on this evening had grit on them, but it didn't seem to be making a damn of a difference, they were all skating rinks, until I got to the N4 and M50 which where grand (but I think that was because I'd crossed the boundary between the cold and warm air). Maybe they are using the wrong type of grit (or just spreading gravel, it looked very coarse, even pebbly)

mad DIY wrote: »
    Most of the roads I drove on this evening had grit on them, but it didn't seem to be making a damn of a difference, they were all skating rinks, until I got to the N4 and M50 which where grand (but I think that was because I'd crossed the boundary between the cold and warm air). Maybe they are using the wrong type of grit (or just spreading gravel, it looked very coarse, even pebbly)

I think it's just that Dublin has milder air over it than a lot of the country
    I mean there's a southerly force 5 wind here and i just heard the roads around cobh are like glass, and cobh is as coastal as you can get
    Ground frozen a foot down will take alot of thawing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

how serious was the crash in mallow and where? is it rathduff you mean?

Advertisement