Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

For the sake of credibility and people saying lets call a spade a spade - BBC called this correctly and before everyone, days in advance. Don't just give credit where credit is due. Write to RTE radio1 and newstalk and todayfm and actually tell them that the BBC predicted in the no nonsense way they do that we weren't going to be battered; as predicted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Not sure whats falling here now, rain, snow, it keeps changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

last bit of tonight.

video of driving in the drifts bit shacky as was holding it with one hand while driving with the other

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj191/1gazza/?action=view&current=VIDEO_023.flv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I'm noticing that an increase in the usual "what will such and such a route be like in the morning" or "will it be ok to drive on a route in the snow" questions are starting to appear. So I'll give my own little piece of wisdom which comes from my own personal experiences and spending a hell of a lot of time behind the wheel of a vehicle in all weather conditions.

Driving on fresh snow doesn't present any major problems.

A 4wd vehicle can be as bad as a 2wd vehicle if the driver doesn't understand how their transmission system operates and how and when to engage the various options. Read the manual may sound obvious but so many people don't understand how to engage the systems correctly or when to. The owners manual goes some way to address this.

Stopping distance is dramatically increased but directional stability is typically better than on ice and tyre tread can be a governing factor also.

A person with fresh tyres with a wide gap in the tread will fair much better than some one with more worn tyres or narrow gaps in the tread.

Tyres with good tread depth = better chance of keeping traction.

Tyres with poor tread depth = better chance of loosing traction.

If you lose traction going uphill, back down a little way before trying again and try to keep a nice steady constant speed up before you hit the slippy patch. Keep in a reasonably high gear and lowish revs to help avoid wheel spin. If you do find yourself slippng backwards it can often be helpful to put the vehicle into reverse gear to help regain tractions and hence directional control.

Caution is naturally required when driving in the conditions the weather has presented us with, use the brake as little as possible, plan manouvers well ahead of time, gentle changes in direction and engine braking will all help to keep you between the ditches.

Most of all though time will be the main thing to take account of. If you think you have enough time planned for your journey then chances are that you dont. Add at least 50% and more where you can. Remember that a heck of a lot of people will realise a huge amount of extra time will be required so will all leave erarly therefore the morning rush hour will start earlier and be prolonged.

A good tip is that if you can hear the snow crunching beneth your tyres then you are in a pretty good situation and it is not too compacted. If you can't hear the snow beneth your tyres its either well compacted and a real danger of loss of traction exists or you're simply driving too fast. Same thing for slush, as long as you can hear the noise you're doing ok. Opening the window a crack will be a great aid to listening for these sounds.

Bring warm spare clothing with you. A hat and gloves are of great benefit to have in reserve. That way if you do get stuck you will always have something warm and dry to change into. Cold hands are pretty useless to work with, try working a mobile phone when your hands are freezing, hence the gloves. A heck of a lot of body heat is lost through the head too, hence the hat. A sugary drink is always good to help keep energy levels up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just as i mention the temp fall in Howth it rised .5c :D

That means im calling it quits for the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Joe Bastardi indicates the return to the norm as well but hints at another cold spell in February.

Why does this guy hold credence in his views of the weather ? Some of his reasoning seems lol ridiculous in that post!

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

opr wrote: »
    Why does this guy hold credence in his views of the weather ? Some of his reasoning seems lol ridiculous in that post!

Opr
    I know Opr. Some of the stuff he says is odd to say the least. He is invariably right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Havent seen a drop of snow in Limerick since this afternoon. Was raining lightly around 8pm though.

It was about 0 degrees then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

http://www.radarvirtuel.com/

One of the more interesting sites I have come across in a while is the above showing flights over Europe. It was interesting to see the drop in activity when dublin and cork airports closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Joe Bastardi indicates the return to the norm as well but hints at another cold spell in February.

Well deep in FI, GFS is hinting at the weather turning colder again towards the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

first post all day,was to gutted to see snow gone this morning when i got up,gud to hear everybody else got some,fingers crossed for Tues,lets be positive after all its still early January,cheers for that site (meteociel.com)wlofeIRE,will keep eye on dat

Still snowing here, so it be heading your way some point after it re fuels in the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I'm off to bed. Been one of the best (if not the best?) snowfall I can remember here in Cork today. Its melting on branches at the mo but it is still snowing! Thats basically 12 hrs straight! I know today didn't happen for most of you but then again most of ye get it every year. Tis rare indeed down here. My thoughts are with those who got nothing during this spell - I think Galway city may have missed out - keep the faith for next time as if Cork city can get a decent dumping, anywhere can.....

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Sorry what's the update for Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Ok gang,

I've an early start in the morning so I'll be putting the head down now.

Still snowing decently here in West Limerick, pity I won't be able to enjoy it from now on :rolleyes:

I'm very happy with what has arrived, I could never imagine it snowing non-stop for 13.5 hours and no sign of stopping :eek:

Will check in again at some stage tomorrow and give an update on what ever part of the country I'll be in.

G'nite all, enjoy the snow if you have it. Hope you get snow if it hasn't arrived with you yet.

Have fun, stay safe.

Tac.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Tactical wrote: »
    Ok gang,

I've an early start in the morning so I'll be putting the head down now.

Still snowing decently here in West Limerick, pity I won't be able to enjoy it from now on :rolleyes:

Not snowing in Limerick suburbs though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 pocketfluff

No more snow for swords I don't think :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Watching this thread has been like taking drugs.

The first while was all build up, then it happened as bit, which was great, thought it would better, sleet now and not that cold, now we're coming down.

High on low temperature...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Still snowing and probably at it's heaviest now in South East Tipp,10hrs now,only about 3 inches but worth waiting for 3 weeks. Nothing like night time snow walks in the countryside and this brings back '82 memories but snowwise of course dandruff in comparison to that year but still it's most enjoyable and much more so than the ice and sleet crap that we have had for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

further to Tactical's post about driving in snow, a tip I was given by a Canadian woman...

keep a couple of "tea-light" candles in your car somewhere... in the event of being stuck overnight in your car in the snow, lighting one in the car can mean the temperature difference between life and death.

Not tried it... I'm from Yorkshire - we just got out and walked...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Snow lying here is melting fast with heavy sleet falling. temp 1.3c. On high ground though, this is prob falling as snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Snow still falling here in Cork, but it is quite wet. It is now -1*C.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

snowing in galway city at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

opr wrote: »

Opr

probably because he was the only one to forsee this cold spell happening. unlike the uk met office, which in it's predictions for this winter some time back, indicated it would be a mild winter overall with no noticeable cold periods.

further to Tactical's post about driving in snow, a tip I was given by a Canadian woman...

keep a couple of "tea-light" candles in your car somewhere... in the event of being stuck overnight in your car in the snow, lighting one in the car can mean the temperature difference between life and death.

Not tried it... I'm from Yorkshire - we just got out and walked...

And if stuck and the car is running to keep u warm make sure u clear the exshurst pipe every now and again or the fumes can kill you

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

I'm off to bed. Been one of the best (if not the best?) snowfall I can remember here in Cork today. Its melting on branches at the mo but it is still snowing! Thats basically 12 hrs straight! I know today didn't happen for most of you but then again most of ye get it every year. Tis rare indeed down here. My thoughts are with those who got nothing during this spell - I think Galway city may have missed out - keep the faith for next time as if Cork city can get a decent dumping, anywhere can.....

No need for the sympathy rebel, its snowing as we speak here, and while we didn't get vast amounts of snow, we didn't miss out either. Otherwise, I think the snowball fight that took place in the estate across from the house this afternoon would've been a lot less enthusiastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

probably because he was the only one to forsee this cold spell happening. unlike the uk met office, which in it's predictions for this winter some time back, indicated it would be a mild winter overall with no noticeable cold periods.

they should've looked at the amount of berries on the trees in Sept/October then - fools.

Blackthorns round here were groaning under the largest amount of sloes I've ever seen - ditto rowan and hawthorn berries = hard winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Look at how quick that Atlantic Low/Front is steaming in. Not far off the Cork/Kerry coast now.

www.sat24.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Still snowing here, no sign of it stopping yet :D
    4 inches or so lying.

0c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Lashing rain.... :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement