Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

aine-maire wrote: »
    The Kite Runner is brilliant, loved it!

Also amazing is the Book Thief....I cried lol :o

Haven't got time to finish tkr and I'm half way thru... ****ing LC:mad::o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

Almost finished High Fidelity by Nick Hornby and about to start on either The Secret History by Donna Tartt or The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Worst book ever. Can't understand the hype. I know the circumstances under which it was written are amazin g but it's incredibly boring

It didn't make much of an impression on me when I read it in Primary school but 6/7 years later, second time around, I found it gripping. Know what you mean about the boringness though, but knowing the outcome, it just made it all the more tense for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Just finished The End of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas. Its ok. Starts off promising but gets a bit farcical. Borrows heavily from Quantum Leap and the Matrix and the ending is dreadful. This leads me to not recommend it to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Twilight saga............. mister edward mc dreamy...
    Such a good romance novel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

tatabubbly wrote: »
    Get Out

Get Out
    Sorry! But other books i read recently include Bill Bysons, A short history of everything. Quite enjoyable book but gets quite science-y in places

Sorry! But other books i read recently include Bill Bysons, A short history of everything. Quite enjoyable book but gets quite science-y in places
    Now your talking!:D

Now your talking!:D

Also, if one is interested in buckministerfullerines, I highly recommend "The most beautiful molecule in the world" Hugh Aldersey-Williams. Brill book

Also, if one is interested in buckministerfullerines, I highly recommend "The most beautiful molecule in the world" Hugh Aldersey-Williams. Brill book
    You've still admitted to liking Twilight though and said the words ''McDreamy''

For Shame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Recently read the 4 "Nightwatch" books by Lukyanenko, quite possibly among the best things I've ever read, can't explain exactly what it was about them but couldn't put them down.

Other than that read "The Mis-Education Years" by Ross O' Carrol-Kelly and loved it, that was actually quite a while ago but haven't been reading huge amounts for ages anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i love them too.

and he aint mcdreamy!
    mcdreamys greys anatomy...they dont compare

especially since people just think edward is rob pattison
    shudder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Skally-wag

Just read the Kiterunner, and A Thousand Splendid Suns, both by Khaled Hosseini. Loved the kiterunner, really was the best book I've read in ages. A thousand splendid suns is another great one too, especially interesting as it focuses more on the woman's perspective in Afghanistan.

Reading the Twilight books now. I love them. Don't judge me. I was really sceptical about them initially and only decided to read them after endless persuasion from my friend. What can I say, i'm hooked. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I just finished 1984. I feel quite empty inside.

Next I'm reading a book of mantras I found in my dad's room (Containing interviews with George Harrison, apparently). After that, a clockwork orange or trainspotting.

The week before that I read the latest Ross O'Carroll Kelly, and Crist what a downer. Those books aren't meant to be sad or thought provoking, they're supposed to be a bit of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm reading Jane Eyre at the moment. I'm going through a bit of a Victorian Chic-Lit stage. The last two books I read were Wuthering Heights (beautiful, beautiful book) and Pride and Prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

rarrr for trudi!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I'm reading a few books. The most recent one I started is "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell", I can't decide if I like or not yet, I don't really like the Mr. Norrell character, and I find it hard to read a book with a character that I dislike. I'm also reading a Tom Waits biography, it's very good, I love him! I'm also readinig some German kids books because I wanna learn german.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

'We need to talk about Kevin'

Fantastic book, very funny for such a touchy subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Recently read the 4 "Nightwatch" books by Lukyanenko, quite possibly among the best things I've ever read, can't explain exactly what it was about them but couldn't put them down.

*le sigh*, I've read the first three and wasn't particularly taken with them, but now that I know the 4th one's out I'll have to buy it. I hate my compulsion to finish any series I start...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

phasers wrote: »
    I just finished 1984. I feel quite empty inside.

I felt fantastic after reading it. (
    The ending was so depressing it was wonderful. I love books/movies with horrible depressing endings!
    )

Last night I started a reading log to try and motivate me to read more. I'm currently reading The Godfather by Mario Puzo. So far, so good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Iam reading russal brands " BOOKY WOOKY"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dmullar

Just started "The basic eight" by daniel handler last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

^^ Stephen King... Fair play.

I am reading "A prisoner of birth" by Jeffery Archer.

Pretty epic, anyone who is unsure about CAO, don't read this, cause you will want to do Law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand.

Interesting book. A lot of people dont like it because they disagree with the central arguments (that people are completely dependant on others for the way they live, and we all should be individualist), but when judged on how well it portrays this central theme then it is good.

I just got a collection of Tolstoy's short stories today (about 55 or so in all), so I'm going to dig into that over summer; the aim is to finish reading them all before August - so that'll be fun. First up is Family Happiness, looks pretty interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Got Sagans Cosmos from the library the other day. A few pages in and enjoying it so far. Haven't had much time to read recently though.

Bought Howard Marks' Mr.Nice today and am looking forward to it.
    There was a book about maths in general in easons that looks kind of interesting. Think I'll get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Futurism wrote: »
    There was a book about maths in general in easons that looks kind of interesting. Think I'll get it.

If you're looking for an interesting read on the subject of maths, you should read Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh. It's a very good - and very interesting - read. (It's written in an accessible style, which means it doesn't deal with technical aspects very deeply, but it's still very good).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

If you're looking for an interesting read on the subject of maths, you should read Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh. It's a very good - and very interesting - read. (It's written in an accessible style, which means it doesn't deal with technical aspects very deeply, but it's still very good).

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look out for it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

A Neurotic wrote: »
    *le sigh*, I've read the first three and wasn't particularly taken with them, but now that I know the 4th one's out I'll have to buy it. I hate my compulsion to finish any series I start...

There's a 4th one out?!:eek:
    Will have to buy it, I found them brilliant. Like Twilight, except well, with a good plot and well-written and hmm..........not like Twilight at all! :p

Advertisement