Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Duffy 10 miler - call your time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I'm running today and taking tomorrow off...

I'm doing ca. 10m easy tonight with an easy tergat 4m run in the morning, 24 hr taper!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shotcaller

running tonight and loads of pasta tomorrow! :D

i'm only new so i don't have a regular routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I'm not sure what time to call on this one. I completed the 5mile in 33.40 but I near killed myself doing that...I left nothing behind. According to McMillan my 10m should be 1.10.43 which is an average pace of 7.04.

I could hold that pace for 6 miles but I'm not so sure about 10. I'll know on Saturday anyway so I'm going to say 71 minutes. Interested to see how close I get to McMillan's 10m time for me. I know I'll give it everything just like the 5 mile and its a similar course so thats a good 'experiment set up', if you like. I have my doubts over McMillans calculator. We'll see.

I might do 3 or 4 easy miles tonight as I've ran for the last 3 nights and the legs are a little tired. Definitely not running tomorrow.

Best of luck everyone. Dead excited about this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dtf

I have my doubts about MacMillan too. Maybe if the course was dead flat I might be able to make his predited time of 78min (ran the 5mile in 37.30) but with hills the second time around I reckon it'll take more out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

dtf wrote: »
    I have my doubts about MacMillan too.

Me too. On last nights 3000m he puts me down for 70mins. Watch out for flying pigs on Saturday!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

gerard65 wrote: »
    Me too. On last nights 3000m he puts me down for 70mins. Watch out for flying pigs on Saturday!!

The thing about mcmillan it says that its the time you would run if you trained for the event :) . So if you run your 3k last night then trained for a 10milers you might run 70 mins then. It now says i'll do a 3:16 marathon :eek: but that wont be done this weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

McMillan says 1h16:35

I'd be very happy with that, targeting <1h19:59

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

I'm more than likely not going to be able to run on Saturday. :-(
    Just been to physio and calf still bad....damn!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Hope to do it under 1:15 but depends on the weather behaving itself and life's been hectic the last couple of weeks so we'll see what happens. Off to do a gentle 3 miles now.

Bought shining new Mizuno Wave Inpsire this evening, gold and silver. :cool: Cool as heck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aero2k

tunguska wrote: »
    Is everybody taking today off and having an easy run tomorrow? Or train today and take tomorrow completely off? I think this could be one for Tergat to answer if youre out there....
    Hi Tunguska,
    I presume you're planning a flyer on Sat.
    I did just under 5 miles today, and I'll do 3 or so tomorrow with a few strides. I did a big session on Tue and the legs felt a bit heavy today, but funnily enough I felt much better in the fifth mile. I'm planning a long gentle warm-up on Sat so hopefully I'll be okay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

aero2k wrote: »
    Hi Tunguska,
    I did just under 5 miles today, and I'll do 3 or so tomorrow with a few strides. I did a big session on Tue and the legs felt a bit heavy today, but funnily enough I felt much better in the fifth mile. I'm planning a long gentle warm-up on Sat so hopefully I'll be okay.
    What kind of warm-up you planning Aero?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

shotcaller wrote: »
    running tonight and loads of pasta tomorrow! :D

i'm only new so i don't have a regular routine.

Eat your pasta 48 hours before and go for wholewhat. It will give more benefit. If it turns out to be very windy we will need it on Saturday.

Taking 2 days off to get some rest. Good luck to everyone on Saturday. This will only be my second 10 miler.

Ran a very comfortable 8 in 50 mins last night so heres hoping I can knock 3-4 mins from last years 62PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Hi Tunguska,

How long of a warm up aero? Thats something I havent really played around with the morning of a race. Few stretches and thats it. Never do any running until the race starts. I think maybe I'll give it a try see what happens. I find the first mile to be tough normally so maybe doing a few warm up sprints will open my lungs a little.

Anyway in regards to preperation, Just did 5 miles at easy pace yesterday and then hit the pool for a swim, bit of stretching on the foam roller afterwards. Today will be pretty much the same, maybe just 4 miles easy this time though.

Anyway Im aiming for 57mins, hopefully 56. What about you aero, with your predicted marathon time I'd guess you were shooting for 64mins?

Are people wearing regular trainers or racing shoes? I bought a new set of asics speedstars yesterday and Im in two minds as to whether or not to wear them for a 10mile stint. Could be too long. Although my mate wore racing shoes for the marathon so I could get away with it. Is it worth the risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Are people wearing regular trainers or racing shoes? I bought a new set of asics speedstars yesterday and Im in two minds as to whether or not to wear them for a 10mile stint. Could be too long. Although my mate wore racing shoes for the marathon so I could get away with it. Is it worth the risk?

I'm gonna go with my Nike Marathoners, they're stable enough for a 10m without being too light (my Lunaracers). With your pace you should be fine for racers tunguska.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

christeb wrote: »
    I'm gonna go with my Nike Marathoners, they're stable enough for a 10m without being too light (my Lunaracers). With your pace you should be fine for racers tunguska.

just wondering how much difference wearing racers makes over 10K - 10 Miles. I've never had a pair, what do people think who have?

just wondering how much difference wearing racers makes over 10K - 10 Miles. I've never had a pair, what do people think who have?

Definitely makes a difference. I mean yesterday I weighed one of my racing shoes and it came in at 275g. I then weighed one of my regular training shoes and it came in at a whopping 450g. So thats nearly 200g on each foot. Over 10miles it'd make a difference alright. Only trade-off is support, the racing shoes could leave you in a jock for a few days after a long race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

I wore racers (brooks st6) for my last 10 miler a few weeks ago, the knees where a little sore for a day or two afterwards. I think its too risky a strategy to go with them tomorrow, it increases the risk of injury so close to DCM. I am in two minds whether to go with my kayano's (safety) or DS Trainer (not so safe).

wizwill wrote: »
    I wore racers (brooks st6) for my last 10 miler a few weeks ago, the knees where a little sore for a day or two afterwards. I think its too risky a strategy to go with them tomorrow, it increases the risk of injury so close to DCM. I am in two minds whether to go with my kayano's (safety) or DS Trainer (not so safe).

I think the DS trainer would be ok. They offer more support than the racing shoes but wouldnt be as heavy as the Kayanos. But again theyd still be heavier than the racing shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aero2k

How long of a warm up aero?...I find the first mile to be tough normally so maybe doing a few warm up sprints will open my lungs a little.
    Just a little background info. I had a pre-employment medical in '98 and I was told I was asthmatic - the doc seemed to think I was quite bad. Well that was news to me, but long story short, when I got back into competitive cycling and did a bit more research on asthma with a view to maximising performance, I discovered that many asthmatics found that a period of gentle activity before intense exercise was helpful with breathing, and this tied in with my own experimentation.
    I'll probably do a 30 mins warm-up jog starting at 9 1/2-10 min per mile, and working up to 7 min or so, with some strides. I probably would warm up a bit harder if I didn't have to hang around before the start, but there's no way to avoid that. I never stretch before races, I do a few mins static stretching afterwards. I'll do 2-3 miles warmdown if I'm not on a stretcher!
    What about you aero, with your predicted marathon time I'd guess you were shooting for 64mins?
    Yep, bang-on, 6:24 miles for me - looks easy when it's written down like that!
    I think the biggest risk is not being used to the new shoes. I'll be wearing Asics DS Racer. (I wore these for the '08 DCM and had no sore joints afterwards). I find the faster I run, the better these feel, so at your speed you should be fine! Slower jogs seem to give more impact with the road.
    Where did you get the Speedstars? I believe they have more forefoot cushioning compared to the DS Racer.
    kwalshe, I hope I answered your question too.

• Advertisement

Anyone else concerned about these chips falling off if it starts bucketing down which I think it will at this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

gmurran wrote: »
    Anyone else concerned about these chips falling off if it starts bucketing down which I think it will at this point?

Bit on the heavy side for a bib aren't they....
    You'd think at this stage they'd do a deal with champion chip for the series and marathon together.

It's a shame that you pay €70 to run the marathon and have that lump on your bib.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

gmurran wrote: »
    Noticed they seem a bit flimsy alright. The forecast is for showers tomorrow afternoon so we may get away without rain in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I don't mind a bit of drizzle, but if it buckets down I won't be happy.

I just took up running in may, so I'm a real noob. I did the 5 mile in just under an hour, as I was ill that that, I was delighted I did it at all, as I had no sleep at all for 3 days beforehand. Having said that, the quickest I know I could have done it was 40 mins anyway!!

I'm telling people I hope to do this one in under 2hours to avoid disappointment of failing, but truthfully, I want to be just over an hour and half. Don't think it will happen though.

I know thats a crap time compared to most, but I'm only starting, and for me its a huge achievement to even be competing in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Westerly fresh wind forecasted which mightn't be too bad. Stiff into the face on the highest point of military road before zig-zags would be the worst of it but should be sheltered and favourable enough on ordnance survey road and chesterfield avenue.

According to race packs we are running down Kyber road on the first lap (despite what map says on the site?)

Where did you get the Speedstars? I believe they have more forefoot cushioning compared to the DS Racer.
    kwalshe, I hope I answered your question too.

I got them in Mick dowlings shop in terenure. Won a 25quid voucher a while back so I decided to put that to good use finally.
    Ive done a little research and I reckon the racing shoes are good up to half marathon distance, so I reckon I'll give them a go tomorrow.
    And maybe for the marathon get a pair of Nike marathoners or DS trainers.

By the way does anybody know were you can get results for Frank Duffy 10 mile prior to 2007?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

T runner wrote: »
    Westerly fresh wind forecasted which mightn't be too bad. Stiff into the face on the highest point of military road before zig-zags would be the worst of it but should be sheltered and favourable enough on ordnance survey road and chesterfield avenue.

According to race packs we are running down Kyber road on the first lap (despite what map says on the site?)

An email was sent round the other day to say that it would be down Chesterfield first lap and Kyber second lap. They changed it after the packs were sent out I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

I'm with you Peanuthead. Only started running this year. Did the Great Run in an hour, Docklands and 5 mile both around 45.
    Been struggling with shin splints/ankle injury for last month, so havent got the training in I was hoping for. Aiming for 1hr40, and will be really happy to finish.
    Gotta start somewhere, right !?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Ive done a little research and I reckon the racing shoes are good up to half marathon distance, so I reckon I'll give them a go tomorrow.
    And maybe for the marathon get a pair of Nike marathoners or DS trainers.

At your pace I reckon you are fine with the racers....but not if you never worn them before. The recommendation is to do 2 5 mile easy runs in them before using them in a race otherwise you could suffer horribly with blisters etc which would affect your training afterwards.

I used to use kayanos and got DS trainers as racers...now I do all my training in DS trainers and find them perfect and have DS racers now for races...and would use the racers in a marathon...I weigh 75kg.

Warm up in the heavier runners (i.e a mile or 2 before the race) and then change into the racers shortly before the start. Should be worth around a minute in a 10mile race at your pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

I'm with you on that garlad, i'll be happy to finish due to the lack of training thanks to a football injury. But weather should be ok, windy but no real rain, and there should be a fair bit of shelter on the course.
    Hopefully i can pull in around 1:50

have fun tomorrow lads, thats the main thing.

Advertisement