Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Duffy 10 miler - call your time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

The rain is light enuf out there now. Hopefully will ease off a bit more later..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

hawkwing wrote: »
    If i had a choice between this yrs Cork marathon weather (20c+) or the 2008 Bupa (5-6c with Hailstones) or today (16c,wet but little wind) i would be delighted with todays!!:)
    haha, yeah. They are two extremes alright. I did both of them too and I suppose it puts today in perspective.

Just had a bowl of porrigde, slice of toast and a barroca boost. Motivation is slowly picking up.

Thinking of cashing in on this. I'm stoping into Tescos to buy loads of black bags for the start and towels for the end. Will only charge €10 a go. If they can do it for music festivals, cant see why I cant give it a go today. :D Hmm... where do runners keep their change?

Hopefully it wont put off the first timers. I know a lot of people have been looking forward to this. If the rain gets any heavier, I'll have to wear a swimming hat and goggles. Still, if I bring the shower gel with me, I could wash for the last couple of miles, save me from doing it after the race.

Feel sorry for the spectators, its not going to be fun for them, sitting around waiting for a bunch of soggy people to cross the line and trying to look like they enjoyed themselves.

GOOD LUCK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 stick_figure

Think I might have to wuss out of this one - I don't mind a short run in the rain, but at 10m/mile I really don't fancy 1:40 in wet socks :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

The weather sucks, but the race must go on!!

Once there aint a breeze to go with the rain it'll be alright:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I LOVE running in the rain. This is perfect. Shame I have to cycle to the start line though. Only thing I'm debating now is wether to wear my shiny new kayanos or not I don't want them to get filthy this quickly. :pac:

• Advertisement

Ah sure look on the bright side, the rain will wash any dirt away:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Rain snow hail sunshine, doens;t matter the weather, i'll still be in a lump by the end. But sure i'll get there. Watch your footing on greasey hills though.

There's no wind anyway, so just think of it as a coolant

GO for it lads, i'll be one of the cool kids down the back :)

Mc Millan estimated my time at 1h14, i came in i think around 1h18 so i'm still pretty pleased with that as a first 10mile race time:D Will update later with official time.

Also heard a mention of a Boards.ie member coming in at around 1h24 just as i was passing the line heading off to baggage area:) Sounded like P...something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Weather turned out perfect. Stopped raining about half nine and there was only a small shower half way around which was welcome. Wind was strong but didn't affect anywhere on the course really.
    I'm happy with my time. Planned to go out at about 8.30 min/miles and see how i was around 6-7. Ended up running the first 2 in about 8 min/miles and jumped in behind a group of 5 gals and one bloke from TAC from 2 to 8 miles. Its great to follow a group to sort out your pacing. A big thank you to this group. Got to 9 miles at about 73 mins and did the last mile in about 7.15. Finished in 80.16 .
    I had a little bit of blood on my hand finishing and took me ages to figure out where it came from. Turns out I forgot the vaseline. Not making that mistake again. Nipples are in rag order.
    The time zones seemed to work well and there was no real congestion after chesterfield ave. One last thing, the t-shirt is horrible. They don't seem to be as good quality as previous years either.

Mc Millan estimated my time at 1h14, i came in i think around 1h18 so i'm still pretty pleased with that as a first 10mile race time:D Will update later with official time.

Also heard a mention of a Boards.ie member coming in at around 1h24 just as i was passing the line heading off to baggage area:) Sounded like P...something?

Ha that was me. I acknowedged them with my two hands in the air but really I was thinking "oh jesus" :pac:

1 hr 25 for me, meh it'll do, didn't really 'race' it...would have liked to do better with the level of effort I put in. Hills on lap one killed me felt easier on them second time round. As I said at the end of the 5 miler, I need to do some serious hill work, never did it last month. 6 weeks now till the half marathon though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Found that tougher than I expected today, must have been those Thursday night beers! Anyway happy enough with 1:22..

Lots of work to do though.

nomadic wrote: »
    Weather turned out perfect. Stopped raining about half nine and there was only a small shower half way around which was welcome. Wind was strong but didn't affect anywhere on the course really.
    I'm happy with my time.
    The weather turned out fantasic aye, and that little shower that came down around 5.5 miles was lovely:D Nice time too, good stuff:)
    I had a little bit of blood on my hand finishing and took me ages to figure out where it came from. Turns out I forgot the vaseline. Not making that mistake again. Nipples are in rag order.
    have a slight case of jogger's nipple right now myself, think i'll run the half and not forget vaseline this time:P
    The time zones seemed to work well and there was no real congestion after chesterfield ave. One last thing, the t-shirt is horrible. They don't seem to be as good quality as previous years either.
    T-shirt is alright i guess, not as nice as the 5 miler but still a t-shirt:) And those timing pens worked a treat, such a good decision to use em!
    Ha that was me. I acknowedged them with my two hands in the air but really I was thinking "oh jesus" :pac:
    Haha no way:) fair play to ya, put in a good time there and its a shame they swapped lap 1 with lap 2, could have worked out much better...and yeah i need alot of training for the half as it'll be my first one like todays was my first 10:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Very well organised race this time,started just in front of the 80m+ marker as was hoping for sub 7943 and only had to pass a few people in the first 1.5 miles,thereafter no issues at all and the rain was lovely when it came.Thought my PB shot was gone after 4 miles but showed a bit of heart for once and did negative splits as always for me of 4053/3830 for a 7923 so well happy :) Mile times : 809,802,818,824,800,728,735,815,810,702

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Clocked about 66:41 on my watch. Disappointed with result as I was aiming to go under 65. Tough course imo - hills second time around were a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I really enjoyed it. Only started to take up the pace after 5 miles but really enjoyed the pace. Was hoping to make it in 1:21 but ended up 1:24, but was still a PB for me.

Think the percussion band helped me at the end and then I had a great sprint finish for the last 200M, got a great cheer from the crowd as i dashed for the end.

Right, now its time to finish off those left over Weissbiers.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dtf

A very well organised race. Starting pens worked really well. I finished in 83.14. This is 4mins slower that my Macmillan predited time but 7mins faster than last year. I just don't think that I have put the miles in training to carry me up the hills for the second lap. I lost concentration for the last 3 miles and it showed in my mile times.
    mile times 801, 742, 803, 828, 815, 754, 817, 824, 901, 839
    5.1 miles as per garmin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I liked the starting pens too, and the use of the path for the last 800m - we can't accuse anyone of cheating this time.
    66:20 for me. A PB. This was helped by a guy who picked up the pace with about 750m to go - I simply followed.
    I wore a singlet for the first time in a race and the rain shower 45 mins in was somewhat welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Results of Frank Duffy 10 up already... must be a record!

http://dublinmarathon.ie/results.php

Well organised race today. Started on time, the pens worked a treat, plenty of marshals to stop corner cutting, nice cool weather... couldn't have asked for much more really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Over 2 minutes slower for the top guys compared to 2008 times. Makes me feel better about my result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Agree it was a very well organised race and it's great to see the organisers took note of the few problems from the 5 miler and managed to avoid repeatinng them...well done!

My PB was 2 years ago in a time of 1:29:49 or so. I knew I'd be faster this year so was hoping for 1:19:59 but expexted sub 1:23. As I went around the first few miles I struggled a little bit due to my quads being tired for some reason! Thought I'd really struggle on the second lap so was intentionally keeping a little in reserve. However, fears were unfounded as the second lap wasn't so bad and managed to cross the line in 1:22:14 so a PB of over 7mins! Happy days!!

Split times:
    7:49, 7:41, 8:10, 8:25, 8:15, 7:59, 8:07, 8:19, 8:45, 8:44
    Garmin recorded the course as 10.07 miles which would have added about 30 seconds to my time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

Bout 61.00 or so. Delighted with run. Bit of trainin paid off. Got tru the hills ok but nearly died on 9th mile..
    Well organised too.
    Roll on the Half Marathon!!

Off to get hammered now:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

45th overall in 59:33 cant say I'm delighted. The fitness let me down after 7 miles. Felt it tough around the 7-8.5 mile mark.

Will need to pick it up a notch for the half. Well done everyone.

Anyone know who won the Dublin 10 teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

gmurran wrote: »
    45th overall in 59:33 cant say I'm delighted. The fitness let me down after 7 miles. Felt it tough around the 7-8.5 mile mark.

Will need to pick it up a notch for the half. Well done everyone.

Anyone know who won the Dublin 10 teams?
    The fitness let me down??????:o great time,well done

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Can't believe the times are up there already, you gotta love mobile broadband i suppose. Time wasn;t great, just over two hours, but lack of training in the last 2 months put pay to any time that i would be too happy with. But im happy to finish. Found the hills a killer , but the shower was heaven sent !

really well organised, will have to see if my fitness improves (once i can walk again ;-)) before i enter the half marathon.

Really well organised too, , but thanks to everyone who cheered on the big guy in the leinster jersey for the last 500 meters :-) i was hanging by a thread by then

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Enjoyed todays race. A new PB chip time of 69:24 (Gun 69:37), beating my 2008 time of 83:20! Happy with that!

Full report on log

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Woo! Rolled in in 1:32. Pretty happy with that (first time etc.). Bring on the half marathon.

Really struggled for the last two miles, mind you.

Now, off to stuff my face before spending the day watching football (and drinking cheap beer, of course).

Well done everyone.

Official stats as follows for Race number 2950:):

Overall place: 856

Place in category (MS) 433

Chip Time: 01:17:27

Overall Time: 01:18:10

People on here may have noticed me as the guy in white adidas gear playing loud, heavy metal (motivation music) through my headphones:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

hawkwing wrote: »
    The fitness let me down??????:o great time,well done

Cheers. I was sticking to 5:50 for the first seven and then I had a terrible 7th and 8th lap. Still it was tough going so cant be too disapointed.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Well I finished! Took 2.06 which I'm mighty pleased with. It really was a great experience, very well organised and there was a good bit of banter around the track. Started beside the two guys dressed as pears and stopped to get pics taken on the first lap (the big hill was coming up so I wanted a rest, that was my excuse :D )

The last two miles though were a bit of a 'mare, everything started hurting and had blisters, but was able to run over the line, so all good.

• Advertisement

Well done krankykitty thats fantastic. Bet you're chuffed. Did you finish ahead of the pears? I saw them on my way out of the park they were at about 8.5 miles then.

Advertisement