Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Duffy 10 miler - call your time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

Sure u could always run the race anyway without a number...

<MOD EDIT>

Warning given for a particularly stupid suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

TJC wrote: »
    Sure u could always run the race anyway without a number...

Please don't do this... there is huge congestion as it is with 6000+, not to mention how arrogant and disrespectful it is to those who have bothered to enter on time and pay good money.

Different story if you have already paid, but got lost in the administration... EDIT: Then this is something you should take up with the organisers (not run without number!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

geld wrote: »
    I didn't do the "five" and in previous years I have used Castleknock College to park. Where is everyone else parking for this?

BTW my number arrived this morning so really looing forward to it.

Loads of parking on Chesterfield Ave for the 5 so I say this maybe your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

gerard65 wrote: »
    Loads of parking on Chesterfield Ave for the 5 so I say this maybe your best bet.

Considering the first lap goes down Chesterfield Avenue this time I'd guess that there'll be no parking there on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

figs wrote: »
    Please don't do this... there is huge congestion as it is with 6000+, not to mention how arrogant and disrespectful it is to those who have bothered to enter on time and pay good money.

Different story if you have already paid, but got lost in the administration... EDIT: Then this is something you should take up with the organisers (not run without number!)

Oops....Sorry.....!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jenfer

Myself and the other half registered together, his number arrived today, but mine didnt. hopefully it will be here tomor- wont panic for another day or two yet! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

Considering the first lap goes down Chesterfield Avenue this time I'd guess that there'll be no parking there on the day.

i think it mentioned running down the footpath on the cricket path side

cant imagine they could block off the road as the zoo is there.
    Although it would only be for a short while

anyone any experience from last years 10 miler?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

8ofSpades wrote: »

We usually do two laps down Chesterfield ave and run the first lap on the road. The footpath will be miles too narrow for 6000 + runners.

8ofSpades wrote: »

The route's different from last year. It mentions the footpath on the route map which was before they changed the order of the laps. As RacoonQueen points out it'd be a bit nuts if they shift 6000 runners onto a footpath after less than a mile of running. For the half marathon the first lap uses the road on Chesterfield Ave for the first lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

no number yet!!!
    anybody else still waiting???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

I'm wondering can anybody from the organisation committee comment on the start procedure for the race this saturday. will there be clearer grouping of runners per their predicted race time, or is there a plan to stage staggered starts (and how will this work?).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

emerald007 wrote: »
    I'm wondering can anybody from the organisation committee comment on the start procedure for the race this saturday. will there be clearer grouping of runners per their predicted race time, or is there a plan to stage staggered starts (and how will this work?).

To answer your question, from earlier in the thread...
    There will be 4 time zones at the start so you should enter the appropriate one that suits your predicted time. For the 10 mile race, there will be one start on the gun ( no wave starts ).

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shotcaller

I'm still waiting for my number though I'm in work so won't be able to check till 8pm.

As for parking, there was plenty of parking at the Pope's Cross for the 5 miler and also I heards they're putting on the bus a bit earlier on Saturday to accommodate the runners.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

"SATURDAY will bring further rain or showers, which will be heavy,"--might thin out the crowd a bit!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

hawkwing wrote: »
    "SATURDAY will bring further rain or showers, which will be heavy,"--might thin out the crowd a bit!:)

Fingers crossed for the drop in temps and rain thats predicted.
    Has been tough up here the last fortnight with the heavy evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

I've just checked with the course director and the start time zones are as follows: sub 70, 70+, 80+ and 90+.
    There will be one start only in this race. There will possibly be wave starts in the half marathon. More info will follow later. Let's get through the 10 first.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I've just checked with the course director and the start time zones are as follows: sub 70, 70+, 80+ and 90+.
    There will be one start only in this race. There will possibly be wave starts in the half marathon. More info will follow later. Let's get through the 10 first.:)

It's a nice problem for them to have though I suppose, shows how much the events are growing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Ran the course tonight and was suprised how easy I felt it was but I hit a bit of a wall around 9 mile which came outta nowhere, really started hurting but it only lasted about 4 min a then was ok again. It was very hot. I think the long straight down Chesterfield will make it a bit easier to get into your zone/pace , rather than the playing cattle pen games running down the Kyber in the 5 mile.
    Good luck to everyone on Sat. I'm proud of you all...:P
    By the way did it in approx 1:31 but stopped at 5mile to borrow someones sweaty chest HR monitor:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭VanBosch

Had been aiming for a 83 mins time but after my visit to the physio yesterday due to pains in my calves, its doubtful I will even make Saturday.

Hopefully if I rest tonight I'll be able to get a couple of miles in tomorrow night, still hardly great preparation for my first 10 miler!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Just checked met.ie and saturday looks like it'll be grand weather wise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

just saw rte news
    lots of rain and wind sat!!

lets hope they are wrong as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Best of luck to everyone who's heading up - disappointed that I'm not able to make it! But I'm defo on for the half. Looking forward to hearing how everyone gets on

Just wondering what you guys would advise in my situation:

I am training for my first Marathon this year - Dublin. The training has been going well and I was getting out 3/4 times a week for the last few months and was sticking to my training schedule. I was up to a distance of about 12 miles and was happy with the pace.

Last Thursday I ran 12 miles and felt great afterwards. I went away for the weekend and on Monday got horrific pains in both my calves and could barely move when I was just walking around town. I went to the physio on Tuesday and he siad that it was just due to not warming up down properly and now that my longer runs was at 10/12 miles I was being found out for not stretching properly.

So since I have not run since last Thursday and the race is on Saturday I was wondering should I go out this evening and do my scheduled 6 miles or give it another break and just run Saturday after a 9 day break. I have been stretching twice a day for the last few days and my calves feel fine. Obviously I will stretch properly going forward.

Thanks

Does anyone who took part in the last race have any info on the shuttle bus that operates in the Phoenix Park? All the info sheet that came with the bib number says is that it's available for free - nothing about times. The Phoenix Park website says that usual timetable is on the hour. Are there more frequent buses on the race day and what time does it start at (usual Saturday timetable starts at 10 and week days at 7) ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

Personally speaking, I'm taking today off and running 4 easy miles tomorrow. If I were you I'd probably go for an easy run today to see how you get on (calves). I wouldn't not run at all and then throw myself into a ten mile race (when my last run caused me muscular damage).

Personally speaking, I'm taking today off and running 4 easy miles tomorrow. If I were you I'd probably go for an easy run today to see how you get on (calves). I wouldn't not run at all and then throw myself into a ten mile race (when my last run caused me muscular damage).

Yeah - when you put it like that the not running option is a bit ridiculous. I was just worried that people would say dont run until Next week or something.

I'll see how I feel after work and if I feel good I can go for an easy run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Is everybody taking today off and having an easy run tomorrow? Or train today and take tomorrow completely off? I think this could be one for Tergat to answer if youre out there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Nope I'll be doing 5 later and then 3 miles on Friday with a couple of strides and I'll predict 72 mins which is slower than what I was running in Feb. I'll start off at 7s and see how I go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Does anyone who took part in the last race have any info on the shuttle bus that operates in the Phoenix Park? All the info sheet that came with the bib number says is that it's available for free - nothing about times. The Phoenix Park website says that usual timetable is on the hour. Are there more frequent buses on the race day and what time does it start at (usual Saturday timetable starts at 10 and week days at 7) ? Thanks

For the last race I got out about 8:30 and was sitting in my car on chesterfield ave, noticed the shuttle bus pulling in every 10mins or so with loads of runners getting off. The shuttle bus for the race is different from the normal bus. You'll have no problem with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

tunguska wrote: »
    Is everybody taking today off and having an easy run tomorrow? Or train today and take tomorrow completely off? I think this could be one for Tergat to answer if youre out there....

I'm running today and taking tomorrow off...

Advertisement