Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a way to scam out of paying a tv license

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Hangsangwich

if I ever get done for not having a tv license, I will bring the case to the European Court of Justice. It is an anti-competitive law.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

if I ever get done for not having a tv license, I will bring the case to the European Court of Justice. It is an anti-competitive law.

fight the power!!

how much is the average european court case these days....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

A tv licence can now be obtained by Direct Debit costing €13 per month.

This is way cheaper than Sky and imo better value too.

You just add up the number of actual sky channnels you regularly watch on Sky digi and you may find that terrestrial tv is a better option.

There may be up to 900 sky channels , but we done our own little survey and discover that we only actually watch the folowing
    1. BBC 1
    2. Chanel 4
    3. Sky News
    4. Discovery
    5. Fox News
    6. MTV
    So in our case , paying the tv licence is more value for money than subscribing to sky

if i ever get done for not having a tv license I will bring the case to the European Court of Justice and get this piece of antiquated anti-competitive legislation overruled

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭An Ard Ri

stevoman wrote: »
    this debate is going on in work so i have decided to pick the AH brains (could be a mistake).

The question is - If you were to have and english sky box for example that does not have the RTE channels and you were to run the box off a computer screen and not a TV woudl you technically be exempt from having to pay a television license?

The way i see it is TV have the potentiel to pick up RTE as a terestrial channel through the aerial so thats why the say they can hit you with a TV license. But if you were using a computer screen would you not have to pay it.

I believe the only way to get around this is, to say to that you are repairing the TV for someone. That is providing you don't have an NTL connection (as that is where an Post gets its info). Apparently you dont have to have a licence to repair a TV and there is nothing that can be done. I guy i used work with is from Ballymun, and he said that this excuse was used loads of times in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

but we done our own little survey and discover that we only actually watch the folowing
    1. BBC 1
    2. Chanel 4
    3. Sky News
    4. Discovery
    5. Fox News
    6. MTV

Oh gawd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

dannym08 wrote: »
    fight the power!!

how much is the average european court case these days....

not alot if you get one off the euro saver menu

• Registered Users Posts: 82,016 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

then itll be PCs, laptops, 3G Phones

they could always just **** off and add a tax on electronics if theyre that ****ing poor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You just add up the number of actual sky channnels you regularly watch on Sky digi and you may find that terrestrial tv is a better option.

There may be up to 900 sky channels , but we done our own little survey and discover that we only actually watch the folowing
    1. BBC 1
    2. Chanel 4
    3. Sky News
    4. Discovery
    5. Fox News
    6. MTV
    So in our case , paying the tv licence is more value for money than subscribing to sky

What on earth are you talking about? You have to pay the licence whether you have sky or not.

I dont see why the taxpaying public have to prop up rte. why are people like ryan tubridy and pat kenny on such huge salaries?would it reallycost so muc and the level of quality programming from rte is pityful.Rte are over-staffed, its a case of jobs for the D4 boys and girls

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

ScumLord wrote: »
    "I don't live here" continue on your way out the door. Just don't look back.

I find a warning shot usually works. Just use blanks the first time they come, live rounds the next time. Maybe one in the leg if they persist. "Celebrity Jigs n Reels" ... my God, there should be a trial in the Hague over that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

kmick wrote: »
    Theres a very simple way to avoid the television license man - dont answer the door. If you dont answer the door they can send reminders to "the resident" but unfortunately "the resident" is not recognised by any court in any country (excluding Zambia and Mannon).

Its as simple as that.

They actually wait till you leave your house and nab you. If a stranger comes up to you as you leave your house and asks if you have a TV, say no. They caught my mate completely off guard.
    Now if you have an apartment with a secure gate and locked doors to get into the actual building I don't think you have any chance in hell of getting caught.
    Imagine him ringing on the intercom.
    "this is the tv licence inspector, do you have a television set?"
    "ehhh, yeah. I mean no"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

1. BBC 1
    2. Chanel 4
    3. Sky News
    4. Discovery
    5. Fox News
    6. MTV
    You'll only get two of those channels on terrestrial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

If you can receive tv from the UK terrestrially that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

i got a card in the door last year - we observed a tv in your property... nosy sod was down on his hunkers looking under the blinds,,,,

my excuse this year - i cant afford.. plain & simple; take me to court for 160 bloody euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Computer monitors do not need a licence..that's one way around it. Lotta people I know use these as they're TVs.

yes they do

they changed it earlier this year

if you own ANYTHING capable of receiving television signals (tv, computer, mobile with tv tuner etc) you need a license

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

jenzz wrote: »
    i got a card in the door last year - we observed a tv in your property... nosy sod was down on his hunkers looking under the blinds,,,,

my excuse this year - i cant afford.. plain & simple; take me to court for 160 bloody euro

....and be fined and forced to pay the licence anyhow. Smart idea :rolleyes:

Is it that hard to save 3 odd eur a week and put it into a pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Yeah.. Watch tele from prision!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Id put the €160 towards a court challenge to this stupid law. Now, if another 1,000 or so people would do the same, we could get an hour in the high court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

stevoman wrote: »
    this debate is going on in work so i have decided to pick the AH brains (could be a mistake).

The question is - If you were to have and english sky box for example that does not have the RTE channels and you were to run the box off a computer screen and not a TV woudl you technically be exempt from having to pay a television license?

The way i see it is TV have the potentiel to pick up RTE as a terestrial channel through the aerial so thats why the say they can hit you with a TV license. But if you were using a computer screen would you not have to pay it.

It won't stand up in court. Friends of mine who did not have a TV (they were americans) were brought to court to PAY licence for TV, but they did no have one, but the house had an old dish. The landlord had to testify they did no have a TV(they actually didn't) They used to watch news on computer via internet but not via box, as they said the Irish channels were crap and no point paying for a licence to see 2 channels.

Personally I think the Licence is worthless, I pay it because I have a TV. But I rarely watch RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Computer monitors do not need a licence..that's one way around it. Lotta people I know use these as they're TVs.

Yes they do, if they have a tuning card, they will need a licence...

I have a licence, but only because one of them dudes came to the door. Moving house in a few months, I won't be buying another until the knock on the door again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Yes they do, if they have a tuning card, they will need a licence...

they dont need a tuning card any more

a pc is sufficient to require a license

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Helix wrote: »

I don't believe that.

A quick read of the Wireless Telegraphy Act, 1926 suggests this :
    "station" means wireless telegraphy apparatus, including any aerials and the wires connected to the service points served by the apparatus, used solely for the purpose of relaying television programmes or television programmes and sound programmes and any apparatus associated with the apparatus aforesaid;

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Have you got a link for that?

From this
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/media/tv_licences

"You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, you do require a licence if the computer is used together with any other apparatus to receive a signal."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I thought you didn't need one for a TV unless it had a tuner.
    Isn't a licence (at a lower rate) also needed for a radio though? So most people's phones, with their radio tuners, would make them liable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

so if the guy (making that assumption cos women don't wear corduroy blazers with elbow patches) came to the door and you were receiving terrestrial TV via an aerial in the attic could you not just say 'I don't have a TV and you can't come in cos there are children sleeping'?

I did that for several years until I
    1) bought a new TV from a TV shop
    2) got in NTL
    3) my kids became teenagers
    at which time I guessed the odds were now stacked against me pulling it off so bought the licence and became a convert and now wear corduroy blazers with elbow patches during my working day :p

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

I recently posted about my encounter with TV Licensing in the legal forum.

In a nutshell the inspector tail-gated someone in to the apartment block I live in and then started knocking on doors. When he got to me and admitted he followed someone in when I challenged him I called security and had him removed from the building.

Now I wait for their revenge as I can't see them being too happy with what i did.

(I don't own a TV or an PC tuner card)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Link?
    Ste.phen wrote: »
    I thought you didn't need one for a TV unless it had a tuner.
    Isn't a licence (at a lower rate) also needed for a radio though? So most people's phones, with their radio tuners, would make them liable?

Radio license abolished. Poster goes into a good bit of detail here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60328931&postcount=9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Radio license abolished. Poster goes into a good bit of detail here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60328931&postcount=9

Cheers, that clears up a misconception i've been spouting all over the place ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

dlambirl wrote: »
    Once you have any piece of equipment that is capable of recieving Tv channels you are meant to have a TV licence.

why?
    Its all a scam. If i buy a telly, i own it.
    same with Dog liciense....

Flippin goverment money grabbin hooers!:mad: or who-ever... money grabbin whoers! the money they charge the companies to advertise covers their costs im sure. So why should we have to contribute anymore?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement