Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a way to scam out of paying a tv license

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Helix wrote: »
    they dont need a tuning card any more

a pc is sufficient to require a license

No it's not. The law says a PC that is connected to apperatus for recieving TV signals. That's a TV tuner or arial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

What do the TV license people have to do to catch you?
    I mean if you answer the door and they say TV license inspector, just shut in in their face, go back on the couch and watch TV!!
    if they corner you outside dont talk to them...keep walking.. they cant harrass you.
    Dont let them inside your house, you dont have too.
    Put a lock on the front and back gate if you have ones.. if youe have dogs keep them mean and hungry!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

No it's not. The law says a PC that is connected to apperatus for recieving TV signals. That's a TV tuner or arial.

Correct. You need to be able to recieve a tv signal, a stream doesn't count as that.
    Also, a tv licence guy was on the radio a while ago and said they have no plans to "do" people for having a pc

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ponster wrote: »
    I don't believe that.

A quick read of the Wireless Telegraphy Act, 1926 suggests this :

They had pc's in 1926? what an age we lived in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Hangsangwich

I remember going to a post office to pay for the tv license and the old lady postmistress warned me that if I paid for the license, "they'd get me for everything after that". She was a woman of the people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Just pretend to speak polish so they dont understand, cos as much as the inspector on the add thinks he is speakin polish, that is not polish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Flippin goverment money grabbin hooers!:mad: or who-ever... money grabbin whoers! the money they charge the companies to advertise covers their costs im sure. So why should we have to contribute anymore?

I agree. They can take away the cost of advertising, inspectors etc. etc. by putting the television tax on electricity bills and anyone with no tv can have a refund as soon as they prove they have no tv. That way everyone who has a television pays. I do believe this is how it works in some countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I agree. They can take away the cost of advertising, inspectors etc. etc. by putting the television tax on electricity bills and anyone with no tv can have a refund as soon as they prove they have no tv. That way everyone who has a television pays. I do believe this is how it works in some countries.

How does one prove they have no tv?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    How does one prove they have no tv?

It's not up to me to devise the protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    It's not up to me to devise the protocol.

But it's all good suggesting theory but it needs to be fleshed out to work :pac: I only ask because proving a negative is pretty tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daveyid89

nipplenuts wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with RTE (as a rule for what you must receive), it is a license to receive TV signals. So, no, your plan wouldn't work. In fact, there's already a move to license your PC also.

wat?.... well i think il be have to brush up on my barbados for when the pc license inspector comes round.

can u imagine him arguing with a bunch of pc tech heads..... *insert humours nerd talk confusing the tv license inspector guy*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jaydoubleyoubee

These not only avoid the paying of a TV licence, but embarass TV licence inspectors

1))

Get a large PC monitor and the internet, connect a Playstation 3 or the like to it, and use the internet to watch almost any programme you want at any time.

When they call to check, it's simple. You have no obligation to allow the TV licence inspector in the door.

Tell him you don't have any piece of equipment that requires a TV licence.

If he returns with a legal order (usually within two weeks) to check the house, let him in, and see him search desperately for a television while accompanied by a Garda or council official who's time he is wasting.

(optional) Chat to this person about the waste of government expenditure on trying to accuse innocent people of avoiding a tv licence.

[This is what I did at my home in Naas]

2))

This works well for students

Every time someone rings the doorbell remove the fuse from the plug on the tv and turn the tv to face the wall

If the tv licence inspector calls simply allow him in

When he points out the tv, say, "that was here when we moved in, it doesnt work, we keep meaning to get rid of it"

Give him a disgusted look when he laughs and says, "have you not seen the ads, we've heard all the excuses, sure"

Allow him to test the tv in several sockets in the house just to be sure.

Laugh at him, ask him for identification, and make a complaint about the manner in which he inspected your house.

[This is what I did in student accomodation. I've been checked three times in three years and this worked every time]

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Get a large PC monitor and the internet, connect a Playstation 3 or the like to it, and use the internet to watch almost any programme you want at any time.
    That's what I've done, I hope the bastard calls round now, I have prepared a "I've got no TV Fuck you RTE licence whores" dance, it's over 25 minutes long. They probably won't call now. :(

@Scumlord

You're probably right, I got my monitor and got rid of my TV over two years ago. Two days after I was supposed to pay my TV licence they came a-knocking, teo friggin days, and they haven't called since!

I forgot to mention, number 2)) in my previous post is obviously not advised, because it's illegal, no guarentees it'll work, blah blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

if i ever get done for not having a tv license I will bring the case to the European Court of Justice and get this piece of antiquated anti-competitive legislation overruled

Would you mind doing the same for Driving licenses, pet licenses, fishing licenses, gun licenses etc etc?

;)

"You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, you do require a licence if the computer is used together with any other apparatus to receive a signal."

I assume a 'modem' could be considered another apparatus to receive a signal. So echnically, if you watch anything like TV / news etc over the web, you are legally required to have a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

with all due respect i think it would be easier to just pay up. no pulling the fuse on the tv,no hiding when the door is knocked etc.

just pay up .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's what I've done,

I've been thinking of doing that for a while. My TV is used for Xbox and the odd DVD. Does anybody know what models of big TVs come without a tuner though. To get a 37" monitor is kinda pricey.
    I assume a 'modem' could be considered another apparatus to receive a signal.

You know what they say about assume. How do you get a TV signal through a modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Yes - but I aint telling. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've been thinking of doing that for a while. My TV is used for Xbox and the odd DVD. Does anybody know what models of big TVs come without a tuner though. To get a 37" monitor is kinda pricey.
    It's going to be hard to find a tv with out a tunner at a cheap price because your basically talking about a monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 severely

I had a case in a business before where a license inspector wanted us to pay the license for a security monitor. I told the guy no way. I rang a TV store and they said they would remove the tuner for 40euros (this can be refitted in some TVs ). This I done and the next week the license inspector returned. I showed him the receipt for the removal of the tuner and promptly left. They have also called to my parents house and I've told them itwasn't my house , the owner was on holiday and if they came back next week they could sort it out. That happened on 2 separate occasions and they never returned (my parents had a license, I just couldn't be bothered me arse looking for it). If you pay for a license once they have your address on file so if you don't renew it , it will be red flagged. That's their detection equipment. There was talk of licensing computers , but even Cuba is moving away from that bat-****e craziness . I would never pay for the license out of principle and would gladly stand up in court just to deride RTE as a FF propaganda platform. We live in a country where you need a license to broadcast TV and a license to receive it. So much for free speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭veryangryman

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055620766

Your thread has just been added to that thread OP. Hope your proud

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055620766

Your thread has just been added to that thread OP. Hope your proud

Cool, the 'Not Found' thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Cool, the 'Not Found' thread!

:mad:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055454434

:cool:

Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it. [http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/media/tv_licences]
    Strange that the TV licence inspectors I met didn't know this. Also does this mean if you rip the piece of circuitry from your television set that allows it to receive a tv signal, i.e. modify it to make it a pc monitor, then you have to pay a tv licence? It's technically a custom made product that does not receive signals.

Did you know, this means if someone dumps a broken television on your property you're required to pay for a TV licence for it, that's hilarious.

I'm thinking of posting small broken TVs to people I don't like and then reporting them to the TV licence inspectors. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Projector maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

i think the whole tv licence thing is a load of bull, its an un-needed waste of money. i defo dont agree with being charged for having a computer screen either. i mean theres mobile phones in china (that can be brought over here with no problem) that recieve tv and have a tv aerial... would you need a licence for that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Yes, and pay any import duties I suspect. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

feck that so! theres a tv in our house only use it for games and dvds, but if the tv inspector ever pops around to my house ill be quickly and honestly telling him it isnt my tv so it isnt my problem

i mean theres mobile phones in china (that can be brought over here with no problem) that recieve tv and have a tv aerial... would you need a licence for that too?

They have a tv tuner so yes

• Advertisement

feck that so! theres a tv in our house only use it for games and dvds, but if the tv inspector ever pops around to my house ill be quickly and honestly telling him it isnt my tv so it isnt my problem

But it is in your house.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement