Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a way to scam out of paying a tv license

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

doesnt matter its not mine its my house-mates boyfriends tv, i refuse to pay for something that isnt mine or that i hardly ever use! if it was my tv then grand no bother, but its not so no way. the inspector can easily have his name and send the summons to him. i never wanted the stupid 70s tv in the house anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

doesnt matter its not mine its my house-mates boyfriends tv, i refuse to pay for something that isnt mine or that i hardly ever use! if it was my tv then grand no bother, but its not so no way. the inspector can easily have his name and send the summons to him. i never wanted the stupid 70s tv in the house anyway

If you do go to court over it then you should practice your speach as I don't think a judge would be overly pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

Strange that the TV licence inspectors I met didn't know this. Also does this mean if you rip the piece of circuitry from your television set that allows it to receive a tv signal, i.e. modify it to make it a pc monitor, then you have to pay a tv licence? It's technically a custom made product that does not receive signals.

Did you know, this means if someone dumps a broken television on your property you're required to pay for a TV licence for it, that's hilarious.

I'm thinking of posting small broken TVs to people I don't like and then reporting them to the TV licence inspectors. lol

I'm on my way to the dump to pick up a load of broken tv's now. . . . ROFL Such a stupid license. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm on my way to the dump to pick up a load of broken tv's now. . . . ROFL Such a stupid license. . .
    It won't be so funny if you come across a tv licence inspector road checkpoint on the way home and have to produce a load of tv licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Put on snickers workwear
    Find a hammer, snips - any tool
    Hide the wife
    Open door
    "ahh ok - well I'm only working here but I'll let the owners know when they come back in a few weeks"

Also works on chuggers

• Advertisement

Sparky wrote: »
    Put on snickers workwear
    Find a hammer, snips - any tool
    Hide the wife
    Open door
    "ahh ok - well I'm only working here but I'll let the owners know when they come back in a few weeks"

Also works on chuggers
    I find nudity much more effective. Props can be used for added effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Every time someone rings the doorbell remove the fuse from the plug on the tv and turn the tv to face the wall......
    Allow him to test the tv in several sockets in the house just to be sure.

Every time someone comes to the door you take out the plug and turn around the tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

ScumLord wrote: »
    I find nudity much more effective. Props can be used for added effect.

Sexy props?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Sexy props?
    One man, one tv? I'm not exactly sure what you'd have to do with the tele but should guarantee he won't be calling again.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055620766

Your thread has just been added to that thread OP. Hope your proud

You sound bitter(joking)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jaydoubleyoubee

@ Bob Z

No, take the fuse out of the plug, the television set will appear to not work, however you can be prosecuted even if your tv is not working, but it is less likely to happen. As I said this is only good for students, who usually don't stay in the same place for more than 9 months.

What happens if you give another name?

Well they'll have your address, and I'm sure they'll figure it out eventually. Simplest thing to do is completely ignore any television licence inspector. THey cannot enter your home without your permission, nor can they touch you or any of your possessions wiyhout your permission. If they become an annoyance, calling every day etc. ensure that you remove the telly and make a complaint to the television licence crowd about the inspector for harassment. If they ask you is it ok if they check your house, say yes. This lack of television, and your VALID complaint about harassment, will most likely result in a tv licence inspector getting embarassed and repremanded, as well as a severe lack of inspections over the coming months and years.

I would complain about a tv license inspevtor just because he doing his job. The reason iasked about giving a false name was because i did do this one time when i was a student(just before i moved out) and letters started appearing for the false name. i just wondering did they eventually sent out a summons?

They propbably sent out another inspector and met the new residents, they usually do before a summons is involved as far as I'm aware.

question, if in student accomodation/ or rented accomodation and theres a tv there is the tenant or the landlord responsible for the tv license? or is it up to the person who actually owns the tv>

Rented accommodation

If you are a tenant living in rented accommodation with a television you must have a television licence. This applies irrespective of who owns the television (whether the television belongs to you or the landlord). The law states that anyone resident on a premises in possession of a television set must have a television licence.

from: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/media/tv_licences

Some landlords pay the TV licence for you, but you should ask for a copy to have handy for an inspector, or in case your landlord didn't pay, as you'd be liable. Also you only need one TV licence per house no matter how many TVs you have.

i think if there is someone staying in the house overnight and they answer the door they could be liable

Bob Z wrote: »
    i think if there is someone staying in the house overnight and they answer the door they could be liable

Probably! lol

Ah thats not cool. feck this tv licence lark

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dinter wrote: »

You only need a tv license for a pc if it has a tv tuner card, which most don't. Also the license is for a household so if you already have a tv you could have a pc with a tv tuner and not have to get an extra license.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

question, if in student accomodation/ or rented accomodation and theres a tv there is the tenant or the landlord responsible for the tv license? or is it up to the person who actually owns the tv>

I blieve the laws relate to the 'occupant' or 'resident' so yes, it would be your responsibility, but some landlords do include the license for you (very few).

The licence does not pertain to a particular TV or person, but to the household.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Regarding removing a tuner from a TV. I emailed Dublin.TVlicence@anpost.ie just to see what they thought the situation was.

The reply I got contained.

In legal terms a television set, as per the Broadcasting and Wireless Telegraphy Act 1988,
    means "any apparatus for wireless telegraphy capable of receiving and exhibiting television programmes broadcast for general reception whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction therewith and any assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus.

Based on this broad definition, An Post's contention is that even if a television set is modified and not used to receive television signals it is still an apparatus for wireless telegraphy and as such requires a licence.

Regarding removing a tuner from a TV. I emailed Dublin.TVlicence@anpost.ie just to see what they thought the situation was.

The reply I got contained.

In legal terms a television set, as per the Broadcasting and Wireless Telegraphy Act 1988,
    means "any apparatus for wireless telegraphy capable of receiving and exhibiting television programmes broadcast for general reception whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction therewith and any assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus.

Based on this broad definition, An Post's contention is that even if a television set is modified and not used to receive television signals it is still an apparatus for wireless telegraphy and as such requires a licence.
    Did the letter end, "where's our money bitch?!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Harry Huffnagle

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could help me -

I live in an apartment.

I don't have a tv licence.

I had a friend staying with me for a few months, and one evening while I was out, a tv licence inspector buzzed the intercom. My friend answered said he didn't know if there was a licence on the premises and gave the inspector his name.

Heard nothing for a couple of weeks, then got a standard letter addressed to my friend saying he should get a licence.

He had actually moved out at this stage, and I just ignored the letter. A few weeks later another standard letter came addressed to him again, this time mentioning that he could be taken to court etc etc. I ignored this one too.

Came home yesterday and found a registered post attempted delivery form in the mailbox, addressed to him. There's apparently a registered letter waiting for him to collect at the post office. I am 100% sure this is from the tv licence people.

I don't want to collect it, cause I will have to sign for it myself and provide ID etc. But I'm worried it may be a summons or something like that, and I don't want my mate having to go to court.

So I don't know whether to ignore it or collect it or maybe just a licence in my name right away.

Has anyone got a registered letter from these guys before?

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could help me -

I live in an apartment.

I don't have a tv licence.

I had a friend staying with me for a few months, and one evening while I was out, a tv licence inspector buzzed the intercom. My friend answered said he didn't know if there was a licence on the premises and gave the inspector his name.

Heard nothing for a couple of weeks, then got a standard letter addressed to my friend saying he should get a licence.

He had actually moved out at this stage, and I just ignored the letter. A few weeks later another standard letter came addressed to him again, this time mentioning that he could be taken to court etc etc. I ignored this one too.

Came home yesterday and found a registered post attempted delivery form in the mailbox, addressed to him. There's apparently a registered letter waiting for him to collect at the post office. I am 100% sure this is from the tv licence people.

I don't want to collect it, cause I will have to sign for it myself and provide ID etc. But I'm worried it may be a summons or something like that, and I don't want my mate having to go to court.

So I don't know whether to ignore it or collect it or maybe just a licence in my name right away.

Has anyone got a registered letter from these guys before?
    What are you doing opening his post?

Well he doesn't live there, you are the occupant, and as such YOU should have the license.

He will not be prosecuted, as he doesn't live there, does not reside there, and therefore does not require a license.

You however, will be, when they come looking for YOU and YOUR license.

I've not opened his post.
    The thing that was dropped in the letterbox yesterday was an attempted delivery card left by the postman - its not in an envelope.
    He can sign this to allow me to go and collect it for him.
    I'm just not sure if I should do this or not.

Well he doesn't live there, you are the occupant, and as such YOU should have the license.

He will not be prosecuted, as he doesn't live there, does not reside there, and therefore does not require a license.

You however, will be, when they come looking for YOU and YOUR license.

Oh I realise there's no way out of getting a licence at this stage, but I'm just not certain what to do about this letter. If the registered letter just gets sent back to the tv licence people and I get a licence sortish sharpish would that be enough for them to leave it be?

I basically just need to find out if that letter is a summons or not, cause if it is, that makes thing a bit more complicated, so I was wondering if anyone had got a registered letter from these guys before.

• Advertisement

Oh I realise there's no way out of getting a licence at this stage, but I'm just not certain what to do about this letter. If the registered letter just gets sent back to the tv licence people and I get a licence sortish sharpish would that be enough for them to leave it be?

I basically just need to find out if that letter is a summons or not, cause if it is, that makes thing a bit more complicated, so I was wondering if anyone had got a registered letter from these guys before.

Get yourself a license - now.

Even if he is summoned, sure it'll be easy to prove that you are the occupier, and have the required license.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement