Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nazi Stall in Balbriggan Market

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Kold wrote: »
    JEWS HAVE BIG NOSES LOL

I can smell some sarcasm in your post...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I can smell some sarcasm in your post...

Worst pun yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Terry wrote: »
    Don't forget the pyramids.
    Build by Jewish slaves, apparently.

That's Egypts tourist industry screwed.

Yes, slavery is never Kosher.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Mairt wrote: »
    This is a stupid argument.

People recognoise the difference between a Swastika found on something Buddhist and Nazi paraphernalia.

No all people do not. I'd go as far to say that the vast majority of people do not.

Buddhist temple or Neo-Nazi clubhouse ? Linky

Buddhist Jewelry or Nazi ? Linky

Buddhist or Nazi ? Linky

Buddhist or Nazi ? Linky

Buddhist or Nazi ? Linky

I walked into a dispute here in Asia last year involving some people who thought this old guy on the street was selling Nazi jewelry.

I am responding to those idiotic comments which suggested banning the swastika as a symbol.
    People buying into the Nazi stuff will argue tooth and nail with you about the holocaust, how it didn't happen and if it did why the Jew's, Gypsies, gays etc had to be destroyed.

And ? I am not arguing anything except the symbol cannot be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 blacktruck

luckat wrote: »
    But buying Nazi symbols is different. They're symbolic of a cult that existed purely for the murder of a specific ethnic group. Buying them is like buying into ethnic cleansing, all ethnic cleansing.

well i can say for myself that i find german ww2 stuff pretty cool,and no,i dont want to exterminate every non-white from the planet.,i would hang an SS flag on my bedroom wall anyday of the week because i like how it looks and i find ww2 intersting,if it offends anybody then feck them.and for me,buying something with a commie sign on it is symbolic of an idiology that wishes to enslave me and take away my freedoms so its not much worse that the nazi stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

peasant wrote: »
    To all of the above ...Georges Cross, Cromwell, the flag of the Soviet Union, pictures of Josip Bros Stalin, etc, pp ...

Piffle !

When I was reading your posts I agreed with your sentiments although personally I would never condone even further curtailment of people's right to freedom of expression. I thought you were making points based on careful weighing up of available facts and not just making emotive outbursts like the one above.

You are deciding what ranks as the worst symbol of all time but you do not in any way explain your own motivations for declaring it as such. Is the reason the German genocide affects you something to do with the massive celluloid and literary coverage it receives in comparison with other less fashionable and less well funded genocides? I don't see how it could be compared on the same scale to Stalin's or Mao's regimes.

You are able to disregard far worse genocides because you do not know enough about them. If you did there's no way you could. It is this selective education that will allow you do go out and buy a "cool" sickle and hammer t-shirt but pour scorn on those who'd buy a Nazi flag. At least I'm hoping it's selective education and you haven't weighed them up and found the Nazis the worse by virtue of who they targeted.

Frankly I empathise more with the Soviet people who suffered a far, far more vile and terrible dictator for far longer than the Europeans did. It is not so easy to condemn the actions of the Nazis and their murderous schemes when you take the voyage of the SS St Louis into account. There were very few countries in Europe whose hands are clean regarding the Holocaust.
    The Nazi flag is THE international symbol for fascim, genocide, racial hatred, disregard for other human beings and any other vile idea that springs to mind.

To fix your post, the above is perfectly true as long as you are exposed to Western values and media. If you're a Sikh for example you'll find it means something quite different.
    There are even Jewish Neo-nazis waving it, ffs..

"I'll so offend, to make offense a skill, redeeming time when men think least I will."

(If you're a dim witted moron with no grasp of history etc and wish to offend Jews there is probably no better way.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

Were all Nazi's evil??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Actually the pyramids were built voluntarily by egyptian citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

monosharp wrote: »
    Just like most folks talking about banning symbols like the swastika have no idea what it is anyways ?

True, most of them have no clue about the meaning of the symbols, or their place in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thunor

in my oppinoion the most evil symbol in existance is the cross of christianity but only because it ties in with my culture.
    this is when the church condoned the rape torture and murder of weomen children and men.

as i am a pagan this should probably offend me but i will talk to catholic preists and protestant vickers (and i have done so) without prejudice

the swasticka is a pagan symbol for fertility and hope (maby this is why it was used as this would be true of the germanic tribes ideology)

also watch missisipy burning to see the cross used for oppression and hate

also the french banning of the habib and sauri is disgusting

i will continue to wear my swasticka and pentangle you can wear your cross

on another point what is freedom without the choice to think wear and say what you think appropriate i dont feel that this is freedom at all more of an oppressed existance with added blindness and in a few steps you will find that the news has to pass a governmental screening process.:rolleyes:

man i do ramble so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

GAH ZOMBIE NAZI THREAD!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What an excellent first post.

Nazi noobs FTW!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

marcsignal wrote: »
    Just found this on web

There is a stall in this Balbriggan market selling Nazi Regalia ??

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2008/aug/03/nazi-memorabilia-openly-on-sale-in-dublin-market/

OK there are a lot of reenactors etc that can source uniforms and imitation firearms there etc, and I have no issue with that, but this bloke is selling ashtrays with faces of Jewish Caricatures in the base. Eh... personally I think that is a bit of a nicht nicht :(

i collect ww2 stuff so i dont mind actully period stuff...

but this guy is just another skinhead asshole.
    like antisemetic dvds etc... and mass produced made in china ash trays.

if its original sell it too collectors/re enactors not people passing on the street
    True, most of them have no clue about the meaning of the symbols, or their place in history.
    yeah the symbol shouldnt be banned... only skinheads etcc... should be arrested for using it as a hate symbol....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

i would hang an SS flag on my bedroom wall anyday of the week because i like how it looks

Back to Stormfront mate :rolleyes:
    Home of the "I'm not a fascist but...." arguement.
    Were all Nazi's evil??

The fascist/nazi ideology was evil at its core.

Today it still is. Its by and large restricted to pockets of the internet. The day they can have a public meeting is the day things change, for now they're not worth a thread in After Hours.
    and for me,buying something with a commie sign on it is symbolic of an idiology that wishes to enslave me and take away my freedoms so its not much worse that the nazi stuff

The second great Stormfronters arguement. If you hate Hitler, you love Stalin. Obviously people like Stalin and I would even argue Che Guevara are not people that should be placed on such pedestals, but there's another days debate in that. Such debate shys away from the issue of people openly wearing fascist symbols however. You said in your own post these things are "not much worse than the nazi stuff" so why would you want an SS flag on the wall? Because it looks cool? Stalins moustache was pretty ace too, might order a shirt.

edit: As for the bizarre debate on the religious/spiritual nature of the Swastika symbol,I think its very clear when it is being used for Race-Hate purposes. I don't think we'll see a huge 'Spirtual White Pride Fest' march down O' Connell Street jsut so they can get the swastikas out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

You either allow the sale of German war collectables and artefacts from every other side or you ban the sale of all war memorabila. People who disagree with the sale of nazi material but have no problem with the sale of allied material are hypocritical at best. Personally I think none of it should be on sale.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=462_1200628636

nuff said!! :)

PS cant be arsed to check if it's alrwady posted.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Grimes wrote: »
    You either allow the sale of German war collectables and artefacts from every other side or you ban the sale of all war memorabila. People who disagree with the sale of nazi material but have no problem with the sale of allied material are hypocritical at best. Personally I think none of it should be on sale.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I think there are two types of antique dealers in this respect, those with a genuine historical interest and then you have the muppets who realise there is a lucrative market but their only real interest is limited to the distorted ideology which the artifacts represent.

Grimes wrote: »

This would only serve to inflate the value of the market, I don't know about you, but I don't want to see wannabe nazi muppets lining their pockets even more.

Where do you stop on what you deem suitable for sale as an antique...

I have come across many old IRA/Sinn Fein items, should they, along with pro-nationalist items also be banned?

What about books suggestive that a womans only place is in the kitchen, should these also be banned...Where do you draw the line.

O.k above examples are not quite on the same scale but I hope understand what i'm getting at.

There is one particular title which my jaw drops on each occasion I see it, it's called the little book of ****** Jokes. (i'm not typing the n word)

Should that be banned?

I don't think so, because all these items are glimpses or an insight into society of a particular era and they are all part of what has moulded the human race to what it is today.

Historical items should be seen within their historical context.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Samba wrote: »
    I think there are two types of antique dealers in this respect, those with a genuine historical interest and then you have the muppets who realise there is a lucrative market but their only real interest is limited to the distorted ideology which the artifacts represent.

People like that arent antique dealers and they're usually Nutcases and you wont find thier stalls in balbriggan.

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    People like that aren't genuine antique dealers and they're usually Nutcases and you wont find their stalls in Balbriggan.

I fixed that post for you, can you spot the difference? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭NilByMouth

For those of you's who are REALLY bothered by the lad selling ashtrays with swastika's give these guy's a heads up...the irish chapter of the Anti-Fascist-Action

http://www.geocities.com/irishafa/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

NilByMouth wrote: »
    For those of you's who are REALLY bothered by the lad selling ashtrays with swastika's give these guy's a heads up...the irish chapter of the Anti-Fascist-Action

http://www.geocities.com/irishafa/

Wow people who go around beating up people who they disagree with. That'll fix things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

sometimes violence is the answer to those who preach violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

sometimes violence is the answer to those who preach violence sell ashtrays.

Fixed that. Kind of like raping to prevent rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

their is obviously... antique dealers.... and then idiot who sell copys out of the back of a van.

and the actual dealers more than likley wouldnt pose for a photo holding up a (suposed to be) genuine flag and wearing a |(Suposed to be) authentic helmet like a muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Morlar wrote: »
    Fixed that. Kind of like raping to prevent rape.

Not talking about this guy. I'd picket his stall, would be more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

monosharp wrote: »
    I think one of the stupidest things I have ever seen and heard in person was a couple of months ago. Was walking down a street here in Korea when quite randomly came across a small group of 5-6 Americans/Canadians.

Two girls were 'consoling' another who was crying and sobbing really loudly about her family, her people and other such rubbish.

Whereas 2 guys (1 pretty big guy) were shouting and acting aggressively towards a stall owner, a 50-60 year old man.

I stopped to see what the hell was going on and of course the group of idiots started talking to me because I was the only other foreigner there and they assumed I was american or canadian.

Anyways, basically they came across this stall and one girl saw a necklace with a swastika on it. Started crying about her family/people etc because she was jewish and the rest of the brave PC'ers decided to jump on the hysterics wagon.

I hope everyone here reading this already realises whats going on.

So basically this guy was selling some jewellery, a lot of it Buddhist in nature.

Was as well talking to a family of chipmunks. One girl and the smaller guy seemed to realise the error of their ways while the others didn't seem to believe me or the stall owner who actually turned out to speak basic English if they had stopped shouting at him for 2 minutes and let the poor fella talk.
    They eventually seemed to start believing us and then started saying how its terrible that Buddhists can use the swastika and they should change it.

And you know what the moral of the story is kids ?

No amount of flags crosses, uniforms etc is going to cause anywhere near as much damage as simple ignorance.

You should educate people, not ban anything. By banning these symbols and ideas you are making them far more dangerous.

What happens if I turn up in Dublin airport tomorrow with my girlfriend wearing a swastika on a necklace ? How many people are going to think a) asian nazi wtf ??? or b) religious item ?

Ever been to any of the "Hitler Bar" places in Korea?

I remember looking for one in Busan, but it had been long gone by then. But by and large most Asians don't have much idea of who Hitler really was.

Check out happy little cartoon Hitler with his beer

But then we have a chain of "Mao" restaurants here in Ireland, how many deaths is he responsible for? Guess he's not as easily indentified for people who like to get outraged by things, so they don't bother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Not talking about this guy. I'd picket his stall, would be more effective.

Would you not be better off minding your own business and letting him to get on with his?
    If there was any fear of there being REAL nazis there you wouldnt be talking about picketing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Who cares, if you are offended by it then GTFO and don't buy his ****... otherwise let people buy what ever it is they want. He is not preaching violence.

Advertisement