Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Can someone elaborate as to what this is?
    I hope it's not traffic using the river walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Ferris+Enright

On the website www.flickr.com/photos/colleenm/sets/72157608557975369/
    you will see old pictures of Listowel from 1972.
    Can anybody identify any of these people for me?
    Also a comment for the man on the street saying he was 100 years old.
    Would anybody know this man's name and if he is still in good health?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 XsarahraffertyX

Isnt Dean Foran So Cute Lol
    Random I Know =))

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Sunday June 7 2009

• Advertisement

The results of the local election are as follows;

4 FG

M Kennelly
    D Stack
    J Barrett
    T O'Leary

2 SF

M Barry
    J Curtin

3 FF

Marie Gorman
    J Moloney
    T Walshe

Congratulations to all the successful candidates and commiserations to the losers. Hopefully we can look forward to new and better things for Listowel in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

I would also add my congradulations and commiserations to the successful and unsuccessful candidates, been quite close to one who was not successful I was quite worried when I did not see him around yesterday, however when I enquired I was informed that he was preoccupied with a certain match in Killarney and also on grandfather duty, happily he was seen doing the rounds on the his bike again today,
    however now that the new members have been elected to city hall,we like the Skibereen Eagle will be keeping our eyes on them.
    Viva la Doodle.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

SNOW SCORPION:
    Here is Listowel during the fair days that I told you about.
    Sandhillroad.

Sad to say. From here---Phoenix, AZ---I wish Ireland well in the midst of this financial debacle.
    An article in ' The Weekly Standard '---a somewhat right-wing weekly here in America, given to me by a former associate---speaks at length about the closing of Waterford Crystal factory, &, while doing so, recounts ( from its angle) the causes of the failure of the Celtic Tiger. A few years ago I said--attempting some humour---that all should remember that before the Celtic Tiger came a great Celtic Hunger. The USA apears to be rising again and so, perhaps, Ireland should again focus its tourist marketing at North America ( for, as it was the first to dive fiscally, it will surely be the first to float again.)
    Thanks Cherry Tree for the results of the Urban District Council election.
    My favourite didn't make it, but I have no doubt that he will continue to do Listowel justice.

[ Boards.ie tells me that ' SandhillRoadOffline '. Indeed. Forever. 8 Main St. & John fondly remembered.]

She was known as quite a religious woman, spending much time down at St. Mary's.

She often frequented the Murray's next door to us at 7 Main St. Perhaps Frank or Pat ( Murray) would know more about her.

listowel8 wrote: »
    what a wonderful time my son and myself had at listowel races.weather out of this world.Had the pleasure of meeting jim&mary cogan and what a lovely couple.where would we be without there pictures and church bulletins.did not see rain until i came home to ny.had wonderful time just sitting on the castle green and reading the paper with the sun beaming down.what a sight in beautiful weather.then to top it off to sit by my silver river feale and see the sun shine on the river and not worrying about the stock market up or down but enjoying that beautiful view that we enjoyed in our youth.in the space of a few minutes there my old neighbour monty galvin stopped for a chat next vincent carmody arrived on his bike and then my old classmate paddy keane with his dog and laying down on the grass with not a care in the world and chewing on some grass like when we were kids.what great memories of that wonderful town called Listowel.roll on next year.

I have read back to p.98 after which time I had difficulty accessing this thread on my computer. [ It loads now---though painfully slowly.]

I have enjoyed the quizzes posed by Boroman ( tho' my earlier feeble efforts at answering the questions were way off base.) Brother John [ Sheehy] would have enjoyed---& participated---joyfully & mischievously.

Boroman mentioned ' hops ' up back-ways.

Denis Keane & myself hosted a few of these, mostly at Willy Dineen's Hall--he used to give dancinf lessons there--off the backway in Church St. ( above Quills). However, the nuns at The Presentation Convent and then Canon O'Sullivan--then P.P.--took issue with the presumed ' goings-on ' ( mostly ' venial ', I can assure you). Denis & myself then went to Archdeacon Wallace of St. John's C of I and got permission from him to rent ' the Protestant Hall ' ( ? behind Kitty Medells.) [ Boroman: Being from WUWs ---way upper William St., AKA ' poundlane '--you might know where precisley it was.] The ' hop ', as I remember, went off without incident, no sins, Catholic or C of I, being committed.]

Re tunnel between Listowel Castle & the Church Tower in the grave-yard: Ray Bailey & myself manufactured a ' map ' ( & ' antiqued ' it appropriately), persusded Frank Murray ' to find '( in the wall by The castle as it leads to the Island Bridge) it and then we three began to dig a hole to the tunnel---directed by the ' map '---in the middle of Corridan's field off the backway in Church St. Despite that ' map ', no tunnell was discovered. ( That is not to say, however, that one does not exist.)

I love the photos/pics, old & new. Thanks all.

I wonder if Vincent Carmody could be persuaded to upload that photo of the Tom Doodle camapaign--taken in The Small Square ( Main St.)--& looking towards our old homestead of 8 Main St., showing my late mother Moira Sheehy ( nee Madden) in the window of the ' sitting room ' upstairs with Michael & Patrick with her, & Jack Sheehy--my father of fond memory--& myself---I was pushing 8 years old then---standing in the shop doorway. [ ' The Twins '--John (RIP) & Jerry--would still have been in a pram somewhere behind her.]

This thread is a nostalgic & present joy to read and the photos---ancient & modern---marvellous to view. Don't ever stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lark999

Hello

I am in the process of selling my copy of North Kerry Camera Listowel - Vincent Carmody Book - but the hubbie has pointed out that (before it is too late) there may be a better more local based home for it (museum etc). Has anybody got good suggestions?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

lark999 wrote: »
    Hello

I am in the process of selling my copy of North Kerry Camera Listowel - Vincent Carmody Book - but the hubbie has pointed out that (before it is too late) there may be a better more local based home for it (museum etc). Has anybody got good suggestions?

Many thanks

There is a Literary Center in the Town Square by the castle.
    Or maybe St John's Arts center,also in the Square.

There is a Literary Center in the Town Square by the castle.
    Or maybe St John's Arts center,also in the Square.

Here's a start:

< http://www.seebeforeyoudie.net/europe/ireland/Listowel/Listowel.html >

She was known as quite a religious woman, spending much time down at St. Mary's.

She often frequented the Murray's next door to us at 7 Main St. Perhaps Frank or Pat ( Murray) would know more about her.

I'm sorry, I haven't visited the site until today.
    Were you talking about Ena Collins?
    She frequented the Murray's next door to you at the address of 7 Main St.
    I am assuming this is the address that I can write to Frank + Pat Murray?

As BOROMAN knows..I am researching my father John J. Ferris who left
    Ireland in 1921. He was raised in one of the homes by the BROTHERS (don't know which organization) when his parents Daniel and Catherine (Enright) Ferris died from TB in 1910 within 3 months of one another.
    This was something that the family never knew. We knew his father died young and that my father was placed in a home because of it. Seems my father was only 10 years old at the time and he seems to be the only one placed in a home. The next oldest MICHAEL FERRIS was 3 years old than him.
    My father never spoke of Ireland or of the family left behind.
    When I came to Ireland for the first time in November 2007 I then found out my father had 5 more brothers and sisters.
    This is what I am trying to trace ...the rest of his family.
    What happened to them?
    Ena's mother was Nora Ferris who married Pat Collins.
    I am assuming this is Nora...Honora my father's sister.

Church newsletter (delayed because, like boroman, I was on grandfather duties)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jim halpin

congrats to all who have put up so much interesting items on listowel espically the boroman on all his snippets about the tunnels and the floor going down in t o c pub in church street as i knew it . living in the dirha cottages we were the country when it came to the town league can any one remember the boys who went into babies and high infants in the convent school before going onto the boys school in halla realta na maidne into first class straight off. we definatly could have done with an indo in the council. this time around. i think we should re form the old indo party of listowel. any one remember madge regans in church street walshes hall and the las vegas how about the system band great music in our days in saint michaels. if any one has any info on a william o dell it would be appreciated as i got a ww1 death penny for a lady in england as we will if things pick up open the listowel military and historical museum up in the clieveragh industrial estate we should be there no but thanks to the death of the celtic kitten its on the back burner. keep up the great work and the feed backs regards from all on church street/william street [was] and the shop with the manaquin derssed up as the soldier / santa / and mrs o shea jim

Church newsletter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 pauloc

I'm sorry, I haven't visited the site until today.
    Were you talking about Ena Collins?
    She frequented the Murray's next door to you at the address of 7 Main St.
    I am assuming this is the address that I can write to Frank + Pat Murray?

As BOROMAN knows..I am researching my father John J. Ferris who left
    Ireland in 1921. He was raised in one of the homes by the BROTHERS (don't know which organization) when his parents Daniel and Catherine (Enright) Ferris died from TB in 1910 within 3 months of one another.
    This was something that the family never knew. We knew his father died young and that my father was placed in a home because of it. Seems my father was only 10 years old at the time and he seems to be the only one placed in a home. The next oldest MICHAEL FERRIS was 3 years old than him.
    My father never spoke of Ireland or of the family left behind.
    When I came to Ireland for the first time in November 2007 I then found out my father had 5 more brothers and sisters.
    This is what I am trying to trace ...the rest of his family.
    What happened to them?
    Ena's mother was Nora Ferris who married Pat Collins.
    I am assuming this is Nora...Honora my father's sister.

Hello
    I just got your private message now, I'm afraid I don't know much about the family, I do have a lot of photos which might help you, I will get them out and have a look, some of them have names and dates on the back. talk to you again soon

Church newsletter

• Advertisement

pauloc wrote: »
    Hello
    I just got your private message now, I'm afraid I don't know much about the family, I do have a lot of photos which might help you, I will get them out and have a look, some of them have names and dates on the back. talk to you again soon

Thank you so much!!!!
    I am eagerly awaiting the pictures! Again thank you!

After researching for over one year I finally received information about my father John J. Ferris that was confirmed.

MY FATHER WAS PLACED IN A HOME!

As I stated before my father's parents both died in 1910 due to TB.
    My father was the youngest being 10 at the time.
    Finally, after filing numerous forms and sending letters to every agency that I could find..finally the proof!

In the mail, I received a copy of my father's admission to the home from the Archive records of the PRESENTATION BROTHERS in County Cork. (My mother always said my father was born in County Kerry and raised in County Cork.

This home was called the GREENMOUNT INDUSTRIAL HOME in County Cork!

It is only a two page form which lists my father, his age and birthday, from Listowel, County Kerry and the two men who had him admitted to the home and listing that both of his parents were deceased. The reason being "Destitute being an orphan". Also listed was "SENTENCE OF DETENTION" which listed a time period of 5 years!

No need to go into what happened in those homes. We all know..it is plastered all over the news.

At the end of the form when he was released in 1915...it states...he was released to his sister in Listowel. I don't know which sister! I am assuming it is Nora who married Pat Collins who are the parents of
    Ena and Kathleen Collins.

I know Ena never married but I am now searching for Kathleen Collins whom I know has passed but I am searching for her family now. Only then will I hopefully get the entire story.

I can't understand why my father wasn't raised by one of his family. I don't understand.

Whatever happened to my father in that home, we the family paid the price! I hope those people are all suffering in hell just llike the hell my fathered suffered while being inthe home and the hell he suffered in his adulthood!

jim halpin wrote: »
    congrats to all who have put up so much interesting items on listowel espically the boroman on all his snippets about the tunnels and the floor going down in t o c pub in church street as i knew it . living in the dirha cottages we were the country when it came to the town league can any one remember the boys who went into babies and high infants in the convent school before going onto the boys school in halla realta na maidne into first class straight off. we definatly could have done with an indo in the council. this time around. i think we should re form the old indo party of listowel. any one remember madge regans in church street walshes hall and the las vegas how about the system band great music in our days in saint michaels. if any one has any info on a william o dell it would be appreciated as i got a ww1 death penny for a lady in england as we will if things pick up open the listowel military and historical museum up in the clieveragh industrial estate we should be there no but thanks to the death of the celtic kitten its on the back
    burner. keep up the great work and the feed backs regards from all on church street/william street [was] and the shop with the manaquin derssed up as the soldier / santa / and mrs o shea jim

Jim,

Would you remember Ena Collins and Kathleen Collins daughters of Pat And Nora Collins? Would you know whom Katheen married and where she went?

Hi
    I've attached two pictures that you might find interesting, the first picture is inscribed on the back, "To dear Ena, with love from Auntie" This is Noras sister Kathleen, there is another photo which I will scan when I get some time, it's inscribed "To dear Nora, with love from sis Kathleen" in the photo she is standing with two gentlemen, as soon as I get some time I will upload that picture.
    The second photo I've attached is inscribed "To Auntie Ena, taken Age 2 & three months, David Michael Kenny" this must be kathleens son.

I hope these help, I will upload some more when I get a chance.

Regards
    Paul

Pictures!!!! Pictures!!!! Oh thank you so much!!!! Pictures!!!!!!
    How can I thank you!!! You don't know what this means to me!!!
    I have no pictures of my father's family....none!!!
    Thank you, thank you. I am slowly putting names together and now
    pictures. How can I ever thank you!
    On the picture of Katheen Ferris on the roof. It looks like a picture of her on a roof in New York. That's where we are from! I have a picture of my father in his 50's on our roof in NYC as well. Kathleen looks just like my
    younger sister Sharon! I wish I knew how to add a picture of my father but don't know yet but I will soon.
    The next picture that you are going to send has two men next to her.
    I wonder if it is my father John? Wouldn't that be something!
    Eagerly awaiting for more pictures...
    The picture of Kathleen's son David Michael Kenny. Oh...a name Kenny to trace. Thank you so much. He's so cute.
    How did you come about having these pictures?
    Please, please...send me anything that you have.....
    Anything.....
    Thank you so much!!!!!

Church newsletter

Would anybody know if Culchione is still around?

culchione wrote: »
    I am a Listowel native but living in the capital for near 55 years. Our eldest daughter having spend Christmas with my sister in the town has introduced me to the Listowel thread on Boards.ie and this I find most interesting.I have spent
    the past week reading past pages and many of the entries are ones which I myself can readily identify with ie. the spa,
    Kennys Height,( I was a friend of Pat Kenny who had a butchers shop in Church St., his brother John had one also in the Square).The Plaza and Astor cinemas, the Bandsroom in William St. and another hall in Church St. which I think was owned by a Chute man were where we learned how to deal a mean hand of poker and to emulate the greats of the day at the pool and billard table.
    Another memory was evoked with the entry of DoodleAvenue, we were in the middle of our Leaving exam. at St. Micks when news of Doodles coming to town was announced and come hell or high water would we be denied the chance to act as guard of honour to the Doodle entourage which had been arranged by M.O.C. the late and great Johneen Keane, however to take part we had to dress as if in Mardi Gras, this to add to the frivolity of the evening and also as a disguise so the College President did not recognise any of his star pupils. I remember Bunny Dalton who was in the lead truck with the other musicians asking John B. what music would be appropriate for the occasion and the answer was as many National Anthems as you can think of. A tour of the town was completed via Charles Street and Church Street and to this day I cant forget the faces of the townsfolk who lined the streets, most were of joy and happiness and some in awe, one old woman with rosary beads went on her knees thinking it was the Papal Nuncio while another who having been attic bound for years thought that Doodle was the reincarnation of Parnell. What followed that night was the funniest night I ever spend at home and the night was recalled once again at the post performance reception of Sives Premiere in Dublin in May 59 when I met up with John B.
    DoodleAvenue also mentions the Wilmot family of Church Street,Sheamus(James or Butty) as my father called him, they went to Listowel National, St Michaels and played football, hurling and handball together and when it came for me to look for a place in university (money was very scarce) as my late mother used say Butty Wilmot was not found wanting, He also arranged digs with another Listowel native and which also was home from home.
    The quiz which my daughter finds fasinating is a little too much for me as my general memory is fading but however I do try and help her answer as much as I can.
    Again thanking everybody for the enjoyment they are giving with their news and views and long may it continue.

Attached is Sunday's newsletter

Pictures!!!! Pictures!!!! Oh thank you so much!!!! Pictures!!!!!!
    How can I thank you!!! You don't know what this means to me!!!
    I have no pictures of my father's family....none!!!
    Thank you, thank you. I am slowly putting names together and now
    pictures. How can I ever thank you!
    On the picture of Katheen Ferris on the roof. It looks like a picture of her on a roof in New York. That's where we are from! I have a picture of my father in his 50's on our roof in NYC as well. Kathleen looks just like my
    younger sister Sharon! I wish I knew how to add a picture of my father but don't know yet but I will soon.
    The next picture that you are going to send has two men next to her.
    I wonder if it is my father John? Wouldn't that be something!
    Eagerly awaiting for more pictures...
    The picture of Kathleen's son David Michael Kenny. Oh...a name Kenny to trace. Thank you so much. He's so cute.
    How did you come about having these pictures?
    Please, please...send me anything that you have.....
    Anything.....
    Thank you so much!!!!!

So sorry I haven't been able to get the rest of the photos up, my internet keeps going, will try to sort it out soon

Sunday July 19 2009

• Advertisement

pauloc wrote: »
    So sorry I haven't been able to get the rest of the photos up, my internet keeps going, will try to sort it out soon

That's okay....I check every day....
    Will be happy whenever you get around to putting the pictures on.
    Thank you so much!

Advertisement