Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

I have spoken to Vincent Carmody lately and he told me that he intends to take his message to the the townspeople with his canvass starting next week, the best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Lovely writer...I don't know if you received my message but I want to thank you for the picture of my 1st cousin Ena Collins. She looks a lot like my father and my older sister Joan. I can't believe that she died in 2001. If only I had made it to Ireland before 2007 I could have had a lot of questions answered. I was wondering if you knew anything about Ena from your mother. I understand she was friends with Ena. I know Ena died in London but how did she get back? Did she have family in London that sent her back to Listowel? Was her sister Kathleen still alive in 2001? Did you mother bring her back to Listowel? Do you know what she died from? Was she in a hospital? I would appreciate any more information that you may have via your mother. Just trying to put the pieces together. Ferris+Enright

As I said in my original post I was asked by boroman to put the photograph of Ena Collins on the Listowel thread. That is the extent of my knowledge of Ena Collins. I know that boroman went to considerable lengths to get the photograph. All I did was to scan it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Weekend April 24/ 25

Don't forget Sunday Miscellaney tomorrow is devoted to celelebrating the
    50th. anniversary of the first production of John B. Keane's Sive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

was in Listowel at weekend and saw poster for point to point around,can anyone fill me in on details?
    Im usually found on the tralee thread!
    hope ye dont mind me dropping in!

• Advertisement

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Hi :)
    I put a thread in the general Kerry forum (mods, feel free to consolidate!) asking about accommodation 27th to 30th in Listowel for Writers' Week.
    Someone suggested I post here.

Just looking for a budget B and B or a hostel nothing fancy. The hotels seem booked out or out of our price range. Night of 27th and night of 30th in particular. A friend has been invited down, and we'd like to pop down to support her.
    Thanks a million :)

http://www.writersweek.ie/information_accomodation.htm

The Writers' Week committee have a really helpful accommodation officer in Norella Moriarty. Details of how to contact her are at the above link. She may not be able to find you anything in town but she will put you in touch with people offering accommodation in areas all around Listowel.
    Good luck with your search and enjoy the festival.

Why not check this out for fringe info on Writers' Week.

http://listowelwritersweekfringe.com/wordpress/?feed=rss2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Thanks a mill, didn't know there was a fringe! Having trouble opening that link, will try later. Just assumed the 'official' recommendations were above our budget as the couple we asked about were. I am really looking forward to the festival, particularly some workshops and the storytelling night :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Seems like you got fixed up - hope you'll have a good time. We'd be interested to know how you got on, never been up there myself.

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Anyone have street pics of listowel in the 70s and 80s,its the cars im mainly looking for,but all old pics are great!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Ferris+Enright

As some of you know, I am researching my father's family from Listowel. My father was John J. Ferris born in 1899.
    Yesterday, I found a website that talked about a neighbor setting his 2 dogs on a young lad named Ferris in Gortacrossane. My father's birth place was Gortacrossane. The name of the story is "Setting dog on boy". The article is down on the bottom on the page. The web site is...
    (see the green web address)

[PDF]
    i shows otì. the whole profits ambuli tin, j to | " '**4 he|en ... [URL="javascript:void(0)"][IMG]linkscanner://safe.gif/[/IMG][/URL]

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
    Gortacrossane, for assaulting a young feljlow. ¿named Ferris by setting at him two dogs, as a. \esult of which the boy was bitten very badlyl by ...
    www.limerick.ie/media/Media,5951,en.pdf - Similar
    Original Message

Seems the neighbor set his dogs on the boy and he was badly bitten. The neighbor did wind up in jail.

It was listed in the Limerick Newspaper in 1896. My father was born in 1899 but his older brothers were born in 1883 and 1890.

What I wanted to know is....how could I find the court records for this? Is there a place in town that I could inquire? Where would the court be held?

Any information would be appreciated.

Ferris+Enright

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭pauline fayne

Anyone have street pics of listowel in the 70s and 80s,its the cars im mainly looking for,but all old pics are great!:)
    Hi I'm sure i have some old photos takenduring various trips to writer week since the seventies . will have to root through the boxes at the back of the wardrobe ! Will put them upin a few days

JohnBCollage.jpg

Augusta artist-musician Lillie Morris has a special place in her heart for Ireland, and it seems that Ireland is as fond of her. Since her first visit in 2000, she has returned every year, often to Listowel, a town in County Kerry that has become something of a home base for her.

Special
    Three of Lillie Morris' collages for the Writer's Week festival in Listowel, Ireland, are based on plays by Irish author John B. Keane. There is printed script from the plays in the collages. The fourth collage acknowledges the festival.

Here goes

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Hello everyone,
    Long time no post!
    Hopefully you can see the attached picture of my dog.
    This is a trial run.
    Regards to all.

Pintman

Church newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

Hello everyone,
    Long time no post!
    Hopefully you can see the attached picture of my dog.
    This is a trial run.
    Regards to all.

Pintman

Nice Doggie Pintman......lol...I got one to but his all Black

• Advertisement

I have not posted for a number of weeks so I think its a good time to report that hopefully Summer seems to be making a breaktrough, my turf was cut last Friday and when I spoke to the turfmachine man today and asked him could I expect good drying weather his reply was for me unusual, he said had I heard of the Ash before the Oak, it seems that tradition is that if the Oak tree has leaves before the Ash tree which has happened this year you are in for a good summer, last year it was in reverse, so this year if we have a scorcher thank me ,if we have a bad one blame the turfmachine man !!!!!.
    There has been a slow build up to the election however with a week and a half to go its all systems go. Next weekend (whit weekend) the town will be rocking with a 3 day race meeting, writers week, on top of the usual crowd home for the long weekend.
    Emmets continue on a winning run, having a victory over Tarbert in their eagerly awaited local darby Div. 1 county league clash. They play Dr. Crokes in Killarney next Saturday evening in Round 5.
    I think that the pintmans dog is really smart looking and I bet he would be well able to answer quizes as well,
    Question, when did the Ashes last win the school league ( clue- captained by a mid- 50 year old)

Welcome back Boroman with your little pearls of wisdom.
    Your turfman is like all advertisers. He speaks the truth but what you hear is not always what you get.

"Ash before Oak, we’re in for a soak.
    Oak before Ash, we’re in for a splash."

This saying suggests if the leaves on the ash tree appear first, it will be a wet summer. If the oak comes first, a drier summer.
    The old adage predicts a drier summer than last year. Most people might say that that wouldn't be too hard.

I agree cherry tree, any improvement on last year will be welcome and that includes Kerry to prevail once again

boroman wrote: »
    I agree cherry tree, any improvement on last year will be welcome and that includes Kerry to prevail once again

I wonder if boroman with all his knowledge is inclined to forget that Cork are the reigning Munster champions.

And now we have the poster

VoteforVincent.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

In reply to Boroman's question about when did the Ashes last win the school league, I don't know the year but I think I know the captain and I think he might be a bit miffed at being called mid-fifties. I'd say he's more like young fifties. If I have the right man, he might known as a local wit and raconteur who occasionally sings a song about a goat. Am I getting warm?

Sorry up the Ashes, did you mean the goat or the captain was a young looking early 50ish, you must tell me the year first, one more guess and
    then we will give pintmans doggy a chance.

I'll take a guess and say the year was 1971. It's the captain that is in his young fifties. The goat is dead. Mary-Anne Fitzgibbons fixed him!

Up the Ashes has clearly not been keeping up with all the latest National school football news . Some weeks ago our old alma mater ie. boys national school celebrated the launch of the new playing facilities at the back of the school. Guest of honour to cut the tape was our own Joe Stack from the RTE sports department. The big event of the afternoon was the replaying of the school league between the traditional teams, Boro, Country, Gleann and the Ashes, however this time the teams comprised of all past pupils (some very past it,some well past it and more just past it), at the end of an exciting afternoon the Ashes under the sterling captaincy of one Classy Fitmaurice was victorious. Runner up medals were first presented to the defeated Gleann team and then the Ashes team were presented with the winning gold medals before Classy accepted the Cup in real champion league winning fashion amid tumultuous shouting, cheering and back slapping. As it was the first cup won since 1971 by the Ashes (c)up the Ashes, the team led by Classy did not allow the occasion to go unmarked so unbridled celebrations went on throughout the town and night and many of the hostelries were visited more than once. Before the night was over a tour of the town streets was undertaken and the musical strains of ''up the Ashes'' ''up the Ashes''''up the Ashes every time'' could be heard until the small hours.
    So now the question is answered and not another word about that lovely woman Mary Ann Fitzgibbon and the goat on De Grand Parade.

• Advertisement

That was a kind of a trick question Boroman. However, you are correct.
    I was a sub on BK's team of 1971, or in today's terminology, I was "on the panel". That was back in a time when they didn't dish out medals like they do now. It has been a while since "Up The Ashes" was heard around Listowel. I couldn't believe it was that long ago since The Ashes won the town league. When did the town league finish up anyway?

Advertisement