Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jennifer Maeve

Here we go:

In the first photo from left to right, my Beloved Father Teddy Moloney, then Bunny Dalton, and Bunny's two sons Tommy and Buddy - all of the Bunny Dalton Band.

Second photo: Doc Enright, then my character of a grandfather Chum (James) Moloney, Mrs. Enright and their daughter Peggy.

Third photo is of The Chum and John Pa Devero

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

It is very scary and sad to see businesses closing down.But we must be positive and make a definite effort to support the shops etc in town.We're not in any way blaming the Gardai for the breakdown in law and order but they will have to make themselves more visible around the streets at night.Even though they are very quick to answer when called,they always HAVE to be CALLED as they never seem to know what's happening anywhere other than William St. and life is unbearable for residents there at weekends.As Cherry tree said the roads through the town are like Beruit,soon we'll need a step ladder to be able to cross Church St, the road seems to be getting higher and higher.

I agree, too many businesses arent surviving in this town. To me Listowel has lost the appeal it used to have when I was younger. I feel safer walking in Limerick city on a Saturday night rather than Listowel. Theirs a few number of thugs who are getting away with what they do. And I know who these thugs are and so do the Gardai very well, yet they do nothing about them. In general the guards in Listowel are great blokes, better than alot of guards in other counties. But still need to step it up a notch.

As for the roads, I dont even want to get started on them. HUGE disgrace throughout most of the town. Great first impression coming on to the bridge and hitting around 20 potholes :rolleyes: and then on the tralee road just past the Kerry Co-op entrance, Cant go more than 20mph over that section without the huge risk of getting punctured tyres. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Ferris+Enright

Sorry, if I am cutting in but I can't figure out how to post.

I am trying to speak to Boroman. Boroman...You know me..Maureen from the US tracking down the FERRIS and ENRIGHT family. You mentioned in your post of October 29 2008 about ENA COLLINS from F. Murray. Sean informed me of Nora Collins who married Pat Collins and had daughters Kathleen and Ena. ENA COLLINS is my father (John J. Ferris) niece from his sister Honora (Nora). You mentioned photos http://kerryinternetsolutions.com/007.jpg and http://kerryinternetsolutions.com/017a.jpg Is this ENA COLLINS with children? If so, this is the first picture of my father's family in Ireland.
    The photo of the Listowel Provision Store with Collins in front of it ...is it Pat Collins...Nora's husband? Any information out there would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

Maureen,
    Yes, you are right, the man at the door of the shop was P.J. Collins and he was father of Kathleen and Ena, Ena went to England some time during the 1960s and I dont think she ever married, her sister Kathleen was married I think in Scotland and as far as I know both are dead.

Hi,

Can you tell me what Sean this is? Not from the Ferris family?

• Advertisement

Can you tell me what Sean this is? Sean Ferris?

From 11-8-2008
    Shawn in Listowel Park Shawnee 2008. jpg

Maureen

When Jennifer Meave made mention of her dad Teddy and the Bunny Dalton showband it took me back to our early dancing days, these were first at the Friday night hops at the White Horse Inn (Arms Hotel), Hegartys hall in Lisselton and
    Regans hall at the Six Crosses.
    Bunny and the lads were one of the best local bands and it could be said that they were carrying on the tradition of great musicians from the Charles Street area of the town. Some names spring readily to mind, the Flahertys, Fitzgeralds,
    Spud Murphy, Dick Daly of the Dervo/Daly band, the Moore brothers,Jerin Scanlon, the great Atie Chute(great friend of the Chum) and of course the evergreen Trumpet player himself Jacko Lenihan. In a tribute to the street which appeared in the book ''North Kerry Camera'' the late John B. said Charles Street ''is a place where the spirit of neighbourliness is paramount and its music forever echoing far-off Spanish tangos and romantic waltzes of Strauss'' now as the man says bate that.
    There was another time when a group of young entrepreneaurs/budding musicans and vocalists started a series of concerts
    at the rear of where Landy's photographic studio is now, here was spent many a summer evening listening to our first skiffle band with washboard and base made from a half an empty tea chest, Maudie Shine was the crooner of the day and Martin (CHANG) Hickey made the first of his many guest appearences at this time singing among his all time favourites, Wooden Heart, this with German lyrics included, several of the performers who cut their teeth at these concerts went on to be very succesful in after years in the music business.
    A lot of water has flown under the big bridge since Jennifer Meaves dad Teddy and myself started babies class together
    with Mrs Scanlan upstairs in the Library. I hope he keeps well.

In answer to Maureen, off the top of my head and not wishing to sound too poetic, the Sean in Sawnee is Seanie Moriarty

Darn it! And here I thought I would be seeing a picture of my father's cousin Sean Ferris for the first time. Oh well, maybe someday...

Boroman....is Bill Maloney still available at St. Mary's Parish?

• Advertisement

Yes, Billy Maloney is still beavering away below at St. Marys on our behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church Newsletter

Warm St. Patricks Day greetings to Listowel people everywhere from all in Boroland.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Just a few pics from last year to get us in the mood for our saint's day.
    Beannactai na féile Padraig oraibh go léir.

The yellow sweater in the window is adorable! So beautiful!
    Oh...I wish I was in Listowel on St. Patrick's Day!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RiverFeale

An Irish Blessing For St Patricks Day.

Wishing you a rainbow , For sunshine after showers , Miles and miles of Irish smiles , For golden happy hours , Shamrocks at your doorway , For luck and laughter too And a host of friends that never ends Each day your whole life through!

pat448x394.jpg

Hi,
    My roots are from Listowel with family name of Ferris. I was given information to say my Uncle Patrick Ferris (single) died in 1940 in the County Home in Killarney. Would anybody have any information on this County Home? Was it a home for the aged or used as a hospice? Would it be a home for the poor? I don't understand how a Listowel person would wind up in Killarney. Isn't Killarney a long way from Listowel? Any information would be appreciated.
    Maureen

Church Newsletter

In answer to Maureen re/county home in Killarney I can tell her that the county home she speaks of was built originally as a workhouse, it was used subsequently as the county home to cater for anybody in Co. Kerry who without proper means would be unable to look after themselves.It is used today as an old folks home facility and is known as St.Columbanus Home. I would advise Maureen to contact the Archivist at Kerry County Library and he may have records or would be in a position to advise where information re/ county home might be sourced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Any word on who are the candidates for the local election?

Yes, Pintman, the dogs are already out of the traps, so to speak.
    Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have comppleted their lineup of nominees. Newcomers that I know of are Jimmy Harris, Mike Kennelly and Jimmy Moloney.
    Labour, The Greens and independents are yet to declare. Apart from the 2 incumbents no female candidates have declared as yet. Pity!
    We live in interesting times!

A man was asked who made the decisions in his house? He replied that his wife made the unimportant decisions like "where they would live", "where they would go on holidays", "how many children they would have", "where the children would go to school".

He would make the important decisions like "how they would vote",, " how they would solve the country's economic problems", " what kind of car they would buy".

The question now is " Do the small number of women, elected locally or nationally, have time for these "important" decisions?

The phrase, "This is all we need," comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Bridewell Road

Cherry Tree,please tell us that it's an April Fool's joke!!!:mad:

Bridewell, I'm afraid it's not a joke at all but deadly earnest. I took the photograph of the sign in the window of the premises where this new "head shop" is to open.
    There has been controversy in the media about similar shops in other towns. We are assured that nothing illegal will be on sale here.
    I would be surprised if such a venture could succeed in Listowel in these recessionery times.
    Is maith an scéalaí an aimsir.

Church Newsletter

Can anybody help me to identify the location of this town?

townphotograph600x450-1.jpg

Church Newsletter

• Advertisement

Flyer-Front-1.jpg

Advertisement