Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

boroman wrote: »
    John Sheehy Memorial quiz Round 4.

All questions out of www.irishoriginals.ie
    (1) Moore Street, a sad connection.
    (2) Only second in line but still did my share.
    (3) Is the Clock House in one, two or three. ?
    (4) Where one would be best dressed. ?
    (5) Reidys shop, where was it. ?
    (6) Ding DONG, who rung the bell. ?
    (7) Building with Washington and Listowel connections.
    (8) When did the good woman pay for her papers. ?
    (9) What did James Daly run. ?

(10) Sometimes likened to Penguines.
    (11) Who looked after Cork. ?
    (12) World boxing champ, could there be a connection. ?
    (13) John Synan included, who remained last. ?
    (14) Unfinished, but now been redone.
    (15) Find me a schoolbag. ?
    (16) Often said I was the only one in Ballybunion.
    (17) Where was Foleys Hotel. ?
    (18) A Gunman, where. ?
    (19) What were joined together in 1882. ?
    (20) Upside down in Arthurs ad but here rightside up.
    Answers to emmetsabu by Friday 16th January (midnight)
    Thanks Bob Dylan fan and all I can say is that it takes one to know one.
    Up Poundlane.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church Newsletter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DoodleAvenue

Happy new year to all.

It is with great regret that I read Boroman's challenge to the authenticity of my campaign. It is with the greatest respect I point out that he of all people should realise facts from over fifty years ago are not to be relied on. To illustrate if I were to to take the written word from the past as fact then your answer of Sheamus Wilmot is incorrect. According to this document:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002496642/

his name was James and father was Edward. Sheamus Wilmot as you know was a writer who also wrote in the Irish language. This document clearly shows he had English only.

Things can change...vote for Tom for change.

I would also like to clarify your answer as to where the Barracks move to?

Tae lane is indeed correct but not the full story. Soon after the barracks were burnt they did move to Tae Lane. The rear of the building overlooked the sheep pens of the market at the time. When the officers moved back to their restored site - no one would reside there because the bars were too difficult to remove and remained. Ultimately a family from Fiji moved in. The locals often observed the youngest infant of the family pointing out the sheep to his mother. A crowd would gather enchanted by his childish words "Oh Ba Ma". He often tried to get out through those window bars the locals would take bets. Can he do it they'd ask? 'course he can' they'd say.

That boy grew up to be a well sung about attendee of the Listowel Races who proudly went by the name "Barrack Oh Ba Ma". The family moved to Chicago and were never heard of again. Someone should following up to see where they went.

Finally, those of you who want to park your asses in the new year I urge you to support me in my latest promise:

http://www.doodletom.com/node/13

Pro Mise,
    Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 culchione

I am a Listowel native but living in the capital for near 55 years. Our eldest daughter having spend Christmas with my sister in the town has introduced me to the Listowel thread on Boards.ie and this I find most interesting.I have spent
    the past week reading past pages and many of the entries are ones which I myself can readily identify with ie. the spa,
    Kennys Height,( I was a friend of Pat Kenny who had a butchers shop in Church St., his brother John had one also in the Square).The Plaza and Astor cinemas, the Bandsroom in William St. and another hall in Church St. which I think was owned by a Chute man were where we learned how to deal a mean hand of poker and to emulate the greats of the day at the pool and billard table.
    Another memory was evoked with the entry of DoodleAvenue, we were in the middle of our Leaving exam. at St. Micks when news of Doodles coming to town was announced and come hell or high water would we be denied the chance to act as guard of honour to the Doodle entourage which had been arranged by M.O.C. the late and great Johneen Keane, however to take part we had to dress as if in Mardi Gras, this to add to the frivolity of the evening and also as a disguise so the College President did not recognise any of his star pupils. I remember Bunny Dalton who was in the lead truck with the other musicians asking John B. what music would be appropriate for the occasion and the answer was as many National Anthems as you can think of. A tour of the town was completed via Charles Street and Church Street and to this day I cant forget the faces of the townsfolk who lined the streets, most were of joy and happiness and some in awe, one old woman with rosary beads went on her knees thinking it was the Papal Nuncio while another who having been attic bound for years thought that Doodle was the reincarnation of Parnell. What followed that night was the funniest night I ever spend at home and the night was recalled once again at the post performance reception of Sives Premiere in Dublin in May 59 when I met up with John B.
    DoodleAvenue also mentions the Wilmot family of Church Street,Sheamus(James or Butty) as my father called him, they went to Listowel National, St Michaels and played football, hurling and handball together and when it came for me to look for a place in university (money was very scarce) as my late mother used say Butty Wilmot was not found wanting, He also arranged digs with another Listowel native and which also was home from home.
    The quiz which my daughter finds fasinating is a little too much for me as my general memory is fading but however I do try and help her answer as much as I can.
    Again thanking everybody for the enjoyment they are giving with their news and views and long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

A wee bit out of context...Is there anybody here on Facebook these days...just send me a line if you are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

What a lovely post!
    I really enjoyed reading your reminiscences. I look forward to reading lots more of them. You are an invaluable asset to the thread.
    Go maire tu an céad!

I wish to apologise to DoodleAvenue if he thinks there was any misgivens on my part as to the authenticity of his campaign,knowing as I do that he, coming from a long line of Doodles who over many years have served their country well in good times and bad, I know that if at the end of the campaign he is elected it will not be a case of ''can he or will he'', it shall be ''yes he can and yes he will''
    As regards the issue of the names, Edward and James, in my humble view the Wilmot's were only keeping up with a great Irish tradition and these were probably the names used around the house, Ned and Sheamus used outside.
    Also I wonder has Doodle unknowingly given a cryptic clue to question 7 in our quiz when he mentions a certain building in a certain lane, time will tell.
    Finally, like cherry tree I would extend a warm welcome to culchione and hope that he will continue to remind us of stories from our past.

Someone in Chicago must be looking up the quiz - they sent me on this photo... we have friends in high places...
    barack.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Won't it be nice to have an Ashes man in the White House? Surely those flags in the photo should be red & black!

It is nice to see that Up the Ashes come alive again, I want to make it clear to all concerned that you know who from Chicago that is getting the BIG JOB would have been a Gleann footballer if he had been any good, just over the Golan Heights from the Ashes.

• Advertisement

Well done, Boroman. Thank you for sharing that greeting from the U.S. with us.
    I do however fear that your knowledge of geography is matched only by Sarah Palin's.

Let he(or she) who is perfect throw the first stone.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

It is nice to see that Up the Ashes come alive again, I want to make it clear to all concerned that you know who from Chicago that is getting the BIG JOB would have been a Gleann footballer if he had been any good, just over the Golan Heights from the Ashes.

I don't think that there would be even the remotest chance that Barack would ever tog out for the Gleann. Just one look at the picture will tell you that, Boroman. Look at the picture again and you will plainly see that Barack's tie, and Michelle and the bigger girl's outfits are the Red & Black of the Ashes. Not a hint of the Gleann anywhere. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

I think for once we have to put our town league differences aside for another day and what the photo tells me is that the first family are Emmets supporters, its a pity the big occasion clashes with the North Kerry c/ship final between Emmets and Duagh. They will be watching a telecast over at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, up you boyo.

Round 4 has to be the hardest yet. I have spent hours deciphering the clues and I am goggle-eyed from looking for the answers.
    I miss all my new best friends from previous rounds.
    Please could we finish up with an easy one.

Here goes:

Here goes:
    Thank you for that, Cherry tree. I don't know what's the matter with my log in

John Sheehy Memorial quiz Round 4.

All questions out of www.irishoriginals.ie
    (1) Moore Street, a sad connection.
    (2) Only second in line but still did my share.
    (3) Is the Clock House in one, two or three. ?
    (4) Where one would be best dressed. ?
    (5) Reidys shop, where was it. ?
    (6) Ding DONG, who rung the bell. ?
    (7) Building with Washington and Listowel connections.
    (8) When did the good woman pay for her papers. ?
    (9) What did James Daly run. ?

(10) Sometimes likened to Penguines.
    (11) Who looked after Cork. ?
    (12) World boxing champ, could there be a connection. ?
    (13) John Synan included, who remained last. ?
    (14) Unfinished, but now been redone.
    (15) Find me a schoolbag. ?
    (16) Often said I was the only one in Ballybunion.
    (17) Where was Foleys Hotel. ?
    (18) A Gunman, where. ?
    (19) What were joined together in 1882. ?
    (20) Upside down in Arthurs ad but here rightside up.
    Answers to emmetsabu by Friday 16th January (midnight)
    Cherry tree I hope that you are not throwing in the towel so fast , dont despair sure there is a full week left in this round, have you forgot to say an ould prayer to St. Jude or one of the other Saints for answering cryptic questions.

My Mother used to say "Patience and perseverance would take a snail to Jerusalem".
    This snail has passed through the eye of the needle and is arrived at the wailing wall, answers submitted, and with a week to rest before round 5.

Well there is no getting away from it , while DoodleAvenue is making waves at this side of the pond the American branch of the Doodle family is even making a bigger splash in of all places , Washington D.C.
    I read in todays paper that Barack is intent on having on his family's staff none other than LabraDoodle, another first for the Doodles, congrads Tom.
    and bow wow.

• Advertisement

LabraDoodle-1.jpg

Now recognized breed in America. It has been recognized in Listowel for years.

The originality of the breed can be traced to the kennels of The Doodle of the Stacks Mountains, hence the surname of Labra-Doodle, originally they would have been called Mutts.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

Thanks to my nature I will not even try to be involved in the QUIZ.......I was asked last week by a member on this THREAD to ask my Dad to see if he knows any answers to the Quiz...I would not even ask him...that would be cheating....lol...but I am enjoying how people are getting all freaked out and a wee bit stressed on your endeavour to make them seek the answers....I like your perserverance.....well Poundlaners like to put the pressure on.....yippee kay eh!....Its all good fun....and I enjoy reading everyones comments on here....keep the thread strong...Just an added note my son Ben was in Listowel last week to see his Grandfather.......he loved every minute of it........he told me tonight on his return...."Dad you must have loved growing up in that town"...well he is 22 now...and my answer was..." Its an amazing place with amazing people who know how to live life to its utmost"...then he said " I bet you and "Price of a Pint" got up to alot of mischief in your days there...my comment was.."No comment"...being diplomatic as I could ever be.

Its a pity that Dylan fan does not take part in our quiz, still its good that he is interested and looking on,
    its now 12 hours to go for our answers and we are counting down, again the bewitching hour is drawing near.
    Still no news from Capitol Hill whether or not Labra Doodle will get by the special hearings arranged for him in his effort to gain access to the corridors of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Round 4 has to be the hardest yet. I have spent hours deciphering the clues and I am goggle-eyed from looking for the answers.
    I miss all my new best friends from previous rounds.
    Please could we finish up with an easy one.

I too, am google eyed from this ungodly round.
    I have submitted my answers tonight, and await with much anticipation, the answers.

Answers round 4.
    (1) The oRahilly Ballylongford shot in Moore Street.
    (2) Lartigue No. 2 engine
    (3) Clock House 3 times.
    (4) Lumsdens Tralee.
    (5) William Street looking south.
    (6) Michael Lane.
    (7) Butler Arms Hotel.
    (8) 1916.
    (9) John Street Distillery Cork.
    (10) Nuns, Ballinskelligs No 5.
    (11) Cork Defence Union.
    (12) Tyson, Dublin.
    (13) The late Jim o Sullivan, Charles Street, last of the builders of O Connells Ave.
    (14) Cahersiveen, no.9, Church.
    (15) On counter of Finucanes Harness shop.
    (16) Virgin Rock.
    (17) Waterville.
    (18) Elverys Dublin.
    (19) Tralee Masonic Lodges.
    (20) Ballinskelligs no.4. boats.

leaderboard after the 4th round

(1) cherry tree ...........64
    (2) price of a pint........63
    (3) lovely writer...........62

John Sheehy Memorial Quiz
    Round 5
    This round is a mix of general questions and some more from the irishoriginals.ie website

(1) Where once they served summones, they now serve pints, where ?
    (2) Who spent 439 old pennies on what, ?
    (3) How was the wallpaper delivered, ?
    (4) Name who lived in the shadow of the glen, ?
    (5) Barry the weaver, who is now in his place, ?
    (6) Who bought the francise of the Listowel Sweet Factory, ?
    (7) What did Sarah Quaid do, ?
    (8) Where was Potters Pawn shop, ?
    (9) First suggested name for O Connell,s Avenue was what, ?
    (10) Listowels first 3 cinemas, tell me where they were.?
    (11) A Ballydonoghue poster boy and girl, name them both, ?
    (12) The town's first Technical school was where, ?
    (13) The song says 'I am off to California' but who went to Sacremento, ?
    (14) Throw me down something, what's missing, ?
    (15) What is IF64 about, ?
    (16) How many in a show of strength, ?
    (17) More expensive, barm brack or salmon, check it out, ?
    (18) Where was Listowel's first motor garage and who owned it, ?
    (19) The Sluagh Hall, what was it first, ?
    (20) Cuthbertson was the first but who was second, ?

Answers to be received at emmetsabu not later than midnight Friday 30th January.

Answers round 4.
    (1) The oRahilly Ballylongford shot in Moore Street.
    (2) Lartigue No. 2 engine
    (3) Clock House 3 times.
    (4) Lumsdens Tralee.
    (5) William Street looking south.
    (6) Michael Lane.
    (7) Butler Arms Hotel.
    (8) 1916.
    (9) John Street Distillery Cork.
    (10) Nuns, Ballinskelligs No 5.
    (11) Cork Defence Union.
    (12) Tyson, Dublin.
    (13) The late Jim o Sullivan, Charles Street, last of the builders of O Connells Ave.
    (14) Cahersiveen, no.9, Church.
    (15) On counter of Finucanes Harness shop.
    (16) Virgin Rock.
    (17) Waterville.
    (18) Elverys Dublin.
    (19) Tralee Masonic Lodges.
    (20) Ballinskelligs no.4. boats.

leaderboard after the 4th round

(1) cherry tree ...........64
    (2) price of a pint........63
    (3) lovely writer...........62

Yippee! My endeavours paid off. Good luck to all in the final round.

Steady up cherry tree, what was it a wise man once said,was it ''walk easy when your jug is full''

• Advertisement

For some reason The Church Newsletter did not arrive to day. However there is a link about our footballer down under.

http://afl.com.au:80/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=71331

Advertisement