Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

And thanks to the hard work of the folks at the National Archives, scanning all of the 1911 census information, here is a link to the Ballinruddery residents. I see that Deveraux was a game-keeper.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/results.jsp?surname=&firstname=&county=&townland=ballinruddery&ded=&age=&sex=&submit=Search&sort=&pageSize=100

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Boroman's photograph from 1907. This is the first photograph of a Listowel football team in existence.

This photograph was taken at a dinner in Walshe's Hall ( The Las Vegas)
    in Listowel in 1960 to commemorate the 75th. anniversary of the Listowel G.A.A. club which was founded in June 1885.
    Front, L.to R. Fr. T. O'Sullivan, Roly Chute, Frank Sheehy, Andy Molyneaux, Fr. Michael Keane, Johnny Walshe (Ballylongford), Timmy O'Connor and Jaques Guerin.

Middle L.to R. Jack Larkin, Michael Dowling, Bob Murphy, Pat Shaughnessy, Patsy Walshe, P.J. Maher, John O'Flaherty, Sean O'Sullivan.

Back L.to R. Maurice Cahill, Bunny Dalton, Dan Hayes, John Joe Kenny,Patsy Leahy, Junior Griffin, Gerald Larkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

thank you cherry tree for the photo from 1960. what great people they were.It brings back great memories of those wonderful carefree years when football was king.Sad to see so many have left us.the only people left in the picture i think are mike dowling,johnnyO flahertyand the man who still looks the same junior griff.40 plus yrs. at mckennas did not knock too much out of him.I spent one year as assistant paint mixer to tim shanahan at mc kenna"s in the early 60s at 30 shillings a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Just back from an enjoyable visit to Listowel with wife and kids.
    Kids loved it despite the scattered sunshine.
    Met Cherry Tree, Lovely Writer and Boroman. Also spied Arcade on the street.
    Heard he has some posting on You Tube, yet to see it.
    Anyone know where I can find it?
    Could not find any sign of Doodle Avenue.
    Maybe he's vacationing in Duagh.
    Hope to return to posting more often in future.

Regards to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

I'm just back from a visit to Listowel/Ballybunion with the wife & kids myself. I didn't meet anyone from boards at all as Price of A Pint did, although I did spot Arcade driving a white van in Cavan of all places.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

Yes it was nice to have a visit from the pint man, however short and I am sure that he will shortly again be imparting his words of wisdom to us. Listowel8 revived memories of old Listowel when he wrote of his apprenticeship in the paint mixing department under the watchful eye of his mentor Tim Shanahan. I wonder for the benefit of the other readers could he name the other staff at the time.
    Took a stroll up to the restored Lartigue this afternoon, the whole experience should not be missed, the museum is been added to all the time and the old archival film in the little theatre is a must see.
    I got news today of a book launch which is going to take place on Saturday October 24th at St. Johns, this is the long awaited book of colour photographs of Listowel in the recent past, these photographs have been taken by Mary Cogan of Cherry Tree Drive and it is to her credit that she has now published them in book form. This 240 page book will make the perfect Christmas present for anyone from Listowel or anyone who loves the town.’ Listowel Through a Lens’ will be launched by our own Billy Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

Welcome back Price of a Pint from across the pond...I bet you had a great time

Welcome back Price of a Pint from across the pond...I bet you had a great time

All was well except the toe truck/trip incident .............!!

• Advertisement

So what happened?????

A question for you Boroman my fellow Poundlaner ...In the photo of "Listowel Independents" are any of those with my surname related to me, my wife thinks one of them looks like someone who could have lived at #31

boroman,if my memory serves me the staff at mckennas during my year there was mr.Ohay&paddy walsh managers.michaelOneill,pat houlihan and john lynch electrical dept.tim shanahan and myself paint dept.plus i got a promotion to include parrafin oil and cresote manager.then we had dick kiely,john daly and ned connell and patrick walsh front counter.kathleen clifford in houseware,mikey connor and the ageless junior griffin on bike repair.michael crowley and leslie buckle on electronical repairs.brendan daly,michael collins office also eileen obrien cashier and last but not least young mr.jack mckenna who is now old mr.mckenna(90plus).who did i leave out boroman?

Firstly on two points, I must give full marks to listowel8 for the full list of the McKenna’s staff which he has supplied, if that question came up on the quiz last year you would have got full marks, the year you served there made a man of you, maybe not a rich one, still you cant have everything !!!!
    Sorry my ould fellow boroman (Bob Dylan fan) the O Connell football tradition did not go back as far as 1907, Benny would have been the first torchbearer when he starred with the Boro and Listowel back in the late 30s and 40s, then of course young Tommy was next, he played with St. Mick’s and also Listowel and now Tommy’s two boys play with Tarbert, Benny told me once that he had great tussles with Mikey Kennelly, father of Timmy and grandfather of Noel and of course our Swan Tadgh.
    Listowel Strollers.
    Today we continued with our Saturday ramble, we drove to Tralee where we parked our cars at the Aqua dome, we then walked back by the canal as far as Blenerville bridge, we then continued out along the northern edge of the bay as far as The Spa (about 4/5 miles, stopping of at the Oyster Tavern for a sos where we were treated to soup and sandwiches by the prop. James McGrath, after this we were well fortified and with the wind to our back we were back to Tralee and the cars in next to no time, weather perfect, company great and the scenery out of this world. Next Saturday we head for a walk out at Kerry head. Again reading this that would care to join the group
    may do so by meeting up before we leave from the car park near Carroll’s yard on Saturday morning at 10. 30

For all who would like to visit the Ladies strand in Ballybunion 24/7 without stirring from the computer can now do so with the help of a newly erected webcam on top of the Ballybunion sea and cliff rescue building, just log on to,
    www.visitballybunion.com

Church newsletter

Listowel Strollers.
    Today Saturday 12th we drove to Ballyheigue where we were met by Brid Supple a local walker who had kindly offered to lead us on our trek around Kerryhead. This was the most demanding of the walks so far, however even though it is only a relative short distance from Listowel none of our group had gone walking around the head before and I must say that we were all amazed by the stunning views on all sides of the walk which we took. Next weekend we take a break but however we resume on Saturday 26th with a visit to Ballyduff and the Cashen walk, again anyone wishing to join with us can do so.

Congrats. to everyone involved in the tojan effort made this year in order to improve Listowel's mark in the Tidy Towns Competition.
    The gold medal is well deserved. Our town is looking spectacularly beautiful.
    Take a bow, everyone.
    I hope someone will post a photo of you all.

It was great to see the lady beach in BB. on sunday with the crowds on the beach and swimming.It is beautiful when you get the good weatherIt looks as if listowel has a Rabbi as the weather is supposed to be great for the next few days while other meetings in ireland had to be cancelled over the last few weeks.If anyone is interested the listowel races can be seen live on TG4 most of the week.Also you can watch racing from listowel on attheraces.com for free shortly after the races are run or later when you want to check the archives.I will be missing them for the first time in over 20 yrs.I watch racing from ireland whenever their is racing and some of the english tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭lukin

boroman wrote: »
    For all who would like to visit the Ladies strand in Ballybunion 24/7 without stirring from the computer can now do so with the help of a newly erected webcam on top of the Ballybunion sea and cliff rescue building, just log on to,
    www.visitballybunion.com

:D

• Advertisement

No doubt everyone is enjoying the fine weather for the races.
    Glad the gods finally came to their senses to let racing start.
    Anyone got a hot tip for the National?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

listowel8- You did a very good job of listing the staff at McKenna's shop. There were at least a half dozen in the "yard" the only one I remember is Wolfe. What happened to Faleys, Latchfords and Ranks ?

the only people i remember in mckennas yard was mike wolfe,john sexton in the office mikey mahoney & his brother johnny ,g.dore,joe doyle.As far as faleys is concerned the only one i can remember is timmy lyons(mountcoal)and a mcgrath from up bedford who i just saw yesterday in the woodlawn area of the bronx waiting for a bus.as for latchfords there was mr.reidy his daughter kitty who did the books and of course ned shanahan the father of my mentor timmy at mckennas.john kirby came later.i left the town at 18 so 46 years ago is a long time to remember when it is hard enough to remember what we had for breakfast yesterday.I dont remember anyone at ranks,maybe boroman will know. ps. price of a pint ruby walsh won the kerry national again. weather still good.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

John (?) Guiney R.I.P. from Charles St. also worked in McKenna's yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

Listowel8- Your memory is far better than mine. Faley's had a hardware store across from the old Post Office and a yard on the back lane that ran toward Market Street from the Creamery he also had a farm out the Ballybunion Rd in Craughatoosane. I believe his daughter married one of the Walsh's from the clothing store that McKenna expanded into on the corner. Paddy Flahavin drove the delivery horse and cart he lived in the houses built by the guy from Ballylongford (Gorman ?) on the Ballybunion Rd in Dirha east. The Rank's guy had a French sounding name and drove a horse and cart in and out Convent Street (a continuation of Market Street past the Convent and what used to be a small hospital.) I believe he lived a few miles back that road.. In the fifties he would have been in his sixties at least and had been a fixture there for decades. Might begin with Br or Be. Of course at the time I thought that the whole Huguenot crowd were all of old Irish extraction. When I went to the Molyneaux racetrack near Paris for the first time I was wondering if one of our boys was involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ballyb Rescue

Hi all,
    Ballybunion Sea & Cliff Rescue are completing our annual Abbeyfeale to Ballybunion Boat push tomorrow. Departing Abbeyfeale at 08.45am and hoping to arrive in Ballyb at 6pm. We will be collecting along the way.

Please support!!

have had a quick look at the thread before I head up to Dublin for the match. Will reply in more detail when I get back. Would suggest to readers to look up www.irishoriginals.ie which contains a lot of photographs and info. on the town.
    UP THE KINGDOM.

watched the races live on TG4 and it was great to see the big crowds and of course to see the beautiful weather all week.they had 24,000 on kerry national day.I saw lovely writer been interviewed on it and she looked wonderful.If you would let us know about the book that you have coming out and the site.every success with it.From a kerryman to a cork woman,Go Kerry on Sunday.

Church newsletter

• Advertisement

Nothing to say............UP KERRY !!!!!

Advertisement