Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Sunday July 26 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

I do not know why but I am having great difficulty when I tried to post the newsletter for the last two weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

I took this photo of the Island on a recent visit to the castle. If you haven't taken the tour - it's well worth a visit. Very informative.

Church newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭J.R.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Ferris+Enright

J.R.

Thanks so much for the wonderful pictures of Listowel! I have been trying to find pictures during this time to picture how my father John J. Ferris lived. My father was born in 1899 and came to the US in 1921.
    My father's sister was Nora (Honora) Ferris who married Patrick Collins from the Bacon store on Church Street. Their daughters were Kathleen and Ena (Catherine Mary) Collins.

Would you are anybody know if the Murray family stills lives on Main Street?

Any information would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

the murrays have left main st.over 35 plus yers.they are in different parts of ireland.as a matter of fact the 15 plus houses that made up main st. no one lives in any of the houses now. very sad but different times.Ena taught me in the vocational school(which was just across the street from enas home)in 1961.sady i left for england in 63 and then to new york in 1965.she was a nice lady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Ferris+Enright

listowel8 wrote: »
    the murrays have left main st.over 35 plus yers.they are in different parts of ireland.as a matter of fact the 15 plus houses that made up main st. no one lives in any of the houses now. very sad but different times.Ena taught me in the vocational school(which was just across the street from enas home)in 1961.sady i left for england in 63 and then to new york in 1965.she was a nice lady.

Dear Listowel 8,
    Did you know anything about Ena? Did you know her mother Nora?
    Did you know anything about Ena's family? I was told that Ena was very good friends with the Murray's and they gave me the address of their home. I didn't realize that the Murray's were gone.
    I was looking for anybody who remember Ena ...her mother Nora or what happened to Kathleen and where she went.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RiverFeale

Many thanks for the wonderful collection of photos of Listowel

Church Newsletter

• Advertisement

This is details of the the Lartigue railway including video footage of the reconstructed railway.

http://railforthevalley.wordpress.com/2009/08/08/lartigue-monorail-a-very-early-gadgetbahnen-a-history-lesson-for-translink/

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ChurchStreet

I have in my ownership a rather old holy picture which came form 107 Church Street, Listowel a number of years back. Micheal Keane, a former school master was the previous owner of 107 Church street and prior to Michael, his Aunts were. The holy picture has the insription at the back which says "To Aunt Lil & Tessie, From Sr M Raphael". I was wondering would somebody out there from the Keane family, be interested in this piece of the family memorabilia.

Church newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

J.R. wrote: »

Could someone please confirm for me where exactly the photos titled "Demesne" were taken. Is it when the town park now is?

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

For those in town who are regular walkers and who would like to join up with others on a organised Saturday morning walk, then you can join up with the Listowel strollers who meet up by the racecourse bridge at Carrolls yard each Saturday morning at 10.30. I will post details of walks taken up to now shortly.

Listowel Strollers.
    A Listowel walking group was set up some months ago; this was in the main to facilitate regular walkers with one organised weekly walk in the company of like minded people.
    Walks undertaken already have been,
    (1) The Sive walk, from the old railway gate on the Ballybunion road, back the old track line as far as the forge road, then up and around through a circuit of Sandes bog, returning home via the rail line again.
    (2) From Carroll’s yard along the river bank, under the Big Bridge, then up through the Golf course, up past the Spa through Connors wood and up to the Falls, then up Brennan’s road which brought us back out at Skehenerin and then back to town.
    (3) The August weekend walk took in two stages, the first, on Saturday was a walk through the Lyre bog lands, this was organised by the Dan Paddy Andy festival committee and on Monday the 3rd the Sean mc Carthy festival committee in Finuge hosted a walk and turf cutting demonstration in Enismore bog, included also was a contribution on the history of bog and wildlife from the well known Eamon de Butleir.
    (4) August 8th saw a return to the Lyre walk.
    (5) On Saturday 15th we drove to Abbeyfeale, leaving our cars at the old railway station we walked from there on the old line to the old Devon Road station and then returning back to the cars. This route is been looked after by a very active West Limerick committee and they are to be congratulated with the pristine condition in which it is kept.
    (6) Yesterday August 23rd saw us returning to the Devon Road station in our cars and from there we hiked along the line up to, and in through the Barnagh tunnel. For me and many of the others this was a poignant journey as the last time we had been through this tunnel was on our way to the emigrant ship and England. However on this occasion it was at a more leisurely and less stressful pace. The tunnel can be accessed from the viewing area up at Barnagh, and there are well appointed sign-boards with the various facets of information at this site. The tunnel alone is home to very many species of the Irish bat family.
    Next Saturday there are two walks organised for Ballyheigue, these are been hosted by bird watch Ireland, we intend to leave from outside Carrolls yard for Ballyheigue at 9. 45. All are welcome, membership of the club is open to everyone.

The Demesne was situated on the Duagh road, it was owned by the Knight of Kerry. The main entrance and gate was about 300 yards from the Big Bridge. What would have been one of the gate lodges is now occupied by the Wixted family. The avenue from here to the main house(long gone) was approx. 3/4 of a mile long.

boroman wrote: »
    The Demesne was situated on the Duagh road, it was owned by the Knight of Kerry. The main entrance and gate was about 300 yards from the Big Bridge. What would have been one of the gate lodges is now occupied by the Wixted family. The avenue from here to the main house(long gone) was approx. 3/4 of a mile long.

Thanks boroman. You have confirmed what I thought. I was sure those pics were of the area and riverbank near the Castle. My wife who was reared a stones throw from there adamantly disagreed!

The "avenue" is very overgrown now and will have totally disappeared before long just like the salmon fisheries and piggeries near the castle. Pity.

Sorry, should have clarified in previous post that it is Ballinruddery Castle I mean not the one in town.

• Advertisement

In my reply to Ollaetta re/ the demesne, I mentioned one gate house, now Wixteds, was Devereuxs, there were two others which would have been secondary to the former mentioned, one which stood on the site where Tom Quilters house now is, this was occupied by a family of Dowlings, the third which still stands is located down the road where McAuliffe’s had the chicken hatchery, this was occupied by the Heffernan family.
    In his Topographical Dictionary of 1837, Samuel Lewis having visited Ballinruddery was clearly impressed and described it as follows,
    ‘’ beautifully situated in a richly wooded demesne on the banks of the Feale, the house is an irregular building partly thatched and partly slated, the cottage front is filled with a profusion of climbing plants, a fine carriage road extends for upwards of a mile through the demesne nearly parallel to the windings of the river’’
    Ollaetta can count himself lucky that his Queen is from such a lovely part of the Kingdom!!

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

In my reply to Ollaetta re/ the demesne, I mentioned one gate house, now Wixteds, was Devereuxs, there were two others which would have been secondary to the former mentioned, one which stood on the site where Tom Quilters house now is, this was occupied by a family of Dowlings, the third which still stands is located down the road where McAuliffe’s had the chicken hatchery, this was occupied by the Heffernan family.
    In his Topographical Dictionary of 1837, Samuel Lewis having visited Ballinruddery was clearly impressed and described it as follows,
    ‘’ beautifully situated in a richly wooded demesne on the banks of the Feale, the house is an irregular building partly thatched and partly slated, the cottage front is filled with a profusion of climbing plants, a fine carriage road extends for upwards of a mile through the demesne nearly parallel to the windings of the river’’
    Ollaetta can count himself lucky that his Queen is from such a lovely part of the Kingdom!!

It was a great shame that a local quarry-man got the go-ahead to destroy it though. Another potential tourist spot, and natural habitat gone down the toilet.

I concur with Ejmaztecs view of the destruction by the Quarryman on what was once one of the loveliest walks in the Listowel area, however the faceless people in the Kerry County Council who were responsible in granting permission in allowing such a large scale quarry to be opened in such a picturesque riverside area are equally to blame.
    Lately I got a copy of the deed which was drawn up on the 10/10/23 between the reps. of the Knight Of Kerry and the various purchasers of the estate land, in this are the different stipulations which the new landowners, their heirs and assigns would undertake in the upkeep of roads, etc, it also is very clear in respect of rights of ways. Not having a legal mind procures me from making judgement on the current status of this document. The demesne and its walks though used by some from the town over the years did not have the same popularity as Gurtinard, this was mainly due to its appeared inaccessibility. Beyond the Big Bridge and on the other side of the river. Also the Land Lordism attitude of some landowners made it uncomfortable for some who wished to visit the demesne.
    A few years ago a young engineer that we had here in the Urban Council told me that he was investigating the possibility of the erection of a foot bridge from the Falls area over to the Ballinruddery Castle side. He was promoted to another area shortly after, so that was the end of that matter.

I sometimes get questions like this that I am unable to answer. I only came to town in 1973.

I wonder if some of the " older" readers of the thread could help me out.

I wonder would you have any information about Timithoy O'Connor he taught in the school ( St. Michaels) in the 1950's . He lived in Courthouse road

I concur with Ejmaztecs view of the destruction by the Quarryman on what was once one of the loveliest walks in the Listowel area, however the faceless people in the Kerry County Council who were responsible in granting permission in allowing such a large scale quarry to be opened in such a picturesque riverside area are equally to blame.
    Lately I got a copy of the deed which was drawn up on the 10/10/23 between the reps. of the Knight Of Kerry and the various purchasers of the estate land, in this are the different stipulations which the new landowners, their heirs and assigns would undertake in the upkeep of roads, etc, it also is very clear in respect of rights of ways. Not having a legal mind procures me from making judgement on the current status of this document. The demesne and its walks though used by some from the town over the years did not have the same popularity as Gurtinard, this was mainly due to its appeared inaccessibility. Beyond the Big Bridge and on the other side of the river. Also the Land Lordism attitude of some landowners made it uncomfortable for some who wished to visit the demesne.
    A few years ago a young engineer that we had here in the Urban Council told me that he was investigating the possibility of the erection of a foot bridge from the Falls area over to the Ballinruddery Castle side. He was promoted to another area shortly after, so that was the end of that matter.

Points well made. The Avenue was a beautiful walk and an oasis of calm. I remember some effort 10/15 years ago to make it a marked walk but it obviously came to nothing.

Boroman, I'd be very interested to learn where you turned up the Deed from 1923.

Timothy O Connor taught in St Michaels from 1906 until 1953. He was by all accounts a wonderful teacher and was a master of the classics, Latin and Greek.
    Timmy as he was known was born in 1887, in the 1912 census he was living in what is now 35 Patrick St. with his father Denis (a widower) who was a master carpenter, a brother Batty and sister Delia, also living as a lodger with the family was Julia Dowling from Coolard, she subsequently got married to Timmy. He was a good footballer and played with the Listowel Independents in 1907. (team photograph is in Listowel and the GAA 1885-1985), he retained his love of the game all his life, while chairman of the Listowel football club in 1936 he was instrumental in getting a lifelong friend Maurice Walsh (of Quite Man fame) to present a set of jerseys (emblazoned with the black cocks feather chest) to the club.
    Timmy and Julia lived at 2 Courthouse Road and had a family of six, Buddy(Dennis), Tim, Tom, Maureen, Noreen and Patricia . Timmy died in1967.

In reply to Ollaetta re/ Ballinruddery indenture of 10/10/1923, the copy that I have may have come from a family member of one of the original tenants. The people mentioned in it are as follows,
    Patrick Faley, Timothy Dowling, Denis Curtin, Thomas Kennelly, Charles Purcell, Michael Cronin, Maurice Dowling, Maurice O Connell, George Gleasure, John Dowling, Peter Dowling, John Keane, Michael Sullivan, Daniel Moriarty, John Purcell, Michael Dore, Patrick Stack, Joseph Heffernan, Joseph Smith, Richard Harnett, Daniel Stack, James Kennelly, Patrick Dooling, Jeremiah Mc Auliffe, Thomas Connell, Thomas O Connor, Maurice O Connor and Daniel Stack.
    All the above have signed the indenture as the new landowners with Arthur Henry Brinsley Fitzgerald and Dame Amelia Catherine Fitzgerald on behalf of the Fitzgerald family, the Solicitor who drew up the deed was Robert A Macaulay of Listowel.
    This indenture also included land in Inchymagilleragh, Dromin Lower and Skehanierin Lower.

I came across this recently in dealing with the handball Alley.

This might evoke some memories that could be shared with the people on the Thread.

http://irishhandballalley.blogspot.com/2009/08/listowel-co-kerry.html

• Advertisement

In reply to Ollaetta re/ Ballinruddery indenture of 10/10/1923, the copy that I have may have come from a family member of one of the original tenants. The people mentioned in it are as follows,
    Patrick Faley, Timothy Dowling, Denis Curtin, Thomas Kennelly, Charles Purcell, Michael Cronin, Maurice Dowling, Maurice O Connell, George Gleasure, John Dowling, Peter Dowling, John Keane, Michael Sullivan, Daniel Moriarty, John Purcell, Michael Dore, Patrick Stack, Joseph Heffernan, Joseph Smith, Richard Harnett, Daniel Stack, James Kennelly, Patrick Dooling, Jeremiah Mc Auliffe, Thomas Connell, Thomas O Connor, Maurice O Connor and Daniel Stack.
    All the above have signed the indenture as the new landowners with Arthur Henry Brinsley Fitzgerald and Dame Amelia Catherine Fitzgerald on behalf of the Fitzgerald family, the Solicitor who drew up the deed was Robert A Macaulay of Listowel.
    This indenture also included land in Inchymagilleragh, Dromin Lower and Skehanierin Lower.

boroman, thanks for that information. It is very interesting. I have sent you a personal message about it.

Advertisement