Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Guide

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Can anybody give me their opinion on Bentleys ? Am going there next week.

Any recommendations on what to have ?

On another note, went to Town Bar and Grill for lunch last sunday, very nice I thought it was. The clam chowder, and kidney starters were delicious. Had a great pork dish which reminded me of the one at Mint.

Only low point was a tomato and basil panna cotta. What was I thinking getting that...Tasted even worse than it sounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Some recommendations:

Hop House - Parnell St
    Every time I go I have the Boodae Zigae (Kimchi soup with tofu and egg) - so awesomely spicy, if i go with friends we get the big version to share and fight over who gets the unidentifiable but oh so tasty processed meat. Their sushi is also really really good.

One Pico
    I've eaten in a lot of restaurants around the world and this is definitely in the top 5 for service. Of course it helped that my friend knew the waiter and we got a bunch of freebies like cocktails and petit fours but the whole meal was amazing from start to finish. Worth the 100 euro per head and more.

Jade Chinese Restaurant
    Went there after reading some reviews on Menupages looking to satisfy my craving for Ma Po Tofu and spicy eggplant. Got both and more...everything is MSG free, very authentic and tastes amazing. Get the Chinese Menu ftw.

Bu Ali
    Ok so it's not really a sit-down restaurant (well it is but I've never seen anyone in there) but this is the best Indian food I've ever had outside of my house and my mum is a mean cook. Second time I've posted about this today and am about to head there now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Bellagio in Terenure - newly opened, very stylish indeed. Go along Clanbrassil Street and up the Harold's Cross Road, and it's on your right as you enter the village.

A square room seating around 50 without being at all noisy; mouse-brown tiles, with a beautiful line of glossy red-streaked fired tiles to lead you in; the room is filled with tables, most seating four but a couple seating six, and the lighting is jazzed up by electric-blue lights around the edge of the ceiling.

It's run by Italians, and there are too few waiters - just two, as far as I could see, racing around 50 covers last night.

The food is mostly delicious, though the portions could be bigger. Stunning scallop starter, delicious mussel starter; there's a pasta course and then a main course; two of us had risotto as our main course, which wasn't a great idea - nice risotto though not mind-bending, but the portion is a pasta-course size.

One opted for the veal, but it had run out (we'd arrived at 7.45), so defaulted to chicken, which was tasty but cooked perhaps a little too thoroughly.

We ordered a green salad, which was very good.

The wine was nice, and the waiter was helpful and definite in his opinion of it.

The desserts included fairly rich things such as profiteroles and ice cream; sorbet was offered, but again had run out or wasn't available. The coffee was perfect.

The prices were reasonable and it's a great local. Will go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 coolwater

Just got a call from a friend of mine..

Head Chef of Hartleys Restaurant has been let go with zero warning - he got that place up & running & has been there since day 1. It's had rave reviews & he put his heart & soul into the place resulting in a commended award for Best Restaurant 2008 at the food & wine awards.

Its disgusting how some employers treat their staff. I for one along with a large group of regulars in Hartleys will be taking our business elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

RVP11 wrote: »
    If you would like to taste the worst indian take-away in Kildare
    go to the TIKKA HOUSE in Kildare Town.We did and the experience is just a taste of salt, so if you like salt,your taste will be indulged at this restaurant.

I've always found this to be a superb restaurant. Quality of food is excellent and have never experienced a salt taste - salt is normally not used in indian cooking. Owner also has Jaipour in newbridge which is very highly regarded. - I'd guess you were just unlucky or your taste buds didn't agree with the spices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Przemyslaw

Beruthiel, thank you for an advice. The food in El Bahia was lovely, service was very good. I'm going back there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 johnnyacel1

TacT wrote: »
    My favourite place is now dead, it was Ayumiya on Newtownpark avenue, Blackrock. (japanese - freshest crunchiest and tastiest bits and bobs ever :)

atm the Sichuan restaurant on the Lower Kilmacud road (next door to the local - Dicey Reilly's formerly the Mill House has to be one of the best chinese meals I've had, although quite pricey :(

yea it good alright, but the best chinese iv had is jade garden in kells co. meath. its out of the way, not in a great town but it superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Przemyslaw wrote: »
    Beruthiel, thank you for an advice. The food in El Bahia was lovely, service was very good. I'm going back there!

Was in here on Saturday night. Service was abysmally slow (I presume that they didn't have enough staff). I liked the food but didn't think that it was spectacularly great. I'd guess that it's a place that trades on its atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Was in Bentleys last night-richard corrigans restaurant on stephens green. It was absolutely brutal. Starters were practically non existent as they were so small and mains were very bland. In the middle of the dinner there was a ton of abusive screaming-the chefs having a fight! The whole restaurant stopped, it sounded like a bunch of drunks brawling! Service very very slow

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Et Voila (French Bistro), Irishtown, New Ross, Co Wexford

Mrs Billy & I were treated to a night out thanks to the out-laws on Saturday.
    Just to get the setting right - The Irishtown in Ross is the very last place you'd expect to find a restaurant of this calibre.

The interior is modern & stylish without being in-your-face. Nowhere like Pauline's Bar next door or The Golden Grill up the road (Rossonians will know what I'm talking about).

Anyway onto the grub...
    Mrs Billy started with a goat's cheese tartlet with an accompanying salad/salsa. A decent portion & very tasty. Cheese was beautifly aged.
    I had confit duck with parsnip puree & a passionfruit jus. Very nice indeed - the flavours really complimented each other. The only gripe was the portion was very small for a man of my appetite.

There was a bit of a delay between the starters & mains, but this was tempered by a vodka & fruit juice shot. Kind of a sorbet, but without being frozen.

For mains, Mrs Billy had the most wonderful 1/2 lobster in a brandy, foie gras & mustard sauce. I cannot tell you how nice this was! I had a duo of monkfish & turbot in a Pernod sauce. The monkfisk was cooked to perfection, but the turbot was too salty & was overpowered by the Pernod. It could have been a fillet of plaice for all I could taste.

The above was washed down with a very palatable Fleury at an even more reasonable €29.

For dessert Mrs Billy went for a scrumptious duo of light praline on a heavier chocolate mousse. I did my usual of a brandy & a coffee.

Total including tip was €130.

The interesting this was that we had spoken to some people who had been there the week before & they had advised up on a number of dishes. None of these dishes were on the menu that night. The owner/chef is obviously very happy to keep his menu on the move with the best of ingredients he can get at any one time. Bravo "Et Voila"! We'll be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Anyone ever been to 'La Caverna' in Temple Bar?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

Anyone been to the new Italian in Dun Laoghaire where Roly's used to be?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Was here about 3 weeks ago for lunch on a Saturday. Thought it was ok, don't think I would go back. Have been before and had a completely different experience. I was expecting more consistency from a 2* restaurant.

We went with the lunch menu, with 4 out of the 5 ordering the soup for starters. One of the diners does not eat pork/red meat, so requested that her soup was served without the panchetta. It came out with the meat in it, so the waiter took it back. And declared to the table that 'it wasn't his fault - the chef made the mistake' (I couldn't believe his attitude, I thought he was messing at the start). So we had to wait for her soup, which took a while and we all sat there with our soup going cold, croutons disintegrating and froth deflating. By the time hers came out, ours was cold and mushy.
    We were also offered bread, I had eaten a mini baguette, which was lovely so I asked for it again when the second round came along. I was told that there were none left, but saw another waiter behind him carrying a basket full of it.
    My main was pork, which was very tough - probably the toughest pork I've ever eaten.
    After most of us had finished, one of the diners was still eating and the waiter tried to remove her dish. When she told him she had not finished he stood near the table staring at her!! He literally hung around to see if and when she was going to put down her fork.
    I ordered the cheese to finish my meal - and was really looking forward to picking from the trolley, which I has spied on its travels around the restaurant. But the waiter took it upon himself to choose cheeses for my plate and I never got to pick what I wanted. We were not the last people to leave at that lunch sitting, so the excuse of trying to get us to hurry on is not valid. Now they did let the vegetarian diner pick from the main menu and charge it as part of the set lunch, which was great. And the tortellini that accompanied my main was amazing, but it was a very small part of my meal which was at the level I was expecting. I am being picky here, but we did pay a lot for lunch and it is a 2* establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

the waiter are the same and they are not professional, that place does not deserve the two stars and the only reasons why it has them is because it is a French place with a French cuisine. This is also why there are only 6 3* michelin restaurants in Italy, but anyway... The michelin guide is pretty 'conservative', and the UK/Ireland version is completely wrong, especially for some non-starred restaurant (namely the 'bib gourmand' places).

It would be great if there were a good guide for Ireland :|

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Chinese: Orchard Court in Bray - amazing service and food!

Indian: Diwali in Dublin city centre....huge portions! V helpful staff.

Italian: Probably Milano...nicest pizzas ever! Little Caesaer's do nice pasta dishes also!

Thai: Mangetu - enough said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 makemineabud

Glad to see there is a thread recommending some restaurants - and there are some great ones to recommend:

Keely's Pub at Dublin Airport - food fantastic
    Pizza Hut - Blanchardstown : staff v. helpful and food good value

There are some that don't warrant recommending:

Apache : Sutton : poor toppings / bad service

Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

Bri wrote: »
    Like to quickly recommend the Purple Ocean restaurant on the Dun Laoighre Pier (above the Ferry landing office). Excellent location, outdoor and indoor seating, great decor and atmosphere. Food (seafood for me but great range) was top class and friendly staff. Price was reasonable enough.

purpleocean.ie I think.

€20 for a 4 course meal on Sundays!!! Nicest meal I've had in a very long time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Anybody know what the Chinese Restaurant in Rush is like.Its the new one where the Cayote Bar was.

€20 for a 4 course meal on Sundays!!! Nicest meal I've had in a very long time..

seafood on sunday?

Room - tables were squashed in, the two people of the of the group who were sitting on tables that were adjacent to others and were constantly being asked to move or people were squeezing behind them. And the waiter couldn't reach me, so I was handed all my meals and my dessert spoon was 'chucked' at me.

Service - waiter was on another planet. Everytime we tried to convey an order the lights were on, but no one was at home. It took a while to order… We were served in a timely fashion though. But that was his only positive. He did arrive at our table with rubbish from another one, plonked it on a plate before he proceeded to clear. He also had to be asked (after a long wait) to return our change. Our water was never topped up, we were never offered any more bread or wine.

Food - more miss than hit. The main complaint was blandness. The ribeye was surprisingly void of flavour, the hollandaise/béarnaise were oddly tasteless. I ordered the liver for mains, which was nice and perfectly cooked. But I got a very small portion. And it was topped by two Denny 'finest quality bacon' rashers. The vegetarian option was a disgrace. Tasteless goats cheese on oily croutons on a small bed of lamb's lettuce. My friend couldn’t eat it. Dessert was more of a hit. Eton mess & crème brulee were quite good. Bread & butter pudding was swimming in its own pool of butter. Which was very off putting.

The dine in dublin menu appeared to offer good value - on average you would have saved €10 - €15 eur on your meal. And the choices also appeared to be decent picks from the a la carte.

• Advertisement

olaola wrote: »
    Room - tables were squashed in, the two people of the of the group who were sitting on tables that were adjacent to others and were constantly being asked to move or people were squeezing behind them. And the waiter couldn't reach me, so I was handed all my meals and my dessert spoon was 'chucked' at me.

Service - waiter was on another planet. Everytime we tried to convey an order the lights were on, but no one was at home. It took a while to order… We were served in a timely fashion though. But that was his only positive. He did arrive at our table with rubbish from another one, plonked it on a plate before he proceeded to clear. He also had to be asked (after a long wait) to return our change. Our water was never topped up, we were never offered any more bread or wine.

Food - more miss than hit. The main complaint was blandness. The ribeye was surprisingly void of flavour, the hollandaise/béarnaise were oddly tasteless. I ordered the liver for mains, which was nice and perfectly cooked. But I got a very small portion. And it was topped by two Denny 'finest quality bacon' rashers. The vegetarian option was a disgrace. Tasteless goats cheese on oily croutons on a small bed of lamb's lettuce. My friend couldn’t eat it. Dessert was more of a hit. Eton mess & crème brulee were quite good. Bread & butter pudding was swimming in its own pool of butter. Which was very off putting.

The dine in dublin menu appeared to offer good value - on average you would have saved €10 - €15 eur on your meal. And the choices also appeared to be decent picks from the a la carte.

thanks for your complete review, from what I read it seems that the quality of the food was not so good, even before it was cooked, can you confirm this?

thanks for your complete review, from what I read it seems that the quality of the food was not so good, even before it was cooked, can you confirm this?

Considering it was a steakhouse we were hoping for more from the beef - maybe it isn't hung long enough? It was cooked as requested, all the food (from the exception of the bread & butter pudding) seemed to be executed well. But most of it was really bland.

Chapter One - was in here for dinner two weeks ago. Thought I'd put up a brief review.

We went for the tasting menu, with accompanying wines for each course. The room itself is lovely - warm atmosphere, not too formal. But you're aware that you're somewhere special.

Service - Martin greets everyone as always and makes you feel welcome. The waiter was professional and the Sommelier was very informative and friendly. We had a great chat with the head waiter after our meal. Cannot be faulted.

Food - the tasting menu was fabulous. We had chestnut soup, scallop ceviche, fois gras, john dory, duck breast, sorbet, Crozier blue and a lemon mousse/dessert/fantastic affair. Every course was accompanied by the glass of wine. And when the food came out the Sommelier came over, explained our dish, the wine and the reason why he picked the pair. Could not fault any of the dishes, all were executed, presented and tasted fabulous. I really enjoyed this as I love to find out more about food and wine - it raised the experience to another level.

Value for money - the whole lot came to €300, which included an aperitif and 7 glasses of different wines. Considering the night of food we received, I think it was fair value. I was struggling a bit when it came to the duck, but I battled through :)

Wouldn't hesitate recommending this to anyone, and I'm counting the days until I go back. I'm dying to try the pre-theatre as it offers great value. BUT getting a booking can be tricky - I had to book about 2 months in advance for a Thursday night sitting (no Friday or Saturdays were available) but I was told that you might have a better chance with table of 4.

olaola wrote: »
    Wouldn't hesitate recommending this to anyone, and I'm counting the days until I go back. I'm dying to try the pre-theatre as it offers great value. BUT getting a booking can be tricky - I had to book about 2 months in advance for a Thursday night sitting (no Friday or Saturdays were available) but I was told that you might have a better chance with table of 4.

Thanks for your review, I was unable to find the tasting menu on the website, they only publish the a la carte menu; how is your bill broken through in terms of wine/menu? How much is the tasting menu itself.

I know that booking is difficult and it really frustrates me, every time I call I cannot pick up a good day/time because everything is booked :|

Thanks for your review, I was unable to find the tasting menu on the website, they only publish the a la carte menu; how is your bill broken through in terms of wine/menu? How much is the tasting menu itself.

I know that booking is difficult and it really frustrates me, every time I call I cannot pick up a good day/time because everything is booked :|

The tasting menu is a subset of the main one - you can see the full descriptions on the a la carte online. The tasting was €85 pp, and the rest was the wine + 2 x kir royales. The way they seem to run it - they open a book every three months. And nothing is booked beyond that to make it as fair as possible, now all you have to do is find out when the next book is being opened! I think it's in May sometime - maybe give them a ring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Went to Brownes in Sandymount with my parents today. At night it has a nice French bistro type thing going for it. Was probably one of my favourite restaurants and as a result we used to go a lot, but this was the first time in two-ish months that we've been there, and boy it was not pretty.

To start off, the menu has got butchered pretty badly. Have no idea what they were thinking with some of the changes. They have removed delicious starters like a sardine bruschetta, terrine, while also messing with the main courses. One of their best dishes was chicken wrapped in bacon, now its just dry chicken with this yellow mess and carmelised pears...

The menu is just not diverse enough anymore....Although the worst thing has to be the service, it was shockingly bad.

The french maitre d' was taking our orders, then in the middle of my Dad's one(last person asked), he turns around, walks over to some new people who came in and told them they couldn't sit at that particular table, asked had they a reservation, then moved them to another table. He then finally turns around to us and says "What were you saying ?". I don't think it would have killed him to finish the order, then do that.

The female waitress there was definitely missing something between the ears as I have never seen somebody that incompetent. We had to order one glass of wine four times as she just kept forgetting, finally the maitre d' got it. It wasn't even that packed, and she wasn't particularly busy, so I don't know what the story was there. We were also situated right in the centre where she would walk past us all the time, so its not like we were in some quiet little corner

Things weren't helped by the maitre d' jumping out at every single person coming in and asking them what they were doing and where they were going. I got the impression he was worried somebody would come in, take somebody else's reserved table, and be left up the creek without a paddle. It was bizarre though.

Finally when we asked for the bill off the waitress, guess what, she forgot it both times we asked. There were no plates or anything around, she kept walking by us, I even got her eye a few times to which she ignored, and the bill just would not arrive. In the end we asked the maitre d' for the bill when he was beside our table to which he replied "But you didn't ask me twice for it". Luckily we got it promptly then ( still took 15 minutes to get it ), but it was so frustrating. You think they would be trying to ply customers with wine, and getting rid of the ones who are all done and waiting to go.

To compound matters, the maitre d' was trying to move the people beside us all over the place. They got moved three times until they refused to budge.

If the food was good I could look past these things, but for the level I am used to at Brownes, it was pretty terrible. Kudos where its due, the lamb livers were delicious. But the goats cheese was laughably bad and of such a small portion.

I had ordered the rack of lamb ( 26 euros ), its probably their signature dish as it is THAT good. The waiter made a point of telling me it would be medium rare ( the way I like it ), what came out was above medium-well, with one of the things being pretty badly burnt on the outside. But even looking at the lamb they gave was pretty embarassing. It was the cheapest, sickest, smallest piece of rack of lamb I've seen. There was no fat on it and it was like eating a miniature lamb.

If they had shown me before hand it was going to be that bad and of such a poor quality meat, especially for 26 euros, there is no chance I would have got it, despite loving that dish.

The chicken itself was pretty atrocious. I have to say the one they used to dish out was sublime, but this just looked like some cheap fake looking italian chicken dish with some ugly looking sauce. It was bland.

For somebody who really loved the place, it really was demoralising to see it like this. I'd imagine the food will get back to its previous level, but the terrible staff and dwindling/unappetising menu wont.

Avoid !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Heard about this place a while back and gave it a quick go a couple of months back. Went back last night to give it more of a look. This place just to be a suburb pub but are trying on the gastropub idea......

Very friendly staff and helpful approach. Quite busy which is always a good sign.

After a little language problems with our drinks order (resolve without fuss and sincere apology) we order white bait and pate to start. Herself was impressed with the pate which was not overly heavy but more importantly came with lots of bread. The white bait was good and with just enough to enjoy without feeling stuffed.

Good selection of mains. A t-bone for 2 was interesting (note the BGRH brothers!!! (was tempted on my own....)) but in the end I went for a skillet of mussels, salmon and cod and herself had the farmhouse bake (rashers, sausage, spuds and cheese). Both hit the spot nicely but the farmhouse bake was not finished as really it does not need a starter as well.

Good food, good service, good price (€60 odd for starters + main and a bottle of red and glass of white). The restaurant bit is upstairs from the main pub but still maintains and nice athmosphere.

Recommended for a reasonable meal in a good setting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Had a really nice meal here on Sat night.

The hotel itself if a lovely old house up Captains Hill in Leixlip. The bar area was small and very busy with people eating , here so there were no tables there. However our table in the restaurant was ready so we went straight up there.

First impressions were good , a little on the formal side , but that's what we wanted .

The food was very good indeed, they do a three course dinner incl tea/coffee and a bottle of house wine ( 5-6 choices of wine ) for 75 euro for 2.

Really good value , good service etc.

We had a drink in the bar afterwards , which is a lovely space , I can imagine around the winter time with a big fire it would be wonderful.

Highly reccomend it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cyberchic

Kennedys Restaurant

Recently had dinner in Kennedy's, (it is where the Leaf used to be) at The Abberley Court Hotel, very stylish with a New York feel to it...

Very friendly and chatty staff, great service and great food!

We had the 'Dine for Two' offer 4 Course Meal for 2 and included a bottle of wine for only 49.95- very impressed

They also had an early bird- 2 courses for €15.95

Excellent value especially in these down-trodden times!!

Kennedy's we will be back!!

Definatley worth a visit!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

We had the 'Dine for Two' offer 4 Course Meal for 2 and included a bottle of wine for only 49.95- very impressed

That is good value ..... compares well with the 75 I thought was ok !

Advertisement