Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭worded

Alas Escape is gone ages. Theres an Italian place there now.

My two favourite places now.
    Harrys1 in Dunlaoire or Harrys2 on Burgh Quay
    + The Stew Station in Smithfield (they do Currys etc for Less than 8 euros eat in!)
    polarbelly wrote:
    its ages since i've been there but escape in bray (vegetarian place) was absolutely excellent

i'm glad i reminded myself of that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ate in a fantastic burger joint last night - Joburger in Rathmines. Real funky resteraunt that keeps things loose, great burgers and all organic. Highly recommended and quite reasonable.

I think I saw that place - is it accross the road from the big bike shop and subway?

Will give it a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

AoiFa wrote:
    my fave restauarants in dublin are:

Chapter One parnell street
    friendly service and good tasty food, a little expensive though the set menu not too bad!
    I was there for the first time on Friday last. I couldn't fault it in any way. Excellent food and absolutely flawless service which also managed to be friendly rather than the snooty type often associated with many top restaurants. Not as expensive as I thought. Bill for four came to €370 (including 3 bottles of €35 wine). We'll be back! (and it's on the northside :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

My favourite restaurants would be, in no particular order : Darwins, Chez Macs, L'Guelueton, Shanahans.

Went to Mint in Ranelagh there few weeks ago, had the Tasting Menu @ like $110 per person. Have to say wasn't too impressed. The service was so slow and wasn't even that packed, we must been there for 4hours and 30mins, was crazy. Portions were ok but so very small which I really hate, and a little too snobby/posh for my liking :)

All in all, not too bad, but would rather spend my money in somewhere like Shanhans where I know I will love every single dish and be very full and satisfied without having waited nearly 5 hours for the meal, and would be cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Ate here last night and while it is new and a little rough around the edges we will be going back!

Location (in the industrial estate) is a little strange but it seems to work. Its big but was busy enough and there was a good buzz around the place (live piano as well)

Starters were Soup, Asparagus, Mozz salad and Parma/Melon. All good apart from the poached egg with the Asp which was more hard boiled then anything.

Mains were seabass and beef. All top notch.

Service was a bit mixed but as they are still finding their feet I guess understandable but...... glass of white with starter was forgotten, selected red wine was then found to be 'sold out', wrong beef (well done) given to wrong person and vice versa.

Cost was not unreasonable but not every day. Starters were around €10-€13 and mains around €18-€27.

I would recommend but if trying soon dont expect perfection!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

My top three at the moment:
    1) Mentioned a number of times on this forum (mostly by me!), Rasam in Glasthule (beside Dun Laoghaire) is a modern variation of Indian food, kind of like what I'd imagine Atol Kochhar's food might be like.. Great price, lovely setting, fantastic grub.. You'll be upset that you're full and can't fit it any more..

2) Darwins, on Aungier Street, great vegetarian, great meat.

3) My latest addition, and a big suprise, a new restaurant: Shelby's Brasserie in Bray. Finally, a decent restaurant in Bray (seeing as a certain fishy promenade-side restaurant is going to the dogs). Ate the early bird here on Friday. Excellent.. Lamb Shank falls off the bone, Pork belly is extremely tasty, Calamari is delicate and and crispy, Chocolate pud is 'melt in your soul' good.. Service is excellent (new restaurant).. I only have two gripes, the espresso was a little more like strong coffee, and soon the restaurant will be over-whelmed with punters (it's already very busy) trying to keep me from getting a table.. Don't go.. You won't like it.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

tried mahi mahi in main street blackrock last night, really nice place, had amazing chicken wings to start and the paad thai was best i have tried outside of thailand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 globalconspirac

Am going out with my girlfriend for a year in October and we are spending it in Cardiff. Maybe a bit of a long shot but does anyone have any recommendations on a nice restaurant in said city.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Am going out with my girlfriend for a year in October and we are spending it in Cardiff. Maybe a bit of a long shot but does anyone have any recommendations on a nice restaurant in said city.

Try La Brasserie on St. Mary's Street (the main Street down at the Train Station end, the other end from Cardiff Castle). You get your table and then you go up and pick out the food you want & they'll cook it ! Excellent food.

http://www.cardiff-eating.com/1578.htm

: 60 St Mary Street, Cardiff, CF10 1FE

http://www.restaurant-guide.com/brasserie-la-1.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Le Gallois in Cardiff.

Top notch french bistro. It was my back up plan had I not pulled off my audacious plans to propose to my now wife. As it was we had an excellent celebratory meal there.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

I went to Ouzos in Ranelagh last night, my third time there and will keep going back.. Its one of the best Steak & Seafood restaurants I've been to in Dublin and is great value too :) The decor is plain enough but the food more than makes up for it.

I had crab claws for starters, served in a garlic butter sauce and were perfect, my gf had spicy chicken wings and there were too many to finish!

My gf had Surf & Turf, fillet steak and tiger prawns and I had the pan fried beef (steak, mashed potatoes with pesto and wild mushroom sauce). They were both really really good...

We had a double choc fudge with wild berries between us for desert and a nice bottle of savignon blanc..

Total bill was only €90 - I would gladly pay 50% more... Sttaff are very friendly, I think they do an early bird menu during the week, just google the name and you will see their website and plenty of other reviews!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

3) My latest addition, and a big suprise, a new restaurant: Shelby's Brasserie in Bray. Finally, a decent restaurant in Bray (seeing as a certain fishy promenade-side restaurant is going to the dogs).
    Hmmmm ... looks good :) I live in Bray and noticed it ages ago, but upstairs restaurants with anonymous looking downstairs entrances always put me off just popping in to have a look somehow. I'll have to give it a try.

Talking about Bray, I've visited the Weeping Thaiger Thai restaurant in the Village Arcade, or whatever it's called, a couple of times and while it's not up there with some of the best Thai restaurants I've ever been to, it's another welcome addition to what was, up until recently, a pretty poor town for restaurants in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭radooo

i am taking a girl out to a restaurant this friday and i was wondering whether you would know a nice, cosy and quiet (and also reasonably priced for a student budget) restaurant in or near dublin city centre? many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Hey,

Anyone have any good ideas for a Christmas party? We're a small group of about 20-25 people, looking to go out in Dublin, preferably city centre or north county, but we'd like a somewhere with a bit of good food and the some decent music, maybe even with a bit of a dance floor? We went to the Boulevard Cafe last year, on Exchequer Street, and that was great fun but we want to try somewhere else.

Christmas is comin up fast but I'd really appreciate any suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@radoo- it would be hard to beat La Paniche for atmosphere which is a barge on the canal by Baggot Street bridge. Food is good and very reasonable, 15.50-18.50 for mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Just back from another excellent dinner in Indian Summer, Kilmacud (behind the Mill House). Excellent Indian food, & this meal for three cost EUR 117 incl. a tip and a couple of drinks.

It's our favourite place now that Casanova has (sadly) gone.

http://www.indiansummer.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 miarosa

Good afteroon everyone....

Firstly, im new here :o hi! I'm in the process of looking for a venue to open my first restaurant, it's all very exciting and scary :confused:

So heres my question, I am a self thought cook, cooking mainly Italian and a little Indian as im veggie and find their cusine suits me. I fully intend on hiring a fully qualified chef, however i plan on choosing the dishes and menu, with his/her input as a professional. I was going to go with the usual Italian homely food, but then i thought, why not do what i know, vegetarian! I was thinking perhaps more refined but not ponsy vegetarian, still good portions and value for money but more elegant than the only cafe i know in dublin that does vege. Is this a bad idea? Am i alienating 80% of potential customers, or are there enought people interested in veg food to make any kind of go of my business?? Also im Ceoliac and was thinking of perhaps doing a weekly intolerance special...or daily?

Just really want peoples input, am i getting ahead of myself? Should i stick with italian and do a good veg option? :eek: sorry about all the questions, id be grateful if someone would let me know.....

Also....if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it...i couldnt find just a general restaurant forum...another also....my food is better than my spelling :D

Consider starting a new thread on this and link it back here to this one?

Title "Starting a new restaurant - Veg or not - your thoughts?" or the like

Firstly if I may have a go - Jeez Nora you make a great omelet - you should open a restaurant!

Aside from recipes - do you have any idea on the finances involved in runnig a restaurant? Have you studied this side of things?
    I havnt - but I saw a documentary a few years back and there was a restaurant trouble shooter expert. The stats were - only 1 in 20 restaurants make it through the first year! Lotto winners loose the lot with 1 million capital. I wish you the very very best BUT do your financial home work.
    Get a place which was a restaurant once if possible, avoid plumbing a place.
    Replace that sink?- does it need to be replaced. A restaurants greatest cost?
    Theft and breakages of cutlery. Also the kitchen porter throwing out knives and forks.

Another one was your friends going to the place? You will tend to give them extra and
    food and perhaps a discount on wine? The expert on TV said give your friends a 10er each and ask them never to return to your restaurant if you want to succeed.

Tip - Some coffee shops in Dublin are backed by Publican money and have a mere 3% profit.

There can never be enough Veg restaurants as far as Im concerned, I will go there. BUT Escape a restaurant in Bray closed and became a meat restaurant following approx 10 years in biz. There are a hand ful of veg restaurants in Dublin - why? Is the profit margin too low? Look at The Happy Pear in Greystones - open til 6 pm and becomes a Tapas restaurant at night. Govindas (Harry Kristnas) on Georges St / Middle Abbey - bad chanting music - but does well (subsidised by Harry himself?)

I will go to your new place – but I would like you to make it beyond year 1 and prosper versus brake your back and end up in debt and the shutters closed for ever on your dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭emmiou

Can anyone recommend somewhere nice to eat at around 4pm on a weekday in the Smithfield/Law Society Area - somewhere that would suit to bring my gran before a graduation? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinker

Hi, may I suggest you reconsider your writing style, it is very difficult to make any sense from your previous post
    worded wrote: »
    Firstly if I may have a go - Jeez Nora you make a great omelet - you should open a restaurant!

Get a place which was a restaurant once if possible, avoid plumbing a place.
    Replace that sink?- does it need to be replaced. A restaurants greatest cost?
    Theft and breakages of cutlery. Also the kitchen porter throwing out knives and forks.

Another one was your friends going to the place? You will tend to give them extra and
    food and perhaps a discount on wine? The expert on TV said give your friends a 10er each and ask them never to return to your restaurant if you want to succeed.

Tip - Some coffee shops in Dublin are backed by Publican money and have a mere 3% profit.

There can never be enough Veg restaurants as far as Im concerned, I will go there. BUT Escape a restaurant in Bray closed and became a meat restaurant following approx 10 years in biz. There are a hand ful of veg restaurants in Dublin - why? Is the profit margin too low? Look at The Happy Pear in Greystones - open til 6 pm and becomes a Tapas restaurant at night. Govindas (Harry Kristnas) on Georges St / Middle Abbey - bad chanting music - but does well (subsidised by Harry himself?)

I will go to your new place – but I would like you to make it beyond year 1 and prosper versus brake your back and end up in debt and the shutters closed for ever on your dream.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Sinners

Address: 12 Parliment Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2 , Dublin
    Now, i'm not that big into Middle-eastren Food, But this place is amazing. For 5 people, 5 starters, 5 main courses 4 bottles of wine and 2 coffee's Came to €181.59. The Food is out of this world. I got the chicken Raps which are chicken and Stuffing (not the christmas kind), in a pastery rap (looks kinda like a spring roll) and salad for starter, then the "sinners Chicken" which is chicken strips oven baked, in a Crispy Shell, With Very mild Korma Style Sauce.

I'm not a white wine drinker, But the House red was a Very warm and Fruitty Flavour, and Perfectly conplmented the Meal.

When we went (saturday Night) we were treated to some Lebonesse belly Dancers, who were Very entertaining!

I can not recomend this place enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I was here for my graduation recently. It's beautiful inside, all purple walls and chairs, nice paintings... Also has crystals, dragon sculptures and angels for sale on glass shelves. It's shaped liek Martello tower and all glass with view of the harbour and glows with purple lights at night.

The food is delicious; duck, roast beef, steak, Thai noodles, chicken... All great! Great range of starters like pate, salmon fish cakes, soup.. Lovely dessert choice too with my favourite, Bailey's cheese cake :) It was only 20e per person for the three courses!

That staff are lovely too, very patient and attentive. My uncle kept sending wine back because the temperature was wrong (!) but they were very understanding and we got lovely white wine in the end.

They also have a cocktail menu, and the wine list is huge. During my meal, the manager came over to congratulate me on my graduation and gave me a little crystal and gold angel on the house. How sweet is that? :o

Highly recommended!

http://www.purpleocean.ie/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dav1b

Has anyone been to the new Locks on the canal yet? Same chef as gueleton when it first opened, i hear it's delicious but maybe a bit pricey..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

dav1b wrote: »
    Has anyone been to the new Locks on the canal yet? Same chef as gueleton when it first opened, i hear it's delicious but maybe a bit pricey..!

Yup. I went there a few weeks after it re-opened during the summer.

It was excellent and yes a bit pricey, but not outragious.

Me and the GF had starters + main course + 1 dessert to share and a bottle of wine and I think it worked out at about 120EUR

Give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Anybody tried Brownes in Sandymount ? Have to say that I really love it, shame the desserts aren't as good as the main courses.

Opinions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Been a few times (brought or had to attend for parties etc..) and it's probably one of the worst places in Dublin.
    It's a joke of an 'Italian', if that's what it's supposed to be.
    I found the staff rude each time, and caught them putting extra beers on our table despite no one ordering them.
    The lasagne comes in a bowl of sauce, and you don't even get chips, garlic bread or a salad with it. In fact, I don't think they even do chips as a side?

The pizzas are muck, and pasta dishes bland.

The garlic bread is just a pitta bread with garlic butter cut into it... and the bruchetta is the same bread with a tiny bit of tomato and pesto on it.

Why the rant? Probably because it's constantly packed at the weekends!! Why?!?!
    Does anyone here like this place??

I know it's 'cheap', but lots of far better Italians are priced relatively the same, for far far far better food and an overall dining experience.

I wonder if they used the name 'Pizza Express' as they do in the UK (it's a chain), would people think they're dining in an 'Italian'?

To sum up - If you want to go to an Italian, do NOT go here. It's more a half arse pizza joint than anything else.

/rant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Milano's = Pizza Express?! I never knew that!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

It's true, the reason they're Milano's here is because when they wanted to open on Dawson street the street committee or whatever didn't want there to be a pizza establishment on the road.

Cue name change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I've been to Milanos (in Dawson St and Temple Bar) several times and never found that much wrong with it. In fact I would say their pizza is on the good end of the scale. Lasagne I wouldn't expect to be served with chips, unless you're in a pub.
    But I'll admit its not authentic Italian by any means. Still an ok place for large groups.

Advertisement