Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Dub_Jim_Royle

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Had a really nice meal here on Sat night.

The hotel itself if a lovely old house up Captains Hill in Leixlip. The bar area was small and very busy with people eating , here so there were no tables there. However our table in the restaurant was ready so we went straight up there.

First impressions were good , a little on the formal side , but that's what we wanted .

The food was very good indeed, they do a three course dinner incl tea/coffee and a bottle of house wine ( 5-6 choices of wine ) for 75 euro for 2.

Really good value , good service etc.

We had a drink in the bar afterwards , which is a lovely space , I can imagine around the winter time with a big fire it would be wonderful.

Highly reccomend it !

Dine and stay for free...although its a Thur night only
    http://www.leixliphouse.com/pdf/2009/Dine&Stay4free.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 auntiem

I think it would be an excellent idea if every sort of post code had a relilable restaurant guide, and menus. It would really boost tourism, plus the prices of eating eay could even drop as competition would be obvious. Not only for those reasons but I have recently been horrified with an Indian restaurant in Dublin-A Taste of India,...I'm very into my Indian food and was very unimpressed with the service, food and hygine of the place. If it were possible to make a clear guide to restaurants and other services then I feel that more people would eat out and taste different kinds of food!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭WhoseView: Michael

auntiem wrote: »
    I think it would be an excellent idea if every sort of post code had a relilable restaurant guide, and menus....but I have recently been horrified with an Indian restaurant in Dublin-A Taste of India,...I'm very into my Indian food and was very unimpressed with the service, food and hygine of the place. If it were possible to make a clear guide to restaurants and other services then I feel that more people would eat out and taste different kinds of food!

I agree entirely and have read similar bads things about this Indian. Having a restaurant guide by post code or even area is good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Is there anyone on here from Cork?! I'm going to give my two cents anyway:D Il Padrino in Cork City is to die for! Best italian i have been to but then i haven't been to many places outside Cork:D

But seriously you have to try this place!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'm a bit of a fiend for Mexican, anything sloppy with refried beans & jalapenos and I'm all over it. Was dying to try this place after I heard the owner talking about it on Tom Dunne - he seemed fairly passionate about chillies & chilli sauce. No problem getting a booking on Sat night, lovely spot too - there is an outdoor area if the weather is right. Inside is a bit cheesy, painted tables - usual Mexican theme. Nothing too special.

They had an all evening special - two courses from a cut down menu for €20. Which was grand by us. I had the pork belly ribs and himself had the potato skins. Ribs were meaty and tasty, sauce was ok. I've had better. Potato skins were EVIL! And I mean in a good way - smothered in plastic liquid cheesy sauce and bacon bits. A perfect hangover cure if you were looking for one in Howth. I had the beef burrito for mains, it was deee-lish-mexican-ous. Came with some Mexican rice and loads of iceberg lettuce (as did every other dish!!). Himself had the chicken enchilada - the chicken was really good. It actually tasted like chicken. And that came with the rice too. I ordered extra jalapenos, refried beans & hot chilli sauce on the side. JEBUS I can take hot, but that Hot chilli sauce was HAWT. There was 6 levels of hotness, and this was number 4. Good lord.

We shared a decent Rose at €20 a bottle. And I started with a decent Margarita. It didn't taste like there was any alcohol in it, but I had that funny wobbly feeling in my legs after knocking it back :)

I'll be back - the wings look good, defo a Franks hot sauce creation. The set menu was a good price, but it does look like it would add up if you went a la carte. Be warned! Portions are large and it's very filling. I'd say it would be good fun with a group. One complaint - our main came out nearly immediately after our starters. And they used an ice-cream scoop to put the rice on the plates. Which is a pet hate of mine, but hardly a showstopper :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 spudfitz

Hi
    I'm travelling to Cork City soon on a short break that we really can't afford but can't resist! biggrin.gif We got a great cheap deal on fab hotel but I'm concerned about the cost of always eating out.

We are looking for some recommendations for trendy, good quality and good value restaurants and cafes, without having to rely on your bog standard "cheap and cheery" Italian wink.gif. There have been a few new places in Dublin opening up recently which really offer value for money without compromising on quality. Can anyone please recommend suitable places we could go?

Emm, seafood and japanese food are particular favourites of ours, but anything would be great smile.gif

Cheers
    Sarah

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The Stone House - Ventry, Dingle

I ate here on Saturday night with my parents and boyfriend. Previously a lovely, cozy intimate restaurant, it's now under new management and much larger than before. Unfortunately, it seems to have destroyed the atmosphere of the place.

It was very quiet when we were there, only 5 or so tables occupied. There were only 2 waiters, who I assume were the new owners. They were completely uncharismatic and not overly friendly or attentive. It seemed to me that perhaps they were brothers who had come into some money and decided to open a restaurant, rather than being experienced restaurateurs. They remained out of sight for most of the evening, despite tables needing to be cleared. One table needed to be cleared for over an hour, and at another point, they half cleared the table next to us but then seemed to forget about it. When ordering a second bottle of wine, my dad joked that someone must have knocked over the first, and we'd need another. Not only did neither of the waiters get the joke, but they thought we just wanted them to take away the first bottle. We had to ask for the wine again about 10 minutes later.

Service aside, the menu was quite typical for that area: About 6 starters and maybe 10 mains, half meat and half fish. Two of us had a delicious seafood chowder to start which was heavy on the fish and not with huge lumps of potato as some tend to be. The other two shared a goats cheese pastry dish, which went down well.

For the main, I got panfried fillet of monkfish, served on a bed of creamed potatoes and with a lemon and dill sauce. Oddly, it also came with either chips and salad, or potatoes and veg, which I thought was completely unnecessary given the bed of potatoes. My monkfish was over-cooked slightly, and the potatoes needed seasoning. Another of our party got turbot, which was satisfactory. Another got a 12-oz sirloin steak, which was well cooked and arrived as ordered (medium rare). The sides were nothing out of the ordinary, the usual veg, potatoes and salad affair. Desserts were unimaginative. We got chocolate fondant, which was over-cooked because there was no liquid centre.

In total, it came to about €50 a head for 2 or 3 courses each and two bottles of wine. I'd be prepared to give it another chance, but overall I was disappointed.

Finally… got here! Very excited when I found out yesterday (at 7pm) that we had a table for 8! Arrived in, lovely room - bright and airy. But there is a slight odour of musty/dampness. I suppose they are over a basement beside a canal, might be hard to manage to rid it altogether.

Started with Nicoise salad, lovely piece of seared tuna - about the size of the palm of my hand. With potatoes that actually tasted of potatoes. Very nice, would definitely have it again. Hubbie had dressed crab with dill pickled cucumber. Also delicious. I had saddle of lamb with aubergine, sheep's cheese & bulgar wheat. Tasty veg and tender meat. Really nice. Yer man had scallops - nearly had to stop him licking the bowl. Everything tasted fresh, perfectly seasoned and skilfully prepared. Skipped dessert, just had some homemade truffles, which hit the spot with my nice coffee. Nice selection of wines at reasonable prices, most under the €30 mark. All in all, it came to about €150 incl a pre-dinner glass of Prosecco. And we probably picked the two most expensive options on the menu. It is really my kind of food - simple, tasty, good ingredients and very well prepared.

They had a 'plat du jour' option which you can have with a glass of wine & the offered main of the day for €17.50. Something I'll definitely be coming back for. We enjoyed the whole experience, the waiting staff were just spot-on. There was a buzz in the room, and it appeared about 1/4 full - about 5 tables, for a Monday night wasn't so bad.

Now! Just as we were waiting for our jackets, they snatched defeat from the claws of victory. I was looking at the menus, there were two - including a 'table d'hôtel' option. So I asked the waitress when was it available. She let me know that it was available, all day, every day. 2 courses €27.50, 3 courses €35. 'Even all tonight' she let us know. We were never offered this menu, thought it was a little cheeky as we were only offered the a la carte. Something that has happened in a few places before. I get that restaurants might not be in the best financial situation, and are trying to increase spend pp, but it left us slightly annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Louie's Bistro

On Mountjoy Square, at the Fitzgibbon Street side.

Went here last Friday as a couple, and we are going back this Thursday as part of a family meal for 8.

The food is absolutely delicious.

We both had the Baked Goats Cheese to start (I'd never had it before, gf is a Vegetarian), and it was lovely. I'll get something else next time, but that is no reflection on this dish, as I just want to try something different.

For mains I had the Baked Cod Wrapped In Parma Ham
    On mussel & saffron chowder, and my gf had White Asparagus & Pea Risotto With feta cheese & mint (asked for no mint, and the duly obliged). Also got some chips on the side.

The cod was cooked to perfection, and the mussel chowder underneath was gorgeous. GF said the Risotto was very nice too.

Desert for me was the Scorched Strawberries
    With blackjack ice cream, I was intrigued by the blackjack Icecream, and the taste goes very well with the strawberries. GF had the Capuccino Créme Brulée With a cocoa tuille and said it was the best desert she'd ever had anywhere.

The staff are lovely, not overly attentive, and made the experience so much more enjoyable. After dinner we asked could we move to the upstairs smoking yard, and were told yes, they brought our tea and coffee out to us.

Had a nice bottle of wine with that, Australian Chardonnay, the house white.

One thing that was a bit annoying was that we weren't offered either of the specials (3 Courses for only €23.95 from the Pre Theatre Menu OR
    Dinner for Two from the Pre Theatre Menu including a Bottle of Wine for only €65 Availability ), but some of the dishes we had were not on the PTM anyway.

I can't wait to go back. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭cookerj

I have a 'Dirty little secret' restaurant that myself and my boyfriend sneak to when we're feeling stingy and don't want to cook. It's not exactly gourmet but if you know what to have it seriously hits the spot - Sweet Basil Thai in Rathmines, near Jo'Burger. Bad interior, constantly jarred owner and again not exactly gourmet food... but you can get a starter and maincourse for €12.50. An amazing alternative to a takeaway slobbed on your lap in front of the tv.

Make sure to get the ribs to start (tasty and a ridiculously addictive sauce) and then duck with a sauce - plum, honey or tamarind I'd recommend. Also a good duck Massaman curry. Make sure to order some noodles! If you're going to veer off the 12.50 menu there's quite a bit of decent food. Prawn tempura's good, as are the stirfrys as long as you don't choose a gloopy sauce.

Bon Appetit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Des wrote: »
    Louie's Bistro

On Mountjoy Square, at the Fitzgibbon Street side.

Went here last Friday as a couple, and we are going back this Thursday as part of a family meal for 8.

The food is absolutely delicious.

We both had the Baked Goats Cheese to start (I'd never had it before, gf is a Vegetarian), and it was lovely. I'll get something else next time, but that is no reflection on this dish, as I just want to try something different.

For mains I had the Baked Cod Wrapped In Parma Ham
    On mussel & saffron chowder, and my gf had White Asparagus & Pea Risotto With feta cheese & mint (asked for no mint, and the duly obliged). Also got some chips on the side.

The cod was cooked to perfection, and the mussel chowder underneath was gorgeous. GF said the Risotto was very nice too.

Desert for me was the Scorched Strawberries
    With blackjack ice cream, I was intrigued by the blackjack Icecream, and the taste goes very well with the strawberries. GF had the Capuccino Créme Brulée With a cocoa tuille and said it was the best desert she'd ever had anywhere.

The staff are lovely, not overly attentive, and made the experience so much more enjoyable. After dinner we asked could we move to the upstairs smoking yard, and were told yes, they brought our tea and coffee out to us.

Had a nice bottle of wine with that, Australian Chardonnay, the house white.

One thing that was a bit annoying was that we weren't offered either of the specials (3 Courses for only €23.95 from the Pre Theatre Menu OR
    Dinner for Two from the Pre Theatre Menu including a Bottle of Wine for only €65 Availability ), but some of the dishes we had were not on the PTM anyway.

I can't wait to go back. :)

Cheers for posting this, have been debating dropping in. Will have to do so in the near future.

Went back to Chapter One last night for the pre-theatre. Still as fabulous as ever (food, wine, service, venue) but we opted for the extra fiver cheese option. Thought it was a bit of a swizz, well I got a very pedestrian trio of cheeses after the waiter asked me what I would prefer. And I more or less told him to 'bring it on'. SO I would defo recommend the pre-theatre, but maybe stick with the desserts. Which were great btw, I did get to taste two of the three.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I agree entirely and have read similar bads things about this Indian. Having a restaurant guide by post code or even area is good idea
    I find www.menupages.ie pretty good. There's a map-feature, so you can see the restaurants closest to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Reviewed Ballymaloe House on the blog last week ->

http://pauljkiernan.wordpress.com/2009/10/23/ballymaloe_revie/

Went to Seagrass on Friday for a birthday - they had a special - €20 for two courses and a glass of wine/bottle of beer if you order before 7pm. There were 10 of us - the staff were extremely friendly and very helpful (we brought a birthday cake for dessert and they were great about it) The special menu was quite small, but I would eaten anything from it - and I tasted it all. I would have been happy with any of the choices. Everything was cooked fresh - incl the fab bread that they gave us loads of to nibble on. They kept us topped up with loads of jugs of water and the great bread that came with a lovely dip. For a Friday night, it could be busier I think. But everyone loved their dish - they were very accommodating with any changes. For example two people ordered the sole without mussels. The chef sent it out without the bone as he used the bone to make the broth instead of the mussels that would usually accompany it.

Would recommend it, and would defo go back! Esp for the special - it was VERY good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 A.N. Other1

I remember reading about a city centre restaurant that has a crab and lobster special. For €20.00 or so you get one for starter and one for main. I cant remember the name of it for the world. Anyone know? If so, any reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Helmet

Just back from a quick meal in Gourmet Thai in Balbriggan.
    Very impressed.
    We only called in for a bite but wound up getting 2 starters, 2 mains and a 1/2 bottle of red which came to just under 50 quid.

I had prawn cakes to start, delicious, with a really nice kick from the fresh lime leaves. Wife had seaweed rolls which were really tasty as well.
    I got roast duck red curry with Jasmine rice, absolutely gorgeous. All fresh ingredients including red chillis and sweet basil......beautiful. My wife had beef and broccoli noodles in oyster sauce which was damned nice too.

They don't have a particularly wide wine list but they do serve Chang beer which is tasty. Massive portions as well, they could actually do with reducing them a wee bit. The interior's lovely too, they put a lot of effort into it. Overall it's one of the best Thai's I've had outside of Thailand.

I'd highly reccommend this spot, especially since Balbriggan comes up a bit short with regards good quality restaurants (plenty of take-aways but I wouldn't fancy ordering wine in a chipper). Would love to see them make a success of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Could anyone recommend some places to eat around Dublin city center for me and the girlfriend?

Preferably casual enough and not too pricey! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

dog_pig wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend some places to eat around Dublin city center for me and the girlfriend?

Preferably casual enough and not too pricey! :D

Look at Post #370 in this thread, and then go to Louie's Bistro :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Went here last night for their cooking class and had an absolute blast. We did a beginners class, made our own tortillas, pico de gallo & guacamole and then used them to make sopes & quesidillas and just to snarf down loads of guac. It was great fun, costs €15 and you get to eat what you've made afterwards. Hugo (owner/chef person) was lovely & very informative about Mexican food. He has a special dish every weekend, this weekend is Posole and I am going to be there with bells on to try it.

They also sell Mexican ingredients in the cafe that I've found really difficult to source in Dublin- corn flour, chipotle chilis in adobo (affordable ones! €2.80 in comparison to €6 in Fallon & Byrne), tortillas, salsa verde, all the good stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Went here last night for their cooking class and had an absolute blast. We did a beginners class, made our own tortillas, pico de gallo & guacamole and then used them to make sopes & quesidillas and just to snarf down loads of guac. It was great fun, costs €15 and you get to eat what you've made afterwards. Hugo (owner/chef person) was lovely & very informative about Mexican food. He has a special dish every weekend, this weekend is Posole and I am going to be there with bells on to try it.

They also sell Mexican ingredients in the cafe that I've found really difficult to source in Dublin- corn flour, chipotle chilis in adobo (affordable ones! €2.80 in comparison to €6 in Fallon & Byrne), tortillas, salsa verde, all the good stuff!

Sounds Great

do you just pop into the cafe and inquire about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Yeps, you can do, it's all very casual. I sent them an email to organise it at info@azteca.ie

http://www.azteca.ie/chef.php?pg=cooking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Has anyone eaten in My thai in the beacon hotel?

Just looking for opinions/feedback on the place.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Hi, I was in Town bar & grill on Kildare street in dublin the other day. Absolutely fantastic meal and great value. For lunch it was €20 for two courses including a glass of wine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

eBookIreland have created a Restaurant Guide for Ireland
    http://www.restaurants.ie
    We have also created a Free iPhone App, available from iTunes -
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/restaurants-ireland/id353736137?mt=8

Over 1000 restaurants have been added to the database with basic information - name, address, phone, GPS co-ordinates for map.

The premium listings also include menus, wine lists, opening times, customer reviews, competitions for restaurant vouchers.
    We would be delighted to get feed back on the website.
    Feel free to forward the names of your favourite restaurants and we will include.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Thanks

Its o.k. I've had better. I prefer the thai opposite Bewleys in Leopardstown if you are looking for one in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ryansdaughter

Is that Ban Thai? If so...I agree...great spot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Thanks

went there and it was very poor. Service lack lustre, dirty menus, lipstick on the glass (vomit), ingredients were obviously good quality but the food was badly cooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jimmytwomey

went there and it was very poor. Service lack lustre, dirty menus, lipstick on the glass (vomit), ingredients were obviously good quality but the food was badly cooked.

Sorry have to agree with this. Overpriced and not great tasting food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jimmytwomey

If your looking for consistant excellent thai food at a reasonable price. Has to be Ban Thai in that area.

Advertisement