Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Guide

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

THB, you have to try Iyer's South Indian vegetarian café next time you're down. It really is something else - not Indian as you know it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I had lunch in The Bakehouse in the CHQ Building in the IFSC today. Really nice lamb in a bap but the potato wedges were genuinely some of the nicest I've ever had. Nice crunch on the outside, fluffy and light inside and perfectly seasoned. I was very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

*Mod Note: E&C discussion split from a different thread**

Reminds me of Elephant & Castle in temple bar. Shocking customer treatment - but to tell them youd have to shout through the crowd of people waiting to get in there, they dont care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

Surprised to see E&C mentioned - the handful of times I've been there the service has been absolutely excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

If

I dont see what you can do other than whats been suggested above though. Reminds me of Elephant & Castle in temple bar. Shocking customer treatment - but to tell them youd have to shout through the crowd of people waiting to get in there, they dont care

Yes Elephant and Castle are another rude crowd, had two horrible experiences here but they get the footfall so don't care

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

irishmoss wrote: »
    Yes Elephant and Castle are another rude crowd, had two horrible experiences here but they gat the footfall so don't care

I've eaten there on maybe 3 occasions in the last couple years and have always had great service in fairness. The food wasn't always to my liking (don't get the praise their wings receive) but I'm a picky eater. Service can sometimes be everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tinpib

Story Bud? wrote: »
    Surprised to see E&C mentioned - the handful of times I've been there the service has been absolutely excellent.

I was only there once. They couldn't get us out of there fast enough even though we were not told we had to vacate our table by a certain time. This was definitely on a school night, straight after work, so I'm guessing 6pm on a Wednesday or more likely a Thursday evening.

One of my friends copped this and asked to see the dessert menu even though she didn't plan on having any just to get another few minutes to relax after stuffing our faces.

Then our bill came without us asking for it, again to get us out of there as quickly as possible. However in their 'rush' to get us out of there they forgot to charge us for the second bottle of wine and in our 'rush' to get out of there we forgot to tell them. Funny how that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Regarding Elephant & Castle, we went there once on an admittedly very busy Saturday around 3 pm and asked for a table for 2. The guy at the door looked, sighed, had a think, and said "I'll have something for you around.... 8:30". I dont know how he kept a straight face.

The mrs was adamant she wanted to go back there so we went on a friday evening. We were told to come back in about 20 mins. We went back and were told to come back in another half an hour. We decided to wait and sat there staring at an empty table for 4 people. When I asked why we couldnt have it, we were told that tables of that size couldnt be given to a party of 2 in case a larger group subsequently came in. We would have to wait for another table to become empty, while staring at a table that already was. It was at this point I insisted we go.

They didnt renege on a booking (dont think theyll even take one) or give us bad service, but I left there in no uncertain terms that they couldnt give a sh*t about my custom. Thats their call - its mine not to go back

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Regarding E&C; I tried to bring my mum there once and got the 'no couples at a table for 4' bit. We turned to the couple behind us and asked if they'd mind sharing, and were told 'no sharing tables' by the staff. Wouldn't go back there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod Note I have moved the discussion on E&C to this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Boardz Fiend

Hi there, can anyone comment on The Port House (Tapas Bar) on South William St. I cannot reach them by phone. It seems they do not take bookings so I'm trying to understand if they have long queues at weekends? Has anyone eaten there recently? Did you wait long for a table? I'm thinking about 6pm on saturday or sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

Hi there, can anyone comment on The Port House (Tapas Bar) on South William St. I cannot reach them by phone. It seems they do not take bookings so I'm trying to understand if they have long queues at weekends? Has anyone eaten there recently? Did you wait long for a table? I'm thinking about 6pm on saturday or sunday

I really like the food in the port house.
    I do think it's a tad overpriced so I don't go often but I always enjoy when imy there.
    We always walk in with no booking, I think the longest I've had to wait was about 15 minutes.
    Nice wine list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Boardz Fiend

Dublin21 wrote: »
    I really like the food in the port house.
    I do think it's a tad overpriced so I don't go often but I always enjoy when imy there.
    We always walk in with no booking, I think the longest I've had to wait was about 15 minutes.
    Nice wine list too.

Brilliant, very helpful.... thank you : )

Advertisement