Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Guide

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wanneabecritic

three course meal plus wine about 250 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pele10

Holy toledo.... thats expensive :eek::eek::eek:

Thanks, I suppose its a once off

it is but if you dont appriate good steak or eat it well done its really not worth going there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 topolino

I'm planning a tour and I'd like to stop in Wicklow town and Enniscorthy: any news of good italian restaurants in there?
    I heard about "Antonios" and "Via Veneto", are they good?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

200-250 sounds right for Shanhans

The mussels there are really nice, I would recommend getting them. The t-bone steaks are lovely, get that.

However my favourite thing is their Oreo cheesecake there, mmmmm

Has anybody tried the pork there ? Am tempted to give it a shot

• Advertisement

antonios is very good its a little bit pricey but its worth it . if you like rabbit they do do the best around also very good is the veal parmesan.....

the pork is to die for there spiced apple sauce and cabbage they serve with it is worth it alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Cheers

Will definitely get it then

Whenever I am there I don't wanna risk it, and just stick with a lovely steak :P

I got the game dish before and it wasn't great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

aunts 50th tonight in soprano's in Rush.

Anyone eaten here before have any thoughts on the place or recommendations :)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Café Topolis, an Italian at the corner of parliment st and lord edward, Dublin.

A group of 6 of us went of 6 of us went to Café Topolis on Friday.

Service was prompt (if Im honest I got the impression there were eager to get people in and out quickly) and the food nice and reasonable.

But the waitress walked away from our table while we were ordering to seat a couple that came in. This imo is the problem with mandatory service charges (15% in Café Topolis iirc). I thought this quite rude.

Wouldnt recommend it.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Anyone know of any decent "all you can eat buffets" round Dublin?

More or less into all types of food so any Chinese, Indian, Mexican, Itallian etc its all good..

Just really looking for somewere for a bunch of hungry lads to meet up and clear out the place if its good enough lol.. Pref not too pricey

Heard good work of a chinese of some sort on Abbey st. Anyone knoe the place im talking about?

Cheers.
    DEAR GOD NO!!

If you are talking about the place in the epicurean food hall and another one just behind it on capel street. You are taking your life into your own hands with both, they are beyond bad - I couldnt get a starving student to finish a "meal" in there.

The food is dire.

There is an Asian all you can eat on a Sunday in phibsborough, corner of north circular road and Berkeley road. 10eur

Best all you can eat though would have to be the Mongolian barbecue in temple bar. http://www.mongolianbbq.ie/ fantastic, but you might need to make a reservation.

The Harbour Master, IFSC, Dublin.

Good pub with good atmosphere on a Friday night. Th hot food platters are excellent. However, I would recommend you not go there for a meal. The menu is small, the service slow and the food bad value. The main meals dont even come with vegtables. I ordered what sounded like a wonderful trout dish which was nothing more than fish and chips!

The Indian Ocean, 15 Montague Street, Dublin 2
    http://www.indianoceancuisine.com/

Excellent food, fantasic service, strangely reasonable, I would have paid a lot more.
    Nice enough to go for a fancy meal, but has early bird and lunch time specials that make you just pop in for a quick bite to eat.

5 stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 keepherlit

went to kajaal last week - only feckin gorgeous!!!!
    Monkfish to start was lovely and the missus had lamb chops. 2 chops for a starter - plenty big so I "helped her with one"
    she is not a fan of major heat so she had a korma dish - proper style tomato base. I had a jalfrezi and it wasnt too hot but the portions were plenty big and one rice did the two of us. 102 euro with a bottle of pouilly fume( lovely stuff and only 32 euro)
    have been there a few times for lunch and even that is good value, the wrap and fries are lovely

deffo a regular now

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I'd say closer to €300 or more! I ate in Shanahan's last year with my brother. 2 main courses, 2 desserts, 4 drinks came to €250

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

i have read reports about zest and have to agree with all bad reviews i have eaten there twice . first time was bad ordered two items off lunch menu had niether .{it wasonly one o clock . second time because i said it was not possible to be same it was worse would not send a enemy ....grevelle over priced . annebrook worst in town . mizzoni is good . cellar under newbury now closed . fat cats very good . but the best and most reliable has to be the roadhouse always great food and service and they have recently brought back previous haed chef so its even better now :):)hope it helps you out

Agree with all the above except for Fatcats (very mediocre and terrible service) - Illia Tapas probably the best restaurant in town now. Belfry reopen a couple of months - food very good, service enthusiastic! Saagar still great Indian, atmosphere lacking but food makes up for it.... Had not heard cellar under Newbury closed - pity, had only tried it once and had good (ish) lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭leiwand

don't know if anyone's mentioned it but would really recommend alexis in dun laoighre.amazing food standards and even better value

b

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭RVP11

If you would like to taste the worst indian take-away in Kildare
    go to the TIKKA HOUSE in Kildare Town.We did and the experience is just a taste of salt, so if you like salt,your taste will be indulged at this restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

Diep le shaker Blackrock.

I've eaten four dishes off the menu at this point and it's just not nice nor is it cheap. You have to pay for plain rice, the sweet and sour dish is two vinegary, the rice noodles and beef is mushy and tasteless, the chicken with cashew nuts is unexciting and wow betide anyone who bites into one of the dried chillies in it :eek: I also had a prawn curry that I was unimpressed with. From now on I'm going to get microwave asian food from
    m&s and save some money.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Hi guys.
    Just been reading through the thread and I have a query.

It's my graduation in October and Im looking for somewhere nice but not too expensive to eat with my family. We'll be quite dressed up so nowhere to casual. If an early bird menu was there it'd be an added extra. It's a Saturday evening we'd be looking for. The graduation ceremony will be finished by about 3 so any time after that would suit
    Now my Dad is a typical Irish father who rarely orders anything other than steak so we need to accommodate him.
    Budget would be about 30-40 per person for 2/3 courses.
    Thanks in advance for the suggestions

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

where are you graduating from for us non pyschics!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

€30-40 per person for 3 courses in Dublin, somewhere not so casual, including a steak, is going to be a tough call. 2 courses you might squeeze it although it would be €40, not 30!

Maybe somewhere like FXB would fit the bill? I've never been there mind.

Early bird menus are not too popular on Saturdays and don't tend to include steaks.

If you can stretch the budget a little and keep to two courses, Peploes and Pearl Brasserie are both very good, white tablelinen-type places and do steaks around the €30 mark, starters a little over €10.

http://www.menupages.ie/Restaurants/Pearl_Brasserie.aspx
    http://www.menupages.ie/Restaurants/Peploes_Wine_Bistro.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Daisies wrote: »
    Hi guys.
    Just been reading through the thread and I have a query.

It's my graduation in October and Im looking for somewhere nice but not too expensive to eat with my family. We'll be quite dressed up so nowhere to casual. If an early bird menu was there it'd be an added extra. It's a Saturday evening we'd be looking for. The graduation ceremony will be finished by about 3 so any time after that would suit
    Now my Dad is a typical Irish father who rarely orders anything other than steak so we need to accommodate him.
    Budget would be about 30-40 per person for 2/3 courses.
    Thanks in advance for the suggestions
    Daisies - it might be easier if you stated what part of the country you intend eating in! ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Sorry ya Im a bit of an idiot. Im graduating in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mabet

:confused:Yes I too have a graduation in Dublin in November on a Monday and was looking for a restaurant for 6 to 8 people around 8pm that would serve a good steak menu etc. More importantly someplace that would have a nice ambience and a few people apart from ourselves. Any place on the North side of city would be most suitable. Looking forward to any recommendations:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Darwin's most likely, but not sure of prices. It's on southside but only on Aungier street so not too far away

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yessuh

Hello. I am looking for very good quiet place in Dublin to have a meal with my five friends for our Christmas night out Every year the six of us school friends go out for our girls night out and we can't hear each other speak! This year we want to get it right and a re looking for a place where we can enjoy a nice meal in lovely surroundings and especially we would like that all six of us can join in the conversation, without screaming across the table. We all individually have numerous nights out over the Christmas period that will be noisy and crazy, but for our girls night out we want something different. I suppos the city centre is out of the question, so any place outside that area, though within the boundary of Dublin county. We would like a place that does not "pack them in" during this time of year. Please help. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

hey, anyone got any recommendations for a nice restaurant for a one year anniversary (of going out, not this serious marriage shít ;) )? Looking for somewhere in Dublin that does general international dishes and would be under 100 for the two of us for 2 courses each and drinks! any suggestions welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Checked this place out for lunch last saturday with the family.

Basically its a fancy burger joint along the same lines as Gourmet Burger. There are a number of set burger deals or you can design your own off a step by step tick the box menu (e.g. burger meat, weight, sauces, etc). This option is interesting and gives you lots of choices and the ability to leave out the bun if you so wish (the serve it in a bowl on a bed of lettuce instead). Its all cooked to order so you may be waiting 30mins or so. Waiting staff are very helpful and not overbearing. We were going to order two portions of fries and were advised that one would be enough for two adults. Wasnt overly convinced until they arrived and the portion was huge!

Reasonably priced (burger and fries in around €15). Kids menu as well.

Worth checking out, the interior wont blow you away but the food is well worth it and it is something a little different

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭ALFIET

La Bucca Restaurant in Ratoath is excellent. Their Chicken Wings Perri Perri are divine.

The new Novellos Tapas Bar is great too although it closes too early on a Sunday evening

Advertisement