Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil, coal, turf, briquettes and firewood, where to get?

Options
  • 12-10-2008 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Tell me does anybody know which supplier is offering the cheapest in Galway at the moment?

My Housemates want to get oil right now but I believe the recent drop in the global price of oil will take a few weeks to filter through to the consumer. Should I perhaps encourage them to hold out for a few weeks?

Appreciate any advice, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Good topic.

I rang a few places for prices in 2006 and Corrib Oil came out tops. Since then, every time I need a fill I speed-dial Corrib.

Before I order, I always ask them what they are charging per litre and then just order anyway :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055360593
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=475

Tell them to wrap up in geansaís and hold out!
    (Connell Oil is good btw) Haggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ex sanguination

thanks. I'll try and get them to hold out but no clouds in the sky tonight, going to be hell to convince them tomorrow after they thaw out.

o connell and corrib, i'll try both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Oakbark

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Good topic.

I rang a few places for prices in 2006 and Corrib Oil came out tops. Since then, every time I need a fill I speed-dial Corrib.

Before I order, I always ask them what they are charging per litre and then just order anyway :o

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

Corrib Oil came out the worst for me! Statoil was the Best. For €300, you get 50 litres more from Statoil than Corrib (330l vs. 380l)

I rang most of the oil places in Galway - stick with Statoil unless you can haggle a better price elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

I rang Corrib Oil @ 5pm yesterday and Sweeney Oil (was Statoil?) @ 12pm today. Corrib quoted 680euro for 1000L. Sweeney was 690euro for same amount. From talking to the guys in Sweenyoil it came down 2c yesterday and 2c last Friday.

• Advertisement

leex wrote: »
    I rang Corrib Oil @ 5pm yesterday and Sweeney Oil (was Statoil?) @ 12pm today. Corrib quoted 680euro for 1000L. Sweeney was 690euro for same amount. From talking to the guys in Sweenyoil it came down 2c yesterday and 2c last Friday.

On a thousand litres I believe they offer some kind of discount. My house will be short the thousand though as we'll be paying approx five hundred and twenty euro. I'll ring around though {statoil included}.

Good to hear its dropping

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I usually get about a 10c/litre discount when ordering 1000l+ of diesel - not sure about heating oil

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I usually get about a 10c/litre discount when ordering 1000l+ of diesel - not sure about heating oil

They quoted 2c per litre more for 500L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Well, I ordered oil last week , and was told that over last weekend the price had dropped by 3c, so its obviously on its way down at the moment.

I ordered from Suttons(I always do, I'm a member of their household budget thing), But I got 725litres of kerosene for €544 euro incl VAT.

I thought that was good value; but then I didnt shop around so maybe it isnt:confused:

ok I finally got around to ordering the oil after a cold night. I rang four places and asked for the price per litre VAT and all other costs included, I also asked that they remove any thousand litre discounts from the price as we would be ordering less. I found the price offered to be virtually the same. Corrib Oil, MacMahon oil [EMO], Sweeney Oil[Statoil} offered prices at 65cents per litre. Connell [Texoil} said the price wud be sixty four cents by Monday.

So there you have it {although I'm curious as to Connell oil offering me Monday's price, perhaps he expects it to fall and knew he'd get the drop on the competition by offering me monday's as opposed to todays price] Anyway the oil has been ordered.

• Advertisement

ok I finally got around to ordering the oil after a cold night. I rang four places and asked for the price per litre VAT and all other costs included, I also asked that they remove any thousand litre discounts from the price as we would be ordering less. I found the price offered to be virtually the same. Corrib Oil, MacMahon oil [EMO], Sweeney Oil[Statoil} offered prices at 65cents per litre. Connell [Texoil} said the price wud be sixty four cents by Monday.

So there you have it {although I'm curious as to Connell oil offering me Monday's price, perhaps he expects it to fall and knew he'd get the drop on the competition by offering me monday's as opposed to todays price] Anyway the oil has been ordered.

Going by prices I received during the week one would save 60euro on 1000L by waiting a week.

Anyone order any kerosene/heating oil in the past week
    Have prices come down further?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I just bought 500 litres for €312 and was quoted €600 for 1000 litres from O'Grady Oil in Belclare (Tuam) Woohoo!!

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

I just bought 500 litres for €312 and was quoted €600 for 1000 litres from O'Grady Oil in Belclare (Tuam) Woohoo!!

'c

Who did you buy the 500 litres from?

When you are ringing around ask for the price and then knock a few cents off and say you were quoted that somewhere else. Ask them to do better and you never know, they might.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

€300 for 500ltrs from Top Oil this week

Anyone have any update on heating oil/kerosene quotes in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

snubbleste wrote: »
    Anyone have any update on heating oil/kerosene quotes in town?

Last week €300 for 500 litres from Corrib Oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

DeadSkin wrote: »

Yup we were about the same. Can not remember the exact amount we got but it was a bit over 500L and just a bit over the 300 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

DeadSkin wrote: »

And €480 for 850 litres last week from Corrib...

And a very prompt and efficient service as well, ran out over the weekend, had a full tank lunch time monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

And €480 for 850 litres last week from Corrib...

And a very prompt and efficient service as well, ran out over the weekend, had a full tank lunch time monday.

Just out of curiosity, what is the capacity (in litres) of a typical Oli Tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what is the capacity (in litres) of a typical Oli Tank?

Mine is 950ltrs, but the bottom 50 or so cannot get out, the outlet pipe is a few inches about the bottom of the pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Mine is 950ltrs, but the bottom 50 or so cannot get out, the outlet pipe is a few inches about the bottom of the pipe
    You can sort that by putting a block under the tank on one end to tilt it in the direction of the outlet pipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i was quoted 285 for 500litres by Mór Oil yesterday. tried a load of places and they were the cheapest for a half tank

• Registered Users Posts: 11 wills56

Rang around on Tuesday Corrib oil the cheapest.
    Was also told that they check there prices every Wednesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

corrib oil doing a deal on 500 litres home heating oil
    for €275!!!!!!!:D

minxie1 wrote: »
    corrib oil doing a deal on 500 litres home heating oil for €275!!!!!!!:D

Phone their competitors and ask them to match it
    Connell Oil are doing 500l for €270
    People get the same amount for €240 in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Is home heating oil (Kerosene) always cheaper than green diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Make sure you get some kind of lock for your oil tanks!! Little d!ckheads are going around trying to steal oil!

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Is home heating oil (Kerosene) always cheaper than green diesel?

Yes. Not sure why, different tax rates?

This is a quote from a local supplier
    500l Kerosene @ 0.52 €/ltr = €260
    500l Marked Gas Oil @ 0.545 €/ltr = €272

Advertisement