Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Heating Oil

Options
  • 21-08-2008 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

How would one find out the price of this? Is there any difference between companies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

How would one find out the price of this? Is there any difference between companies?

Lol, that's quite a coincidence you asked this!

The "Galway Home Heating Oil" cartel was the first case in Europe that ended up with member(s) going to prison. RTÉ link, Indo link.

If you're going to buy some, make sure you look for a provider that didn't intentionally screw customers out of millions of euro every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Funny stuff! I like to shop around, not stingy but in fairness heating oil is the same whether I buy it cheaper or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Suttons do a household budget scheme that i've been on for years, its very convenient and they're easy to deal with.

Might be worth giving them a ring about it or calling in to them, they're down on the docks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Funny stuff! I like to shop around, not stingy but in fairness heating oil is the same whether I buy it cheaper or not!

Of course you should be trying to get the best value you can for your money.

Something I've been made aware of only recently though is apparently some petrol from some stations isn't as good as others. There was a guy talking on this forum (motors I think) and he reckoned that he get's more MPG from shell stations. I haven't tested this myself but I would be interested in reading into it further.

Whether you get better MPG or not there are garages that will have dirtier petrol due to old tanks or pumps anyway I would imagine.

All the above would probably apply to kerosene (home heating oil) also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Something I've been made aware of only recently though is apparently some petrol from some stations isn't as good as others. There was a guy talking on this forum (motors I think) and he reckoned that he get's more MPG from shell stations. I haven't tested this myself but I would be interested in reading into it further.

Yeah I read somethin' like that before[not on boards, can't remember where though]. Do ya have a link to that thread by any chance?

• Advertisement

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Yeah I read somethin' like that before[not on boards, can't remember where though]. Do ya have a link to that thread by any chance?

This is where I was reading it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055358832&highlight=petrol+cheap

I've been wondering now for the last 2 or 3 weeks why my car has been noticeably down on power. I've only starting thinking it may be the petrol in the last few days. I've been going to Tesco for months but maybe the latest batch they have isn't the best. At the moment I'm seeing how many miles I can get out of the tank so I'm driving real easy.

I used to be able to manage about 415 miles to a tank so I'll see how the tank I filled up last Sunday goes. I'll work out the MPG then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Hi gaeilgegrinds, just wondering how this went for you. I'm running low at the moment and hoping to look around this week. Who provided the best price for you ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You ring a local oil distributor and get a quote!

Anyhow, I got a quote of €840 for 1000l Marked Gas Oil @ 0.84 €/ltr from Connell Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Note also that some of the oil companies will give a discount for larger quantities. There's a big price difference per litre between 100 litres & 600 litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

This is where I was reading it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055358832&highlight=petrol+cheap

I've been wondering now for the last 2 or 3 weeks why my car has been noticeably down on power. I've only starting thinking it may be the petrol in the last few days. I've been going to Tesco for months but maybe the latest batch they have isn't the best. At the moment I'm seeing how many miles I can get out of the tank so I'm driving real easy.

I used to be able to manage about 415 miles to a tank so I'll see how the tank I filled up last Sunday goes. I'll work out the MPG then.

There's Tesco petrol in Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Is it really gone up that much. I got 1500l 10 months ago of the same guys for 900 euro.. thats heating oil though so hoping its cheaper than the gas..

well, gave them a call, 1200, same as the rest.. its over 20c per litre more.. may have it give it another wk and hope it comes down.

There's Tesco petrol in Galway?

No that's back in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 eoinmadden

I'd always phone around to get quotes for home heating oil.
    I have found that Corrib Oil will often agree to go better than the best quote I get.

No that's back in Mayo.

Ah how unsurprising that Galway misses out on some outside competition for the locals.

And don't get me started on the lack of burger king... :pac:

Ah how unsurprising that Galway misses out on some outside competition for the locals.

And don't get me started on the lack of burger king... :pac:

I'd imagine they will start popping up everywhere in the next few years as tesco announced a massive expansion in Ireland only recently.

I'd imagine they will start popping up everywhere in the next few years as tesco announced a massive expansion in Ireland only recently.

balls... I was hoping you were talking about BK there :D

balls... I was hoping you were talking about BK there :D

I think that shoe shop across the road from Hanleys (logues I think) belongs to burger king. They bought it and couldn't get the tenants out then because of some legal thing....established business and all that. Any ever hear this before?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is it really gone up that much. I got 1500l 10 months ago of the same guys for 900 euro.. thats heating oil though so hoping its cheaper than the gas..

well, gave them a call, 1200, same as the rest.. its over 20c per litre more.. may have it give it another wk and hope it comes down.

Eh, the price of a barrel of oil has increased from $70 last August to $142 in July to $115 now.

Advertisement