Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fishal Olympics Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,128 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nevis did well, just lacked the crispness and neatness to win. The Mongolian was sharper and more accurate. Nevin,a little too wild. He really went for it in the 4th, but it was too much to haul back

The reigning WC lost to an Indian (Kumar) in the bout before; bit of a shock there!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,702 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Nevin was simply outclassed as i thought he would be. There is no shame in that. You do your best and nobody can fault you after that. I hope the lads yet to fight don't let whay happened yesterday and today bother them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Andyfbt

Good thing is Nevin is only 19, he was being more geared towards 2012 but slipped in this year very well indeed. He'll come back for the London games I am sure and this will stand to him. Was facing the rank number 2 so it is no disgrace at all

From 0830 tomorrow morning until about 0915, there are 4 Middle fights. The first is one of Sutherland's opponents (QF stage), should he (Sutherland), win his bout tomorrow. The second bout is Sutherland's; the third is the defending Olympic champion from the welters in Athens, now a 75 kg fighter, against the WC at Middle (Artayev-Korobov); and the last intriguing bout pits Britain V USA, DeGale V Estrada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,901 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

cowzerp wrote: »
    I hate them computers, they just promote negative boxing, they have to go. I know they wont admit there useless but they should. He scored way more than 2.
    Have to agree with you. He definitely scored 4 at least but he was outclassed. I have seen a few really bad decisions and I don't know whether its the judging or the computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

eagle eye wrote: »
    Have to agree with you. He definitely scored 4 at least but he was outclassed. I have seen a few really bad decisions and I don't know whether its the judging or the computers.

Its a bit of both, judges cant possibly see every clean punch from different angles, this is why close in punches rarely count, body shots or uppercuts in close!

i would prefer if they usede the computers as a secondary system if they had the paper decision too close, then it would be down to who the cleaner boxer was..paper shows who dominated and boxing is way more than just punches landed..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

(unfortunitly) that's all amateur boxing is about, clean punches landed, even in paper scoring. Thems the rules in amateur boxing. Boxing is becoming more like fencing, score and retreat, there are no other way to award a boxer points. The only difference was if it was a draw on paper you could award it to the boxer who was leading off, better style but that was/is only when you scored it's draw. Please don't think that this means I support this but they are the rules of the sport. Re the counts for headpunches, continous punches, that's all brought in by the WHO, and you kinda gotta do what they reccommend if you want the sport to continue. You can't have 2 fights a day now under IABA rules following a court decision.

Some good boxing today, great KD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭brick tamland

What a good fight. One of the best I've seen so far

Well done Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Trying to get the result on line and cant find it, he win ?

No coverage here in Oz of course..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Yeah. 4-1 down after a mnute. In control after that showing his massive power. Blanco was superb in the fight before though.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Very impressive by Darren, wouldn't like to be on the end of some of those shots;)

Really looking forward to his bout against Blanco. It will be no place for the fainthearted.

Trying to get the result on line and cant find it, he win ?

No coverage here in Oz of course..

yeah, he stopped the other lad in the last round when he was 4/5 points up anyway. the other lad was out on his feet, should have been stopped earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭EOB32

Darren was very impressive coming back strongly to stop a decent opponent. Blanco will be much tougher and more skillful so Darren needs to go up a gear but I reckon he has more in him and can give Blanco a right good scrap. IF he wins that whos to say he cant go all the way??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

efb wrote: »
    (unfortunitly) that's all amateur boxing is about, clean punches landed, even in paper scoring. Thems the rules in amateur boxing. Boxing is becoming more like fencing, score and retreat, there are no other way to award a boxer points. The only difference was if it was a draw on paper you could award it to the boxer who was leading off, better style but that was/is only when you scored it's draw. Please don't think that this means I support this but they are the rules of the sport. Re the counts for headpunches, continous punches, that's all brought in by the WHO, and you kinda gotta do what they reccommend if you want the sport to continue. You can't have 2 fights a day now under IABA rules following a court decision.

Some good boxing today, great KD.
    Wrong! On paper the scores are done by aggression, style, defore and punches landed, thats the rules, the rules you state is just computer scoring.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

not wrong!, Ive sat the exams and have three rule books, paper is 20 marks a round the loser gets deducted points based on the landed punches points difference. The only other deductions are for warnings. Only in a tie does the other factors come into play. I'll try to find an online rulebook to refrence, it was drummed into me for long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Barnes wins comfortably in the end, haven't seen him before and really impressed. He was well ahead in the last 30 seconds but still was stalking his man. The Ecuadorian looked shattered and wanted it over, Barnes pounded him for the last 10 secs. 3 Irish still in it - G'wan!

joker77 wrote: »
    Barnes wins comfortably in the end, haven't seen him before and really impressed. He was well ahead in the last 30 seconds but still was stalking his man. The Ecuadorian looked shattered and wanted it over, Barnes pounded him for the last 10 secs. 3 Irish still in it - G'wan!

Feck, I missed it

good stuff with the win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

anyone know much about the pole that barnes will be fighting? (maszczyk) can't say he seemed all that, though i know the namibian is commonwealth games champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

well done to barnes & sutherland for winning this morning they both looked very strong although i taught sutherland looked a little loose defensively but jeez is he powerful but we expected him to be. Does it surprise anyone that our 2 boxers who havent got thru to the next round are counter-punchers, seems that the go forward style seems to be bearing more fruit....although I dont think nevin or joyce have it in them to radically alter their stlyles

• Advertisement

I would say that Egan boxes excellently for the computer picking off his punches and moving. Barnes scored well when he did this. Sutherland (why do people keep calling him Sunderland???) is not a point scoring boxer, and usually wins by stoppage, both him self and O'Neill at middle are power punchers rather than point scorers. Luckily they seem to encourage fighting in these olymipcs (through the ref's cautions for not boxing) so we get to see some good nice exchanges.

I'd love to see all the guys medal but would be happy if two did. love Kenny to get silver.

Not to harp on about this but:

(d) Concerning the award of scoring blows.
    (1) At the end of the bout the scores for each of the rounds will be totaled and the winner will be the one with the higher score.
    (2) If, at the end of a bout, having marked each round, the judge finds that the boxers are equal in scoring blows after totaling the scorecard, the judge is required to select a winner. The judge must record the criteria for the selection of the winner. The judge must record the criteria for the selection of the winner in the remarks column next to the scorecard total of the winner. The criteria for selecting a winner is as follows:
    (a) Who has done most of the leading off or was the effective aggressor? If equal, in that respect:
    (b) Who has shown the better defense (blocking, parrying, ducking, side-stepping, etc.) by which the opponent’s attacks have been made to miss? If still equal:
    (c) Who boxed cleaner and had the better style?
    (d) A winner must be nominated in all competitions (in AIBA dual matches, a draw decision may be awarded).
    (3) Knockdowns. No extra points shall be awarded for a knockdown.

just saw the Sutherland fight- it was an easy enough one to score both with good clean punching. Love to have judged it. Ref should def have stopped it- I'd definatly be called up on that if I let it go. Sutherland really needs to tighten up his defense though, his next should be a cracker. His fight today made the AIBA press release Headline too!

Both lads did brilliant I thought. Darren was so strong and accurate and his next bout could be the fight of the tournament. Hard to back against Blanco, who I was very impressed with. He has a speed advantage over Darren and is faster on his feet too. Lets hope Darren's camp come up with a strategy and win. It's gonna' be a real close tough one I feel.

Barnes really rose to the occasion and looks like he WANTS to be there and is so passionate. That's half the battle and he was very good

• Registered Users Posts: 16,702 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Has Blanco got a good chin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

When are the remaining Irish boxers fighting? Hopefully they will be a reasonable hour when plenty of people can watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

:) To answer my own question:

Barnes will fight Tues 19th @ 12.00

Egan will fight Tues 19th @ 14.16

Sutherland will fight Weds 20th @ 13.00

All times are Irish.

Source:
    http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/Schedule/BX_2008-08-20.shtml

Has Blanco got a good chin?
    I assume so, as he has beaten Darren already ( 2 point winner WC 2007).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

Dowling said Blanco won by 2, but he actually won 20-13 and it was as decisive as the score suggests.

While it was an excellent bout to watch for the neutral, I wasn't as impressed by Darren as everyone else seems to be. His punches were very crisp and powerful, but it was in getting into range he was regularly caught. The main reason being he threw his first jab at the very, very end of the first round and his next one in the middle of the third ! If he fights like that against Blanco he'll be picked off easily, especially as his favoured punch seems to be the left hook and Blanco's is the long straight right. Hopefully, he'll have different tactics worked out and do the business.

• Advertisement

Well Dowling misled us there didn't he?

I was impressed by Darren's enthusiasm and his focus as much as his talent. He never relented, took flush shots and still was calm and not fazed. His defence isn't the best, but that has always been the case and it is his style, which he can't change too much at this stage.

Darren's strength is his power and stamina and I would say, CHIN.

He doesn't employ lateral footwork, which again, can't really be altered much at this stage.

I am looking forward to the bout, but believe this Blanco will be a little too clever and fleet footed.

As for his chances in the pro's?, I am not too confident. He takes too much and in the pro's, this could be
    very dangerous, plus, he is a little OLD to really have an impact. He is starting a little late I feel

Advertisement