Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fishal Olympics Boxing Thread

Options
  • 06-08-2008 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

right lets try and keep it all in here eh.

Who's up first for us - is it Ken - what time is the for us?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

For anyone with a Sky box, BBC will have all the Olympic boxing coverage live on interactive starting on Saturday at 6:30am.

Link for schedule:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/bsp/hi/olympics2008/epg/html/epg.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

the beeb have also had boxing docs today. one on cuban boxing by bunce-y now. interesting stuff. hope for more tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Sutherland may be first up. Depends on draw

Middleweight bouts scheduled for between 6.30am and 8.00am (Irish Time) and betweeen 12.00pm and 1.30pm (IT)

Light Heavy bouts scheduled for between 8.00am and 9.30am (Irish Time) and betweeen 1.30pm and 3pm (IT)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,620 ✭✭✭✭walshb

please post links to threads...

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/Schedule/BX.shtml

This doesn't say what time zone the bouts are taking place. Is it local China
    time or is it standard GMT?

Must be local time as it doesn't say otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Excellent idea. According to RTE the draw takes place at 11am Local Time...........is that our time or Beijing time???

Btw Beijing are +8 hours ahead of us.

:eek::eek::eek: Jaysus just read on rte website aswell that Frankie Gavin......englands lightweight will miss the olympics because he can't make the weight.........thats a terrible disappointment:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,620 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Beijing are currently 7 hrs ahead of Irish time.
    The link I gave is China time. I am almost certain

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Great that we have 5 boxers in Beijing.

Could some experts:cool: please give opinions on their prospects.

walshb wrote: »
    Beijing are currently 7 hrs ahead of Irish time.
    The link I gave is China time. I am almost certain

Correct my bad :rolleyes:

As Soon as the draw is made I'll have the Irish schedule up here (with Irish times...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

DubCul wrote: »
    Great that we have 5 boxers in Beijing.

Could some experts:cool: please give opinions on their prospects.

Barnes and Joyce have no chance of medalling, Nevin, Sutherland and Egan have a small chance of getting a bronze. Although it's more likely none of them will than any of them will.

I reckon we'll get two quarter-finalists, two second rounds and one out in the first(most likely Joyce). The best realistic chance is a Bronze, two losing quarter finalists and 2 in the second round.

Here's the format: There are 11 weight divisions in the Olympics. Two of those have 16 boxers competing in the weight class(Heavyweight and Super-Heavyweight), while the other 9 have 28.

There were also two wildcard entries for the Olympics, one has ended up at Light-Flyweight, and the other at Welterweight so these divisions have 29 boxers in them.

Now obviously enough Heavyweight and Super-Heavyweight have perfect numbers so they just work away from a straight draw with everyone starting at the round of 16 stage.

Flyweight, Bantamweight, Featherweight, Lightweight, Light-Welterweight, Middleweight and Light-Heavyweight have 28 so what happens is 24 boxers fight in the first round and 4 receive a bye into the next round.
    That leaves us with 16 boxers from then on and everythings a straight draw from there.

The same happens at Light-Flyweight and Welterweight except it's 26 boxers fight in the first round and only 3 get a bye into the second.

Simple enough really.

If you want to know when the Irish guys are fighting a guy on the Athletics forum has very nicely put up a schedule for all Irish competitors in Beijing http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055335918

Sutherland and Egan could be the first out, but then again one or both could get a bye so it's not certain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Nice one for all the info, can't wait for this to start now

Here is Kerry Kayes'(Ricky Hatton's nutritionist) who had been working with Gavin take on this.

Another excellant article from the Guardian(and Donald Mcrae) btw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Big Ears wrote: »
    Here is Kerry Kayes'(Ricky Hatton's nutritionist) who had been working with Gavin take on this.

Another excellant article from the Guardian(and Donald Mcrae) btw
    Missing the link Big Ears - here is is

joker77 wrote: »
    Missing the link Big Ears - here is is

lol :D, cheers for that. I got a bit ahead of myself :o

Gary Russell Jr (massive medal favourite) doesn't make weight at bantam

First news of draw
    Can't find better yet. Barnes receives bye. Sutherland faces Algerian Will post more when i find it

48kg Paddy Barnes v Jose Luis Menza - Equador......in last 16

54kg JJ Nevin v Abdelhalim Ourradi - Algeria.......in Last 32 if he wins he will face Mongolia or Mexico

64kg JJ Joyce v Gyula Kate - Hungry........in last 32 if he wins he will face Dom Republic or Armenia

75kg Darren Sutherland v Nabil Kassell - Algeria.........in last 16

81kg Ken Egan v Julius Jackson - Virgin Ireland......in last 32, he will face Turkey or Kenya should he advance

Not bad draws there for most, id imagine JJ Joyce has the toughest.

EDIT:
    http://www.aiba.org/en-US/events/2008Olympics.aspx

Draw sheets above

The Irish Path to medals
    Light Fly
    Barnes will fight Meza of Ecuador in last 16. If he wins his last 8 fiight will be against Namibia/Poland/sierra Leone. Hopefully he'll then fight gold medal favourite Shiming Zou in the semis

Bantam
    Nevin will fight Ourradi of Algeria. Then the winner of Mongolia/Mexico in the last 16. Hopefully setting up a quarter final with the winner of Australia/Botswana/Colombia/Morocco. Pretty tough draw

Light Welter
    Joyce wil fight Kate of Hungary in first round. Then the winner of Domincan Republic/Armenia. Hopefully setting up a QF with the winner of Iran/Tunisia/Romania/Puerto Rico

Middle
    Sutherland received bye in first round. In last 16 he'll fight Nabil Kessel. Then hopefully he'll fight the winner of Domincan Republic and Venzuala for a medal. Blanco of Venezuala beat Sutherland in the last 16 of the 2007 worlds. Tough draw

Light Heavy
    Egan will fight Julius Jackson of the Virgin Isles (He beat him at the 2007 worlds). Hopefully fighting the winner of Turkey/Kenya in last 16. IN the last 8 he'll fight the winner of haiti/Brazil/Ghana/Nigeria

Looks like Nevin and Egan have a great chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

MBC wrote: »
    Looks like Nevin and Egan have a great chance.

I'd say Nevin and Joyce have it hardest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭dbrady01

that is one of the worst draws jj joyce could have got. Kate has beaten him handy enough in the past ( twice this year i think ) But you never know maybe this time is his time.

• Advertisement

Egan has a real chance.

He's beaten Julius jackson before (RSC). The turkish fighter got in when Ismayl Silakh of Ukraine was kicked out. Aziz Ali made it through at the final African qualifier. All 4 possible oppenents in the QF made it through at the last continental qualifier (bar the Brazilian who made it through in the first contintental) None have medalled at major events before (although the haitian won the 2008 Golden Gloves). The Ghanain is new to the weight having stepped up from Middleweight

Apart from Egan...
    Barnes's draw is tougher than I thought. Meza is another relative newcomer. He easily won the 1st Americas qualifier though. If he gets through that I'd expect him to fight the Namibian commonwealth champion (2005) Jafet Uutoni. If not he could face the Swaziland fighter who beat Barnes at the 2006 commonwealth games (although no dount that Barnes has come on since the)

Joyce was beaten 32-17 by Kate in the 2007 Worlds. He's an expereinced fighter having won bronze at 2003 worlds and 2004 & 2006 europeans. If he gets through that he wouldn't fear any of the boxers in his path.

Nevin's draw is very tough. Oradi won the 1st African qualifer. IF he gets through that he'll probably fight the World Silver medallist Badar-Uugan from Mongolia. IF he gets through that, he'd be favourite to medal (unlikely though) in the QF.

Sutherland should beat Kessel (who finished 3rd in the first African qualifier). After that he's likely to face Blanco. Blanco beat Sutherland 20-13 in the last 16 of the 2007 Worlds and went on to win Silver. He also beat James Degale of England, who Sutherland has had a few figths with. Blanco would be a strong favourite

Apologies for replying to myself but

Confirmed Irish Fighters times

Saturday 9th
    8.30am (Irish time) KEn Egan v Julius Jackson (Virgin Isles)

Sunday 10th
    7.30am John Joe Joyce v gyula Kate (Hungary)

Tuesday 12th
    2.15pm John Joe Nevin v Abdelhalim Ourradi (Algeria)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

thanks a lot for the updats lads,,,,,, super stuff and good luck to the lads, ill be cheering on from the armchair

To be honest that's as good as we could expect really. Great draw for Egan, the draws for Sutherland and Nevin aren't that bad either. Yes both of them will have to get through guys that have won Silver at the World Championships, but you can't expect to medal without beating quality opposition and the rest of the guys they have on their path to a medal aren't that difficult.

Joyce got a terrible draw for him Gyula Kate has beaten him very widely twice in the last year, it would take a very impressive turnaround for him to come out of that one the winner.

Barnes draw is nearly as good as you could expect aswell, whether he'll be good enough to progress with it we'll see but he's been given every chance to medal if he's good enough.

I think we have to be pretty satisfied with that draw.

I'm going to make a bold prediction of Silver for Egan (beating Tony Jeffries of England in the semis). Who knows what will happen on the other side of the draw with the former Soviet States knocking hell out of each other.

Sutherland has a fighting chance of bronze (and should get to fight for it). I seem to remember that he was slight favourite (among independent commentators) going into the Blanco fight so, although an underdog, its not the hardest draw. I'll predict Bronze

Barnes, again, has a chance at Bronze. He'll be fighting 2nd tier guys (like himself) and if he performs as well as he did in Chicago, he'll medal. I'll predict a QF loss to Uutoni

I think Nevin will win the first round but lose out to the Mongolian in the last 16

I think Joyce will lose in his opening bout.

Interestingly, Sutherland and barnes don't open their account until next Saturday. Hopefully at that stage Egan, Joyce and Nevin have 2 under their belt and looking forward to a third

I've backed Darren Sutherland to medal at 9/1 with Paddy

He should beat the Algerian, which will then mean he's one fight away from a medal. Granted that fight should against Blanco, the world silver medallist (who beat Sutherland in the last 16) but Sutherland would be no more than 2/1 in that fight.

Outstanding value IMO

Egan wins 22-2. Quite comfortable. He fell in the 2nd round. The only round he conceded any points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Good performance by Egan. Hopefully the good start will give encouragement to the other lads

Advertisement