Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fishal Olympics Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

DubCul wrote: »
    Kenny's next bout is next Tuesday v Silva (Brazil)

No time as yet.

didnt think much of the Brazilian tbh - Egan can beat him imo - hope he gets Jeffries then and then we COULD have a finalist - get fooooking in!!

yes yes I know I am getting ahead of myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Great result,Very decent performance,
    As to be expected the opposition is/will get harder , Silva with be another step up , Think Egan can win it but it will be no walk in the park,
    Silva look pretty good and sound and even managed the impossible in round 1 (scored a body shot :eek::eek:) Has a good defence,
    Having said that he seems to carry his defence on the high side and is open to rights hooks to the body, Also his age (32) seemed to catch up with him in the last round and finished a very tired fighter (his fitness was not helped by amount of body shots he had to soak up )
    Having said this I expect Egan to be a hell of alot more accurate ,focused , restrained and professional that his opponent today, And should be enough to see him through.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

he,s getting hit on the break every time, ref should be breaking it up.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

he has not broke them us once, joyce will catch him up i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

great round 3 by joyce so far

• Advertisement

that was a very heavy hit joyce took

9-8 up now. After been 5 to 1 down. :)

joyce leads by 1 but a very messy fight

he,s getting hit on the break every time, ref should be breaking it up.

countback, prick of a ref.

• Advertisement

lost, hard luck johnjoe. Robbed by that ****e reffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Beaten on countback, unlucky, but think correct result:(

that ref was fluckin disgraceful like cowz said everytime they broke up joyce got a slap and the judges scored it........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭p.u.d.z.e.r.

How does countback work? Is it just whoever won the last round?

How does countback work? Is it just whoever won the last round?

Whoever got the most presses of buttons including the non scoring ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

no it's all the points awarded by the middle three of the judges. not just the ones that registered, where three need ot press the button within second, but every time they pressed it added together. no word on the official site of the score on countback.

ref was poor, and should have warned diaz. but he didn't, and the right man, unfortunately, won. he can be positive for 2012 though

• Registered Users Posts: 54,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Missed the Joyce fight. Hard luck to him.

I saw Egan this morning who did very well and looked very composed, accurate and neat.

His only problem is he seems to be falling in lazily after he throws the big left cross and this could be very dangerous against a heavy hitter with a good counter hook.

He has the beatings of the Brazilian I feel who had a very tough win against that ROCK of a Gahanian. The Ghanian threw some real heavy hopks throughout, lovely powerful and compact hitter he was. I'm glad the Brazilian got thru and not him, as I think he could do serious damage to Egan if he landed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭dbrady01

the ref was a bit quick to issue the warning imop. I would blame the judges more than the ref they are the ones who were pressing the buttons after the ref said break but the ref was poxy. JJ can still hold his head high tho so well done to him. Hopefully he will stay amature till 2012 and with the experiance will stand to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

more bad news for joyce

the romanian, Gheorge, who won bronze in athens lost to his iranian opponent in the next fight. he could have got a nice quarter final had it gone the other way. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

BRADLEY SAUNDERS OF UK ON NEXT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Missed the fight but hard luck on Joyce.

Egan was impressive this morning, Looking forward to his next bout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Scootay

Joyce was keeping his hands down when stepping away from Diaz. That cost him his 2 points against Kate and cost him again here. My heart goes out to him after coming from 1-5 down to lead 11-10 with seconds to go. Ref should have given Diaz a warning but it's all meaningless now.

Best of luck to Nevin tomorrow.

Tw good fights after Joyce's. The Mongolian looked very good in beating the Bulgarian and Vastine from France is one tricky classy fighter. He beat Britains
    Bradley Saunders in a good, but often scrappy contest. The French fighter IMO will be hard to beat from here on in. I have seen him twice no and he really is good. The world champ at 64kg also got thru, another brillian figher, Sapiyev I think is the name, from KAZ

fatgav wrote: »
    no it's all the points awarded by the middle three of the judges. not just the ones that registered, where three need ot press the button within second, but every time they pressed it added together. no word on the official site of the score on countback.

ref was poor, and should have warned diaz. but he didn't, and the right man, unfortunately, won. he can be positive for 2012 though

thats correct

walshb wrote: »
    Missed the Joyce fight. Hard luck to him.

I saw Egan this morning who did very well and looked very composed, accurate and neat.

His only problem is he seems to be falling in lazily after he throws the big left cross and this could be very dangerous against a heavy hitter with a good counter hook.

He has the beatings of the Brazilian I feel who had a very tough win against that ROCK of a Gahanian. The Ghanian threw some real heavy hopks throughout, lovely powerful and compact hitter he was. I'm glad the Brazilian got thru and not him, as I think he could do serious damage to Egan if he landed

I was actually thinkin the opposite Bren - I thought that the Ghanian's style would have suits Egans counter punching. The Ghanian was awesomely crude but very effective against someone that is static - thats not Egan.

Anyway we'll never know now and I still think that Egan can beat the Brazilian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

So if Egan wins the quarter final, is he gaurenteed at least a bronze?

FatherTed wrote: »
    So if Egan wins the quarter final, is he gaurenteed at least a bronze?

sure is

I was actually thinkin the opposite Bren - I thought that the Ghanian's style would have suits Egans counter punching. The Ghanian was awesomely crude but very effective against someone that is static - thats not Egan.

Anyway we'll never know now and I still think that Egan can beat the Brazilian

Egan definitely has the skills to beat him, but the Gahanian was pretty vicious I thought. A real heavy hard hitter. I didn't think he was crude at all. Super strong and fit. He had a PRO style. Did you think Egan's stamina was a little suspect?
    I did and I hope it doesn't let him down in the next out

walshb wrote: »
    Egan definitely has the skills to beat him, but the Gahanian was pretty vicious I thought. A real heavy hard hitter. I didn't think he was crude at all. Super strong and fit. He had a PRO style. Did you think Egan's stamina was a little suspect?
    I did and I hope it doesn't let him down in the next out

Well I actually was thinkin to myself that someone will snap the Ghanian up for the pro game. I thought he was crude to be honest, but that may have been because he had to rush his game because of the 2 minute rounds.

Kenny definately appeared it fade a end but he has 5 day til his next fight so he has plenty of time to recover. Do you reckon he have overtrained? There isnt really any reason that he should be fading - he's not that old and the fights he's had have been "wars"

• Advertisement

Over trained I don't think is Egan's problem. I would say it's years making 81 kgs, and as you mentioned, he is still relatively young. I just hope it doesn't let him down in his next bout

Advertisement