Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fishal Olympics Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

megadodge wrote: »
    That's why he's rapidly becoming my favourite boxer !!

hope ye like the article I did on him on Wikipedia after he qualified at the world - could be a little out of date as I havent edited it since the limpicks started

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_Barnes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

He's got this lads number, no doubt!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

makl wrote: »
    massive chance of gettin to final when he does fight jeffries ;)

should be now - just before Kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

great first 2 rounds

keep it up lad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Egan 3-0 up after first

• Advertisement

3-0 after 2nd

7-0 after 3rd. Egan in total control

just fantastic

2 mins

PLEASEEEEEE

YES

Get in there

TWO THROUGH

GREAT DAY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Congrats Kenny.

Was it just me or were those judges hesitant to score punches?

• Advertisement

Egan wins 8-0.

Fabulous win. At least 2 medals now. Brilliant return for the team (so far)

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    YES

Get in there

TWO THROUGH

GREAT DAY

we want three, we want three!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Great performance by Kenny there

was by far the better fighter, could go all the way now

Great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 37,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That was brilliant and so well deserved.

But we want three now as sligobhoy said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

delighted for him,really deserved and he wanted this so much.
    Great day for boxing in this country and best of luck to darren sutherland tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Brilliant stuff - so much for all the naysayers - 2 down 1 to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

top class, fair play to yis lads, now come on darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

Egan keeps improving...great fight....im liking our chances of him being in the final, well on paper he should beat him but yad never know, in sayin that on paper if he gets to the final hell lose, but it aint as easy as that, would love him to win it outright....

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Near perfect performance by Kenny Egan, all the work that has been done by elite boxers bearing fruit:pac:

Darren, make it a treble, good luck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

Hup ya boya !!!

It just gets better and better.

• Advertisement

we want three, we want three!!!

YES greed is a good thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Brilliant performance, should of been 20 something to nil!
    he'll beat jefferies... :)
    he's beat him before and will again..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Brilliant performance, should of been 20 something to nil!
    he'll beat jefferies... :)
    he's beat him before and will again..

yeah I reckon Kenny will beat Tony.

Still cant see Paddy getting past Zou - I sooooo hope I am wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Andyfbt

Egan has a great chance of at least a silver. Barnes is coming up against the fav and world champion, there's always hope but there'll be no shame if he doesn't make it. He's been a joy to watch so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

cowzerp wrote: »
    should of been 20 something to nil!

That scoring system is well flawed. I scored that fight 17-2 to Egan.

Anyway, great fight and well done to both our boxers today. Best of luck to Darren tomorrow. One thing's for sure, he won't hold back!

With 9 of the 11 weight categories having their semi finalists decided, the follwoing countries are guaranteed medals. Puts our great showing in perspective IMO

Cuba 6
    China 4
    Azerbaijan 3
    Ireland 2
    GB 2
    Italy 2
    Kazakhstan 2
    Mongolia 2
    Russia 2
    Ukraine 2
    Armenia 1
    Dominican Republic 1
    France 1
    Korea 1
    Mauritius 1
    Moldova 1
    Thailand 1
    Turkey 1
    USA 1

The times for the lads semis

Friday
    12pm (Irish time)
    Barnes v Zou Shiming (China)

2pm (Irish Time)
    Egan v Tony Jeffries (GB)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Well done lads great work. Reckon as before it's Kenny for the silver and Barnes for the bronze. Can't see Darren winning tomorrow but love it if he did.

As an R/J just watching how the scoring in these championships seems to be low, effectively meaning only the good clean powerful shots count and the pitter patter don't (unlike Chicago). Looks aswell as though the refs have been encouraged to get the boxers to fight and not to be so quick with warnings/cautions as happened earlier in the championships.

I'm sticking with my revised prediction of 1 silver, 1 bronze, but hopefully I'll be underestimating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Before I start giving accolades to what is an immense achievement by two of our boxers, why are RTÉ continually lying to us.

Dowling said Blanco beat Sutherland by 2 points in the World Championship, it was actually 20-13.

Peter Collins claimed Barnes lost to Zou 30-13 in the World Championships, he didn't it was 22-8. Are they just making stuff up for the craic ?

Jeffries loss to Egan in the EU Championships was on a cut btw, but Egan is still the better boxer for me.

Anyway, simply fantastic from the two lads. Barnes seems to be continually improving and is so hard to hit with an almost Winky Wright like guard.
    He knows how to unsettle opponents aswell as he's very rough in there and for his size(he's actually small enough at the weight) very strong.

The bad news for Paddy is he's in against a very classy opponent next. Zou Shiming forces guys to lunge in to try and connect on him and then he's able to counter with cat like reflexes. He's also got a big advantage being Chinese as despite what Walshb has said in another thread home boxers do get favoured in the Olympics and Chinese boxers have been favoured so far.

This is not a 50/50 contest, it's a 90/10 contest in Zou's favour. But Paddy will give it his all and that's all we can expect from him. He's done fantastic this far and has been a credit to Irish boxing and Irish Sport, as has Egan.

Now Kenny, I expected him to win today and he did so fairly comfortably.
    I think the Ghanaian(who I felt should have beat the Brazilian) would have been tougher for Egan and would have put more pressure on. With that said the Brazilian was made to look worse than he was today because he just didn't know what to do with Kenny's footwork and movement. He didn't let his hands go more because he knew he'd be countered and basically the Brazilian was coming in with two chances today, very slim and none.....and he knew it.

I said a few days ago it would be disappointing if Egan didn't win Silver considering his draw and I stand by that. An Olympic bronze medalist is a great achievement don't get me wrong, but he is capable of more and hopefully will deliver more.

Tomorrow will be very tough for Sutherland, but it'll be bombs away from both men and we'll be able to enjoy it no matter what the result. If he were to win though it'd be the best win out of any of the lads to get to the semi-finals because Blanco is the World Silver medalist, he punches as hard as Darren and he's a cuter slicker boxer than Darren. We can live in hope though and no doubt he'll be inspired by what went on today.

Big Ears wrote: »
    Before I start giving accolades to what is an immense achievement by two of our boxers, why are RTÉ continually lying to us

The bit that annoys me is their constant use of "world rankings". There no official world rankings and the only thing that comes cclose is the completely unnofficial ABA rankings. Now don't get me wrong, these are handy to look at, but RTE are using them as gospel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Thanks for all the info lads...

Advertisement